ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time limit to enter UK after EC - HO answer

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

srikp

Post by srikp » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:39 pm

VictoriaS wrote:Apols.

Most other categories of visa state that you should enter within 3 months of entry (ie spousal).

Victoria
So, you mean to say, not just the HSMP holder but the HSMP dependent (spouse) also needs to need to enter UK within 3 months to avoid immigration hassles?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:35 pm

To avoid hassles, then three months. I have known people be refused entry when they have come in later than this, althoguh they were spouses of UK nationals.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

umanghere

Post by umanghere » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:01 am

Hi Victoria,

Just to confirm what you said- A person on HSMP should try and enter within 3 months of getting Visa Stamped to avoid any hassles.

The same thing should be followed for any of his/her dependents. Again this has nothing related to when the HSMP application was approved, but clock begins when your visa is stamped .

Please confirm.

umanghere

Post by umanghere » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:19 am

Hi All,

This is the reply I got from vfsuk.north@vfsglobal.com today.

'Kindly note that after getting the HSMP letter one should enter in the UK with Visa within six months.'

Looks like their is no clarity between BHC/VFS offices in different cities?

This was the reply from Delhi VFS.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:50 pm

HSMP holder MUST enter within 6 months of stamping.

Their dependents should enter within 3 months.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

srikp

Post by srikp » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:48 pm

I have spoken to the Immigration department in London Heathrow and I was told that 6 months is the time limit for HSMP holders/dependents to enter UK. They added that the time limit is normally decided by the BHC of respective countries. So, BHC could tell me more about my query.

When I said that I had received contrasting statements about time limit to enter UK, I was told that it's best to enter UK as soon as possible but generally 6 months is the time limit. Meanwhile, according to them, if circumstances change, then an IO has the authority to refuse entry even within that period.

As usual, things are as clear as mud.

casper1
Newly Registered

Post by casper1 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:27 pm

I entred U.K 7.5 months after my EC was issued from Islamabad for just 12 months.

Immigration officials at heathrow was also aware of the fact that my visa was issued 7.5 months back but still they allowed me to enter U.K without any problem.

If six month is the rule then I should have not been allowed to enter in the U.K.

It could the case that 6 month rule might not be in practice by most immigration officals at aiport.

My suggestion to all those not to worry about 6 months rule and fly to U.K on their plans without having worry of being deported or entry refused.

I am sure many of this board members entred U.K six months their EC was issued...However no one in this board ever witnessed of refused entry to U.K as per this 6 month rule............... Am I right????

So more likely this is the rule just in the books not in practice.

srikp

Post by srikp » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:29 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience, Casper1.
Did you enter UK recently?

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:09 pm

My $.06 worth note
Guys, You are missing vital point here.

First of all if you got Visa for 2 years then you can travel to UK any time during those two years. I would say No problem at all, it was the same when I got into Nwe Zealand and Australia on Permanent residency.

Now here is catch 1.

Why you get HSMP visa so that after 5 years you will get ILR. and to satisfy that you have to be in UK x amount of days every years.
For example Casper1, he is entered in UK after 7.5 months of his EC, for him this year will not consider for his ILR application. now to qualify for his ILR he have to apply for FLR again.

Now here is Catch 2.

I beleive you have to show last 12 months payslip for extension of your HSMP. Take example of Casper1, He almost wasted 8 months of his visa.
Say he isn't able to get a Job over 35 in next 4-5 month( which is possible)
Then he would not be able to even qulify for HSMP extension.
I wish him all the best.

Good luck all.
Kaff

srikp

Post by srikp » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:30 pm

Agreed, Kaff.

Catch1 - Yes, it happens to most of us because unless we enter within one month of EC stamping, we need to file for FLR twice before ILR. This, ofcourse, can be avoided if you are fortunate to get a post-dated EC. I didn't fall into that category although I had requested for it.

Catch2 - Yes, I agree with you again - but we are just trying to know if there's any time-limit as such.

Thanks.

kck9
BANNED

Post by kck9 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:45 pm

Hello srikp,

What do you mean postdated EC. Is it something starting date will be in future????

srikp

Post by srikp » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:10 pm

Yes, you can request for your visa start date to be later than the current date. ('Current date' meaning the date when the visa is being processed. Generally, if visa is issued, the start date is the day the visa has been granted).

kck9
BANNED

Post by kck9 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Are you telling this about the initial EC approval or is it the extensions in UK you are talking about.
Please confirm. I would like to know if this 'requesting for later date' can be done for extension.......

Thnx in advance

srikp

Post by srikp » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:58 pm

I am talking about the initial visa. I am not aware of doing this for an extension.

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:59 am

srikp wrote:Yes, you can request for your visa start date to be later than the current date. ('Current date' meaning the date when the visa is being processed. Generally, if visa is issued, the start date is the day the visa has been granted).
Just to add a note. You can only request a postdate of max 3 months. Hope this helps.
Kaff