ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MAC responses mostly for cutting tier 1 to protect tier 2

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:59 am

ArgieBee wrote:The MAC tier 1 report had a graph showing that most under the previous HSMP earned more than £40k when they applied for ilr.

The definition they use for highly skilled work is those being paid in the top 10% I.e. about £46k. If you are being paid less than that then you are probably not considered highly skilled.
I actually agree with MAC's report eventhough I am earning below £46k mark myself. Tier 1/ HSMP is aimed at people who are going to not only add value in terms of skills but also people who pay large sums to the taxman and also spend large sums back into the economy be that normal spending, investments, houses etc. They have to go down the route that benefits them, they not looking for people who earn £20k and send what ever they save back overseas to their families. People on this forum have argued before with me about salary not necessarily related to highly skilled. Which is to some degree is true but like I mentioned above, they would want highly skilled + pay lots of tax + spend lots of money back into economy. This tends to fit the higher earners. I think lifting the earning threshold or bands for the PBS is the way to go. Which they have pretty much done anyways for new applicants.

Just my 2c worth...

vinata

Post by vinata » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:42 am

ArgieBee wrote:The definition they use for highly skilled work is those being paid in the top 10% I.e. about £46k. If you are being paid less than that then you are probably not considered highly skilled.
I think £46k mark largely depends on the applicant's age. If you are only aged about 28, then this kind of salary is not really achievable. However, if you are someone aged between 33 and 37, then it is very likely.

ArgieBee
Ireland

Post by ArgieBee » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:57 am

Here are the salary statistics by age for all UK workers:
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/ ... ab6_7a.xls

See page 96 of the MAC tier 1 report:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

The point is that tier 1 is the 'jewel in the crown' of the immigration system.

The freedom to move employer is a vital feature of tier 1 that means that tier 1s are paid more than tier 2 and make the maximum contribution to the UK economy and taxes. They benefit all UK businesses and not just the less than 1% that are sponsors.

How many people have moved from tier 2 to tier 1, changed job and significantly increased their earnings (and tax payments)?

Maybe a report with some case studies showing this could be compiled and sent to the UKBA and MAC.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:08 pm

ArgieBee wrote:The MAC tier 1 report had a graph showing that most under the previous HSMP earned more than £40k when they applied for ilr.

The definition they use for highly skilled work is those being paid in the top 10% I.e. about £46k. If you are being paid less than that then you are probably not considered highly skilled.
I totally agree with this approach to defining "highly skilled migrants". However, there is an important point to emphasize. Such requirements should be made clear from the outset, and not applied retrospectively. I.e., a person under the impression that 40,000 GBP will be enough for an extension should not be told, once he pays the application fee and moves in here, that the minimum salary threshold is actually 46 k.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:42 pm

ukswus wrote:However, there is an important point to emphasize. Such requirements should be made clear from the outset, and not applied retrospectively. I.e., a person under the impression that 40,000 GBP will be enough for an extension should not be told, once he pays the application fee and moves in here, that the minimum salary threshold is actually 46 k.
It is nearly impossible to do this - definition of 'highly skilled' changes with time. 20 years ago anyone who could use a computer was (probably) considered 'highly skilled'. And with inflation any criteria based on salary should also be flexible.

letmec2006

HI

Post by letmec2006 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:18 pm

wunder wrote:
ukswus wrote:However, there is an important point to emphasize. Such requirements should be made clear from the outset, and not applied retrospectively. I.e., a person under the impression that 40,000 GBP will be enough for an extension should not be told, once he pays the application fee and moves in here, that the minimum salary threshold is actually 46 k.
It is nearly impossible to do this - definition of 'highly skilled' changes with time. 20 years ago anyone who could use a computer was (probably) considered 'highly skilled'. And with inflation any criteria based on salary should also be flexible.
Yes you can change the definition of 'highly skilled' every 20 years not every 2 months... :twisted:

Mayan12

Re: Link to video

Post by Mayan12 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:49 am

rkrohela wrote:Hi Guys,

Couldn't find that video on the parliament live site, could anyone post the full link please?

Cheers
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Playe ... ingId=6580

Think that should work...

-Mayan

tsleng
Newly Registered

Re: HI

Post by tsleng » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:27 pm

letmec2006 wrote:
wunder wrote:
Yes you can change the definition of 'highly skilled' every 20 years not every 2 months... :twisted:
The HO changes it every year :D Apparently the inflation rate is lile £5k/year :twisted:

viki83

Post by viki83 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:36 am

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... c36101.htm

Professor Metcalf: You can operate on the outflow of work to get the numbers down as well as operating on the inflow. The difficulty with operating on the outflow in the short term is that probably many of the people who are here have what sometimes they refer to as legitimate expectations of being able, for example, to extend or to settle - because the way that you work on the outflow is influencing the duration of the stay. That would be things like weakening the link between work and settlement; possibly on the post-study work route making that more selective, for example. Frankly, I don’t think that it’s likely that these policies would kick in, even if you were to introduce them now, until 2013-14. So I think in the initial period - this year, for our recommendations the following year - we’re going to have to be making recommendations dealing with the inflow of work but while simultaneously addressing a number of considerations that the Government may want to think about to address the problem in the longer term.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:27 pm

viki83 wrote:http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... c36101.htm

Professor Metcalf: You can operate on the outflow of work to get the numbers down as well as operating on the inflow. The difficulty with operating on the outflow in the short term is that probably many of the people who are here have what sometimes they refer to as legitimate expectations of being able, for example, to extend or to settle - because the way that you work on the outflow is influencing the duration of the stay. That would be things like weakening the link between work and settlement; possibly on the post-study work route making that more selective, for example. Frankly, I don’t think that it’s likely that these policies would kick in, even if you were to introduce them now, until 2013-14. So I think in the initial period - this year, for our recommendations the following year - we’re going to have to be making recommendations dealing with the inflow of work but while simultaneously addressing a number of considerations that the Government may want to think about to address the problem in the longer term.
Sorry but I didn't get your point.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

viki83

Post by viki83 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:17 am

The prof. clearly states that its not possible to implement any changes for the outflow (which they mean extensions). And even if they do make changes, its not achievable before 2013. That's my interpretation.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:58 pm

viki83 wrote:The prof. clearly states that its not possible to implement any changes for the outflow (which they mean extensions). And even if they do make changes, its not achievable before 2013. That's my interpretation.
He didn't say it is impossible. He said it is difficult to do it in the short term. The question is whether the Government agrees with him, and what exactly they consider by short term. For example, suppose they postpone capping the extensions until 2013. That's good for those who already in the country. But what about second extensions for those who need it? What about settlement applications?

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:54 pm

It will all remain a guesswork until the recommendations are published and accepted.
regards,
push

noor1034
BANNED

Post by noor1034 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:01 pm

push wrote:It will all remain a guesswork until the recommendations are published and accepted.
Push,

Any idea when MAC recommendations would be made public ?

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:45 pm

noor1034 wrote:
push wrote:It will all remain a guesswork until the recommendations are published and accepted.
Push,

Any idea when MAC recommendations would be made public ?
Just a hearsay - it is expected that the recommendations will be published around 20th Sept.
regards,
push

letmec2006

hi

Post by letmec2006 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:11 pm

I wonder if we would get any info on MAC recommendations tomorrow (20th Sept).?????

Waiting game... :roll:

noor1034
BANNED

Re: hi

Post by noor1034 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:19 pm

letmec2006 wrote:I wonder if we would get any info on MAC recommendations tomorrow (20th Sept).?????

Let's wait... These recommendations will give idea if they are going to cap outflow (people already in the system).

Also below link is interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... n-cap.html

push
United Kingdom

Re: hi

Post by push » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:55 pm

noor1034 wrote:
letmec2006 wrote:I wonder if we would get any info on MAC recommendations tomorrow (20th Sept).?????

Let's wait... These recommendations will give idea if they are going to cap outflow (people already in the system).

Also below link is interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... n-cap.html
All these business leaders/ ministers are more concerned about Tier-2. There is no direct constituency for the Tier-(1) holders.
regards,
push

letmec2006

Hi

Post by letmec2006 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 am

I am speculating that they might bring in ICT under cap, and would not include dependants in the cap.

My theory is there had been too many news recently in the MSM about companies screeming for bringing in cap.

The following link would prove my second point, since the Migration Watch is screeming about increased school costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11536829

My opinion though, may not happen

Wait and see
Letmec[/url]

ukswus

Re: Hi

Post by ukswus » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 pm

here is what will happen, in all likelihood:

http://news.efinancialcareers.co.uk/new ... emId-28860

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:59 pm

ukswus wrote:here is what will happen, in all likelihood:

Seems like a muddled up articles. What have the firms got to do with Tier-1?
regards,
push

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:55 am

push wrote:

Seems like a muddled up articles. What have the firms got to do with Tier-1?
what do you mean? tier 1 is now the only alternative to companies whose sponsorship certificates have run out for hiring overseas stuff.

silverTR
Norway

Post by silverTR » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:24 am

ah... Professor Metcalfs' grandpa was an immigrant .. how sweet.. that's why, he is so good at empathizing with immigrants ?!?

letmec2006

Hi

Post by letmec2006 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:38 am

silverTR wrote:ah... Professor Metcalfs' grandpa was an immigrant .. how sweet.. that's why, he is so good at empathizing with immigrants ?!?

"empathizing" dont know about that, but I see an ever increasing hostility towards "foreign expats in the UK". Though the fault of present condition of Britian is not ours.

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Perhaps this is the chance for all current Tier 1's to take advantage of the situation. I was offered a good job and package due to the fact that the company making the offer had all its Tier 2 visa revoked, they had 5 and now 0. So the logic is that the Tier 1 visa holders will be in high demand