ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sending passport to prospective employer

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:08 pm

The HO Employer Helpline
On ph: 0845 010 6677
Fax: 0114 207 6061
asking to verify ur work status. probably ur employers can use this

purplepple

Post by purplepple » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:34 am

alina and vinay,

Of course I don't want to lose my passport. It's just that I'm trying to balance my fear of losing it against how I can convince my prospective employer, as they might think I'm just being too paranoid about it.

Given all the unfortunate circumstances vinay narrated, I'm now definitely afraid of sending it. Thank you for the HO employer helpline contact no. I will send this to them as well.

I really hope this does not affect their intention to hire me as I've already resigned from my current company. I hope you guys understand how torn I am with my situation.

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:43 am

Dear Purple - Every person has to take some or the other risk in life to move forward to the next ladder. But this one is like a fire in the face.

The reason everyone here is on one side is because to explain you that you are what you are in the global market because of your Identity issued by the govt. And the sole representation of your identity is ur passport.

I pray and wish that your employer restores sanity soon so as to not affect your career.

purplepple wrote:alina and vinay,

Of course I don't want to lose my passport. It's just that I'm trying to balance my fear of losing it against how I can convince my prospective employer, as they might think I'm just being too paranoid about it.

Given all the unfortunate circumstances vinay narrated, I'm now definitely afraid of sending it. Thank you for the HO employer helpline contact no. I will send this to them as well.

I really hope this does not affect their intention to hire me as I've already resigned from my current company. I hope you guys understand how torn I am with my situation.

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:25 am

purplepple wrote:alina and vinay,

i can understand ur problem. but that doesnt decrease the risks of losing passport etc i u send it by courier or passport. my close relative when he came from abroad to india or his wedding, he forgot one of his paper air tickets while he was travelling around india. so it was sent it courier in one of the multinational firms being mentioned. and package disappeared with contents and the person who pilfered it even removed all trace the package was ever sent from the multinational couier companys it tracking system. the only way we could prove package was sent was because we had receipt. but then couldnt follow it up as i lived in another city and person who lost ticket was geting married and had to go back and report to work. so had to buy new paper ticket

also like happened to my friends and colleagues at work story mentioned above posts taking into account that even home office denied getting passport even though they accepted receiving envelope. now tell me in such a situation, how does one overcome such an excuse. the only way that might be possible if one actually shows the contenets and seals the envelope at post office during submitting for special delivery and actually videos the whole thing including receipt where sent to. not practical for most. that is the reason why they get away with such blatant excuses after losing passport (i think it might actualy be some employees at home office pilfering documents of high earners as all i know were earning very well. especially since they dramatically found all documents supposedly lost by home office for another friend for 6-8months and they only found it later after being pursued in the matter by MP.) also see another post on this forum by 'edgehillmole' where he says home office lost all his payslips during hsmp application and made him run around for months getting duplicates and when he submitted duplicate documents he later got visa and documents back and in evelope were his duplicate payslips and also original documents supposedly lost. hummmm i wonder what some in home office processing centres are up to with this document business.

one aquaintence of mine (very high earner getting many times 900£/day in IT) if running around police now regarding ID theft as inspite of sending 2 cheques separately by reg post in uk from same post office, the cheques somehow landed in banks he never sent them to and then luckily got returned to his bank with a letter credited to wrong bank !! when he never credited it to another bank. so someone must have done it. and he is getting dumped with loads of stuff he never applied for like credit cards and quite a few other things. this happened just last week and he is still sorting out the mess he landed in.

so best ask ur employer to use the visa checking facility for employers via the details given in posts above. atleast that is what i would do.

on the other hand if u do send passport and if there is a small chance it gets lost / pilfered hen u wont have a job and also wont have a passport, much worse situation to be in. ur choice. best of luck

purplepple

Post by purplepple » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi guys, I have a couple of good news.

I already received my work permit visa. I informed my prospective employer right away and expressed my concern on sending out my passport. I gave them the weblink for the employer checking service and employer helpline. They said that these services are only applicable for applications that are still in progress. However, they agreed not to have me send out my passport and only required me to present it to them on my first day.

Thank you guys again for all the help! :D

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:48 pm

purplepple wrote:Hi guys, I have a couple of good news.

I already received my work permit visa. I informed my prospective employer right away and expressed my concern on sending out my passport. I gave them the weblink for the employer checking service and employer helpline. They said that these services are only applicable for applications that are still in progress. However, they agreed not to have me send out my passport and only required me to present it to them on my first day.

Thank you guys again for all the help! :D
Wow Congrats :)

bani

Post by bani » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:22 pm

Congratulations. I'm glad your employer agreed to this. Does this mean they will issue you a contract? Do you need it for POEA? I didn't have to go through the POEA (because I have HSMP), but my employer here did not give me my contract until they saw my passport and visa when I arrived. Good luck.

purplepple

Post by purplepple » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:30 pm

bani wrote:Congratulations. I'm glad your employer agreed to this. Does this mean they will issue you a contract? Do you need it for POEA? I didn't have to go through the POEA (because I have HSMP), but my employer here did not give me my contract until they saw my passport and visa when I arrived. Good luck.
Hi kabayang bani,

Yes, they will issue me a conditional contract subject to my presentation of the visa and passport on day one. Hence, I can register at POEA.

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:24 am

congrats and best of luck