ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier1:English Lang Reqs for hsmp approval prior December,06

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:23 am

If HO has accepted your degree as equal to British Bachelors degree in the past (i.e you got points for degree in your initial application) and your degree is taugh in English language then you do not need to worry about any thing.

Since NARIC do not provide medium of instruction details and
HO online tool does not contain your degree details.

Therefore

It is not your problem that how HO is going to check if degree was taught in English or not.... It is HO business as they are going to assess your application. But still it is better to provide medium of instructin letter.

Just use common sense that if HO has accepted degree in the past then howcome they will not accept the same degree in extension application. Its logicial.

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Sun May 25, 2008 6:36 pm

The point is that you follow the rules (however absurd they may seem) so that your application is not rejected .. rather than assuming things on your own.

If only your HSMP was granted prior to Nov.'06, you may choose to follow what is being suggested by citing the JR and providing the same proof for English proficiency as you did at the time of your initial HSMP application.

But if your HSMP was granted on / after Dec'06, then it is different ballgame altogether and you must prove english language requirements as prescribed in the Tier 1 guidance.

regards
rizwan567 wrote:If HO has accepted your degree as equal to British Bachelors degree in the past (i.e you got points for degree in your initial application) and your degree is taugh in English language then you do not need to worry about any thing.

Since NARIC do not provide medium of instruction details and
HO online tool does not contain your degree details.

Therefore

It is not your problem that how HO is going to check if degree was taught in English or not.... It is HO business as they are going to assess your application. But still it is better to provide medium of instructin letter.

Just use common sense that if HO has accepted degree in the past then howcome they will not accept the same degree in extension application. Its logicial.
If you consider yourself highly skilled, think like one.
Before posting a new query, use the search tool to see if it's already been answered.

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:35 pm

Ofcourse when the rules are not clear and you are not getting appropriate response from the HO then you are bound to make few assumptions.

Yes, ofcourse everybody knows that that best way is to follow the current rules and i.e to do IELTS band 6.5 if your degree is not on self assessment tool. But not every HSMP holder is confident to get IELTS 6.5 and those who think they can get 6.5 band they are not wondering on this board, they are booking test dates instead.

But whole this dicussion is based on the fact that rules about English language are not clear.

We are here disucssing the provisions which are not covered by Tier 1 Guidance and Notes...Otherwise all of us are wise enough to understand the wording of Tier 1 Guidance and notes.

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Mon May 26, 2008 5:42 am

Rizwan567,

Looks like you got offended :lol: . In essence, both of us have said the same thing ... so I am unable to understand the reason of your frustration. :roll:

Here's a jist of English Language requirements in the different HSMP schemes and Tier 1:

Pre-Nov'06 approval
1. No specific requirement. The only mention of English language qualification is under "Suitable evidence for demonstrating that you will be able to continue your work successfully in the United Kingdom" section (para 19 of guidance version 04/06).

So if an application is being made for extention at this time (when BIA has not published any remedial steps in light of JR), one can either -
a) cite the JR, provide the same information as was provided (if any) at the time of initial HSMP application and request for consideration under pre-nov'06 rules,
or
b) meet the english language requirements as prescribed in the Tier 1 guidance and still request for consideration under pre-nov'06 rules for remaining qualifying criteria.

Post Nov'06 approval
No additional requirements to be met. Is automatically considered as having met the requirement at the time of HSMP approval, so it is just a matter of choosing the appropriate option in the Tier 1 form.

Tier 1 application.
1. Citizen of one of the listed counties. If so, provide appropriate proof as prescribed in Tier 1 guidance.
2. If not, check qualification in self-assessment tool and if present, select the appropriate option in the Tier 1 form.
3. If qualification not present in the self-assessment tool, then the only remaining option is to write one of the approved exams.

IMHO, the rules are very clear as far as English language requirements are concerned. It is a matter of accurate interpretation. Some people have been able to do it and some are still wondering.

Hope BIA comes up some updated info. at the earliest and put to rest all confusion.

regards
Before posting a new query, use the search tool to see if it's already been answered.

immigrationboards
Newly Registered

Post by immigrationboards » Mon May 26, 2008 4:30 pm

I have simliar question, my Bachelor and Master studied in Hong Kong.

I want to ask in general, non English speaker country such as Hong Kong, India, if the Bachelor or Master was taught in English, do it normally comparable to that of level C1 on the CEFR or not?
Thank you!

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:37 pm

Not unless it is listed in the self-assessment tool under the English Language Requirements section.

regards
immigrationboards wrote:I have simliar question, my Bachelor and Master studied in Hong Kong.

I want to ask in general, non English speaker country such as Hong Kong, India, if the Bachelor or Master was taught in English, do it normally comparable to that of level C1 on the CEFR or not?
Thank you!

Zee_Zee

English language requirement points

Post by Zee_Zee » Tue May 27, 2008 12:07 am

I just read the following which clearly means that if we've got points on the basis of degree taught in English and the degree is still recognized as UK equivalent then this fulfills english language requirement. Please read the following with special attention to the text in bold and share your views:
You must have 10 points for English language, which are awarded if:

you are a national of a majority English language speaking country listed below:
Antigua and Barbuda;
Australia;
The Bahamas;
Barbados;
Belize;
Canada;
Dominica;
Grenada;
Guyana;
Jamaica;
New Zealand;
St Kitts and Nevis;
St Lucia;
St Vincent and the Grenadines;
Trinidad and Tobago;
United States of America; or
you pass an English language test on our list of approved English language tests (PDF 44K opens in new window); or
you hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a United Kingdom bachelor's degree or above; or
you were granted permission to stay under a Tier 1 category (other than investors where there is no English language requirement) and are applying for an extension; or
you were granted permission to stay as a highly skilled migrant under the immigration rules which came into force on 5 December 2006, and you are applying for an extension under a Tier 1 category.
Many thanks.[/quote]
Regards,

Z Z.

immigrationboards
Newly Registered

Post by immigrationboards » Tue May 27, 2008 2:14 am

hsmpinuk70 wrote:Not unless it is listed in the self-assessment tool under the English Language Requirements section.

regards
immigrationboards wrote:I have simliar question, my Bachelor and Master studied in Hong Kong.

Thank you!
I can't find any University in India or others countries which is recognized by NARIC in this web site:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

Do you mind to send me the link or quote it to me? Thank you!

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:58 am

First thing to remember - Do not post the same question in multiple topics. People on this forum can see your question(s) even if you post it in only one place and will respond to it if they wish to.

I have already responded to the following in your other post. Have a look there.

regards
immigrationboards wrote:I can't find any University in India or others countries which is recognized by NARIC in this web site:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

Do you mind to send me the link or quote it to me? Thank you!

aaanjoo

Post by aaanjoo » Tue May 27, 2008 12:43 pm

Coming back to the original question which relates to "Tier1:English Lang Reqs for hsmp approval prior December,06" and for those whose leave to remain is expirng soon. I think we should just apply for extension under Tier 1 and make sure we make points as per the previous rules as BIA has clearly mention that they wont refuse any application under old rules for HSMP approval prior December,06 (on other forum)