ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got job offer 30k - is it okay ?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Guys, one thing you are missing here is location in UK. Living costs is quite different for different cities...30K in London is different from 30K in Manchester and so forth.

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:30 pm

npanglia wrote:
jithan wrote: Guys,
Don't underestimate cost of living in Indian cities.
I completely agree to this. India is no more a country where urban population eat just vada pao & paranthas on the road side. It is the era where urban population buy clothes from Tommy, Mango, Gucci, Espirit (If you want to validate this, visit these stores in Metros and you will see the facts if not realize)
Sathish wrote:I think i dont have to introduce myself. All i can say is, i have been moving with all kinds of people across a state in India. But i completely DISAGREE with this.

I have lived in UK for 2 years and then stayed in India for 1 year.
Let me put it this way - In India your income doesn’t support your expenses. However atleast in UK the income levels support the expenses (assuming you get a decent average job as well).
(When I am making this statement, please bear in mind I am not in low income earning category in India)

Rightly said, the luxurious life in India = Average life in UK

I think if someone is making a move, he/she should be considering the whole package rather than just talking about GBP salary withdrawn.

At last on job security, my uncle once told me - It’s not in the hands of employer to provide job security, but it is in the hands of employee to secure his job (by doing exceptional work and possessing skills which out rightly beat the competition)
Sathish wrote:I like the last thing about job security. Very true......

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:32 pm

Sky_High wrote:Interesting discussion

Do not forget that in UK, you have access to free schooling and free top class health care which are very expensive in Asia. In UK if you are poor, you are still a human being. In many asian countries this is not the case.
:mrgreen: Hats off for this statement from u man

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:56 pm

npanglia wrote:
It is the era where urban population buy clothes from Tommy, Mango, Gucci, Espirit (If you want to validate this, visit these stores in Metros and you will see the facts if not realize)
Luxuries are available everywhere in the world. BUT on a comparative basis, people with decent salaries in the UK also DONT buy clothes from such outlets. You are comparing top end brands in India v/s the UK and BOTH are equally expensive in their own currencies.

You cant factor that into judging if Indian standard of living is expensive or not - no way! If you look at such things, then a hair cut at a decent hair stylist - and I dont mean these £6 ones - is a lot more expensive than at a nice one in India.

All factors considered, UK is quite an expensive place to live and definitely way above India. In fact, its one of the most expensive in Europe - everyone knows that. Factor in the high taxes (yes for nice roads and NHS which youngsters hardly ever use and doesnt cover dental and optics) and no savings schemes, it's just the £££ conversion that makes you save money when you go back home. If you remain here, you can never retire wealthy unlike in India where you can save up a nice amount

KP

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:01 pm

This is really a nice thread..I would like to say again that DONT COME TO UK FOR SAVINGS/MONEY especially if you are in IT (since in IT ,you get paid good amount in India as well ,while in UK,there is not HUGE difference betwwen IT and other jobs)...But you will really have a GOOD QUALITY life which you can not get in India ..How??even if you buy a mercedez in India, can you BUY your own ROAD ?You will still have to drive along with auto walas on moon surface(at leat in Mumbai,roads are like craters on moon)..So money cannot buy you good roads in India..same for clear air ,you cannot buy it in India...
I came back to India because i wanted to come back ,i had set my goals and objectives ,but i have no regret for my 3 years in UK.Life was calm and peaceful ,no office politics,no long working hours ,was staying in a house with a garden (not possible to buy bunglow in Mumbai ,will cost you 5-6 crore!!!!!)..
So bottom line, if you get a chance to go to UK,go for it...BUT DONT expect that you will save 80 times then India :)..Infact it might turn out to be less then India (In my case ,that is the case )

outbound

Post by outbound » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:10 pm

kenfrapin wrote:
npanglia wrote:
It is the era where urban population buy clothes from Tommy, Mango, Gucci, Espirit (If you want to validate this, visit these stores in Metros and you will see the facts if not realize)
Luxuries are available everywhere in the world. BUT on a comparative basis, people with decent salaries in the UK also DONT buy clothes from such outlets. You are comparing top end brands in India v/s the UK and BOTH are equally expensive in their own currencies.

You cant factor that into judging if Indian standard of living is expensive or not - no way! If you look at such things, then a hair cut at a decent hair stylist - and I dont mean these £6 ones - is a lot more expensive than at a nice one in India.

All factors considered, UK is quite an expensive place to live and definitely way above India. In fact, its one of the most expensive in Europe - everyone knows that. Factor in the high taxes (yes for nice roads and NHS which youngsters hardly ever use and doesnt cover dental and optics) and no savings schemes, it's just the £££ conversion that makes you save money when you go back home. If you remain here, you can never retire wealthy unlike in India where you can save up a nice amount

KP
With due respect KP, I think you have been away from India for a while :D

I was in London for 2 years before relocating back to India for an year now...

Actually basic costs are shooting up in India more than anyone can imagine. Food - In bangalore if you want to dine in a decent restaurant its easily INR 1000 for a couple. With salaries in the ratio of 1:3 atleast this works out very expensive in India. I am not talking of the top-of-the-line restaurant more of an exp closer to dining in Nandos probably.

Of course its a lot to do with what one wants to do in life and the current phase of life. Ageing parents, getting married, infants, health etc etc the list if endless.

All in all my take is, if the exchange rate is around 80 ( which looks like a distant dream :) ) its very much possible to save a good amount in UK while living a decent lifestyle and then relocate back to India to do the same things that everyone else does: Buy a flat, raise kids and back to cribbing about the life in India!

Once you are used to a "civil" life in a developed country, you can actually "feel" why the westeners call us poor! Though i dont agree to it, but i understant their point of view better. Interesting topic this one.

Meanwhile, I am trying to get my tier-1 sorted out :)

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:11 pm

outbound wrote: With due respect KP, I think you have been away from India for a while :D
Well, I have been out for long but my immediate family still lives there and I visit for a month every 10 or 11 months. And I do agree with what you say about absolutely spiralling living costs in Blore - it just seems to be increasin every day. On the same count, I also know that salaries too are increasing like crazy as well in Blore. If a 3 yr exp guy got Rs 5lakhs 2 years back, today a 3yr exp guy can get Rs 7lakhs - so, actually, salary increases keep up with living costs and if both partners work then its really good.

Do you know whats the picture in the UK since the past few years? Most companies have either frozen salaries or even reduced them. Companies in the UK dont have the concept of appraisal. Everyone gets a 2% or 3% annual hike to counter inflation and they get bonuses which is never more than 5% of annual pay in most cases. I am talking specifically of IT excluding the BFSI domain.
Also, living costs even in the UK has gone up in the last 2 years when salaries have not. If you have a young family, it is almost impossible for both partners to work which is a big income loss.

Count all this in and you will know how it is. You mentioned about the conversion rate. Look, if a single guy wants to come here just to save for few years and then go back home then he can save a LOT.

If a family currently living in India, with young kids, but 2 jobs and good salaries are thinking of coming here to probably save or even settle down, then all my above points show that UK will make you poorer and you will not be able to live the life you have back home. Such families will probably feel 'richer' back home on so many levels compared to the UK :lol:

Cheers
KP

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:00 am

kenfrapin wrote:
outbound wrote: With due respect KP, I think you have been away from India for a while :D
Well, I have been out for long but my immediate family still lives there and I visit for a month every 10 or 11 months. And I do agree with what you say about absolutely spiralling living costs in Blore - it just seems to be increasin every day. On the same count, I also know that salaries too are increasing like crazy as well in Blore. If a 3 yr exp guy got Rs 5lakhs 2 years back, today a 3yr exp guy can get Rs 7lakhs - so, actually, salary increases keep up with living costs and if both partners work then its really good.

KP
Dream... Can you please quote the company names for my reference. So that in future, i will apply to these company openings whenever iam comfortable.

Thanks

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 am

Indianinwold,

I guess your post was directed towards me and are you implying that this is not true right now?
My brother recently joined a medium enterprise in Ab Initio - just 1.5 yrs and he's getting paid Rs 5lakhs. Oh, his Team Lead - all of 3 yrs exp moved on to an offer of Rs 7 lakhs per annum - he works in J2EE

Also, many of my colleagues have left the company in the past few months as the market is opening up a lot now. The company we work in dont pay great so guys with 2 to 5 yrs exp have left and gone and all for salaries well above Rs 5lakhs per annum. Think some of the 5yr exp dudes are getting almost Rs 10lakhs per annum

And just so there is no confusion - Such packages are not given by the big names in the industry and so the above does not refer to them. I am only talking of medium and small enterprises that are growing fast, recognize quality when they see it and are ready to pay what you are worth :D

Cheers
KP

Laksonline
Newly Registered

55k UK job

Post by Laksonline » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 am

guys i got a job in UK for 55000 basic and benifits, and ya its a permanent role..
what are your taughts and suggestions on this..
back home i was getting around 10L

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:02 am

Hey Laksonline - £55k for a perm role plus benefits is definitely very good so yes you should take it.
Even if the role is based in London, and irrespective of whether the role is London based or you live in London or not, the salary is good so no doubt about the package they have offered you

All the best!!!
KP

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Congrats Laksonline on landing the job in just about a month of entering the UK. You are one example that the market isn't so bad actually for the ones with the right skillset and experience.

What domain / technology are you working in and how many years of exp ? This information will be useful for the others who are in the job hunt.

@Indianinwold - the salaries are getting better back in India. I work for a Leading product company and here folk with 2 year experience are getting paid 5.5 lacs and folk with 5 yrs are getting paid 8.5 lac. There are other big companies which are matching and even paying better than this.

Idea

Post by Idea » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:39 pm

indianinwold wrote:

Do not forget that in UK, you have access to free schooling and free top class health care which are very expensive in Asia. In UK if you are poor, you are still a human being. In many asian countries this is not the case.
from my personal experience this statement could not be far from the truth. - I know a person who has left the uk because of juast health reasons - i'm not generalisling just sharing my experience-. his kid was diagonised improperly ... rather not diagonised at all of a health issue which was solved during a visit to india and this has triggered their return to india. ...

apart from that one incident i have heard neumorous cases of people going abroad on medical tourism (to india !!) as the healthcare is so slow here with the waiting list etc....

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:02 am

kantave wrote: Life in India is also becoming like western countries. Nobody has any time for others these days. they are too busy in makng money. So socially it is not that attractive to live in india like it used to be before. It is just my perception.

I would tak 600 pound savind any day over 30,000 savings and have better quality of life.
Thumbs Up for this :)

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:46 am

Idea wrote:
indianinwold wrote:

from my personal experience this statement could not be far from the truth. - I know a person who has left the uk because of juast health reasons - i'm not generalisling just sharing my experience-. his kid was diagonised improperly ... rather not diagonised at all of a health issue which was solved during a visit to india and this has triggered their return to india. ...

apart from that one incident i have heard neumorous cases of people going abroad on medical tourism (to india !!) as the healthcare is so slow here with the waiting list etc....
:) :) :) :)
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

prisat
Member of Standing

Re: 55k UK job

Post by prisat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:47 am

Laksonline wrote:guys i got a job in UK for 55000 basic and benifits, and ya its a permanent role..
what are your taughts and suggestions on this..
back home i was getting around 10L
:lol: congrats
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

kenpat
BANNED

Re: Got job offer 30k - is it okay ?

Post by kenpat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Joy.Please wrote:Hi Folks,

Spare some time to give your opinion.

Am in a dilemma. I am earning 12 lacs in india. Have a tier one visa. Got a job offer for 30k gross in belfast.

Should i take it up ? I am looking for a saving of at least 1500 GBP per month. is it possible with this salary (have my spouse with me) ? Have no idea about the deductions - therefore this question.

Let me know please.

Regards,
Joy

I would say if you want to save money and work here send me an email there are ways and means to make it work to your advantage. There is always a give and take.

Laksonline
Newly Registered

UI

Post by Laksonline » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:28 am

LearningCurve wrote:Congrats Laksonline on landing the job in just about a month of entering the UK. You are one example that the market isn't so bad actually for the ones with the right skillset and experience.

What domain / technology are you working in and how many years of exp ? This information will be useful for the others who are in the job hunt.

@Indianinwold - the salaries are getting better back in India. I work for a Leading product company and here folk with 2 year experience are getting paid 5.5 lacs and folk with 5 yrs are getting paid 8.5 lac. There are other big companies which are matching and even paying better than this.
I work in Usability / interaction design and have worked with fortune 500 companies back in india for almost 7 yrs now, actually i had 1 more contract in hand which paid 305 / day, and one more round in a fortune 500 company before i zeroed on this role..

infact I had got one job in glasgow when I was in india, but i rejected it..
in these last 40days...
31 working days
11 interview attended
4 went to 2nd and 4 th roudn
2 offered
3 still waiting for response
1 accepted
3 yet to finish full rounds
and i get calls/mails from consultants every day, 2 per day on an avg

ALSO GUYS, IF ANY ONE COULD HELP ME IN HOW TO SAVE "TAX" THAT WILL BE REALLY HELPFUL

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Congrats Laksonline and thanks for sharing this information.

It shows that there are jobs out there for the ones with the right skills and experience.

Regarding saving Tax, post your exact query in a separate thread and am sure there are lot of seniors here who can assist you.