ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Cap

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Lets see whats happen tomorrow. I hope that they will clearly indicate that what they want to do.

I still belive that 24100 cap will not hurt the immigrants a lot because as per BBC its only 5% less than last year.

ash210

Post by ash210 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Faye_hen wrote:If a cap of 24100 is to be introduced, is it possible that the cap will be reached within a month?

I can't see this happening but would like to know your thoughts. I believe the cap to be reached by December 2010 making those who apply in the first 3 months (July, August & Sept) during the cap to be okay.

Are my assumptions correct?
I dont think so mate,if you see the number of applications each year for hsmp or tier1 and workpermits is 300,000 so if the limit is 24k and people will rush to apply sooner than later this will be reached within a month so my assumption is maximum 45 it will take to fill up that temp cap
what say guys?

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:28 pm

300,000 a year?
I thought T1 visas were only about 50,000 a year.
BBC reports a 5% reduction from the previous years.
T2 visas may be more taking into account ICTs as well.

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:11 pm

I don't think these changes will be applied retrospectively. Also, it is good to bear in mind that Tier 2 people have reason to expect to be able to settle if they stayed employed, stayed on the right side of the law, and contribute to the economy, like myself. I make a good salary but just miss the cut off for being able to apply for Tier 1. There are a lot of highly skilled migrants on Tier 2 as well.
Andy

manishmittal
BANNED

Post by manishmittal » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:58 pm

IMHO4u wrote:
manishmittal wrote:The more worrying part is that they are going to bring in cap in April 2011 for those as well who are in country at that time. That could eventually mean that they may put cap on ILR/PR as well or may not renew Tier 1 visa by putting more restrictions. They may not renew Tier 2 visa at all after it expires. One thing is certain its uphill from hereon.
source please? OR did you imagined this one in your dream?

For me this cap is similar to H1/others, new main applicants T1/T2 (within or outside). Others not affected.
Wait and see. You will be the first to be kicked out of this country for sure.
Last edited by manishmittal on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

manishmittal
BANNED

Post by manishmittal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:03 am

[iD] wrote:
manishmittal wrote:The more worrying part is that they are going to bring in cap in April 2011 for those as well who are in country at that time. That could eventually mean that they may put cap on ILR/PR as well or may not renew Tier 1 visa by putting more restrictions. They may not renew Tier 2 visa at all after it expires. One thing is certain its uphill from hereon.

that is impossible. they can not put a cap on people already in the UK. All they can do is to make it tough to extend the visa.
They can get rid of Tier 1 but they have to come up with some alternative for people extending their tier 1 (remember hsmp to tier 1?)
Putting cap on ILR is impossible, again they'd make it difficult to get ILR
Nothing is impossible. What will you do if they decide there is nothing like ILR or they decide not to naturalize anybody just like middle eastern countries. They won't do is different thing but saying that they can't do is nonsense. For me if you want to live in fools paradise its your choice.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:34 am

manishmittal wrote:
[iD] wrote:

that is impossible. they can not put a cap on people already in the UK. All they can do is to make it tough to extend the visa.
They can get rid of Tier 1 but they have to come up with some alternative for people extending their tier 1 (remember hsmp to tier 1?)
Nothing is impossible. What will you do if they decide there is nothing like ILR or they decide not to naturalize anybody just like middle eastern countries. They won't do is different thing but saying that they can't do is nonsense. For me if you want to live in fools paradise its your choice.
because when you applied for tier 1 hsmp etc you signed the papers saying you would get the ILR after 5 years provided you meet the requirement set at the time
Goodluck.

sa41
Newly Registered

Post by sa41 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:44 am

Will it affect the Youth Mobility Visa?

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 am

No wonder, the cap will ultimately be in place for the good of Immigrant community!

However, I wonder how some people here are confirming "facts", as if they work in 10 Downing street and have overheard the conversation between the PM and Home Secretary! :roll:

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:27 am

sa41 wrote:Will it affect the Youth Mobility Visa?
Not sure but I think you can contact relevant people at the link below:

http://www.number10.gov.uk/footer/contact-us

Please let us know what you have heard from them. Thanks!

gopal_yendluri
Newly Registered

Post by gopal_yendluri » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:29 am

I wanted to apply on first week of august.
whether it affects me ?

manishmittal
BANNED

Post by manishmittal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:30 am

[iD] wrote:
manishmittal wrote:
[iD] wrote:

because when you applied for tier 1 hsmp etc you signed the papers saying you would get the ILR after 5 years provided you meet the requirement set at the time
1) There will be no ILR from July 2011
2) When there is no ILR, no question of meeting the requirements at the time.
3) Even if there was an ILR after 5 years, Govt may say, you should be earning £250,000 or more net of tax or your occupation should in shortage of occupation list which may have just one occupation say 'Scientists with 15 years experience with NASA'. I mean what you can do if Govt decides they do not want you? nothing. HSMP forum won the case because Govt. decided not to bring in legislation in the parliament. Court can not overrule what has been legislated in the parliament.

Nothing is impossible for this Govt.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:43 am

All,

Mods are watching this thread and any member found using foul language to other members/country/caste etc. will be banned from this forum.

All members are bound by the code of conduct of this forum.
Last edited by ChetanOjha on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:48 am

I have just pruned this topic of lots of offensive comments. Such behaviour will not be tolerated on this Board, and already one member banned, and maybe more to follow.

Keep this topic on-topic!

Lots more detail now emerging. Have a read of the Ministerial Statement .... click here.

[Edit (3.15.pm : the link was most certainly working this morning, but is not working now. This morning the Ministerial Statement was clearly visible on the Home Office homepage, but it is no longer there.

Link will be reinstated when document is again visible.]
Last edited by John on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:04 am

John wrote:I have just pruned this topic of lots of offensive comments. Such behaviour will not be tolerated on this Board, and already one member banned, and maybe more to follow.

Keep this topic on-topic!

Lots more detail now emerging. Have a read of the Ministerial Statement .... click here.
Wow, only 5400 Tier-1 (General) visa available for out-of-country application until April 2011 !

Mayan12

Post by Mayan12 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:10 am

renzokuken wrote: Wow, only 5400 Tier-1 (General) visa available for out-of-country application until April 2011 !
No only that - Looks like you have to score 80 points from July 19 to qulify!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:19 am

This topic is now locked ..... temporarily ..... and offending posts will be removed and possibly some members banned.

It will be re-opened later today ... but only for on-topic postings.

Edit ..... this topic has now been pruned and three members of this board have been banned.

Any more off-topic and offensive comments will be promptly deleted, and consideration given to the offender being banned.

To the "three" members banned .... who just happened to share the same IP address .... you can reach your own conclusion about that .... any more infringements and your employer will be contacted.

Topic re-opened.
John

MsNayak
Newly Registered

Immigration Cap

Post by MsNayak » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:38 pm

I am planning to migrate from Tier 2 to Tier 1. I have already submitted my Tier 1 application on June 18th 2010. (In Country Applicant)
- Will my application also be evaluated under the Cap limit?
- Or is it like the Cap is effective only for applications submitted after July 19 2010?

I'll be glad to have this confusion cleared.

muhandis.ak

Re: Immigration Cap

Post by muhandis.ak » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:44 pm

From what I can gather from the ministerial statement, it says that this would be applicable from 19th July, so your application shouldn't come under the cap.

Kala

MsNayak wrote:I am planning to migrate from Tier 2 to Tier 1. I have already submitted my Tier 1 application on June 18th 2010.
- Will my application also be evaluated under the Cap limit?
- Or is it like the Cap is effective only for applications submitted after July 19 2010?

I'll be glad to have this confusion cleared.

coolguycp1

Post by coolguycp1 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:51 pm

John,

Can you check your link to Ministerial statement. It is not working.

muhandis.ak

Post by muhandis.ak » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:00 pm

yeah, the links not working. However, heres the full text of the statement pasted from another thread.

It is the government's aim to reduce levels of net migration back to the levels of the 1990s – tens of thousands, not hundreds of thousands – over the lifetime of this Parliament. The Coalition’s Programme for Government, published on 20 May 2010, confirmed the Government’s intention to introduce an annual limit on the number of non-EU economic migrants admitted into the UK to live and work. I am announcing today our first steps to implement that commitment.

The government plans to implement the first full annual limits for the financial year beginning in April 2011. In advance of that, we wish to enable the fullest consultation with business and other sectors which have a significant interest in the implementation of limits on non-EU economic migration.

I am today launching a consultation on the mechanisms for implementing limits. This includes questions about the coverage of limits as well as the mechanics of how they will work in practice. This consultation also recognises the need to attract more high net worth migrants to the UK through the routes for Investors and Entrepreneurs and asks for views on how that can be achieved. A supporting consultation document can be found on the UK Border Agency website.

At the same time, I have today commissioned the independent Migration Advisory Committee to provide advice to the Government on the levels at which limits should be set for the first full year of their operation, in order to achieve the Government’s objective to reduce net migration to the tens of thousands over the Parliamentary term. In doing so, I have asked the Committee to consider the social and public service impacts of migration as well as the economic impacts. I have asked the Committee to provide this advice to me by the end of September. The Committee intends to consult fully with business and other interested groups in developing its advice.

It is important to ensure that today’s announcement does not lead to a surge in applications during this interim period. This would lead to an increase in net migration in 2010 and therefore larger reductions in future years as well as impacting on the UK Border Agency’s operations and undermining its ability to meet its service standards. I am therefore also today announcing a number of interim measures and I have laid a Statement of Changes to the Immigration Rules in support of these measures.

Firstly, I am introducing an interim limit on the number of out of country main applicants to Tier 1 (General). This route will be held flat from the equivalent periods for 2009 and the limit will therefore be 5,400. The Tier 1 routes for Investors, Entrepreneurs and the Post-Study route are not affected. In-country applicants are also excluded from the interim limit. To ensure that those who do come are the brightest and the best, I am also raising the Tier 1 (General) pass mark by 5 points for all new applicants.

Secondly, I am introducing an interim limit on the number of migrants who can be offered jobs by sponsor employers through Tier 2. Intra-Company Transfers, Ministers of Religion and Elite Sportspeople are excluded from this limit. The number of migrants who can be offered jobs in this period will be reduced by 1,300 - the equivalent of a 5% reduction across the Tier 1 and 2 routes to be covered by interim limits – and the interim limit for the relevant routes of Tier 2 will therefore be 18,700. The UK Border Agency will be contacting sponsors with full information about the implementation of the interim limit.

These interim measures will take effect from 19 July.

The UK Border Agency (UKBA) is also undertaking a review, which commenced on 1 June, which will take forward the government’s commitment to end the detention of children for immigration purposes. It will run for six weeks and the UK Border Agency is currently engaging with a range of experts and organisations. The outcome of the review will be reported back to me.

The Secretary of State for the Home Department (Mrs Theresa May).

Date: Mon Jun 28 10:30:00 BST 2010

Source : http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk

coolguycp1 wrote:John,

Can you check your link to Ministerial statement. It is not working.

adnanmanzoor

Post by adnanmanzoor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Where will these five points will be added? I am planning to apply on 12th July it means I will be exempted from this? right? need suggestions from the seniors.
Adnan

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:48 pm

IMHO pass score will simply increase from 75 to 80 points.

I have a question. As it is stated that £5400 tier 1 General applications will be approved in a year. Does this mean embassies around the world would stop accepting any new Tier 1 General application once the limit is met.

Will this cap be applied with any proportion from country to country?

Will this cap be applied on monthly basis, quaterly basis or yearly basis?

Is this 5 point increase for both incountry and out country applicants?

As it is said that there is 5% decrease in Tier 1 General, does this mean that last year only £5670 Tier 1 General applications were approved. I guess figure is higher than that......
Last edited by rizwan567 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

muhandis.ak

Post by muhandis.ak » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:52 pm

IMO (just as per how the Apr 6, 2010 PBS changes were implemented), the 80 points requirement would apply for all applications being submitted on & after 19th July 2010. Also, from what I could gather from the ministerial statement, the 5 point increase would be in the overall score.

Kala
adnanmanzoor wrote:Where will these five points will be added? I am planning to apply on 12th July it means I will be exempted from this? right? need suggestions from the seniors.

tahnyuh

Post by tahnyuh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:55 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by tahnyuh on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.