ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sp84

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Post by sp84 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:56 pm

magicmus wrote:It doesn't seem to say anywhere an official processing time or does it and I'm just missing it? I'm currently waiting on my Irish passport which I'm expecting in next 10 days or so then I am going to apply for the Irish passport card and send that as proof of my Irish citizenship for renunciation of british. I was hoping to apply for the eea family permit at end of June but rn takes 6 months we won't be able too
It doesn't say anything about the processing time on the website from what I remember reading. When I sent in the RN form - I got an email from the Home Office stating "It may take up to six months to make a decision on your case. If we are unable to process your application within six months we will tell you as soon as possible." Some people have gotten theirs back after 4.5 months and others have had to wait the entire 6 months. Very hit or miss it seems.

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:45 pm

sp84 wrote:
It doesn't say anything about the processing time on the website from what I remember reading. When I sent in the RN form - I got an email from the Home Office stating "It may take up to six months to make a decision on your case. If we are unable to process your application within six months we will tell you as soon as possible." Some people have gotten theirs back after 4.5 months and others have had to wait the entire 6 months. Very hit or miss it seems.

Everything seems to be a waiting game. Knowing my luck il have to wait the full 6 months!

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:39 pm

BCarter wrote: Truly I am pleased for you and hope you can proceed soon, I will be aiming to complete the visa application by this weekend and forward the supporting documents by monday via an express tracked method. Please let me know how you get on and hopefully we can assist each other in the process! :D

Also Louise if you read this I hope things with your husband have improved and that you can work things out
Hi BC,

How are you getting on? Can you tell me, did you send your original RN renunciation and letter of confirmation from the Home Office, or did you send copies?

tigerram

Post by tigerram » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:41 pm

I would suggest that anyone applying for the renunciation should be prepared to wait over six months, based upon my experiences.

My wife in the Philippines today went to collect her documents, as she was informed that they had been 'processed' by the Embassy. Cutting it short, she was given a rejection letter with them, on the grounds of:

...you have failed to provide any evidence of contact from when your relationship began, up to the present time. You have submitted your marriage certificate but provided no photos of the event or photos of any other occasions. I am not satisfied that this marriage was not a marriage of convenience...and from the evidence and statements you have made to me, I am not satisfied that there is a continuing and meaningful relationship with your sponsor in marriage. I am satisfied that you are party to a marriage of convenience and are therefore not the family member of an EEA national in accordance with Regulation 7 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006.
... It is reasonable for Member States to be satisfied that EU citizens have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State. Your sponsor has provided x payslips showing earnings of x GBP during December 2015. You have shown no evidence of savings or available funds in your or your sponsor’s name. From the information provided I do not consider that you have adequate funds available to you, to support yourself in the UK without becoming a burden on the social assistance system. Furthermore sufficient resources also includes comprehensive sickness insurance, you have not provided evidence of this. ...
I therefore refuse your EEA Family Permit application because I am not satisfied that you meet all of the requirements of regulation 7 & 13 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations of 2006. [/i]

Ours is not a marriage of convenience at all (what is convenient about all of this ?!?). and I do have sufficient resources to support my wife - just a shade under the 18,600 magic number. My wife is pretty insulted by the letter. We submitted more than the documentation we believed we had to. We did not submit photos etc. because the website didn't say to, and we didn't think they were necessary for our type of application (British national to non EEA spouse being a different story)

I think they have interpreted me as being British and have forgotten all about Singh etc. Any ideas everyone? Please help if you can.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:23 pm

Wow tigeraam! That's ridiculous! Maybe photographs etc might help - showing that you have been "together" for a lot longer than the date that is on your marriage certificate. I know that when I was applying for my green card here in the USA, I had to provide proof that we were in a legitimate relationship, and that I had not just arrived in the US and got married (marriage of convenience like you said). I mainly used photographs and plane tickets for that ... I know it is not exactly the same as the EEA permit you are looking for, but it might prove that it isn't a marriage of convenience.

In relation to the earnings (I may be wrong here, as I am only on the stage of waiting on renunciation coming through) - but, in an older thread, I remember chaoclive and another poster - discussing that through the EEA permit application, there is no need to disclose any of that information? Again, I am not sure about this, but I was also under the impression that my current earnings, savings etc - do not impact the EEA permit. Let us know how it goes!

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:08 pm

sp84 wrote:Wow tigeraam! That's ridiculous! Maybe photographs etc might help - showing that you have been "together" for a lot longer than the date that is on your marriage certificate. I know that when I was applying for my green card here in the USA, I had to provide proof that we were in a legitimate relationship, and that I had not just arrived in the US and got married (marriage of convenience like you said). I mainly used photographs and plane tickets for that ... I know it is not exactly the same as the EEA permit you are looking for, but it might prove that it isn't a marriage of convenience.

In relation to the earnings (I may be wrong here, as I am only on the stage of waiting on renunciation coming through) - but, in an older thread, I remember chaoclive and another poster - discussing that through the EEA permit application, there is no need to disclose any of that information? Again, I am not sure about this, but I was also under the impression that my current earnings, savings etc - do not impact the EEA permit. Let us know how it goes!

Wow... so things are just as "messy" with the EEA permit as well, never mind the RN!
My RN took just shy of 6 months - that was when i received it. (they had processed it the month before, I can probably blame the postal system on this!)
Everyone who is waiting, please make no plans on when you think it should be done and when you will be where you want to be... it is the most frustrating thing to plan and then have it be completely out of your control. We were supposed to leave South Africa last year August....

sp84 - I haven't started with the process for the EEA permit as yet. We are waiting for my parents house to sell. We were going separately to my family, however - some woman decided to take us for a ride and steal our car! So there goes our accommodation money and we have nowhere else to lodge. Even sadder, we know who the woman is but the police won't help. Go figure third world country.. So we have not been in the best of spirits these last 6 months or so... Not only an on going struggle with the UK paperwork but also with the South African government..

So sorry to hear that they rejected your application tigeraam! that must have been a big shock. :( I have had a lot of communication with a company in the UK -Philip Gamble & Associates, who have given us alot of advice. They did mention the photos and having to prove that you have been together etc etc. As well as any other proof you can supply. They did however say that you didn't need a large sum of money in your account, just enough to support yourself (nowhere near the 18,600 mark), so in theory it shouldn't impact this? The fact that you have that amount should put you in good stead.. we have nowhere near that!
We were told the sickness insurance wasn't an issue as well.
I will email and find out what they say about all this, if you don't mind me using your text tigerram? Please let me know then I can post what they say so we all have some clarification.

Perhaps they were just trying to 'back up' the 'you didn't send photos' with the rest of the problems they apparently found...

What are you going to do now? Reapply? If you would like help and some advice, I would suggest the company above, they are pricey if you need them to do something for you (Well from my side as the R is terrible) but they are extremely helpful and will give you all the advice you ask for without charging you for every word..

sp84

Post by sp84 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:28 pm

Thank you Lisa!! Nice to hear from you! So sorry to hear about the issues you are having in South Africa :( that is the last thing you need - on top of all the RN, EEA worry. I am hoping that if they process mine after 4.5 months, that the US postal service doesn't take 6 weeks to get it to me!

Just going from other threads, I was also under the understanding that the EU national is allowed to live in the UK for 3 months without working - therefore your income, savings etc should not have any impact on the issuing of the permit (at least I hope so!!).

Regarding the comprehensive sickness insurance - I was told from an immigration solicitor back in the UK, that with the EEA permit, my wife and I could arrive back in the UK (we are both here in the USA)- and be eligible to use the NHS from day 1, so I don't see why you would need it ... Unless after the 3 months of being in the UK you exercise your treaty rights by being "self employed" or "self sufficient" ... I could be WAAAYYYY off, but I hope not - as this is my understanding up to now.

Tigeraam, just to back up what Lisa said, and to elaborate on what I said earlier. When my wife and I got married here in the US - we had a long distance relationship for 4 years. So all we could do to show that it was not a marriage of convenience was have photographs of trips we have taken together and plane tickets with both our names on it. That was enough for Homeland security here in the states ... It goes without saying that it is kind of hard to have joint bank accounts etc when in a long distance relationship.

On a side note, I just realised how to subscribe to a post - so thankfully I will get an email notification, rather than having to hit refresh every 5 mins! Its the small victories that matter haha!

Hope everyone is well!

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:21 pm

tigerram wrote: My wife in the Philippines today went to collect her documents, as she was informed that they had been 'processed' by the Embassy. Cutting it short, she was given a rejection letter with them, on the grounds of:

I am satisfied that you are party to a marriage of convenience and are therefore not the family member of an EEA national in accordance with Regulation 7 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006.
... It is reasonable for Member States to be satisfied that EU citizens have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State. Your sponsor has provided x payslips showing earnings of x GBP during December 2015. You have shown no evidence of savings or available funds in your or your sponsor’s name. From the information provided I do not consider that you have adequate funds available to you, to support yourself in the UK without becoming a burden on the social assistance system. Furthermore sufficient resources also includes comprehensive sickness insurance, you have not provided evidence of this. ...
I therefore refuse your EEA Family Permit application because I am not satisfied that you meet all of the requirements of regulation 7 & 13 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations of 2006. [/i]

Ours is not a marriage of convenience at all (what is convenient about all of this ?!?). and I do have sufficient resources to support my wife - just a shade under the 18,600 magic number. My wife is pretty insulted by the letter. We submitted more than the documentation we believed we had to. We did not submit photos etc. because the website didn't say to, and we didn't think they were necessary for our type of application (British national to non EEA spouse being a different story)

I think they have interpreted me as being British and have forgotten all about Singh etc. Any ideas everyone? Please help if you can.
This is a strange reply: while a member state certainly does have the right to refuse an EEA family permit if they believe it is a marriage of convenience, as I understood it, they do not have the right to reject an application on financial earnings as with the UK settlement visa; this is starnge unless the law has changed? Do you plan on appealing the decision?

Bannoi
Newly Registered

Post by Bannoi » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:52 am

Hi Everybody,

This is my first post as I have just registered.

I have been following this thread for some time now so just on the off chance it's of use to anyone else I'll tell of my own situation and experiences.

I am married a Thai lady we have three children (all boys) aged 5, 4, and 2 all three have both Thai and British passports.

I was born in England my father is English my mother is from Northern Ireland I hold both British and Irish passports.

At the moment I am living in England with my 4 and 5 year old boys where they both go to school and my wife is in Thailand with our 2 year old boy.

My wife cant get a settlement visa for the UK because even though she can speak some English at least enough to get by on she cant pass the new English test despite going to a language school in Thailand.

So after making enquiries and doing some research on the Internet I decided to go the same route as many on this thread relinquish my British Citizenship and take the EEA FP route.

When we're all together it's my intention to move to Northern Ireland then after three years after my wife gets Irish citizenship possibly move the the Republic of Ireland.

I feel disgusted with the way we are being treated by Teresa May and the government and it makes me ashamed to be British so losing British citizenship is no loss as far as I am concerned.

I sent the form to relinquish citizenship on the 15th September 2015 the cheque was cashed and I received an email telling me it was being processed.

On the 13th December 2015 I sent an email to furthernationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

“Would you please update me on the progress of my citizenship renunciation and if at all possible expedite my application."

I then immediately received an automated reply informing me it could take 20 days to receive a reply to my email.

Yesterday 15th January 2016 I sent an email to complaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk,

"Dear Sirs,

Re; Case ID: xxxxxxxx

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 10:58 AM I sent an email to FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

“Would you please update me on the progress of my citizenship renunciation and if at all possible expedite my application.

Thank you,"

I received an automated response confirming receipt of my email,

“Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 10:58 AM
Thank you for your email to the Further Nationality Enquiries mailbox. Our service standard for responding to your email is 20 working days. Every effort will be made to deal with your enquiry within this timescale and we respectfully request that you do not chase your enquiry within this time.”

A reply is now considerably overdue.

Renouncing my British Citizenship is not something I have undertaken lightly.

I posted my renunciation to you on 15th September 2015 and it was received by you on 16th September 2015.

It is now four months since you received it, although I received an automated response by email acknowledging receipt and informing me it could take up to six month to make a decision on my case it was clearly just a standard one size fits all response.

I can fully understand it could take six months to process if someone was applying for citizenship because of all the checks possible investigations you have to carry out (at least I hope you do) but not the other way round.

I have dual nationality and am renouncing my British Citizenship please expedite my application with all expediency.

Respectfully yours,

Again I received an automated response informing me it could take up to 20 days to receive a reply.

I shall update this thread as and when there are any further developments.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:02 pm

Hey Bannoi,

Sorry to hear that you and your wife are having to be apart :( ... Let us know what response you get from the Home Office, if any! You have probably seen people post that the wait time seems to be 4.5 - 6 months ... I think they are operating on a first come, first served basis.

Like you, my case is pretty cut and dry - it really should take someone about 5 minutes to read and stamp the form. I know that this time last year, the wait time was around 3 months - they may be dragging their heels intentionally now, be under-staffed - or it is more than likely a mix of different several factors.

Welcome to the boards and keep us posted :)

tigerram

Post by tigerram » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:09 am

White Emerald wrote:
This is a strange reply: while a member state certainly does have the right to refuse an EEA family permit if they believe it is a marriage of convenience, as I understood it, they do not have the right to reject an application on financial earnings as with the UK settlement visa; this is starnge unless the law has changed? Do you plan on appealing the decision?
It is a very strange reply. I think they have looked at the case and decided Section 13 applies. It is clear that, given everything, Section 14 or 15 should apply, as I have been in the UK for longer than three months, thus all the financial information is not required.

Appealing is a waste of time; it could take over two months. We are just making a fresh application, and I am getting help to ensure they cannot decline it this time. We shall resubmit when we are fully confident in what we are doing.

Bannoi - I am sorry to read about your families' situation. It puts our situation into perspective! I hope your family can be together soon. But you are wasting your time if you think you can have any reasonable correspondence with them until those six months are up. You are dealing with the unaccountable here, and their six month rule seems to be their main theme for dealing with people.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:05 am

sp84 wrote:Thank you Lisa!! Nice to hear from you! So sorry to hear about the issues you are having in South Africa :( that is the last thing you need - on top of all the RN, EEA worry. I am hoping that if they process mine after 4.5 months, that the US postal service doesn't take 6 weeks to get it to me!

Just going from other threads, I was also under the understanding that the EU national is allowed to live in the UK for 3 months without working - therefore your income, savings etc should not have any impact on the issuing of the permit (at least I hope so!!).

Regarding the comprehensive sickness insurance - I was told from an immigration solicitor back in the UK, that with the EEA permit, my wife and I could arrive back in the UK (we are both here in the USA)- and be eligible to use the NHS from day 1, so I don't see why you would need it ... Unless after the 3 months of being in the UK you exercise your treaty rights by being "self employed" or "self sufficient" ... I could be WAAAYYYY off, but I hope not - as this is my understanding up to now.

Tigeraam, just to back up what Lisa said, and to elaborate on what I said earlier. When my wife and I got married here in the US - we had a long distance relationship for 4 years. So all we could do to show that it was not a marriage of convenience was have photographs of trips we have taken together and plane tickets with both our names on it. That was enough for Homeland security here in the states ... It goes without saying that it is kind of hard to have joint bank accounts etc when in a long distance relationship.

On a side note, I just realised how to subscribe to a post - so thankfully I will get an email notification, rather than having to hit refresh every 5 mins! Its the small victories that matter haha!

Hope everyone is well!
Hi sp48,

Thanks for that! and yes, it is a huge struggle at the moment, especially with the state of the country and the ability to get jobs for people of certain race... but we won't go into that! hehe...

I have emailed the company that has helped me in the past to get some clarification on the health insurance and showing of savings etc. So I will update as soon as I get an answer.

Bannoi, welcome to the board! Like the others said, I think its best just to come to terms with the idea that you could be waiting for the 6 months. It is a terrible situation your family is in! I couldn't imagine being away from my family..unfortunately, from things I have been reading lately, the government doesn't have a huge amount of "compassion" when it comes to cases regarding family, and the elderly,.

Tiggeram, I hope things go smoothly with your next application! Are you going through a company for this? I'm just curious as to what fees other places are charging to help with the application. If you don't mind me asking!

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:56 pm

Hey all,

So... I'm trying to apply for the family permit... already stuck at the first step! haha

When you do the online application, and need to enter details, it then asks you what kind of Visa you need, do you chose settlement? then settlement again? then the sub-category do you chose marriage? Or are you supposed to chose husband (my husband is applying)?

Hoping to get it sorted ASAP as we have the opportunity to move in March. So here's praying!

Did anyone have to go for an interview?

Thanks!! :) Hope everyone is well!

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 am

Hi again!!

I figured out what to do and how to get to the EEA family permit application.. You chose "Other". I am applying online, I'm not sure what you do from the UK side...

One question though, it asks for this - "What is the EEA National Registration Certificate number for the EEA National?" did anyone fill this in and what did you put?

I don't have one of these.. I see you can apply for one but is it necessary? :?

Bannoi
Newly Registered

Post by Bannoi » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:36 am

Hi All,

A special thanks to sp84, tigerram & Lissa6 for the welcome.

I have now received a reply (22 January 2016) to the email I sent to Further Nationality Enquiries on 13 December 2015 that's nearly 6 weeks just to reply to an email :evil:

I would of expected the Home Office to at least employ people that know how to spell British English acknowledgement and not use the American miss spelling of acknowledgment.

Thank you for your email correspondence of 13 December regarding the progress of your application.

You should receive an acknowledgment letter between four to six weeks after we received your application. During busy periods this may even take seven weeks. If you have not received such a letter, please contact us for a duplicate acknowledgment letter.

Unfortunately we can only confirm that currently the application is ongoing as it has not yet reached the six month stage of consideration. We will contact you as soon as a decision has been made or if we require further information.

Our service standard is that we will complete 100% of cases within six months. Where further information is required the case may take longer to decide.

The reply is nothing less than I expected.

I will give the complaints department a bit more time to reply to my email then if still no satisfaction start complaining to my MP, Teresa May ( IMO the worst Home Secretary I have seen in my lifetime) David Cameron, Jeremy Corbyn, Tim Farron, Nicola Sturgeon and anyone else I happen to think of.

I doubt it will do any good but it will at least waste their time or the secretary's they employ I don't feel the Home Office taking 6 weeks just to reply to an email or 6 months just to process my renunciation is good enough and needs rectifying.

OK Rant over :)

Best of luck Lissa hope you get it soon.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Happy Monday folks!

I never received any emails telling me that there had been posts in the thread over the weekend.

Thanks for letting us know the response to the email you sent Bannoi. I am fully expecting my application to take the entire 6 months. I resigned myself to that as soon as I applied - so if I hear anything earlier than that, then great. So in their email they said you should receive a letter in the post after 4-6 weeks? Lisa did you receive one of these? So far with me, I have only received the confirmation email with my case number. I have had no other correspondence.

Lisa! I have no idea of the different steps involved in applying for the EEA permit - just purely because I have not gotten to that stage yet :( wish I could be of more help. Please let me know how you get on and if you manage to figure it out. Also, did you manage to hear back from the immigration company that you emailed, regarding disclosing financial information/savings etc on your permit application?

On a side note - I don't know how many of you have seen this

A case has been taken to the Supreme Court relating to the Government's 18k financial threshold - to determine if it is legal or not. Ironically it takes place a few days after the next EU council meeting (during which I hope they do not reach an agreement and have to extend their negotiations!) It is just the hearing and an actual result may not be heard for many months. This doesn't really change my situation (or any of yours I am sure) - but just thought I would throw it out there.

Bannoi
Newly Registered

Post by Bannoi » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:47 am

Further update I have now received another email from Further Citizenship Enquiries,

Dated 25/01/2016
"Thank you for your email. I can confirm that your application is in the process and that decisions on applications are usually made within six months.

We will endeavour to conclude your application at the earliest opportunity and we will write to you again as soon as the necessary checks are complete. Please be assured that, as soon as we are in a position to reach a decision, you will be notified accordingly.

Regards

Central Correspondence Team
Customer Service Operations
UK Visa & Immigration "

This email is a bit more encouraging hopefully it wont take too long now it's been 4.5 months already.

I was thinking about making a freedom of information act request when I received this email

1 - How long is the average time for processing citizenship renunciations.
2 - How many complaints has the Home Office received regarding the service it provides to the public.

I still feel the level of service provided by the Home office is abysmal perhaps Jeremy Corbyn could ask a question at Prime Ministers questions time. :)

For the time being I will wait a bit longer to see what the outcome is my main priority is to be able to bring my wife and youngest son here to join me and our other 2 sons and enable me to return to work.

Unfortunately the new English test they introduced is too difficult for my wife to pass that is the only reason I am going along this route.

Ironically her English skills and vocabulary would increase exponentially if she were only allowed to come here.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi all!

I also don't always get emails telling me when there has been posts sp! I check periodically...

Aaaanyway, we sent in the EEA family permit application. Praying all goes well, I sent past plane tickets, about 30 photos (it helps that we had a baby in 2014) my husbands tax certificate with all our names on, a letter of confirmation of funds, and a letter from a friend I've known since primary school saying we can stay with them. along with my husbands passports. I was sending mine and my daughters with, however the guy helping us at the immigration offices just took a photocopy and sent it through like that.

We did the bio-metric data, fingerprints, signature, photo etc.

And that was that! We will apparently hear back in 15 working days via email. :)

Just so you all have a bit of information!
The guy behind the counter only asked us a few questions, nothing major.

Hope everyone is doing okay and not stressing too much, all of you waiting for your RN's!

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Lissa6 wrote:Hi all!

I also don't always get emails telling me when there has been posts sp! I check periodically...

Aaaanyway, we sent in the EEA family permit application. Praying all goes well, I sent past plane tickets, about 30 photos (it helps that we had a baby in 2014) my husbands tax certificate with all our names on, a letter of confirmation of funds, and a letter from a friend I've known since primary school saying we can stay with them. along with my husbands passports. I was sending mine and my daughters with, however the guy helping us at the immigration offices just took a photocopy and sent it through like that.

And that was that! We will apparently hear back in 15 working days via email. :)

Just so you all have a bit of information!

Hope everyone is doing okay and not stressing too much, all of you waiting for your RN's!
Brilliant Lisa, good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

Just very quickly - so you did send financial information, savings etc? and where did you do the bio-metric part of the application? I really need to research this part of it - I thought my wife just applied for the permit online. The US is a big place, so I hope we don't have to fly to a different city to carry some of this out.

I am about to start my 3rd month for the RN form. Tick tock!

Thanks!

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:29 pm

sp84 wrote:

Just so you all have a bit of information! ]

Hi sp,

Just very quickly - so you did send financial information, savings etc? and where did you do the bio-metric part of the application? I really need to research this part of it - I thought my wife just applied for the permit online. The US is a big place, so I hope we don't have to fly to a different city to carry some of this out.

Thanks!
Hi sp,

No we didn't send any information on savings etc. Our trip is being funded by someone so we had a letter from them stating how much they are giving us etc. From the people I've spoken to at Philip Gamble, we were told that no financial evidence was needed (for our case of course, as the lady mentioned each case is different and there are many different factors that are taken into consideration etc).

You can go onto the https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk - from there you create an account in your wifes name and then you complete the form. You then have to print it. We then had to make an appointment online at the - https://uk.tlscontact.com ... (I just checked and didn't see the US on the list. So I'm not to sure if they use a different company? ...)
The form was pretty self explanatory, some of it was a bit difficult to answer and they asked the same question quite a few times. I would think though when you put in the USA that they will tell you who to contact next..

We had to go at a specific time (you can chose date and time) and then take all our documents, sat with a guy who took all our paper work and put it together in a courier bag (they were very "on the ball" we were impressed) and then they have the bio-metric part in another part of the office.

I would assume that they have a similar setup for all their offices internationally! But you never know. The tlscontact is the company that the UK immigration & Visa use now it seems all over the world. (We no longer have a British Consulate that we can go to in SA).

Hope that helps!

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Lissa6 wrote:
sp84 wrote:

Just so you all have a bit of information! ]

Hi sp,

Thanks!
Hi sp,

No we didn't send any information on savings etc. Our trip is being funded by someone so we had a letter from them stating how much they are giving us etc. From the people I've spoken to at Philip Gamble, we were told that no financial evidence was needed (for our case of course, as the lady mentioned each case is different and there are many different factors that are taken into consideration etc).

You can go onto the https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk - from there you create an account in your wifes name and then you complete the form. You then have to print it. We then had to make an appointment online at the - https://uk.tlscontact.com ... (I just checked and didn't see the US on the list. So I'm not to sure if they use a different company? ...)
The form was pretty self explanatory, some of it was a bit difficult to answer and they asked the same question quite a few times. I would think though when you put in the USA that they will tell you who to contact next..

We had to go at a specific time (you can chose date and time) and then take all our documents, sat with a guy who took all our paper work and put it together in a courier bag (they were very "on the ball" we were impressed) and then they have the bio-metric part in another part of the office.

I would assume that they have a similar setup for all their offices internationally! But you never know. The tlscontact is the company that the UK immigration & Visa use now it seems all over the world. (We no longer have a British Consulate that we can go to in SA).

Hope that helps!
Lisa you are a star! Thank you very much! I know I am a few months away from this, but it will be good to be prepared so that I can sort the process as soon as possible. A solicitor that I spoke to had mentioned (to his knowledge) that the US offices were based in New York. I bloody hope not, as that is the other side of the country and it is not cheap to fly there. I am hoping there is one in Los Angeles we can maybe drive to.

I hope your application goes through first time of asking!!

Just curious - where in the UK is it that you are moving too? England?

Thank you!

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Hey,

Well I hope you find a closer office. The original one was a 3hr plane ride and also not so cheap! So we are so happy that they did things this way with the applications. It makes things a lot easier. Maybe some Googling will help.
Otherwise i remember a portion on the gov.uk website that you can check where you would have to go apply. Will see if I can find it.. I came across it when I was Googling everything! haha.

We are moving to Herefordshire in the West Midlands in the beginning anyway. :) Where are you heading?

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Lissa6 wrote:Hey,

Well I hope you find a closer office. The original one was a 3hr plane ride and also not so cheap! So we are so happy that they did things this way with the applications. It makes things a lot easier. Maybe some Googling will help.
Otherwise i remember a portion on the gov.uk website that you can check where you would have to go apply. Will see if I can find it.. I came across it when I was Googling everything! haha.

We are moving to Herefordshire in the West Midlands in the beginning anyway. :) Where are you heading?
Brilliant Lisa thank you! I actually thought the whole entire thing was completed online, silly me haha!

The plan for us is to move back to Belfast, Northern Ireland. That is where I am from. Long term though, who knows. Depends on work etc I would like to stay in Ireland for at least 3 years, that way my wife can get herself an Irish passport - which as long as things don't change with the Irish in the UK, we would be free of immigration restrictions/dealings with the Home Office.

Bannoi
Newly Registered

Post by Bannoi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:52 am

sp84 wrote:The plan for us is to move back to Belfast, Northern Ireland. That is where I am from. Long term though, who knows. Depends on work etc I would like to stay in Ireland for at least 3 years, that way my wife can get herself an Irish passport - which as long as things don't change with the Irish in the UK, we would be free of immigration restrictions/dealings with the Home Office.
Hi sp84 That's exactly what I'm intending to do I went to live in Belfast with my grandparents when I was 15 served my time in the Ravenhill Road then worked for a company in Dundonald and later moved to Carrickfergus.

Most likely after my wife obtains her Irish Citizenship we will move to the Republic though that would depend on the circumstances at the time.

If my relations in Northern Ireland knew I had renounced my British Citizenship they would be lets say more than displeased.

I suppose growing up in England I don't hold their views and never did.

I am fortunate in that being retired I can live almost anywhere the only priority being a decent school for my boy's.

I'm looking for a decent 3 bedroom house to rent in Northern Ireland at the moment though I will wait until my wife arrives before committing to anything.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Oh yes Sp, I remember you mentioning going to NI before in one of your posts.

We had a look at this option as we have a few family members (my grans brother and sister and their family) in Belfast, however it didn't seem feasible for us.. So we just decided to wait a bit longer and go to the UK. The rest of my family are moving there.

Hope you don't have to wait as long for your RN!