ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Child, Canadian Mother

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:26 am

Ben wrote:Sorry Tom, just so I can understand fully: Your Canadian friend is saying that if moving to Ireland with her son were to be conditional on her obtain a British passport for him, she would prefer to stay in Canada?
No, she plans to move to Ireland, live and work here and to make sure her son grows up knowing his father. As an Irish citizen.
Ben wrote:Has your friend considered obtaining the British passport, using it for her benefit in her application for a Residence Card, then burning it to cinders immediately after receipt?
Which would be a criminal offence. A British passport is the property of the British Ministry of Foreign affairs.
Ben wrote:A child who moves to Ireland at the age of five, who is an Irish citizen and who has an Irish father, would not really "grow up" (culturally) as anything other than an Irish citizen, would he? Would the fact that his father happened to be born in a Northern county make any difference?
True. If I was in her situation I would swallow my pride and obtain a British passport for my son. Ive told her to get both passports, use the British one to her advantage and receive leave to remain. Then lock them both away and let the lad decide which one he wants to use when he turns 18.

Alas, to no avail.

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:38 am

walrusgumble wrote: is there any chance that there is a relationship between the mother and father?

I dont think so.
walrusgumble wrote:would he not come south?
A relationship of convenience, per say? Perhaps he would. I suspect he would, any man would do so if it meant he has re-united with his son.

But she want to make the move within the law.
walrusgumble wrote: she must be very confident that she would get work or that the child would get a place in school. could she afford health insurance and all?
The school place will be an issue. Ive told her to put her sons name down for as many schools as possible.
walrusgumble wrote: could she afford health insurance and all?
She owns her own property and will rent that out to help subsidise the initial move. She has a modest amount of cash saved that will help her through the first six months or so, before she starts receiving payments for the rent.

walrusgumble wrote:my suggestion would be is to make a general application for residency to general immigration at inis burg quay. the application should clarify the child's position, the child's entitlement to canadian, irish and british citizenship, relationship with father if any, (your friend and child) proof of her qualifications, evidence of being offered employment here, request not to be made get a work permit. What legal rights does father have regarding access, custody and guardianship of the child???? proof of financial self sufficiency and health insurance.
Thats sound enough advice.

I think it would be best if I told her to register on here and answer the rest of your questions.

walrusgumble wrote:would she not be interested in moving to say belfast where she then can use her child's irish citizenship in err, ahem british "political" land - as stated chen is very narrow but can be achieved
I think she has her heart set on the living in the Republic.

She said she doesnt want her child to see and deal with the sort of crap her father did(that rules out Limerick and parts of Dublin too I suspect :lol: - I jest, I jest ). As I said, I will ask her to register an account on here.