ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tkp
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by tkp » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:07 am

LRILR2BC wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:44 am
tkp wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:38 am
CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:20 am
My approval letter was sent via post printed on 10th Nov, it does not state any 12 week wait and so does @Nature11 as above who was sent approval by post on 19th Nov. We only got our approvals by post after we received a survey online but no decision via email. We made enquiry and decision was sent via post. This is a possibility our decisions were made earlier but not pushed, hence no 12 weeks wait mentioned. Maybe.
I received approval letter by email on 19th Nov (I applied on 23rd Aug). I haven't receive any survey yet. And there is no mention about 12 weeks wait. The letter just said:

"due to the changing restrictions and guidance relating to COVID-19, it is not possible at this time to advise when your certificate will be despatched. We will update or website with any new information, in particular in relation to the time it might take to despatch certificates." Do you have these sentences in your letter, @CULLINAN?

My letter says this also - can I ask if you have a number for the "Your REF" part of your letter (top right) or does it also say "Your Ref" twice
I have no number in "Your Ref" and it appears only once. In detail, this is on my letter:
Our Ref xxxx
Your Ref
Date 19 November 2020

LRILR2BC
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by LRILR2BC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 am

tkp wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:07 am
LRILR2BC wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:44 am
tkp wrote:
CULLINAN wrote:
My approval letter was sent via post printed on 10th Nov, it does not state any 12 week wait and so does @Nature11 as above who was sent approval by post on 19th Nov. We only got our approvals by post after we received a survey online but no decision via email. We made enquiry and decision was sent via post. This is a possibility our decisions were made earlier but not pushed, hence no 12 weeks wait mentioned. Maybe.
I received approval letter by email on 19th Nov (I applied on 23rd Aug). I haven't receive any survey yet. And there is no mention about 12 weeks wait. The letter just said:

"due to the changing restrictions and guidance relating to COVID-19, it is not possible at this time to advise when your certificate will be despatched. We will update or website with any new information, in particular in relation to the time it might take to despatch certificates." Do you have these sentences in your letter, @CULLINAN?

My letter says this also - can I ask if you have a number for the "Your REF" part of your letter (top right) or does it also say "Your Ref" twice
I have no number in "Your Ref" and it appears only once. In detail, this is on my letter:
Our Ref xxxx
Your Ref
Date 19 November 2020
Thanks! :D

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:03 am

tkp wrote:
CULLINAN wrote:

Yes
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:04 am

LRILR2BC wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:35 am
Hi everyone! Cullinan you have been so great in the appointment thread Im glad to see you have got your acceptance.
Thank you.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Euge
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Euge » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:14 am

Applied: 25 /7/2020
UKVCAS: 5/8/2020
Approval: 14/8/2020 by email on my solicitor email.
Invitation: letter arrive on my solicitor address on 17 /11/2020 date letter 7/11/2020.
Ceremony: booked on 2/12/2020 ceremony inside the council.
Council: Tower Hamlet

I didn’t expect the invitation letter could be arrived on my solicitor address..
Another important thing the approval letter has a different code to the invitation letter ,and without this second code was impossible book an appointment.
Tower Hamlets book the ceremony automatically after I sent the invitation code on my letter by email .Was impossible call .
I hope I gave you a better understanding about the situation.
Good luck to everyone

toombs
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Post by toombs » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:57 am

Finally!!
Called Bristol council today and they received my certificate. Approval date 19th of August. I was offered a public ceremony for 2nd of February but booked private one for 1st of December.No invitation letter needed just a proof of ID and approval decision, as long as council receives the certificate.

Tina22london
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Tina22london » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Gioldn wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:36 pm
I have finally received my invitation letter already 1 week ago.. approval august 6th Wandsworth council
I emailed them twice as apparently you can only try book via email.. no answer yet:( obviously you don’t have to attend to book within the 21 days stated on the letter ?
Good Morning Everyone,

Were anyone able to book a Private Ceremony recently with Westminster Council? Their website says they will continue to do Private Ceremonies, but when I try to book it takes me a page which says ceremonies are not available and that I need to call them.

I called many times but it is impossible to get through to the registerer.

Can you please share your experience and explain how you managed to book your ceremony with Westminster?

Many thanks & good luck to everyone!
[/quote]

Good luck to everyone still waiting for their invitation letter. I just received mine on Monday with an August 14 approval date.

Called Westminster twice now and got two very different responses. Once that I would receive a date within the next 3 days and one that I need to recheck online. Anyone else have any luck with this?

Mo6193
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Mo6193 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Has anybody contacted home office covid helpline phone regarding delay in invitation letter. How long it takes for them to reply?

tauqeer81
India

Post by tauqeer81 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Dreams101 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:09 pm
tauqeer81 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:13 pm
Dreams101 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:18 pm
tauqeer81 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Hi
I wrote them on 18 Sept (repeated the same email on 11 Nov) and they got back to me on 17th Nov. They replied to my 18 Sept Email.
Thank you. Were you offered a virtual or face-to-face ceremony at Coventry?

Virtual (microsoft Team) ceremony. Luckily I got a slot for tomorrow.
Great. Good luck. Wish you all the best
Thank you. Ceremony completed today and also got the certificate. Coventry city is doing ceremony every day and distributing certificates on every Friday. It was very nice experience. Thanks everyone who contributed in this forum. Some users like baybar1 and cullinan are exceptionally good. I want to thank every single person. Good luck to all of you. May Allah bring happiness in your life.

nnn15
United Kingdom

Post by nnn15 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Mo6193 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:36 pm
Has anybody contacted home office covid helpline phone regarding delay in invitation letter. How long it takes for them to reply?
I've been waiting for ages now (nearly 7 months). First called the helpline in August after 4 months wait, have been calling them at least once a month since. No response. But it looks like I'm particularly unlucky, a lot of other members got their letters much sooner.

minikube
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by minikube » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:02 pm

I am end of May approval as well, still waiting for the letter to come. I can feel your struggle.

Pimsalma
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by Pimsalma » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 pm

tkp wrote:
CULLINAN wrote:

After reading your letter, it make sense if the invitation takes longer than 12 weeks, hence they haven’t given you the time scale.
I might be wrong, and I really hope I am wrong as I know how frustrating can be waiting for it.

Good luck

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Pimsalma wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 pm
After reading your letter, it make sense if the invitation takes longer than 12 weeks, hence they haven’t given you the time scale.
I might be wrong, and I really hope I am wrong as I know how frustrating can be waiting for it.
Good luck
Actually it seems the opposite. The backlog is much subsided since March. Ceremony invitations should pace up than before hence why no mention of “12 week” wait for new recent approvals.

swagill
Newly Registered
Mood:
Brunei

Post by swagill » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:07 pm

Hello everyone !

anyone recently attended the citizenship ceremony in waltham forest council? I got my approval letter via email on 5th Oct but I have not received invitation letter so far. I was expecting it this week.

I guess waltham forest council is not doing ceremonies at all since April!

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:50 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
I think different caseworkers from different departments choose different wordings.
Also some still use emails until today, some send them by post.

I assume it won’t take full 12 weeks anymore, as a big part is cleared by now.
Also I can imagine they rather like to keep it vague as the 12 weeks (end of October promise) didn’t went too well and they receive a huge amounts of calls and emails of people complaining why they didn’t received an invitation as promised.

JETK
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JETK » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:25 am

Hello everyone, I have been silent reader on this forum for few weeks. I was approved end of August and since than waiting for invitation letter. Last week I emailed CT casework team chasing for letter and they replied as below:

“Thank you for your email. Your application currently awaiting the outcome of external checks and you should hear from us shortly.

Your sincerely
Xxxxx”

This is confusing me now as what do they mean by “external checks” and why are they doing external checks after sending approval letter? Where do I stand in terms of citizenship now? Can someone advise please.

Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:40 am

JETK wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:25 am
Hello everyone, I have been silent reader on this forum for few weeks. I was approved end of August and since than waiting for invitation letter. Last week I emailed CT casework team chasing for letter and they replied as below:

“Thank you for your email. Your application currently awaiting the outcome of external checks and you should hear from us shortly.

Your sincerely
Xxxxx”

This is confusing me now as what do they mean by “external checks” and why are they doing external checks after sending approval letter? Where do I stand in terms of citizenship now? Can someone advise please.

Thank you
You received your approval letter by email and now waiting for the ceremony invitation?
Sounds like an automated email many applicants have received at various stages waiting for approval.
I would reply to the email pointing out you are already approved.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JETK
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JETK » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:46 am

Thank you alterhase58. Yes I replied back to email asking to clarify what do they mean. As when I sent them first chasing email I did mentioned that I was approved in august and awaiting ceremony letter. Yet they sent me this reply. It’s worrying now.

Thank you

JETK
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JETK » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:48 am

Yes. I was approved via email (they attached approval letter as PDF). And now awaiting invitation letter for ceremony.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:55 am

JETK wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:48 am
Yes. I was approved via email (they attached approval letter as PDF). And now awaiting invitation letter for ceremony.
I would say "don't worry" about the "external checks" they wouldn't have approved you if they didn't completed those.
Have you checked with your council whether they have your certificate - some allow you to come along without an invitation letters, others send their own invitations.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JETK
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JETK » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:02 pm

Yes I checked with council few times in the past and they advised me as below on 4th of November

There is a long delay at the Home Office, they are saying it could be up to 12 weeks.

The next letter you will receive from them will be an invitation letter and once you have received your invitation letter, it means we have your certificate here at City Register office and we are ready for you to book a ceremony, so as soon as that letter arrives please email in again.

Best regards
Xxxxx

I will send them another email asking if they have received my certificate.

toombs
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Post by toombs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:15 pm

JETK wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:25 am
Hello everyone, I have been a silent reader on this forum for a few weeks. I was approved end of August and since then waiting for the invitation letter. Last week I emailed CT casework team chasing for letter and they replied as below:

Yours sincerely
Xxxxx”

This is confusing me now as what do they mean by “external checks” and why are they doing external checks after sending approval letter? Where do I stand in terms of citizenship now? Can someone advise, please?

Thank you
Hi.
if Your application was accepted, I can't see any other reasons to do external checks. I think its an automatic email. Maybe You should try" Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk."I think it's 20 days waiting period for an answer but You will get more chance to get in touch with a real person, rather than a machine. I sent the message on Friday to Homme Office and called the Council the same day, and there it is!!. My certificate was there already. Lady asked me to book the ceremony which I did for the 1st od December, no invitation letter needed proof of id and approval decision. I'm August approval too. Also, try to contact your council.

JETK
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JETK » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:31 pm

Yes I will email citizenship support. I think I will contact my council again in case if they have anymore update since 4th November.
Thank you Toombs

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:35 pm

JETK wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:31 pm
Yes I will email citizenship support. I think I will contact my council again in case if they have anymore update since 4th November.
Thank you Toombs
I think the email was sent in error. However, there was another case reported where first HO sent an approval via email- then sent another email saying the approval was sent in error and application is in process. No one can really figure out what HO is up to unless you get a clarification from their end or get the ceremony invitation letter. Hope you can avoid the unnecessary headache.

fandorin
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by fandorin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:24 pm

I've been a silent reader of the forum for months. I'm finally one step closer to the British citizenship. I've just received my invitation letter from HO today.

Applied: 03/08/2020
UKVCAS: 27/08/2020
Approval: 16/09/2020 by email
Invitation: 21/11/2020 (date on letter 16/11/2020)
Ceremony: I'll call to the council on Monday. There is no online booking system
Council: Reading