ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:56 pm

s_anda wrote:Hi Gurus,

Could you please advise me on this as I am really worried now. :( ?
In the 'good character' section, do I have to mention that in the past I have been refused a student visa on the basis that the officer was not satisfied that I was genuinely seeking entrance for the purpose stated? The letter also states that the refusal will not prejudice any subsequent applications.

This refusal was back in 2006. I am an A2 national and since then I got married to a British Citizen and also received PR card.

What are your thoughts on that?
Many thanks in advance.
I think that if you didn't break any law, lied, used fake docs, etc.. you dont have to, but not sure

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:41 am

s_anda I would say no, so long as you never practiced deception.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:12 am

D4109125 wrote:s_anda I would say no, so long as you never practiced deception.
exactly, it makes sense; if they didn't break any law, they didn't do anything wrong; if it was refused because it didn't meet the criteria; they didn't do anything wrong.

s_anda
Newly Registered

Post by s_anda » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Derivaz and Amber,
Thanks for your replies. :D

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:15 pm

s_anda wrote:Derivaz and Amber,
I feel like I have become an expert in BC hahahaha

Tahadeel

Post by Tahadeel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:44 am

Hello

I keep saying that my FPN which took place in last Dec 2012 is not through court, but what I'm confused about now after reading a lot in this thread that although I did not go to court it is till could be through the cort!!! I have 3 points on my counterpart, & under the " Convicting Court Code" on counter cort part I have number written by police OR court when I sent my driving licences & and counterpart to be endorsed by 3 points!!!!
Speed limit was 30 while I was driving 47. Police officer stopped me on spot and did not give me the FPN on spot. They sent a letter by post saying I have to pay £60 and accept 3 points!!!
Does that mean the FPN was through court? And if it is I have to wait to Dec 2015????!!!

Please help.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:38 am

Tahadeel Please continue in your other thread.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Did the NCS give you any trouble?

s_anda
Newly Registered

Post by s_anda » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Derivaz wrote:
The NCS in my area had no available appointments before the 25th Oct, so I haven't submitted my application yet.:(

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 am

s_anda wrote:
Derivaz wrote:
The NCS in my area had no available appointments before the 25th Oct, so I haven't submitted my application yet.:(
alright, so you need to take the B1 test then; have you satisfied that before?

Greggio_f
Newly Registered

Paying tax as component of good character

Post by Greggio_f » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:19 am

I changed jobs shortly after moving to the UK and my employer put me on a basic tax code. This resulted in a shortfall in the payment of my PAYE tax for the 2008/2009 tax year.

I had some discussions back and forward with the HMRC where I tried to have them write off some or all of this - partly due to their delays and actions and partly due to this arising from my employer's error.

Anyway, neither worked and I set up a repayment plan with them about 18 months ago. I've made all the payments under that plan and have otherwise paid all my tax - I only have one job, so all my income is subject to PAYE and my tax position's relatively simple.

I'm now about to apply for naturalisation (HSMP -> Tier 1 -> ILR) and was interested in people's thoughts - should I mention it in the application and provide an explanation or not worry about it?

I've not done anything wrong and certainly nothing that would evidence bad character. I also think the situation is regularised by the repayment arrangements I've got with the HMRC. I'm just wondering, though, whether if the UKBA contacts the HMRC and gets anything other than a straightforward answer whether it'll complicate things such that UKBA just finds it simpler to say "no".

Derivaz

Re: Paying tax as component of good character

Post by Derivaz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Greggio_f wrote:I changed jobs shortly after moving to the UK and my employer put me on a basic tax code. This resulted in a shortfall in the payment of my PAYE tax for the 2008/2009 tax year.

I had some discussions back and forward with the HMRC where I tried to have them write off some or all of this - partly due to their delays and actions and partly due to this arising from my employer's error.

Anyway, neither worked and I set up a repayment plan with them about 18 months ago. I've made all the payments under that plan and have otherwise paid all my tax - I only have one job, so all my income is subject to PAYE and my tax position's relatively simple.

I'm now about to apply for naturalisation (HSMP -> Tier 1 -> ILR) and was interested in people's thoughts - should I mention it in the application and provide an explanation or not worry about it?

I've not done anything wrong and certainly nothing that would evidence bad character. I also think the situation is regularised by the repayment arrangements I've got with the HMRC. I'm just wondering, though, whether if the UKBA contacts the HMRC and gets anything other than a straightforward answer whether it'll complicate things such that UKBA just finds it simpler to say "no".
Obviously anything that makes their investigations more complex can delay the application, but there is no much you can do about it; it's the way it is; if the situation is regularised, you should be fine; I don't think you have to report it, but let's see what the gurus think.

s_anda
Newly Registered

Post by s_anda » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Derivaz wrote: alright, so you need to take the B1 test then; have you satisfied that before?
I have a Cambridge First Certificate in English, taken in 2004, which is on the HO list.

Now, I came back with yet another question.. :(
In 2010, after my daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy(on top of many other issues she had) and we were having quite a rough time, I was advised to apply for Income support, which I did and I was refused. As the refusal letter had some wrong info on it, I requested a reconsideration and been refused again.
My question is..would I have to mention that in the "good Character " section? - Do you think they will consider that I was trying to claim a benefit I wasn't entitled to? :cry:

Alimanu
Newly Registered

Re: Paying tax as component of good character

Post by Alimanu » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 am

Greggio_f wrote:I changed jobs shortly after moving to the UK and my employer put me on a basic tax code. This resulted in a shortfall in the payment of my PAYE tax for the 2008/2009 tax year.

Even if you are owning taxes, it is for the HMRC to info you and since you have decided to pay it back... That should be fine and don't mention it, except you are refusing to pay. I was told I underpaid my taxes, I didn't do the calculation myself. Though the money was very small, I had to set up a direct debit. I did applied for naturalisation myself and I got my roughly one month.

HMRC will never say that is a fraud or bad character on your part.

Alimanu
Newly Registered

Post by Alimanu » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:26 am

s_anda wrote:
Derivaz wrote: alright, so you need to take the B1 test then; have you satisfied that before?
I have a Cambridge First Certificate in English, taken in 2004, which is on the HO list.

In 2010, after my daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy(on top of many other issues she had) and we were having quite a rough time, I was advised to apply for Income support, which I did and I was refused. As the refusal letter had some wrong info on it, I requested a reconsideration and been refused again.
My question is..would I have to mention that in the "good Character " section? - Do you think they will consider that I was trying to claim a benefit I wasn't entitled to? :cry:

If you are denied any benefits that doesn't mean you are not entitled to it. Sometimes you have to keep trying till somebody see reason with your case... eg (DLA). I don't think they will take that as a bad character. From the information you have provided, you have not collected any money. I think you should be fine, you do not need to mention it.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 pm

Alimanu wrote:
s_anda wrote:

If you are denied any benefits that doesn't mean you are not entitled to it. Sometimes you have to keep trying till somebody see reason with your case... eg (DLA). I don't think they will take that as a bad character. From the information you have provided, you have not collected any money. I think you should be fine, you do not need to mention it.
Theoretically, if you are denied benefits, I'd say it means you are not entitled to it; except if there is a misunderstanding; however, applying and being refused benefits doesn't mean he/she did anything wrong or illegal; they just applied for something they thought they were entitled to, they weren't so they were refused and that was it they didn't try to f.ake any documents or do anything illegal; I don't see any reason why that would be a sign of bad character at all. I wouldn't worry about that.

s_anda
Newly Registered

Post by s_anda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:38 pm

Derivaz wrote: Theoretically, if you are denied benefits, I'd say it means you are not entitled to it; except if there is a misunderstanding; however, applying and being refused benefits doesn't mean he/she did anything wrong or illegal; they just applied for something they thought they were entitled to, they weren't so they were refused and that was it they didn't try to f.ake any documents or do anything illegal; I don't see any reason why that would be a sign of bad character at all. I wouldn't worry about that.
Thanks Derivaz,
I'm starting to think that I am a bit paranoid now :lol:
I will post my timeline at one point in November :D

suzy101
Newly Registered

Post by suzy101 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Eligibility criteria: 2 years HSMP + 3 years Tier1 + 12 month ILR
Method of application: NCS Poole
Date of application: 23rd September 2013
Date of receipt by UKBA: 24th September 2013
Date of acknowledgement : not received
Date of debit of fees: 02nd Oct 2013
Date of approval: Awaiting
Date of ceremony:Awaiting

I have called and emailed HO for status and they finally confirmed today that a decision was sent out yesterday and have refused to tell me the status. Now am so nervous not sure wot to expect as my application was not so straight forward. I had to declare a CCJ I had last year but was unaware of when I applied for ILR. SO not sure if my application might be rejected. Just so stressed

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Don't fret suzy101 I sense an approval is imminent. :wink:

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:05 pm

s_anda wrote:
Derivaz wrote: Theoretically, if you are denied benefits, I'd say it means you are not entitled to it; except if there is a misunderstanding; however, applying and being refused benefits doesn't mean he/she did anything wrong or illegal; they just applied for something they thought they were entitled to, they weren't so they were refused and that was it they didn't try to f.ake any documents or do anything illegal; I don't see any reason why that would be a sign of bad character at all. I wouldn't worry about that.
Thanks Derivaz,
I'm starting to think that I am a bit paranoid now :lol:
I will post my timeline at one point in November :D
No probs; as long as you follow the rules, you have nothing to fear ;)

good luck

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:14 pm

suzy101 wrote:Eligibility criteria: 2 years HSMP + 3 years Tier1 + 12 month ILR
Date of approval: Awaiting
Date of ceremony:Awaiting

I have called and emailed HO for status and they finally confirmed today that a decision was sent out yesterday and have refused to tell me the status. Now am so nervous not sure wot to expect as my application was not so straight forward. I had to declare a CCJ I had last year but was unaware of when I applied for ILR. SO not sure if my application might be rejected. Just so stressed
You'll soon find out ;)

suzy101
Newly Registered

Post by suzy101 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:43 pm

D4109125 wrote:Don't fret suzy101 I sense an approval is imminent. :wink:

Thank you for the positive comment, Amber. Will wait for the brown envelope.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:51 am

suzy101 wrote:

Thank you for the positive comment, Amber. Will wait for the brown envelope.
Let us know when you get the reply; if the email reply said a decision has been made that probably means it was made 2 or 3 weeks ago, so it must be about to arrive.

suzy101
Newly Registered

Post by suzy101 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:07 am

suzy101 wrote:Eligibility criteria: 2 years HSMP + 3 years Tier1 + 12 month ILR
Date of approval: 30 Oct 2013 received 7 Nov 2013
Date of ceremony:04 Dec 2013

Yaayyy got the brown envelope. thank you all. this is such a great forum.

suzy101
Newly Registered

Post by suzy101 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:08 am

Yes approval was indeed imminent. Thanks.