ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Absences - UKBA clarification about conflict

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:50 am

My understanding of 3/6 months based on a UKA reply to a participant of this forum is as under:

"Any absences other than paid annual leave or necessary business trips should not exceed 3 months at a time or 6 months in total over the 5 year period. "

Hence private absences within above limit do not constitute break in UK.

However it appears that case workers are not clear on this due to ambiguous language of UKBA IDI/Guide and that is the reason there is no uniformity of treatment.

Day on which one leave UK and the day on which one re-enter UK is not treated absence from UK
Last edited by jami on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lily365yang
Newly Registered

Post by lily365yang » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:59 am

[quote="jami"]Break in leave in UK is not absence from UK rather break between two leaves which breaks the qualifying period and re-sets ILR clock. Suppose for example one Tier 1 applicant had entry clearance/leave to remain in UK of three years ending on 31/3/2010. He applied for extension/further leave to remain in UK on 25/3/2010 and his payment was declined and application was returned as invalid on 15/4/2010. He applied again on 20/4/2010 and leave was extended for two years on 30/4/2010. Since valid application was filed on 20/4/2010 therefore there is break in leave from 1/4/2010 to 20/4/2010 or for that matter up to 30/4/2010.

Now this break in leave would be ignored as per new guideline to be issued.

Which paragrape in the guideline can give this explaination please? One of my friends has just been refused of ilr due to this kind of break. Many thanks.

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Dear "lily365yang" - You asked

" Which paragrape in the guideline can give this explaination please? One of my friends has just been refused of ilr due to this kind of break. Many thanks."

Reply is contained in following extract of UKBA clarification email dated 12 July 2011 reproduced earlier:

"As far as breaks in leave within the UK are concerned, this is currently covered here in the Modernised Guidance:

"Time spent here may exceptionally be aggregated, and continuity not insisted upon, for cases where:

• There have been no absences abroad, see calculation of the five year period for settlement, and authorised employment or business in the UK has not been broken by any interruptions of more than three months or amounting to more than six months in total for the whole five year period. Decisions in such cases must be taken at HEO level or above."

Once the formal review of this guidance has been undertaken, this will be highlighted to all staff undertaking settlement cases and will be available on HO Intranet aswell as UKBA website. This should lessen any potential consistency issues in the different parts of UKBA. "

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 pm

today a member has posted that he got ILR with 450 business related absences and twice he was out of UK for more than 3 months at a time

This latest decision is very encouraging in the context of discussion in this topic

farah

Post by farah » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:27 am

it means whatever is duration of UK absences the reasons and evidence thereof counts for case worker to exercise discretion.
Similarly ties in UK during absences and no ties with home country ought to be demonstrated.

MPI

Post by MPI » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:18 pm

jami wrote:Hi"MPI"

My opinion on your quires:
1- Would my 90+ single absence be justified?

Absence of 120 days is apparently not justified. But you can improve your chances by claiming these under compassionate circumstances and producing evidence in support thereof and evidence of your continued ties with UK in that period

2- if so , how many days is left for me ? 180 or 60?

Your chances would be further improved if you assume that you have 60 left for remaining 2 years
thanks Jami , one more thing , what would be the worst case scenario if discretion is not given in my favour? would my clock restart from the day I returned ? ( my five year ILR period starts 06/08/2008 , I left UK on 02/12/2008 , returned 02/04/2009 ) . thanks

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:36 am

worst case = reset clock from 2/4/2009
best case = discretion is excercised by case worker in your favour
in-between = asked to apply for ILR after 120 days

tier1general2009
Newly Registered

Post by tier1general2009 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:58 am

hi Jami,

Please can you advise in my case as well please? I would much appreciate it.

I wil be eligible to apply ILR in Jan 2012.

From 1st March 2010 - 4th June 2010 (96 days, if we consider months it will be 3 days more than 3 months), I was on official trip to singapore which is not my home country. During that period, I was not paid in uk but rather I got my payment in Singapore.

As the duration exceeds 90 days and I am not paid in uk, will it impact my application and is my ILR clock starts again from June 2010?

Other than the above, the time spent is all personal holidays and it is within annual limit

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Job related absences of more than 3 months can be agregated by case worker if you improve upon your case by paying tax in UK on salary paid in Singapore being resident of UK.

Period of your absence from 1/3/2010 to 5/4/2010 falls in tax year 2010 return of which was due on or before 31/1/2011. Return cn be filed now and it would attract penalty 0f £100. Whereas your remaining period falls in tax year 2011 and return can be filed up to 31/1/2012.If you file it early you would be having evidence at the time of ILR in Jan.2012.

In case your ist payment in Singapore was after 5/4/2010 you can show entire earing in tax year 2011.

In addition to that provide evidence of your ties with UK during the period of absence.

tier1general2009
Newly Registered

Post by tier1general2009 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks for your advise Jami.

Yes, I have filed my tax returns for 2010 without any penalty. I take your point on tax year 2011.

Imm2011
Newly Registered

Post by Imm2011 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:10 am

Appreciate the inputs have been provided to clarify the confusion for may of us. Apologies if I am asking for clarification to similar queries raised earlier like mine.
I have been in UK from 2004 and being on-off due to business requirement. I am planning to file ILR from 05-Nov-2005. However there is a gap of 430days in total since then till now. The details are as below:-
1. I came to UK on work permit on 05-Nov-2005 and was there till 17-Aug-2006.
2. Paid Annual Leave (16days) - I went on paid annual leave from 17-Aug-2006 till 02-Sep-2006.
3. Away from UK for business purpose (393days) -I have to travel back to offshore site for business purpose to set up the offshore team for a period of 1 year. To be specific I was away from UK between 28-Oct-2006 till 24-Nov-2007. I can get this evidence to show this gap due to business purpose.
4.I came back to UK on the same work permit for the same employer and same customer on 25-Nov-2007.
5.I converted my work permit to Tier-1 general during Jun-2009 and on the same VISA status as of now. This is now due to expire on Jun-2012
6.Paid Annual Leave (21days) - I went on paid annual leave from 21-Nov-2009 till 12-Dec-2009.
7.In total, I have been around 430days away from UK due to above.
8.I have also continued bank statement and P60 for all these years.

Considering above, require your suggestion if I can move forward to apply ILR.
Many thanks in advance.

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:19 am

393 job related absences at a time would be a major hurdle in your ILR and merely a simple employer letter would not be sufficient.Employer should explain why sending you was necessary for them

If you were paid for that period in UK and taxed through PAYE than chances are improved. Take your chance at PEO Solihull/Glasgow/Belfast where fee is taken after positive decision only

Imm2011
Newly Registered

Post by Imm2011 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Jami,

Thanks for the note.
I was not paid here during 393 days of absence. However I have P60 filed during this period and while coming back in Nov-2006, I came with same WP and exteded the same after reaching UK.

Will this be fine for this case to be considered.

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Imm2011,

Your absence from 28-Oct-2006 to 5 April 2007 falls in tax year 2007 and absence from 6 April 2007 to 24-Nov-2007 falls in tax year 2008.
When you say that you were not paid in UK but you have P60 than it implies that your P60 of 2006-2007 contains your earnings from 6 April 2006 to 28 Oct 2006 and your P60 of 2007-8 contains earnings from 25 Nov 2007 to 5 April 2008.

Please confirm above.
If so than this P60 is not useful for justifying absences.

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Could you please help me understand this?

My understanding is that during the 5 years period total days spent outside UK should not be more than 180 days and no single break should be more than 90 days.
Is this understanding correct?

Do we have to produce justification such as employer letter for every time you went on holiday even if you are within the limits i.e. less than 90 days single trip and less than 180 days total in 5 years?

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:49 pm

silversurfer,

As per my understanding no evidence should be required where over all absences during 5 years are under 6 months due to whatever reasons and similarly no evidence where single absence is not over 3 months.

But 6/3 months absence is a concession given by UKBA. In Immigration Rules the expression used for ILR is:

"period of 5 years continuous lawful residence in United Kingdom "

In ILR rules contrary to Naturalization rules there is no mention of absences permissible in the qualifying period.
UKBA has given the aforesaid concession by interpreting word
" continuous" not literally rather reasonably. ( though it is still not very reasonable )

As an abundant precaution one should attach evidence of annual leaves related absences as the same should be readily available.

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:33 pm

jami wrote:silversurfer,

As per my understanding no evidence should be required where over all absences during 5 years are under 6 months due to whatever reasons and similarly no evidence where single absence is not over 3 months.

But 6/3 months absence is a concession given by UKBA. In Immigration Rules the expression used for ILR is:

"period of 5 years continuous lawful residence in United Kingdom "

In ILR rules contrary to Naturalization rules there is no mention of absences permissible in the qualifying period.
UKBA has given the aforesaid concession by interpreting word
" continuous" not literally rather reasonably. ( though it is still not very reasonable )

As an abundant precaution one should attach evidence of annual leaves related absences as the same should be readily available.
well.....the problem is though I haven't been out of country for long ........ the longest was I think 10 or 12 days. But I don't have a record to link it with annual leaves and I have since changed jobs and I don't think I'd be able to obtain any such evidence from my previous employer.

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:01 pm

silversurfer,

if your longest is only of 12 days than absences are NO ISSUE
and you don't need any evidence at all

Relax and congratulations in advance

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:05 pm

jami wrote:silversurfer,

if your longest is only of 12 days than absences are NO ISSUE
and you don't need any evidence at all

Relax and congratulations in advance
Thanks a lot! Much Appreciated!

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:02 pm

Some one had pointed out to UKBA regarding different treatment of absences by case workers. Text of request to clarify and UKBA response is relevant to this topic and as such reproduced blew:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 July 2011

Dear UK Border Agency,

The guidelines for ILR clearly state that

"The Immigration Rules do not make any provision for absence from
the UK,
however operational practise allows for absence consistent with
paid
leave or work commitments to be disregarded from any assessment of
absence. In addition to this we will permit short breaks of no more
than 3 months in duration for a single absence and six months in
total
throughout the whole of the five years."

However although some people have had absence consistent with paid
annual leave, their applications have been rejected on the basis of
not having spent enough time in the UK for it to be regarded as
continuous. On what basis do caseworkers apply this discretion? In
some cases (reading from various immigration forums) caseworkers
seem to disregard paid annual leave from assessment of absence,
whilst in others they count this as part of the total 6 month
absence permitted. A clarification in this regard would really help
as several people still seem unclear over how caseworkers decide
whether to disregard paid annual leave or not.

Yours faithfully,

K R
----------------------------------UKBA reply ----------------------------

Date: 22 July 2008

Dear KR,

Thank you for your e-mail of to Freedom of Information Team, in which you ask for clarification of current UK Border Agency guidance for assessing the period of 5 years continuous lawful residence in United Kingdom. Although your request has been submitted as a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, it addresses issues more related to operational policy as the information you have requested is already reasonably accessible to you on UKBA website.

The information you require can be found at the following location:

UKBA Modernised Guidance: Indefinite Leave to Remain - Calculating Continuous Period in the UK

You will note that, within UKBA Modernised Guidance, short business trips and paid annual leave may be disregarded when calculating the continuous leave period. Breaks of leave within the UK and other longer absences outside the UK for either compassionate or work related reasons may be disregarded or aggregated, but these absences must be approved by a senior officer at either HEO or SEO grade.

In making the decision whether to disregard or aggregate leave, the caseworker must take into account all of the individual circumstances of a migrants case including the type of employment, the annual leave in their contract of employment, the reasons and necessity of short or longer business trips, together with any exceptional and compassionate factors
which may have delayed return to the United Kingdom. In exercising discretion, the caseworker and senior officer would assess whether this absence would be reasonable on a case by case basis. To aid the decision making process, it is recommended that migrants
forward all relevant supporting documentation at the time they make their application for settlement including employer/medical evidence where appropriate.

We have been reviewing the Modernised Guidance to clarify some of the issues that you have raised. The Settlement Operational Policy Team have recently re-circulated this guidance to all caseworkers who work on settlement applications, to ensure that any potential in consistencies are minimized.

isidds
Newly Registered

Post by isidds » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:54 pm

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:19 am Post By: jami
393 job related absences at a time would be a major hurdle in your ILR and merely a simple employer letter would not be sufficient.Employer should explain why sending you was necessary for them

If you were paid for that period in UK and taxed through PAYE than chances are improved. Take your chance at PEO Solihull/Glasgow/Belfast where fee is taken after positive decision only
Hi Jami,

I've tried booking an appointment with all three PEO's in your comment above and none of them list any appointments until Sep 25th. Or is it that I am doing something wrong? Is there a time of day/day of week, I should try to get an appointment with these PEO's? Or is calling them a better option?

Thanks for your help
isidds

isidds
Newly Registered

Post by isidds » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Jami, please ignore the comment above as I just managed to get an appointment with Solihull PEO on 2nd Sep.

Hopefuls, I think the trick is keep the search on varying your flexibility until you find an appointment.

thanks

some1
Newly Registered

Post by some1 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi Jami,

I will be eligible for my ILR next year, I have been out of the UK for 83days (53 (15 paid and rest are unpaid)+ 30 (paid )in total in last 4 years and I have no plans to go outside UK until I get my ILR. My question is the 53 days (went home for my marriage, I was working through agency which gave only 2 paid leaves each month )absence would it affect my application? Do I need to provide any evidence for that absence?
If I have to contact UKBA whom should I contact.

Thanks in advance.

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:12 am

As per my understanding for whatever reason if single absence at a time is not more than 3 months and overall absences in five years are less than 6 months than one is pretty safe and no evidence of absences is required.

However as an abundant precaution one should gather evidence and carry with him if availing same day service at PEO.

As for as your query regarding contacting UKBA is concerned a charity has developed a remarkable system/website for obtaining information -under Freedom of Information Act - from various organizations including UKBA. Their link is as under;

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/ukba
One can contact UKBA through above website.

Alternatively in respect of ILR issues UKBA can be contacted directly at:

Permanent Migration
Operational Policy Team
2nd Floor, India Buildings,
Water Street
Liverpool
L2 0QN

Tel 0870 606 7766

Email SettlementOpsPolicy@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Angela Jiang

Post by Angela Jiang » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi Jami:

Thank you for your hard work. I also have some questions about ILR SET(O) Tier 1 (General)

Who are HEO and SEO?

Does all PEOs have HEO and SEO allocated?

If my absence are all paid leaves but among those leaves, only one paid business trip is 98 days, do you think I should better apply by post? I have strong evidence showing I am still settled in UK during the 98 days( gas bills, council tax, car insurance paid, phone bills, emails from boss begging me to stay till problems are sorved, etc.) Do I have big fighting chance to get it done in the same day service?

Angela