ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New salary threshold of £38,700

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: New salary threshold of £38,700

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:10 pm

FXR_1340 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:13 pm
FXR_1340 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:27 pm
marsupilami wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:04 pm
I saw the announcement live:

"Fourthly, we will ensure that people only bring dependants who they can support financially by raising the minimum income for family visas to the same threshold as the minimum salary threshold for skilled workers, which £38,700."

But back to the original question please, do you think there is a chance this may not become law? Me and my kid we are British but my wife isn't. I have never earned such huge amount of money in my life. At this level, such stringent requirements are actually human rights abuse.
I feel your pain as I too have never earned such annual income. I suspect this kind of puts the Cat amongst the Pigeons for many.

In the event it does become law (and I have little reason to doubt it) I sincerely hope there are grounds to overturn.

What a way to treat your own Citizens who happen to marry a foreigner!!
Having had time to digest this inhuman increase, on a personal level it requires considerable thought.

I have a job offer from NHS Scotland, even with my salary plus other income I still would not meet £38k. I guess its back to the Drawing Board for me😔
Are you already in the UK with family? Even if you are not there is still a time before implementation.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:13 pm

Chapterixx wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:46 pm
Just heard the news this morning, while my income is only £35,000 the wife also earns £28,000 but is self employed. We will be applying for ILR in the summer of 2024. On a scale of 1/10 - How worried do we need to be?
Probably no worries. You are in UK, at ILR level. And changes are hardly made to be retroactive. Shall most likely apply to those just stepping on the immigration rung.

jiraya
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Post by jiraya » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:22 pm

Guys hope you doing well I got married with my british girl friend, she is now my wife.
For spouse visa application they asked 6 month payslip, she has only 3 months right now, so we waiting for the other 3 months but they changing the rules about minimum salary requirment at the time we gonna get the 6 month payslip, what will happen ? :(

thank you

sssnairshruthi
Newly Registered
India

Post by sssnairshruthi » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:24 pm

Yes a bit too unnecessary raise the admin employees in NHS don't get paid much. Either they pay the salary equal to private employers or reduce the MIR

asingh42
United Kingdom

Post by asingh42 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:25 pm

jiraya wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:22 pm
Guys hope you doing well I got married with my british girl friend, she is now my wife.
For spouse visa application they asked 6 month payslip, she has only 3 months right now, so we waiting for the other 3 months but they changing the rules about minimum salary requirment at the time we gonna get the 6 month payslip, what will happen ? :(

thank you
Could you possibly time your application so that application is submitted just before the changes, and then biometrics can be done sometimes in March when you have the documents ready for upload. Normally you can submit an online application and then book a biometric appointment even 2 months in future.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:33 pm

jiraya wrote:

thank you
Please don't post general spouse visa application questions in this particular topic. No one on the forum can tell you what the rules will eventually be. At the moment, it is only an announcement of intent, not set in stone.
asingh42 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:25 pm
jiraya wrote:

thank you
Could you possibly time your application so that application is submitted just before the changes, and then biometrics can be done sometimes in March when you have the documents ready for upload. Normally you can submit an online application and then book a biometric appointment even 2 months in future.
Doesn't help the OP if the supporting documents is not dated before the date of application!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

FXR_1340
Member of Standing
Scotland

Post by FXR_1340 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:46 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:10 pm
FXR_1340 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:13 pm
FXR_1340 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:27 pm
marsupilami wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:04 pm
I saw the announcement live:

"Fourthly, we will ensure that people only bring dependants who they can support financially by raising the minimum income for family visas to the same threshold as the minimum salary threshold for skilled workers, which £38,700."

But back to the original question please, do you think there is a chance this may not become law? Me and my kid we are British but my wife isn't. I have never earned such huge amount of money in my life. At this level, such stringent requirements are actually human rights abuse.
I feel your pain as I too have never earned such annual income. I suspect this kind of puts the Cat amongst the Pigeons for many.

In the event it does become law (and I have little reason to doubt it) I sincerely hope there are grounds to overturn.

What a way to treat your own Citizens who happen to marry a foreigner!!
Having had time to digest this inhuman increase, on a personal level it requires considerable thought.

I have a job offer from NHS Scotland, even with my salary plus other income I still would not meet £38k. I guess its back to the Drawing Board for me😔
Are you already in the UK with family? Even if you are not there is still a time before implementation.
No. We are currently located in USA (3 years).😔

I understand, assuming it is still the case, 6 months Pay Slips are required to support any application? This would only be the case in June/July at the earliest. I want to return to UK as I cant get a job here (6 months). I now have been offered employment with NHS Scotland but taking the job now means indefinite separation from my USC wife.

What a VILE bunch this TORY GOVT is! First they screwed us with Brexit, subsequently they have screwed the UK and now this.

SkyRoboPrime
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by SkyRoboPrime » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:59 pm

Regarding this increase is this Gross or net income?

Also I heard that If you do not have P60 then what the immigration will use is the "net income" and not the "gross income" is there any truth to this?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:03 pm

SkyRoboPrime wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:59 pm
Regarding this increase is this Gross or net income?

Also I heard that If you do not have P60 then what the immigration will use is the "net income" and not the "gross income" is there any truth to this?
It is GROSS, the amount before any deduction.

What you 'heard' is nonsense.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:06 pm

SkyRoboPrime wrote:
Regarding this increase is this Gross or net income? From previous occasions, gross income

Also I heard that If you do not have P60 then what the immigration will use is the "net income" and not the "gross income" is there any truth to this? What or where is the source of your above information?

SkyRoboPrime
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by SkyRoboPrime » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:19 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:06 pm
SkyRoboPrime wrote:
Regarding this increase is this Gross or net income? From previous occasions, gross income

Also I heard that If you do not have P60 then what the immigration will use is the "net income" and not the "gross income" is there any truth to this? What or where is the source of your above information?
Thats really great I was afraid it might have been net income. I've just returned and started working on august for the nhs so only 4 months, but me and my wife are planning to apply for a spouse visa on Feb to March and I was looking at my payslip after I heard the news and I earn gross wise 4-5k per month but only about 1.6 to 1.7k per month net wise. So I was worried if it was net I couldnt bring her anymore.

I wont name them but we hired a philippine agency to help us with our spouse visa application and she was told that since I could not provide a p60 (as I've only started working again on august and we are applying for Feb so I wouldnt be able to receive my p60 until later on) the immigration officers will use my "net income" instead of the "gross income" which to be fair is odd since my payslip clearly states that I pay tax. Thats why I ask incase they know something I dont.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:29 pm

SkyRoboPrime wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:19 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:06 pm
SkyRoboPrime wrote:

Thats really great I was afraid it might have been net income. I've just returned and started working on august for the nhs so only 4 months, but me and my wife are planning to apply for a spouse visa on Feb to March and I was looking at my payslip after I heard the news and I earn gross wise 4-5k per month but only about 1.6 to 1.7k per month net wise. So I was worried if it was net I couldnt bring her anymore.

I wont name them but we hired a philippine agency to help us with our spouse visa application and she was told that since I could not provide a p60 (as I've only started working again on august and we are applying for Feb so I wouldnt be able to receive my p60 until later on) the immigration officers will use my "net income" instead of the "gross income" which to be fair is odd since my payslip clearly states that I pay tax. Thats why I ask incase they know something I dont. It seems they don't know nothing, you know better and you suspect same hence why you are cross checking the information they gave you.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:30 pm

If you choose to seek legal advice, find an 'agency' which has full knowledge of the UK Immigration Rules. You have been poorly advised. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JustGotHSMP
United Kingdom

Post by JustGotHSMP » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:23 pm

Any news / update on an increase in the Cash Savings threshold of £62,500 to apply for the spouse visa?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:11 pm

If this also applies to Appendix FM, then will the MAC have more regrets?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:23 am

Excerpt from the Independent, today.
" Asked if it would apply to partners when they came to renew their visas, No 10 said the change was “not retrospective, but it would apply to renewals in the future”.

At that point, people would be expected to “meet the visa requirements of the day”.

The prime minister’s official spokesperson added: “People always have a set length of time for their visas and will be aware at the conclusion of that visa time that they don’t have a guarantee that they will obviously remain in the country.”

The income level had not been updated for 10 years, No 10 said.

There are exemptions, but these will be on a case-by-case basis, and it stressed that the amount could be spread across the household".

The changes are due to come into effect in spring and will apply when existing visas for foreign spouses come up for renewal.

The prime minister's spokesperson said on Tuesday: “The family immigration rules contain a provision for exceptional circumstances where there would be unjustifiably harsh consequences for the applicant, their partner, a relevant child or another family member if their application were to be refused.”

No examples were given and the spokesperson said applications would be considered on a “case-by-case basis”.

Personally, I think 18.6K is far too little to be able to bring someone to live with you. Time and again I read on this forum that people who have never met are getting married after meeting just once, and then he/she is allowed to arrive into the UK. Worse is the number of cases of divorce of these people, who then remarry someone else they have not met, and bring them in, the previous partner is allowed to remain. In case no one had noticed the UK is an island, with a massive housing shortage and a population increasing by 100sK per year, and it can't go on. 300K houses needed to be built per year, excludes schools, hospitals, prisons, roads and other infrastructure to support this increase in population.

You all might think it's unfair, but how else does the govt tackle this situation? If it carries on unchecked, there will be a point in the future when the country is actually full, and then what? Or does everyone want to simply kick the ball into the long grass and hope that things work out for the best.

zakikhan

Post by zakikhan » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:45 am

Appreciate there will be discussions and nothing is set in stone, but am I right in saying that the financial threshold does not apply for naturalisation applications? My wife already has ILR.

Kind regards
Online application: 11th July 2015
Biometric Islamabad: 27 July 2015
Case processed email: 22 October 2015
Collection Email: 28 October 2015
Visa Granted: 29 October 2015

Jbord
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jbord » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:53 am

Cleverly said that from the spring of 2024, prospective immigrants will have to earn 38,700 pounds ($48,900) to get a skilled worker visa, up from 26,200 pounds ($33,000) now. British citizens who want to bring their foreign spouse to Britain will have to earn the same amount – almost double the current threshold.

I think it's for prospective immigrants not for those already in the system.

Nellyb1979
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Nellyb1979 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:54 am

THO wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:23 am
Personally, I think 18.6K is far too little to be able to bring someone to live with you. Time and again I read on this forum that people who have never met are getting married after meeting just once, and then he/she is allowed to arrive into the UK. Worse is the number of cases of divorce of these people, who then remarry someone else they have not met, and bring them in, the previous partner is allowed to remain. In case no one had noticed the UK is an island, with a massive housing shortage and a population increasing by 100sK per year, and it can't go on. 300K houses needed to be built per year, excludes schools, hospitals, prisons, roads and other infrastructure to support this increase in population.

You all might think it's unfair, but how else does the govt tackle this situation? If it carries on unchecked, there will be a point in the future when the country is actually full, and then what? Or does everyone want to simply kick the ball into the long grass and hope that things work out for the best.
£18.6k maybe to little, however the increase is unreasonable and without thought.
There will be people who have started the visa process on this figure, would steady yearly rises be more fair and reasonable, people could plan for it then.

Also the country isnt full, the lack of housing etc is a failure of the current govt & its Conservative predecessors govt.

FXR_1340
Member of Standing
Scotland

Post by FXR_1340 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:28 pm

THO wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:23 am
......Personally, I think 18.6K is far too little to be able to bring someone to live with you. Time and again I read on this forum that people who have never met are getting married after meeting just once, and then he/she is allowed to arrive into the UK. Worse is the number of cases of divorce of these people, who then remarry someone else they have not met, and bring them in, the previous partner is allowed to remain. In case no one had noticed the UK is an island, with a massive housing shortage and a population increasing by 100sK per year, and it can't go on. 300K houses needed to be built per year, excludes schools, hospitals, prisons, roads and other infrastructure to support this increase in population.

So why not treat the Cause and not the Symptoms?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:31 pm

Jbord wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:53 am
Cleverly said that from the spring of 2024, prospective immigrants will have to earn 38,700 pounds ($48,900) to get a skilled worker visa, up from 26,200 pounds ($33,000) now. British citizens who want to bring their foreign spouse to Britain will have to earn the same amount – almost double the current threshold.

I think it's for prospective immigrants not for those already in the system.
It's retrospective. It would affect everyone.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

FXR_1340
Member of Standing
Scotland

Post by FXR_1340 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:33 pm

This latest Policy is clearly having huge impact........
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67630258

What a cruel, insular, Right Wing Fascist govt the UK now suffers. A Plague on ALL their houses!!

FXR_1340
Member of Standing
Scotland

Post by FXR_1340 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:57 pm

In 2024 the Minimum Wage will be £11.44 per hour. Govt is saying in order to support a foreign Spouse there is a requirement to earn £38,700.

11.44 x 52 weeks x 40 hours per week is quite a bit less than 38,700.

Am I missing something?

Tory BASTARDS!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:10 pm

zakikhan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:45 am
Appreciate there will be discussions and nothing is set in stone, but am I right in saying that the financial threshold does not apply for naturalisation applications? My wife already has ILR.

Kind regards
There is NO such requirement for citizenship!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

FXR_1340
Member of Standing
Scotland

Post by FXR_1340 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:43 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:10 pm
zakikhan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:45 am

Kind regards
There is NO such requirement for citizenship!!
YET!