ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship By Descent, HOW?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Re: British Citizenship By Descent, HOW?

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:57 pm

noajthan wrote:
Jawad94 wrote:I have a friend who has the Italian and Syrian citizenships and works as an engineer in Sweden and we've been close for 5 years. I hope it would work out.
It may cause some delay but should be good enough.

You will need a colour photocopy of their passport page with their photograph on it (as well as to have your passport photos signed by her/him).

As my countersignatory is in a different country from the country where I am going to make the application form, would it be possible for them to fill in the information via an electronic file. In other words, is the passport application available in a soft copy e.g. (.doc) or other similar file extensions? Or it is only available in printed paper where I have to send the application form from Beirut (the country where I will be applying) to Sweden (the country where my countersignatory is).

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:24 pm

Jawad94 wrote:As my countersignatory is in a different country from the country where I am going to make the application form, would it be possible for them to fill in the information via an electronic file. In other words, is the passport application available in a soft copy e.g. (.doc) or other similar file extensions? Or it is only available in printed paper where I have to send the application form from Beirut (the country where I will be applying) to Sweden (the country where my countersignatory is).
Not sure.

I have seen soft copies of previous versions of the form.
And paper copies are available in British post offices. (The authorities don't expect everyone to be online; the Uk is not so advance in the digital area).

It may be possible to arrange to scan and send you a copy of the current form. (Leave it with me).

But your countersignatory will still have to contact you in some way so as to mail you back your passport photos (once they have signed them; s/he has to verify your picture and sign the back of them).

And they will have send you a copy of their passport data page (unless s/he sends you a colour scan to print out).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:36 pm

The latest form is in soft copy already (pdf).

It should be editable with one of those PDF editors.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ation-form

This must be the guidance you meant when you were talking about educational certificates, medical card etc.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _09.15.PDF

I can now see the range of documents required is more stringent than for some other areas.
But yes its only the content that relates to identity that matters in this context.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:14 pm

noajthan wrote:The latest form is in soft copy already (pdf).

It should be editable with one of those PDF editors.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ation-form

This must be the guidance you meant when you were talking about educational certificates, medical card etc.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _09.15.PDF

I can now see the range of documents required is more stringent than for some other areas.
But yes its only the content that relates to identity that matters in this context.
So is it possible for me just to fill in the information on this file and then send them via email to my countersignatory to be completed by them in their section? (as for the picture, it is inevitable to use the old-fashioned way which is sending the photo via email too to be printed in their country and having their signature on the back of one of them and then send the pictures back but in a physical mean).

As for the extra documents, I possess the following of the list you've seen in the guidance file:

• A document from my university that proves I am a student at the faculty of electrical and electronic engineering at Aleppo University in addition to my ID.
• A baccalaureate degree
• Syrian passport that expires in 2020
• Civil Register (the one I attached before)
• Parent's marriage certificate
• As for the medical/health card, I don't have one, it is possible to have such a thing though, but what kind of tests and exams should I do exactly?

I added my father's death certificate or report (because he is not referred as a dead man in the British records) just in case he was needed at some point.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:35 pm

Jawad94 wrote:So is it possible for me just to fill in the information on this file and then send them via email to my countersignatory to be completed by them in their section? (as for the picture, it is inevitable to use the old-fashioned way which is sending the photo via email too to be printed in their country and having their signature on the back of one of them and then send the pictures back but in a physical mean).

As for the extra documents, I possess the following of the list you've seen in the guidance file:

• A document from my university that proves I am a student at the faculty of electrical and electronic engineering at Aleppo University in addition to my ID.
• A baccalaureate degree
• Syrian passport that expires in 2020
• Civil Register (the one I attached before)
• Parent's marriage certificate
• As for the medical/health card, I don't have one, it is possible to have such a thing though, but what kind of tests and exams should I do exactly?

I added my father's death certificate or report (because he is not referred as a dead man in the British records) just in case he was needed at some point.
Yes, do that to transmit the pre-filled form to friend.
They can do same to fill their part.
But they will have to mail it back in the post because they have to sign the form. You can't submit a scan of their signature.
And yes, snail mail too for the photos.

As to documents, its Table A & C you have to fulfill.
Note that in Table C it requires parents' birth certificates (or at least mother's) - depending how you read the Boolean logic.

It also mentions parents' passports 'at time of conception'.
This has come up before and a later version of guidance was discovered that had removed that clause.
Maybe in your region that requirement still stands.

From Table A, are you considering your 2 University documents too be 'government documents' or 'educational record'?
Can you have 2 items from same category? (Not sure).

Regarding the medical card it does not matter about the medical content - its just about identity, address, maybe photo.
It could be some sort of 'medical registration card';
(in UK we have a NHS card - it confirms entitlement to access the wonderful NHS).

If you have to go to next-door country, am just wondering, how can you submit your passport? - you will need it to return back home.
(Maybe an official copy is taken when you are there).

Hopefully you can submit more than the minimum documents.
In that way, if something is passed over you will still meet the minimum.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:32 pm

Oh! How I missed Table C!

You are right about the two documents that are from the same category.
I will add letters from my previous employers, the places where I worked are recognized by the government, but they are not governmental organizations (two private schools and an NGO that works in the cooperation with the UNICEF). I will make sure that the letters would include in which city they are held and the period of my working time in addition to my full personal information.

As for Lebanon and Syria, it may be possible to pass the borders without a passport where the personal ID could enough. (yet, I have to make more sure of that).

I also have a record that proves I own a share of a house in my city (Aleppo).

Hopefully having all of these documents is more than.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:36 pm

Jawad94 wrote:Oh! How I missed Table C!

You are right about the two documents that are from the same category.
I will add letters from my previous employers, the places where I worked are recognized by the government, but they are not governmental organizations (two private schools and an NGO that works in the cooperation with the UNICEF). I will make sure that the letters would include in which city they are held and the period of my working time in addition to my full personal information.

As for Lebanon and Syria, it may be possible to pass the borders without a passport where the personal ID could enough. (yet, I have to make more sure of that).

I also have a record that proves I own a share of a house in my city (Aleppo).

Hopefully having all of these documents is more than.
As they must know you've travelled to the centre it would be unreasonable to keep your passport.
Surely they will copy it and return it to you.

I'm not completely sure that two documents from the same category is a problem, It's not clear.
The answer is to have as many documents as possible.

Anyway, sounds like you're on track.
Hopefully mother's certificate and both parents' passports are available.
Check and triple-check the guide to ensure all is covered!

Hopefully you can prepare in a similar way for your siblings' applications too.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:53 pm

I will collect as many related documents as possible within this week.
I will send an email to the center in Beirut to set an appointment for the applications.

If things went fine, I will write in a thread here all of the steps I've made and my experience from a country that is besieged by the worst kinds of wars in order to help others who have similar situations.

Thank you sooo much :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:21 am

Jawad94 wrote:I will collect as many related documents as possible within this week.
I will send an email to the center in Beirut to set an appointment for the applications.

If things went fine, I will write in a thread here all of the steps I've made and my experience from a country that is besieged by the worst kinds of wars in order to help others who have similar situations.

Let's hope it goes smoothly and there's now light at the end of the tunnel.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:18 pm

noajthan wrote:
Jawad94 wrote:I will collect as many related documents as possible within this week.

Let's hope it goes smoothly and there's now light at the end of the tunnel.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I know it's too early to ask about this. I was checking some topics related to British Citizenship By Descent in this forum, and I came across this thread British Citizenship through Descent, I didn't fully understand the situation, but would I face such problems in not having the full civil rights when I get to the UK according to my situation if I could obtain the British passport?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:32 pm

Jawad94 wrote:Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I know it's too early to ask about this. I was checking some topics related to British Citizenship By Descent in this forum, and I came across this thread British Citizenship through Descent, I didn't fully understand the situation, but would I face such problems in not having the full civil rights when I get to the UK according to my situation if I could obtain the British passport?
That other thread appears to be about 'British Nationals (Overseas)' - BNO. For example, that's some sort of status of citizens connected with the handover of Hong Kong back to China.

My understanding is it won't affect you.
You, being born abroad to a British father (British otherwise than by descent), will be a British citizen by descent.

My understanding is that the only limitation is any children born abroad to a parent who is British by descent have no automatic claim to British citizenship (although they may be registered as citizens).
However any children born in UK would be British.

The UK is not a monoglot country.

For example, I have Celtic (Welsh, Scottish, Irish) and also Huguenot ancestry.
The Royal family has pan-European heritage (German, Russian, Greek & etc).

So, as per my understanding, you will be as British as the rest of us. Me, David Cameron, The Queen, everybody.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:15 pm

Hello again :)

I have set an appointment in the Visa Application Center in Beirut on 18/7/2016.
I, now, have only one concern, which is how long am I going to spend time for submitting my application in Beirut. I just need to know how many days to take off my job and how many nights I should book in the hotel. The Visa Application Center had no idea what to answer this :( they have given me an email address to ask advice from, but I got no reply so far. I was provided an advice line to call, but unfortunately it's difficult to make an international call from Syria.

To sum up, how much work and and how many days does it take to submit my full documents accompanied with a fully filled application.

Thanks in advance

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Jawad94 wrote:Hello again :)

I have set an appointment in the Visa Application Center in Beirut on 18/7/2016.

To sum up, how much work and and how many days does it take to submit my full documents accompanied with a fully filled application.

Thanks in advance
I don't know the answer but its not a question that seems to have come up in forum before which seems to suggest its not an issue.
This is a guess but I'd estimate it will be done within the day.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Hello,

After doing just fine with my arrangements, I came across with one problem, but let me tell you about the progress I've made so far:

1. I have gathered up all the evidence I'm required to bring according to the guidance files.
2. I have filled in the applications.
3. I have set an appointment with the UK VISA Application Center in Beirut to submit my documents and my hard-copy applications.

HOWEVER, I made a phone call with the advice line given in the overseas passports section, they told me that application is going to be submitted electronically!!! AT this point I felt totally lost :(

So, is this true? Or it's just me misunderstood a bit of the point?
If not, is there a step before applying the applications as hard copies and setting the appointment with the UK VISA Application center?

Sorry for my endless worries :oops: :oops:

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:58 am

Not sure.
As you are applying in a neighbouring country can the processing centre in that country (embassy?) advise?

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:02 pm

It seems I have a very complicated situation!

The credit card holder who's going to pay for the applications is not me. The credit card holder is in France, and I am going to apply in Beirut, would this be any problem? Because the advice line employee seemed pretty much perplexed and started mentioning it has to be an online application in this case.

Can just the credit card holder fill in the application and send it via snail mail and THAT''S IT?

Please I need to know what I should do.
Thanks

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:10 pm

I have checked about online applications, it is only available for renewing or updating a passport, not for a first adult passport who hadn't held a child passport before.

So I cannot do an online application, right?
My first query was basically about whether the credit card holder can send the payment application form by FAX.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:13 pm

Jawad94 wrote:It seems I have a very complicated situation!

The credit card holder who's going to pay for the applications is not me. The credit card holder is in France, and I am going to apply in Beirut, would this be any problem? Because the advice line employee seemed pretty much perplexed and started mentioning it has to be an online application in this case.

Can just the credit card holder fill in the application and send it via snail mail and THAT''S IT?

Please I need to know what I should do.
Thanks
All I know is same as you - from the website.

I entered: born in Syria, applying in Lebanon...
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y ... dult/syria

There is a payment form on that webpage.

:arrow: It seems you have to apply in person in Beirut, delivering the form, payment (CC) details and all supporting docs/photos.
This is after arranging the appointment by email.

:!: Don't miss anything out! (there's a 6 week limit on supplying missing documents)

Then go back approx 12 weeks+ later to collect your passport.

Is that how you understand it too :?:

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:32 pm

Yeah, exactly the same.
Now my only problem is about how to pay.

After submitting my information in the Overseas Passports in gov.uk, they mentioned a link for the payment instruction:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... horisation

It turned out that this form is only for those who are applying online, not when I have to apply in person. However, I also found this link:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... how-to-pay

It is mentioned that I can pay cash, which is the best choice for me. Because I don't have a credit card, and the credit card holder who can pay for me is in France, and I am not sure if they can accept if he fills in the payment form, send it by snail mail, and finally I receive it in Beirut where I will apply.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:39 pm

Jawad94 wrote:Yeah, exactly the same.
Now my only problem is about how to pay.

After submitting my information in the Overseas Passports in gov.uk, they mentioned a link for the payment instruction:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... horisation

It turned out that this form is only for those who are applying online, not when I have to apply in person. However, I also found this link:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... how-to-pay

It is mentioned that I can pay cash, which is the best choice for me. Because I don't have a credit card, and the credit card holder who can pay for me is in France, and I am not sure if they can accept if he fills in the payment form, send it by snail mail, and finally I receive it in Beirut where I will apply.
The cash option is for UK applicants using the UK Post Office Check&Send service.

I don't see why you can't use the form linked on above website.:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _07.13.pdf

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:01 am

So the plan is like the following:

The credit card holder is in France,
He fills in the payment form, including his signature,
He sends the payment form by snail mail (can't be by fax I suppose because it contains a signature)
Finally, I include the payment form he sent me along with my application and documents.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:06 am

Jawad94 wrote:So the plan is like the following:

He sends the payment form by snail mail (can't be by fax I suppose because it contains a signature)
Finally, I include the payment form he sent me along with my application and documents.
Makes sense based on my reading of the website and the form.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:10 pm

noajthan wrote:
Jawad94 wrote:So the plan is like the following:

Makes sense based on my reading of the website and the form.
It also stacks up with what I hear about passport applications from Thailand, where British passports have to be applied for in person. There is a common problem there that many local debit and credit cards don't work from abroad, i.e. from the UK, where the payment is taken. The advice given there is to use a friend's account.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Thanks Richard W.

I have a question:
It is mentioned in one of the services that an embassy can provide is to help British Citizens who suffer from terrorism or a serious violence.
In my situation, I am a British Citizen by Descent, but with no passport nor a registration certificate yet. I also happen to live in a very dangerous infamous country "Syria" in Aleppo. We are literally being terrorized everyday. Would the nearest neighboring embassy to Syria provide any help to me?

I have sent an email to the British embassy in Beirut, but I received no reply :(
The least help I need is just a way to leave Syria during the period when I wait to get my passport done, because no countries are hosting Syrians anymore (and they cannot process my details to know I am British Descent to have the rights as Britons do).

I have all the evidence scanned in case I was asked to provide.

Any advice or help about this?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:54 pm

Jawad94 wrote:Thanks Richard W.

I have a question:
It is mentioned in one of the services that an embassy can provide is to help British Citizens who suffer from terrorism or a serious violence.
In my situation, I am a British Citizen by Descent, but with no passport nor a registration certificate yet. I also happen to live in a very dangerous infamous country "Syria" in Aleppo. We are literally being terrorized everyday. Would the nearest neighboring embassy to Syria provide any help to me?

I have sent an email to the British embassy in Beirut, but I received no reply :(
The least help I need is just a way to leave Syria during the period when I wait to get my passport done, because no countries are hosting Syrians anymore (and they cannot process my details to know I am British Descent to have the rights as Britons do).

I have all the evidence scanned in case I was asked to provide.

Any advice or help about this?
It is said you may approach any functioning EU embassy in your country for assistance on behalf of HMG.
The difficulty may be in proving your credentials and your status as a citizen.

And, as per my understanding, emergency travel documents are not normally issued to first-time passport applicants.

If it is safe to do so in light of latest developments in Aleppo (is it safe to be seen near an embassy??) there may be little or no harm in trying.
However your mileage may vary.

Have you followed up on this invitation...? Can you get through on that UK number?
If you require a first-time or renewal passport, or an emergency travel document, then please contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office at consularenquiries.damascus@fco.gov.uk or by telephone (+44) 207 008 1500, for further information and to discuss options for how you might submit your application. Please note that you will be required to apply for these services in a neighbouring country
https://www.gov.uk/government/world/org ... y-damascus