ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit visa for Ireland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:02 pm

tt wrote: Nor the ILR holder living in Ireland working in Northern Ireland daily would lose the ILR. Nor the ILR holder living in Ireland working in Ireland, I would imagine, since they would be tripping across to the UK regularly, either by land or sea (or ought to, to keep their ILR). But even if they didn't, I guess JAJ's point is that because there are no borders, no record of entry or exit with the UK, how could the ILR be lost with no evidence of residence or lack thereof, sic "how can this be enforced?"

It was a rhetorical question. Of course if such a person was not *living* in Northern Ireland it would come back to haunt them when applying for naturalisation.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:03 pm

Dawie wrote: Don't forget that the majority of people who are born in Northern Ireland are both UK AND Irish citizens by virtue of the fact that they are born in the UK and by virtue of the fact that anyone born on the ENTIRE island of Ireland is automatically an Irish citizen.
No longer *everyone* from 1 January 2005.

cyc1
Newly Registered

Post by cyc1 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:24 pm

hi
i have been to ireland several times on a visit.
for detail information of what you need for a visit.
go through the link below
hope it helps
http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A21A5/ ... ppDocs.pdf

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:23 pm

Thank you for the link, although it doesn't seem to include any information on a visit visa for the spouse of an EU Citizen. Fingers crossed that everyone working in the visa section agrees that if we are travelling together my husband only has to supply both our passports and marriage certificate.

Husband went to Greek Embassy on Friday and everyone on this forum was right - should definitely have booked a weekend in France first and applied to French Embassy instead.

He said it was awful - so much for their telephone appointment booking service - people were just wandering in off the street no problem, although as soon as he walked in two security guards grabbed him - Greeks can spot an Albanian a mile off. Turns out there was no real appointment times at all so he ended up hanging round for hours.

My husband speaks Greek which came in handy as half the staff wouldn't speak in English at all and thought it was funny to take the piss out of people while they were waiting, obviously thinking no-one could understand, although they soon shut up when my husband started translating to the waiting room.

Eventually he spoke to a very rude woman who said she could organise a visa for him to return to his 'own country', hilarious! He has an Albanian passport - no additional visas needed, and being the Greek Embassy what on earth did she think she could offer him? So he said he was off on holiday to Greece and she wanted exact dates for both trips, he somehow mixed up June and August and asked for the holiday in April and one in June. She said he couldn't have a schengan visa for all of the EU, just for Greece (?), and wanted to know if we were travelling through any other country on route. She also said he couldn't have a six month visa just one for the dates requested, when he asked why she just said 'no' repeatedly until he gave up asking and that was it.

They have kept hold of his passport and he has to collect it on the 15th! 12 days - that's longer than it took for him to get a Spouse Visa, god knows what it will have in it when he goes to collect and fingers crossed they don't lose it.

To be honest we both thought it would be bad after our visit to the Greek Embassy in Albania last year. We went and asked for an application form for a schengan visa at the front of the embassy and the security guards nearly died laughing. We were sent around the back and there were probably five hundred people there (plus burger and ice cream vans!). We eventually asked an embassy person for an application form and they cost equivalent of £20! We informed the man they are free as is the cost of the visa for the spouse of an EU citizen, and he just laughed again and walked off. We decided the Greek embassy in Albania was not somewhere my husband fancied leaving his passport especially as he had just got his spouse visa stuck in it.

We have decided to have a weekend in Paris in July and will use the schengan visa from that trip to visit Greece in August.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:58 pm

Marie, a useful post! It seems like the staff at the Greek Embassy in London have been taking lessons from their counterparts in the Spanish Embassy! I have seen a post in the past where you would delete Spain and insert Greece and end up with your wording.

What gets me is this! Thank goodness that both Greece and Spain don't have a tourist industry. Otherwise just imagine the damage that would be done to those tourist industries ... by the extreme rudeness of those members of embassy staff!

Hey, wait a minute, those countries do have tourist industries! So they are being damaged! The sooner someone in authority realises just how damaging those embassies are being to their respective countries ... the better!
John