ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

board2011
Newly Registered

Post by board2011 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:06 am

Hi, guys, here is one Immigrants Advisory Service, it is free for student, it maybe helpful, if you want to go for a legal action.

http://www.iasuk.org/home.aspx

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:58 pm

tall_funky wrote:Guys I’m also hopeful of the transitional period just because of the English common law which works on precedent and we have a very strong precedent in MBA Provision TA.

Mr. Green must be knowing this all too well and thats why he will be giving us the TA.

P.S: My understanding of English law confines to common sense.
That's true. MBA provision was not a legal precedent however, as there was lobbying to get it, it never got to court and was just given without complications. I think we will be given some arrangement also, what kind, it is hard to say.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 pm

fibreman wrote:
tall_funky wrote:Guys I’m also hopeful of the transitional period just because of the English common law which works on precedent and we have a very strong precedent in MBA Provision TA.

Mr. Green must be knowing this all too well and thats why he will be giving us the TA.

P.S: My understanding of English law confines to common sense.
That's true. MBA provision was not a legal precedent however, as there was lobbying to get it, it never got to court and was just given without complications. I think we will be given some arrangement also, what kind, it is hard to say.
Well to be honest with you guys, 2 years PSW no less no more!!

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:16 pm

Plz let your views known to The Home Affairs Committee on the proposed closure of PSW and restrictions on students.

Friends, its very important and time is running out as closing date is Friday 14th January 2011.

Thank you all for your kind support.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... ent-visas/

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:14 pm

What are the odds of being granted PSW if you have a MA degree from UK institution (King's) and are applying from outside the UK in March? My application will be submitted mid-March (before the April announcement, whatever it is). I think chances are good if you apply before April, no?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:40 pm

if you satisfy all requirements... yea your chances are very bright

regards

lavezziisgod
Newly Registered

Post by lavezziisgod » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:58 pm

jlewisunh wrote:What are the odds of being granted PSW if you have a MA degree from UK institution (King's) and are applying from outside the UK in March? My application will be submitted mid-March (before the April announcement, whatever it is). I think chances are good if you apply before April, no?
My situation is similar to you, my friend.. but the consultation period ends in January and I am worried that instead of waiting until April, they may just as well abolish the system rightaway giving transition arrangements to ONLY those who are inside the UK, and I am not...

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 pm

lavezziisgod wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:What are the odds of being granted PSW if you have a MA degree from UK institution (King's) and are applying from outside the UK in March? My application will be submitted mid-March (before the April announcement, whatever it is). I think chances are good if you apply before April, no?
My situation is similar to you, my friend.. but the consultation period ends in January and I am worried that instead of waiting until April, they may just as well abolish the system rightaway giving transition arrangements to ONLY those who are inside the UK, and I am not...
I sincerely hope they don't just abolish in before april. i highly doubt they'd do that. EDIT: In fact, the more I think about it, the less likely this seems. After the consultation closes I think they will use the time between then and April to actually decide the new policies. And I think they'll use as much time as possible since it's a very difficult issue to resolve.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:16 am

Well guy's, I don't think its that easy for them to abolish PSW without Transitional Arrangement.

However, worse cum worse if they do abolish PSW, let's prepare for a long legal journey.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Copy and pasted from Internet in public interest

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3GL3XJJ

Please note that in order to highlight the great value PSW bring to the UK Education in NUS submission to the government’s consultation which ends on 31st Jan 2011, we will really need the largest possible sample from our international students in the UK.

Among all discussion of the Government announcement of possible changes to the Tier 4 students visa, Post Study Work Visa is one of the most deeply-felt by the membership of NUS. The post-study work route gives international students who obtain an education degree in the UK the valuable 2 years experience to find work experience in the UK. This 2 years work experience is widely considered by international students as an important part to their UK education experience. However, the proposal announced in December last year propose to cancel this highly valuable programme to international students who have been recruited into the UK with the promise set up by their universities to have this 2 years experience as part of their education experience.

We are hoping you can help us to widely promote this survey and get large sample of results to be used as an important part of the evidence NUS collected to lobby the government to make the strongest case to protect all international students in the UK on Post Study Work Visa related policy change.

Any help or support will be really appreciated.

All the best and take care,

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:42 pm

tall_funky wrote:Well guy's, I don't think its that easy for them to abolish PSW without Transitional Arrangement.

However, worse cum worse if they do abolish PSW, let's prepare for a long legal journey.
I agree... even this govt, which is extremely unfriendly to skilled immigrants, hasn't abolished anything in a flash. For tier 1, it even says there will be special arrangements for those in country... and the change was announced months ahead for it to end in april.

I think that it would be hard to justify closing the system from tmrw, without regard for people already in uk now finishing. We have made a big commitment, tier 1 people haven't spent 30k+ in fees etc. We have already been here for some time.

If it fails, time to start some legal action. I figure most ending this year have visas till around nov.

I agree, though, that they might close the scheme completely for those outside UK. Trans period is meant to serve for those finishing now or clsoe to that. Those out of country have finished already and gone back.

It wouldn't be bad to be prepared for legal actions even before the decision.

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Hey everyone I dnt knw if this has been posted before but it is another example of transitional arrangements.

In this case for MBA applications under Tier 1

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... nsitional/

Basically it gives people who started their MBA in 2008 a chance to still be eligible for Tier 1 even though if they will be closed. This gives me some hope that we will get at least get some sort of transitional arrangements.

Hoping for the best!

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:54 pm

tusso wrote:Hey everyone I dnt knw if this has been posted before but it is another example of transitional arrangements.

In this case for MBA applications under Tier 1

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... nsitional/

Basically it gives people who started their MBA in 2008 a chance to still be eligible for Tier 1 even though if they will be closed. This gives me some hope that we will get at least get some sort of transitional arrangements.

Hoping for the best!
It has, most likely we'll get some arrangement, judging by recent decisions and older ones.

tall_funky
BANNED

Open Letter

Post by tall_funky » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Open Letter to UKBA and all Concerned parties

Dear Mr. Immigration Minister,

We the International student’s of the UK studying at various universities and colleges in the UK like to contact you regarding the UKBA’s latest proposals on the student immigration system. We have already invested considerable amount of time and money (tens of thousands of pound) in the hope of attaining a brilliant world class UK education experience and thereby preparing ourselves as a good global citizen.

One aspect of these proposals is a plan to scrap the post-study work visa (henceforth referred to as PSWV). This category was created in order to retain the UK’s best international graduates and to make UK university education more attractive to students. International students currently studying here in UK were essentially promised a two year Tier 1 PSWV upon choosing to study in the UK, and we are sure you can appreciate the invaluable experience student’s gain in working here before heading back home. Indeed, one of the main reasons that many international students choose to study in the UK is because of the opportunity afforded to them in the PSWV. Students who take PSWV contribute significantly to the UK economy, not only financially, but also ensuring its advancement and international outlook. PSWV also act as incentive for students to choose the UK for their studies, and help UK HE to attract the brightest and the best from across the globe.

What the proposal seemingly fails to recognise is the positive cultural and economical contribution of international students to the UK. A recent report from the Nottingham Business School and the Association of Business Schools estimates that Business Schools in the UK (typically containing an extremely high proportion of international students) generate £2 billion in direct income for the UK economy, with an indirect impact of some £7.5 billion annually. We understand that the government has set very ambitious targets in terms of reducing immigration numbers, and we do respect that there does exist a specific problem with regard to bogus ‘institutions’. However, it is these ‘institutions’ that must be targeted and not innocent students.

It strikes us as both unfair and immoral that a) this opportunity, and inherent incentive for students to study in the UK should be removed, and b) that current students, who were encouraged to apply for two year PSWV after completion of their course and thereby attaining extremely valuable work experiences for those two years at the start of their professional life, will now discover it to be just an illusion.
The principles of fairness and predictability require that no retrospective changes should be applied to current students. We believe that retrospective changes send a negative message to current and future students and the public in general. The most important factor in business is trust and students who are planning to invest their time and money in UK should know that they can rely on a consistent and predictable student’s immigration policy.

In the past, whenever there was a policy change the affected immigrants were always given the required transitional period and we hope justice will prevail this time as well.
One of the similar schemes with its Transitional Arrangement can be found here (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... l/#header1)

We hope we have expressed how deeply concerned we are about the implications of these proposals and we hope you will look into the problem and do something reasonable within your power to uphold and preserve the British value of fairness in these tough times.
Thank you very much for your time and we do hope to hear from you very soon.

Yours sincerely,
All International Students,
United Kingdom

tall_funky
BANNED

Lobby

Post by tall_funky » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Guys time is running out :?

Please lobby your local MP and the concerned Ministers:

1) Your local MP
2) Prime Minister (The Rt Hon David Cameron MP)
3) Deputy Prime Minister (The Rt Hon Nick Clegg MP)
4) Home Office Minister (The Rt Hon Theresa May MP)
5) Immigration Minister (The Rt Hon Damian Green MP)
5) Business, Innovation and Skills Minister (The Rt Hon Dr Vincent Cable MP)
6) Minister for Universities and Science (The Rt Hon David Willetts MP)
7) International Development Minister (The Rt Hon Andrew Mitchell MP)
8 ) Leader of Opposition (The Rt Hon Ed Miliband MP)
9) Shadow Home Office Minister (The Rt Hon Ed Balls MP)

You can find all the details on how to lobby at :->

http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/h ... /lobbying/

All you have to do is to COPY & PASTE.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Re: Lobby

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:59 pm

tall_funky wrote:Guys time is running out :?

Please lobby your local MP and the concerned Ministers:

1) Your local MP
2) Prime Minister (The Rt Hon David Cameron MP)
3) Deputy Prime Minister (The Rt Hon Nick Clegg MP)
4) Home Office Minister (The Rt Hon Theresa May MP)
5) Immigration Minister (The Rt Hon Damian Green MP)
5) Business, Innovation and Skills Minister (The Rt Hon Dr Vincent Cable MP)
6) Minister for Universities and Science (The Rt Hon David Willetts MP)
7) International Development Minister (The Rt Hon Andrew Mitchell MP)
8 ) Leader of Opposition (The Rt Hon Ed Miliband MP)
9) Shadow Home Office Minister (The Rt Hon Ed Balls MP)

You can find all the details on how to lobby at :->

http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/h ... /lobbying/

All you have to do is to COPY & PASTE.
Good job mate
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Well summarised, tall_funky. However, I think we shouldn't rub it on their nose, what happened with schemes before. It was a different government, also. Labour was for open immigration, they are not. I'm sure they know what happened in past.

However, if it comes to that, we should use past decision in court, and even
decisions by this govt, since nothing was shut "from next day" even now.

I'm sure we can get some kind of deal, yet to see what it will be. If nothing else, I think they don't want proceedings from students, against universities and further, since it is also very costly, and could in theory, if decision went our way, bankrupt some unis. they don't have the money to give it back to us.

Some of us are also in debt because of coming here, so we want our situation resolved.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:00 pm

fibreman wrote:Well summarised, tall_funky. However, I think we shouldn't rub it on their nose, what happened with schemes before. It was a different government, also. Labour was for open immigration, they are not. I'm sure they know what happened in past.
This is not at all rubbing in their noses.
We all know how we feel about all this unfair and uncalled for changes. I've tried to put as milder as I can(though most of it is copy & paste from Internet sources).
We have to remind them of earlier schemes though I agree that they may or may not know about it. The only possible explanation I can think of is suppose you are a Barrister and you are pleading your case before a judge, now this judge may or may not know what happned in the similar situations thats why Barrister has to quote the earlier cases.

fibreman wrote: However, if it comes to that, we should use past decision in court, and even
decisions by this govt, since nothing was shut "from next day" even now.

I'm sure we can get some kind of deal, yet to see what it will be. If nothing else, I think they don't want proceedings from students, against universities and further, since it is also very costly, and could in theory, if decision went our way, bankrupt some unis. they don't have the money to give it back to us.

Some of us are also in debt because of coming here, so we want our situation resolved.
I wish and hope that situation is resolved ASAP so that we can concentrate on other imp. things in our life.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Ok, yes, I agree... we can deffo use that in court, but lets try not to get to court for the time being.

Court is the last option if we are in front of abyss with no other options. I hope that, for now, we get TA and that's it. this is taking toll on our lives and plans.

Still, being ready is good.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Home Office minister Damian Green talks to Nihal about immigration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b0 ... 27_01_2011

Guys, can you all listen to this and try to make out what Mr. Green is saying about PSW??

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:58 pm

tall_funky wrote:Home Office minister Damian Green talks to Nihal about immigration.

Guys, can you all listen to this and try to make out what Mr. Green is saying about PSW??
damian green tried to downplay things, saying that all thats happened is that a consultation has been underway. no policy change has been announced. the announcement will come 'in the next couple of months' (it better not be before april...im applying for psw in march!) and some of the proposed changes are canceling the policy all together, making it shorter, or restricting it to some types of students. he also said the question of what happens to students who are already in the UK is 'interesting' and that's a main reason for the consultation.

my two cents: it seems like any proposed changes will most likely be for upcoming students. students currently here may be restricted in some way (shorter time period maybe?). i can't see them canceling it effective immediately for all students. i could be wrong, though.
Last edited by jlewisunh on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
tall_funky wrote:Home Office minister Damian Green talks to Nihal about immigration.

damian green tried to downplay things, saying that all thats happened is that a consultation has been underway. no policy change has been announced. the announcement will come 'in the next couple of months' (it better not be before april...im applying for psw in march!) and some of the proposed changes are canceling the policy all together, making it shorter, or restricting it to some types of students.

All in all, nothing new... since rules usually start from april, the changes must be announced soon. In any case, I don't think they will impact those who are finishing right now.

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Anything said bout PSW? Man I finish my Masters in september, I hope they don't scrap it or give transitional arrangements for at least us finishing this year...

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:07 pm

fibreman wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:

damian green tried to downplay things, saying that all thats happened is that a consultation has been underway. no policy change has been announced. the announcement will come 'in the next couple of months' (it better not be before april...im applying for psw in march!) and some of the proposed changes are canceling the policy all together, making it shorter, or restricting it to some types of students.

All in all, nothing new... since rules usually start from april, the changes must be announced soon. In any case, I don't think they will impact those who are finishing right now.
changes will be announces april 5th i thinl

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 pm

One interesting answer I heard from Damian Green is that he said the government is not legally obliged to give PSW to students already in the UK. However, he did not seem to be very confident to say so. He also mentioned that it would be about 'six weeks' before the new policy to be announced. So I expect the government to announce the policy in mid-March.