ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A Quick Naturalisation Question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:04 pm

John, what about a provisional driving license, would I be able to get into France via train by it?

And I am going by train, I doubt Marseille has immigration at the station. Its like you coming down to London via train and getting asked to provide your passport.
………………………

Anastasia

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:59 pm

Anastasia wrote:John, what about a provisional driving license, would I be able to get into France via train by it?

And I am going by train, I doubt Marseille has immigration at the station. Its like you coming down to London via train and getting asked to provide your passport.
………………………

Anastasia

A drivers licence does not prove nationality so won't get you into France (or back into the UK), sorry.

If travelling to Marseille you would need to pass through an immigration checkpoint either upon disembarkation from the ferry in France, or before entering the Channel Tunnel.

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:35 pm

Jaj,

I figured as France is part of the EU, individuals have the right to travel freely without being controlled by immigration, as long as they have prove of identification.

A driving license proofs your residency in the UK.

Is there no form of identity card I can apply for? There must be one.

………………..

Anastasia

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:03 pm

Anastasia wrote:Is there no form of identity card I can apply for? There must be one.
No there is not. You will need to wait until you have a British Passport before travelling internationally. As I recollect you applied for naturalisation some time ago, so hopefully you will not need to wait very much longer.

Except, you have said you are Russian. You could get a Russian passport and then a Schengen visa in that. Except I suspect that the time to do all that will greatly exceed your wait time for the British Passport.
I figured as France is part of the EU, individuals have the right to travel freely without being controlled by immigration, as long as they have prove of identification.
Inside the 15-country Schengen area .... yes that is true ... but the UK is not part of that area. So anyone travelling from the UK to any Schengen country, such as France, will need to pass through immigration control.
John

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:30 pm

The Russians have never issued me with a passport and its unlikely that they would even consider ssuing me one.

Uhmm, and what about a travel document?

…………………

Anastasia

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:42 pm

This link should help.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:38 pm

Ppron74,

I had a look at that site about the travel documents, kind of hard to select which one applies to me.
I assume I would have to apply for the ‘certificate of identity’ travel document, I seem to fit the criteria, only problem is the country that I will be travailing to (France) is part of the Schengen agreement and will not accept a Home Office Certificate of Identity as a valid travel document.

……………………….

Anastasia

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:17 am

I wasn't aware that Schengen countries don't accept HO Certificates of Identity - I can't see any reference to that on the French consulate website. Can you provide a link?

If that's the case, I guess it's a question of crossing your fingers that your naturalisation application is granted soon...

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:49 am

Anastasia, given that you hope to be British soon I really do have to say ... patience required here! Getting a British passport and all the EU rights that will give you is far better than any possible alternative, and will turn out to be a lot quicker.

Hopefully you will hear about your naturalisation application soon.
John

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:49 am

ppron47,

I got that information of www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

• “Before applying for CID, You should be aware that authorities in some countries do not accept these as valid documents. These parties to the Schengen agreement (Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Iceland, Denmark, Sweden and Austria). South Africa will also not accept these documents.”
Once I have the CID travel document I would have to apply for a Schengen visa.

John, I know patience is required in this case, but I have been so unlucky with this whole process, it took me 15 years to get to this stage!

Eventually patience starts to wear off.

………………………

Anastasia

sasha
Newly Registered

Anastasia

Post by sasha » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:41 am

Just to let you know I received my letter of approval. It took just over 4 months.

good luck

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:17 am

Congratulations Sasha ... enjoy your Citizenship Ceremony!
John

sasha
Newly Registered

thank you

Post by sasha » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:52 am

Thank you John.

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:23 pm

Congratulations!

I got a letter back from them too, only they are requesting more information, which I am having some trouble getting hold of.

They need evidence that I was here in 2004 – is a letter from my employer stating that I was working for them in 2004 good enough?

Please Advise

Regards

Anastasia

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:36 pm

is a letter from my employer stating that I was working for them in 2004 good enough?
Yes I think so. But I think, just for the record, the employer should detail your holiday dates for the period in question, and confirm that you were at work on all the other workday dates (apart from possibly the odd day of sickness?).

And also state, again for the record, that you only work for them in the UK .... that your job does not involve overseas travel ... (if that is indeed the case).

Hopefully you will get your "application accepted" letter soon!
John

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:09 am

Wouldn't all your bank statements from 2004 be proof as well? If you could produce all of these these they would prove conclusively where you where on every day of 2004. (Assuming you use your bank account on a regular basis).
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:28 am

Dawie wrote:Wouldn't all your bank statements from 2004 be proof as well? If you could produce all of these these they would prove conclusively where you where on every day of 2004. (Assuming you use your bank account on a regular basis).
I'm sure they would help but I'm not so sure about the use of the word "conclusively" - surely bank statements would only show where the holder's card was, on the day it was used? My own has never been out of my possession - ever - but I know couples, and even flatmates, etc where this isn't the case.....

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:11 am

I have been already been told that bank statements do not prove residency. You generally need documentation that proves you have regularly attended something, work, collage, ect..

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:13 am

Could be difficult if you've worked for multiple employers over the last 5 years to get letters from all of them stating that you've worked there.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:45 am

Hey Dawie,

It wasn’t easy getting all those letters from ex work places, but I managed in the end. I ended up sending a payslip from one place, a letter confirming I worked there from another place and a P60 from another place. Hopefully that’s all correct, I received a letter from them stating they have received my documents and will let me know the decision after they carry out character checks, and returned my documents back to me.

Perhaps that’s why my application is under going ‘character checks’, I suppose they have to check out I actually worked there.

…………………

Anastasia

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:49 am

Perhaps that’s why my application is under going ‘character checks’, I suppose they have to check out I actually worked there.
Based on postings from other users, that seems to be a fairly standard letter that you've received. I think the character checks involves checking the references that you supplied as well as checking that all your tax affairs are in order and that the information you supplied about any criminal records is correct.

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:00 am

Yes, I suppose it is standard, it’s just annoying when people say “yea, well you have to understand that the Liverpool office is busy since 1st Nov changes blab bla bla”… If that is the case… then why am I hearing people who have applied later than me. E.g. June applicants, and have already been approved. And I am still waiting in the 6th month.

……………..

Anastasia