ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

first time out of UK on my visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:26 am

Thanks guys, especially republique, you answered my query nicely.

whirly

Re: first time out of UK on my visa

Post by whirly » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:49 am

PaulM wrote:Later this month it will be the first time I travel out of the UK on my UK Ancestral visa. My query is when I return will I be under the same scrutiny as when I arrived the first time? I'm just looking for some general observations on this. Thanks
My quickest, easiest entry back to Heathrow was last month (Terminal 2) using my ILR. The IO didn't say one word; just took my passport and landing card, scanned and stamped them, and handed the passport back. Previously on a student visa, then spouse visa, I was usually asked how long I had been away, and a few questions to verify my status in the UK. The longest questioning I ever had was at Stansted after a week in Italy (student visa: they wanted to know if I was working, why/why not.) The only time I have encountered a truly grumpy IO was when going through the EU queue with my British husband at Heathrow Terminal 1. The IO didn't like that much (although I never had such a telling off doing the same thing at Terminal 3.)

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:29 am

Paul,

I have read through all the banter and non of them are Ancestral visa holders, so they don't know.

I'm a ancestral visa holder and now after a lot of pain I have my ILR.
I travel a lot, to fro to Europe, through mainly Stansted, but also using Gatwick and Heathrow.
My experience is, they always ask me, even now that I have ILR, how I got my visa and how long I intend staying in the UK.

The line of questioning does annoy me, especially, when the IO is very obviously,not of British origin and is difficult to understand as he/she's English is so bad.

IO can't really ask you too many other questions as a AV holder, but they do have to pretend that they are doing a proper job.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:33 am

So all agreed then? You can be questioned on re-entry even with a valid visa. :?
Joe London...it was obvious that my husband had been previously resident in Spain as his spouse visa had been issued in Madrid.
Married in Spain before we came to the UK, husband with Spanish tarjeta,
now applies for a Schengen visa if he visits.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:34 pm

Siggi wrote:
My experience is, they always ask me, even now that I have ILR, how I got my visa and how long I intend staying in the UK.

The line of questioning does annoy me.......

IO can't really ask you too many other questions as a AV holder, but they do have to pretend that they are doing a proper job.
You're absolutely right. Many (mostly less experienced) IOs can't avoid some lingering doubt that they might be letting someone in who shouldn't be, so have to make a show by asking naff questions such as you experience. If someone has ILR and they are the rightful holder of the document there is no need to ask any questions. However, it's just possible that someone may be an impostor whose English may be inadequate, so a verbal exchange could reveal this. When I used to do it, I found that a brief friendly "Been away long? Still living here?" got a smiling response from the passenger, and also covered the requirements of the Immigration Rules in respect of Returning Residents.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:50 pm

Nothing about how often they pray?? Whew!! :oops:

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:29 pm

My suggestion is to sign up with IRIS and then you don't have to talk to the IO at all.

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:01 pm

Casa wrote:So all agreed then? You can be questioned on re-entry even with a valid visa. :?
Joe London...it was obvious that my husband had been previously resident in Spain as his spouse visa had been issued in Madrid.
Married in Spain before we came to the UK, husband with Spanish tarjeta,
now applies for a Schengen visa if he visits.
hey its me agian

does your husband tarjeta is expired ? can he hold 2 resident permit ? thanks

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 pm

Casa wrote:Nothing about how often they pray?? Whew!! :oops:
yeah indeed , it happened to me in stansted airport . the interview was about 20mn , he asekd me if i go every friday to mosque ,if i have heard anything about terorist act ...bla bla bla....

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:20 pm

republique wrote:My suggestion is to sign up with IRIS and then you don't have to talk to the IO at all.
Best suggestion of the lot - last off the plane, first into the baggage hall. Been there, done it.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/manag ... isteriris/

That's the link for anyone interested.

As UKbabble has already pointed out, those who are getting asked about how many times they go to the mosque and suchlike are speaking to police officers, not IOs (who these days are easily distinguishable by the light blue J-cloth shirts they have to wear).

3crown

Post by 3crown » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:10 pm

I think it depnds on what side of the bed the immigration officer got out of. We've just travelled first time on Schengen from Greece, poor hub was virtually undressed in front of the everyone in the departure lounge (where the security desk happens to be). Seemed like all (about 1,000) UK Passport holders sailed through - his passport was scrutinised with magnifyng lens, twice, photo picked at and sniffed (!) and checked by three Greek immigration officers, checked by UV light, shoes off, belt off. etc. etc. Came thru Gatwick, both of us came though nonEU gesk, IO perfect gent,, no questions whatsoever, just asked if we'd had good holiday.
macaroni wrote:
Casa wrote:In case the point of my post was missed...in response to the OP's original question...for various reasons (whatever they may be), as Republique has rightly said, you could be questioned at any time when entering the UK, even if your visa is valid and your conscience is squeaky clean.
Special Branch? 8) Because he travelled twice in 2.5 years to Sunny Spain where he had previously lived, and once to visit his parents in Morocco?
Gosh...maybe he did look dodgy after all! :roll:

Exactly. The more they question you and talk utter rubbish, the more you look like a liar. If you "stick to your story" ie. the truth, then you're clearly a liar and very crafty. If you look nervous, well obviously you're lying. :roll: :roll:

Thank heavens your husband does not have relatives in the middle east whom he has visited recently. OBVIOUSLY he would be a terrorist then! :roll: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

BAI
Newly Registered

Post by BAI » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:02 pm

UKBAbble where do you get the info from that someone with UK ancestry cannot be questionned at the port of entry? What if the visa was obtained by deception? As far as I know, IOs can still ask questions at ports of entry to check that the visa is still valid and the circumstances have not changed significantly so as to revoke it and that it was not obtained by deception. I even know of cases where persons with British citizenship were questionned... If someone feels that they should complain it is best to raise this with the Duty CIO there and then.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:51 pm

BAI wrote:UKBAbble where do you get the info from that someone with UK ancestry cannot be questionned at the port of entry? What if the visa was obtained by deception? As far as I know, IOs can still ask questions at ports of entry to check that the visa is still valid and the circumstances have not changed significantly so as to revoke it and that it was not obtained by deception. I even know of cases where persons with British citizenship were questionned... If someone feels that they should complain it is best to raise this with the Duty CIO there and then.
I didn't say they couldn't be questioned I said shouldn't. Any one can be questioned if the IO feels he/she has reasonable cause to do so.

Tats

Post by Tats » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:20 pm

I hold the Ancestry visa and still get asked questions when I return. Most times not more than 2 questions. Last weekend, I was only asked how long I was away and when did I first enter the UK. At previous re-entries, they asked where I worked, where was I coming from, which of my Grandparents were british and so on. Not any tough questions, but I think they just want to verify the details that they already have and make sure the information provided is consistent. Been out 5 times since I came in with AV.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:51 am

It's really just to engage you in converstion to make sure you are the rightful holder of the passport/visa as a double check to comparing you to the photo.