ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

E.U States Allowing Visa free Travel-E.U Fam&Residence c

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:57 am

All I can say is, that if you want things to change and to have the UK and Ireland issue residence cards that are accepted all over the EAA, you need to move: you need to make pressure, you need to act. Just sitting down and hoping one day Labour or Tory will see you moping and ask what the problem is is only going to reinofrce their position that they can do as they feel and stuff EU directives.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

d3622
Newly Registered

Post by d3622 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 am

Hi,i am a turkish citizen,my husband is polish.I have a uk residence card.I was wondering can i travel alone to france without visa?

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:12 pm

NO you cannot, you need a Schengen visa to travel alone to France.
d3622 wrote:Hi,i am a turkish citizen,my husband is polish.I have a uk residence card.I was wondering can i travel alone to france without visa?
Charles4u

d3622
Newly Registered

Post by d3622 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Thank you.I did talked to someone at french embassy today, she told me i have to travel with my husband othervise i need a visa.but last summer i went to italy and germany without my husband thinking that i do not need a visa and i did not have any problem.i also called the italian schengen office today they told me i do not need a visa to go to italy even i travel alone. :roll:

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Hello all,

Me - non-EEA national holding a fam. member residence card + 3-year multi. entry schengen visa; residing in the UK with
My Hubby - EFTA national

We plan travelling to separate destinations this summer - me to Holland and him to Switzerland. I am aware that as long as he hasn't been absent from the UK for more than 6 months the EU directive doesn't require the EU national to always accompany or receive the non-EEA family member on every trip.

Questions:

1. Should I expect any hassle from immigration when returning?

2. If asked whether I have family in the UK (which was the case on our return from Switzerland last winter) would I be shooting myself in the foot by admitting that my hubby is in Switzerland to return in a few days?
Of course I will be travelling with our marriage certificate as proof of our partnership.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Plum70 wrote:1. Should I expect any hassle from immigration when returning?
May very well depend on the airport and on the officer you meet there. My wife returned from Russia last October to Manchester airport. The officers there only checked her passport with the residence card and let her go without further ado (No question for landing card, no stamp. Just as it should be).
Plum70 wrote:2. If asked whether I have family in the UK (which was the case on our return from Switzerland last winter) would I be shooting myself in the foot by admitting that my hubby is in Switzerland to return in a few days?
I would understand this question as whether you have family living in the UK which you can obviously answer with yes as your are living together here.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks 86ti.

I also would interpret the question to mean 'Do I have a family member living in the UK'; however if i'm asked if my husband is present in the UK then i'll have to fess up. Still, from my understanding of the requirements of the Directive, this should not normally pose a problem.

But you are right - it does depend on the imm. officer I encounter, and i'll prepare as best I can for multiple scenarios!

laboudi
Newly Registered

E.U States that Allow Visa free Travel for E.U Fam

Post by laboudi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:35 pm

I am married to a British national and have an indefinite leave to remain in UK. do I need a schengen visa if i want to go to spain for 10 days? I do not have the EU family member stamp on my passport !

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: E.U States that Allow Visa free Travel for E.U Fam

Post by 86ti » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:02 pm

laboudi wrote:I do not have the EU family member stamp on my passport !
Which means that you are in the wrong thread...

You'll most likely need a visa as per Article 5(2) of the Directive. But Article 5(4) also states that the family members can't just be denied if the relationship can be proven by other means. If you'll make it to a knowing immigration officer that is...

laboudi
Newly Registered

E.U States that Allow Visa free Travel for E.U Fam

Post by laboudi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:44 pm

But I have been to Cyprus without a visa. all I did was showing them the marriage certificate in the airport. can this be done in other schengen countries?

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: E.U States that Allow Visa free Travel for E.U Fam

Post by 86ti » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:55 am

laboudi wrote:But I have been to Cyprus without a visa. all I did was showing them the marriage certificate in the airport. can this be done in other schengen countries?
Cyprus is not Schengen. Your first problem will be to get on the plane.

fortunitos
Newly Registered

work an rest

Post by fortunitos » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:07 pm

watch free rubbish here: http://bit.ly/bqaTMo

giruzz

Post by giruzz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:15 pm

watch free rubbish here: ttp://bit.ly/bqaTMo
Will someone please remove this link to a virus site and block this chap.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:17 pm

I think the Belgians need to go back to elementary school and learn to read. Maybe a bit of profficiency will help them understand the Directive better.

dell
Newly Registered

Swedish residence card holder travelling to Iceland

Post by dell » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:36 am

Hi,

Can you one of you please answer my query.

I am Non EU citizen holding Swedish Residence card, traveling to Iceland in the first week of May without my wife(EU citizen). I am just going to short visit for a meeting. Do I need a Visa for this purpose. Will by residence card do for traveling to Iceland.
Can you please share your experiences or knowledge of this issue.
Thank you

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Funny as it sounds, they don't require a visa for non-EU national holder a Romanian residence permit as a family member even when traveling alone.
Charles4u

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: Swedish residence card holder travelling to Iceland

Post by 86ti » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:52 pm

dell wrote:Hi,

Can you one of you please answer my query.

I am Non EU citizen holding Swedish Residence card, traveling to Iceland in the first week of May without my wife(EU citizen). I am just going to short visit for a meeting. Do I need a Visa for this purpose. Will by residence card do for traveling to Iceland.
Can you please share your experiences or knowledge of this issue.
Thank you
As both Sweden and Iceland are Schengen members you should be able to travel alone. Your residence card should count as a "Schengen residence permit" (I asume that the Swedish government has reported the RC as such to the EU Comission).

dell
Newly Registered

Post by dell » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:21 pm

thank you for your reply

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:57 am

I think we are still some distance from the harmonious realization and implementation of the EU Directive amongst all EU/EEA states. Until then, non-EEA family members remain in the middle of a 'hit and miss' game.

My encounter with an IO at Brussels Midi station yesterday (my hubby was standing right behind me in line):

Me: (I hand IO my passport and say) "Hello"
IO: (Looks at my passport, sighs and begins saying), "You are supposed to fill a landing card..."
Me: (I interrupt IO and say), "No. I am not; and you will see why when you look in my passport.
IO: (leafs through passport pages) "I don't see a Right of Abode anywhere... so let me guess - you have a RC?"
Me: "Yes"
IO: "You see, this is my problem... these RCs don't prevent us from stamping your passport and I would very much like to stamp it like my other colleagues do"
Me: "You are not supposed to do so under EU law and your UK Border force Ops manual clearly stats this"
IO: (disagrees in some mumbled up phrase, then says) "You know that your RC can be cancelled at any time?
Me: (unfazed) "Only with good reason. Yes"
IO: "Yes, with good reason"
Me: Silent
IO: "Your RC is only valid till 2013 anyway, by which time you would have to leave the country"
Me: Silent (fuming internally and thinking to myself: this guy really has no clue!)
IO: (looking a tad irritated, hands me back my passport and says) "Cheerio!"
Me: Took passport and semi-stormed off

Granted, this is my 1st unsavoury encounter with an IO in 6 years; still, what a piece of work!

exoticbeauty
Newly Registered

Post by exoticbeauty » Thu May 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Subject: documents for traveling
To: consolato.bucarest@esteri.it
Date: Thursday, May 6, 2010, 8:01 PM
Hello,
I'm russian citizen married with romanian citizen. We are going to Italy together for a vacation. I've read in EU laws i dont need any viza to go in Italy if i'm married with EU citizen and i have a residence in EU country. I have carte de rezidenta in romania as a family member.
Is it correct?
Also, is there any other documents besides my passport, carte de rezidenta, marriage certificate i must have with me?
Thank you.
Best Regards
M Oxana

answer recived:

Subject: touristic visa for Italy
To: oxana
Date: Monday, May 10, 2010, 6:15 PM

Dear Madam,

In case you own a resident card for family members ("Carte de rezidenta pentru membrii de familie") you need a visa to enter Italy.
Please find attached the list of necessary documents in order to obtain a touristic visa and also a model of invitation (in case you are invited by a person resident in Italy).

Best regards,

Visa Section
Embassy of Italy in Bucarest

bullshit???

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu May 13, 2010 3:55 pm

exoticbeauty wrote:bullshit???
No, it's perfectly correct in your case.

You do not have a "Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen", you have a "carte de rezidenta".
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

exoticbeauty
Newly Registered

Post by exoticbeauty » Thu May 13, 2010 4:04 pm

curious,what is the differente and why i could go to other eu states with it and just my passport,visa free

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu May 13, 2010 4:12 pm

exoticbeauty wrote:curious,what is the differente
Yours was issued in accordance with the national legislation of Romania, as the spouse of a Romanian national. A "Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen" is issued to the family member of an EEA national who is resident in Romania in accordance with EU Directive 2004/38/EC.
exoticbeauty wrote:and why i could go to other eu states with it and just my passport,visa free
Perhaps the other EU states made a mistake?

You should apply to your nearest Italian mission for a Schengen visa. It will be issued free of charge and as soon as possible.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

exoticbeauty
Newly Registered

Post by exoticbeauty » Thu May 13, 2010 4:21 pm