ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to europe (first time) as a Biritsh citizen!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tt

Post by tt » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:22 pm

Oh, someone mentioned that to avoid queues at the entry point to the UK, they would use a UK passport, since with the other passport, there might be holdups at immigration or awkward quiestions, for example.

With the foreign passport which has RIGHT OF ABODE in it, I'm assuming this wouldn't happen.

I'm interested to know whether a foreign passport with a UK RIGHT OF ABODE endorsement in it actually gives further rights or privileges outside the UK?

I imagine this doesn't affect visa requirements (you would still need them where you used to need them), but you mentioned it helps considerably with airport check-ins.

John. Have you found other advantages to it outside the UK?

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:36 pm

I think the point to bear in mind is that a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abdde only proves (on the face of it, at least) that you have ROA in the UK - it doesn't prove you're a British citizen.

So if you have a CofE in your "X'land" passport, you'll still need a visa to go to, say, Canada, if "X-land" citizens need visas to visit Canada. A CofE is very much a "second best" optiom, IMO, except in limited circumstances such as those described by John, above.

A Cof E costs more than a British passport, even though it is cheaper to produce, and the British citizen passport is very high is the "league table" when it comes to "versatility" - ie the number of countries where it is accepted without a visa being required. As John said, there are cirumstances where a CofE is an advantage, but not many...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

confused1

Post by confused1 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:11 pm

You only ger consular help from the country who issued you the passport (the passport you're carrying with you). If you are ay for example from Zambia, you have a Zambian passport, but you are also a British citizen and hold a British passport.

Now, If you go to China, and are in trouble, then if you have entered China using a Zambian passport, then, you'll receive consular help from Zambia. If you had entered using a British passport, then the British ebassy would help you.

Altough, the Foreign and Common wealth office insists that they are willing to help anyone as far as they are a British citizen.
The advantage of carring a British passport will be, since UK is within the EU, if you go to a country using your British passport, where they don't have a British embassy, but if they have any embassy from other EU country then, they would help you.

:!: :?: :idea:

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:39 pm

confused1 wrote: The advantage of carring a British passport will be, since UK is within the EU, if you go to a country using your British passport, where they don't have a British embassy, but if they have any embassy from other EU country then, they would help you.
There are relatively few countries out there which do not have diplomatic representation from the United Kingdom. It may be an issue for citizens of smaller EU member states, however.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:21 pm

confused1 wrote:You only ger consular help from the country who issued you the passport (the passport you're carrying with you). If you are ay for example from Zambia, you have a Zambian passport, but you are also a British citizen and hold a British passport.

Now, If you go to China, and are in trouble, then if you have entered China using a Zambian passport, then, you'll receive consular help from Zambia. If you had entered using a British passport, then the British ebassy would help you.

Altough, the Foreign and Common wealth office insists that they are willing to help anyone as far as they are a British citizen.
The advantage of carring a British passport will be, since UK is within the EU, if you go to a country using your British passport, where they don't have a British embassy, but if they have any embassy from other EU country then, they would help you.
Good point - although UK has pretty good representation across the world, there are places where it is a bit patchy - francophone Africa, for instance, and the Pacific islands. In these places, the UK's EU membership can be very handy. In some places where the UK is not represented, there are agreements with other, non-EU, countries - such as Australia and New Zealand, I believe.

tt

Post by tt » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:24 pm

I would've imagined that, whatever passport you entered a country with, if you're a British Citizen, then the British Govt will tend for you. The passport is merely an administrative document which is provided based on citizenship, generally. The fact you are a British citizen stands alone from whatever passports you hold, or are using, surely?

This is the case for Brits in the US and associated territories (dual Cits) in criminal proceedings, for example, even if they are using US or other passports in their travels.

I think the UK has some sort of diplomatic representation in almost all places of the world, maybe excepting Bhutan (where at least there is an Indian Embassy), and maybe the Dutch and French territories. And Macau?

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:35 pm

tt wrote:I would've imagined that, whatever passport you entered a country with, if you're a British Citizen, then the British Govt will tend for you. The passport is merely an administrative document which is provided based on citizenship, generally. The fact you are a British citizen stands alone from whatever passports you hold, or are using, surely?

This is the case for Brits in the US and associated territories (dual Cits) in criminal proceedings, for example, even if they are using US or other passports in their travels.

I think the UK has some sort of diplomatic representation in almost all places of the world, maybe excepting Bhutan (where at least there is an Indian Embassy), and maybe the Dutch and French territories. And Macau?
According to this page on the FCO website
If you are in a country of which you are not a national
You should seek consular assistance from the country on whose passport you are travelling. If you are a dual national travelling to a third country on a passport other than your British passport then you should contact your other nationality’s Embassy for assistance.
On (I think) every page of www.fco.gov.uk there is a drop-down shortcut menu, with a link to [sic] "UK Embassies Overseas", giving details for every British diplomatic and consular office. (No-one seems to have told the webmaster that consulates aren't embassies, and neither are high commissions...)