ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension Approval - Can we post here please!!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alexkutty

Postal Order

Post by alexkutty » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:25 am

Busa,

Not mentioned anywhere, I just stappled it with the front page (payment slip) of application.

MUGHALL
Newly Registered

4 YEARS EXTENSION GRANTED,,CHEERS

Post by MUGHALL » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:35 pm

Dear Forum Members and Moderators:

Thanks to the forum members and moderators for their Valuable Guidance & Suggestions throuh message posted on immigration borads. I have got extension of 4 Years and received my documents along with Stamped Passport today.

Here is the time frame:

Application FLR(IED) sent on 12/6/2006, Special Delivery Post
Acknowledgement Received on 14/6/2006
Passport received with visa stamped on 29/6/2006
Visa stamped on 27/6/2006 and valid till 12/7/2010
Place and date of Issue: WPUK MILTON & 27/6/2006

Document Attached:

The Fee:
• UK Postal Order for £335

Travel Document and Photographs:
• Two Passport-sized Photographs
• Current Passport
• Original HSMP Approval Letter.

Evidence of economic activity and personal earnings:
• Covering Letter & Documents Check List.
• Copy Of Letter Of National Insurance Number.
• Original Counterpart Driving License letter as proof of residence I received at.
• Last Three Months Original TSB Bank Statements.
• Last Two Months Original Pay Slips.
• Employment Offer Letter from the Company.
• "To Whom It May Concern" Letter from my Employer showing my Current Job Status.
• Tanenct Agreement for Two Years.
• Visiting Card of Company as proof of Day Time Contact Number.

Self Employment Documentation:

As I am Self Employed as Sole Trader as well and got registered with HM Revenue & Customs, I also produced following Self Employment Docs:

• "To Whom It May Concern" Letter from the Accountant dealing my Tax Affairs
• Copy of Application Form filed for registering myself as Self Employed with HM Revenue & Customs.
• Original Receipts of National Insurance Contributions paid to Inland Revenue for Self Employment Service.

I also enclosed a Self Addressed Special Delivery Envelope in which I received all my documents back. I hope this information will greatly help all those who are going to apply for extension as an Employee OR Self Employed OR combination of both.

Regard to All Forum Members

MUGHALL

naderyakoub
Newly Registered

Post by naderyakoub » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:12 am

Here is the time frame:

Application FLR(IED) sent on 12/6/2006, Special Delivery Post
Acknowledgement Received on 13/6/2006
Passport received with visa stamped on 30/6/2006 Recorded Royal Mail
Visa stamped on 29/6/2006
Place and date of Issue: WPUK MILTON & 29/6/2006

Thanks for this forum

Junior0300

Fee Processing Delays

Post by Junior0300 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:34 am

Hi All,

I sent my application on the 29 th of June and since then has not recieved any acknowledgement from the Home Office neither the fees has been deducted from my account (Direct Debit).

Home Office s website shows a notice which says there is a delay with the new system. Does anyone know how long it would take...

Junior

durgaprasanth
Newly Registered

Post by durgaprasanth » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Here are my timelines for FLR(IED) application-

15th June - Application sent by RoyalMail Special Delivery
17th June - Application reached Durham (New payment collection office)
22nd June - Credit Card charged
06th July - Received passports with stamped resident permit.

I'm an in-country applicant switching from workpermit to HSMP.

I think there is a delay of 5-10 working days due to the change in payment collection service provider.

busa

Post by busa » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:46 pm

Junior0300, did u try contacting the WP department for the status of your application. Hope you have enough days left on your application. I have sent my application on 03rd July and my visa is expiring on 03rd August :?

I have not recieved any response yet and looks from your mail it will take time :roll:

Ali_UK

Post by Ali_UK » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:07 pm

Guys,

I have sent my application on July 03 and no response from HO yet. No fees is deducted yet. Keep me posted if u have any update

ali

rose99
Newly Registered

Post by rose99 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:45 am

durgaprasanth wrote: I think there is a delay of 5-10 working days due to the change in payment collection service provider.
Hi guys,

do you think this will affect my application for the extension as well? I am asking because I am exempt from payment due to my nationality. What happens in the situation like that? Will my application go straight to processing or will it also be stuck somewhere together with all other applications that are not exempt?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Rose

ansaggart
Newly Registered

Post by ansaggart » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:11 am

Rose99,

Have you havd any joy with it? I am in the same situation just swithcing from WP and I am a bit short of time. Does anyone now if it helps to send a urgent tratment form?

Thanks,

Golauk

Post by Golauk » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:20 am

Friends , I got my HSMP extension which is upto 2010.
The timeline was
Application recd. by HO 29 June 2006
Payment charged 11 July 2006
Ref No. Received 12 July 2006
Passport with visas recd. 14 July 2006

They are now deciding cases very fast 8)

GolaUK
God is Great!

imdabs
Newly Registered

Thanks..

Post by imdabs » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:03 pm

Golauk wrote:Friends , I got my HSMP extension which is upto 2010.
The timeline was
Application recd. by HO 29 June 2006
Payment charged 11 July 2006
Ref No. Received 12 July 2006
Passport with visas recd. 14 July 2006

They are now deciding cases very fast 8)

GolaUK
WOW atleast someone has got good news...
My timeline is
Application recd. by HO 5 July 2006
Payment charged CC 14 July 2006
Ref No. Dated 13 July 2006

And thanks to gola.. i see some hope of a faster answer..

busa

Post by busa » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:29 pm

My application was recieved by HO on 3rd July and i had paid by postal order. I have not recieved my reference number letter but and managed to get my reference number by calling HO. Hopefully the reference number letter arrives before the passport :wink:

Keep updating the processing time so that we can extrapolate the decision time.

busa

Is confirmation letter sent by post OR just an email

Post by busa » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:33 am

I have not recieved my application confirmation letter. Do they send an email OR post the confirmation letter :roll:

maakhi
Newly Registered

Post by maakhi » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:09 am

The reference letter is posted.

I sent the docs by special delivery on 8th. Received on 10th.
Payment deducted by 12th. Letter dispatched dated 14th. Letter received on 17th.
Now waiting for final processing.
The bank did not post the entry till the 16th but I could tell that £335 had been taken off.

Direct Debit is equally okay compared to a Postal Order. At least one is able to know that the process has been started and if no receipt of the reference letter within 5 days or so, have a good reason to make a follow up phone call to obtain the reference number.

Cheers

Ali_UK

Post by Ali_UK » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:09 pm

I got my docuemts back. Here is the timeline

Application Type: HSMP Extension
Application Sent: July 03, 2006
Received by HO: July 04, 2006
Payment Deducted: July 12, 2006
Acknowledgement Received: July 14, 2006
Passports received with all other docs: July 20 , 2006

Regards

Ali

rose99
Newly Registered

Post by rose99 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:44 pm

Thanks Ali! I hope my package will arrive either today or tomorrow as well. As I am at work now, I am not able to check...

My application was sent on July 1st, received on July 4th (it was a weekend on 1st and 2nd), as I am fee exempt and didn't send a payment, I just got a letter on July 14th stating that the documents are now (as of July 12th) passed on the team that processes the applications. It seems it took them a lot of time to see that I am exempt (even when fees donb't have to be processed!) and to pass it onto the visa processing guys. This has been extremely nerve wrecking as I am leaving for a trip shortly and need the passports back asap. I am glad this forum exists as it helps a lot in situations like these...

Thanks again to everybody,

Rose

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:34 am

Hi, you can call up home office FLR divsion and explain your situation, they might accept urgent treatment form ( not sure though..)
You Can Win. Believe in Yourself.
---

rose99
Newly Registered

Post by rose99 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi 'itsme' and thanks! I've already called them yesterday and they said my application had been approved and the documents were dispatched yesterday. So, I should get them either today or maybe tomorrow or if not, then on Monday.

Rose

angel1241

Post by angel1241 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:58 am

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how long before expiry of the HSMP VISA do I need to apply for HSMP EXTENSION - FLR(IED)?

Someone said you need to apply 5 weeks before, where as previously it was 2 months ?

Still haven't found anything on their website.

Thanks !

rose99
Newly Registered

Post by rose99 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi,

I've sent my papers and application exactly 2 months before my HSMP visa expired and, according to this forum, many other had done the same as well, and the applications were approved + extensions granted. Here is my timeline (note: I am exempt from paying fees due to one of my nationalities but still my application had to go through the fee charging team):

- HSMP visa expiry date: Aug. 30, 2006
- sent FLR (IED) application (by Special delivery): July 1, 2006
- application received by Home Office (fee charging team): July 4, 2006
- received confirmation letter (dated July 12, 2006) and ref. number: July 14, 2006
- phoned Home Office and learnt that my application had been approved: July 20, 2006
- documents arrived (by Special Delivery): July 22, 2006.
- visa granted until August 30, 2010.

Here in London I work in one of my specializations as a manager (I have two university degrees, two postgraduate diplomas and an MBA, and have several professions that I can pursue), my husband works as a manager in his profession (IT) as well, and we are extremely happy with our decission to come to the UK (from Canada) on this HSMP program. We find this opportunity and so far experience much better than it was our experience of immigrants in Canada for almost 10 years (before coming to the UK).

Thank you all for your sharing, guidance and general attitudes. Good luck with your visas and extensions!

Rose

simar

Post by simar » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:06 pm

rose99 wrote:Hi,

I've sent my papers and application exactly 2 months before my HSMP visa expired and, according to this forum, many other had done the same as well, and the applications were approved + extensions granted. Here is my timeline (note: I am exempt from paying fees due to one of my nationalities but still my application had to go through the fee charging team):

- HSMP visa expiry date: Aug. 30, 2006
- sent FLR (IED) application (by Special delivery): July 1, 2006
- application received by Home Office (fee charging team): July 4, 2006
- received confirmation letter (dated July 12, 2006) and ref. number: July 14, 2006
- phoned Home Office and learnt that my application had been approved: July 20, 2006
- documents arrived (by Special Delivery): July 22, 2006.
- visa granted until August 30, 2010.

Here in London I work in one of my specializations as a manager (I have two university degrees, two postgraduate diplomas and an MBA, and have several professions that I can pursue), my husband works as a manager in his profession (IT) as well, and we are extremely happy with our decission to come to the UK (from Canada) on this HSMP program. We find this opportunity and so far experience much better than it was our experience of immigrants in Canada for almost 10 years (before coming to the UK).

Thank you all for your sharing, guidance and general attitudes. Good luck with your visas and extensions!

Rose

Hi Rose,
can you please let me know what make UK better than Canada for you. Is it just because of purely momentary terms . Obliviously you are doing similar kind of work in Canada before coming here in uk on hsmp .
Actually I am planning to move to Canada next year. I too come on hsmp and have got extension .

thanks

busa

Post by busa » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:47 pm

Just a quick update. My documents arrived on 21st with Visa stamped till 2010.

I sent the application on 01st July (Sat).
Reached FLR payment processing team on 03rd July (Mon).
After a long wait, called them to get my reference number.
Waited somemore time to get the reference number letter. Than called them again to find the application was processed.
Recieved my passport back with visa on 21st July. Still waiting for the reference number letter :wink:

Though there were some glitches but the application was processed in three weeks :lol:

Cheers

rose99
Newly Registered

Post by rose99 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:56 pm

Hi Simar,

To answer your question about Canada and if we put aside my own feelings about the culture and ways of life in North America in general, the main problem for immigrants in Canada is that Canadian businesses/professional circles do not recognize your previous education and experience and don't bother reading your resume, no matter how many points you've got in the immigration process for visa purposes and how much you have been checked by the Canadian counsulate prior to getting a visa or where you've worked previously. What they are looking for is that infamous "Canadian experience" that every employer wants to see on the resume, and they don't care that you've worked for the best corporations in the world for a certain field - they care only about the Canadian experience. I also have to say that this is not only a problem for immigrants but is also for Canadians who dared to live abroad for years working or studying and when they finally come back home, there are no jobs for them and their education and experience are not valid enough for the employers. I did my master thesis in Canada on that topic and always say that I feel very dissapointed in how Canada treats its highly skilled immigrants. It is not just me - there are also Canadians that are now trying to change the overall attitude, but that is not working as fast as it should... You can read a lot about that on the web (www.notcanada.com first comes to mind and whatever you read there is what I have also experienced with my family). It is also interesting to point out that no other country with such a high immigration influx (such as Australia, US, UK, Holland, Germany, France, Sweden, Norway) has such a bad reputation on the web/print/TV (surprisingly Canadian TV mostly) when it comes to how its immigrants are treated once when they land and become residents. I followed these sentiments for two years prior to writing my master thesis and although you can find some negative comments about other countries as well (which is natural as everybody has different opinions) it is Canada (a country that advertises itself as a country with best living standard in the world and that boasts about UN ratings related to that) that is widely commented on in negative terms. It is also interesting to say that even the Canadian Government officially recognizes the problem with how the highly skilled immigrants are treated and for the past 2-3 years is trying to change the situation among the business/professional communities, but it is very obvious that it is not successful and that it is very hard to change the overall business/professional (homophobic) culture that exists there.

I have to say that Canada has a great system of integrating its immigrants in terms of language skills for example (if you look at the UK in that way, it is horrible as it does not have any free English as a Second Language (ESL) courses like Canada does), or helping them with making their job applications/resumes, but when it finally comes to finding appropriate job, most highly skilled immigrants end up sweeping floors, delivering pizzas, driving cabs or becoming child-day-care providers at their own homes. What a waste of tallent, particularly when Canada has not paid a cent for the education of those immigrants. Also, most of those highly skilled immigrants usualy don't need an extra English language training, so in my opinion the money that the Canadian government spends in that area should have been spent somewhere else.

For some time I used to work in the adult education centre in a town in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) where those highly skilled immigrants come in thousands to upgrade their language and other skills hoping to find decent jobs and I know their backgrounds, problems they encountered in Canada, and many of them personally. I've met too many PhDs who ended in menial jobs and it is a big disgrace. It really doesn't matter if your background is from Asia, Africa or Europe, as I've met too many engineers from India, from France, Germany, Russia, China, teachers from Holland, professors from Italy, doctors from all over the world... who couldn't work in their professions in Canada. There is a story, widely reported in Canadian media, about a Chinese scientist (a lady) who has been a part of the crew that had sent the first Chinese astronaut to space and who now sells doghnuts in the Toronto subway. She was featured by all major Canadian newspapers and was on a TV several times telling her story in order to open the eyes of the Canadian society and the problem it has with how it treats its highly skilled immigrants. As a manager at the adult education centre I attended several conferences where one of the topics was this particular problem, and I've met Joe Volpe, former Labour and Immigration minister, and no matter how interested he was to push the stereotips away, it proved to be a hard job and is still not solved.

I have to say that some of highly skilled immigrants managed to get through the red tape, and after certain certification exams managed to work in their own profession, but those are only few lucky ones. I used to be one of them, as I've got a job in my field, although on a much lower position than I used to have had before coming to Canada. As I am very persistant and speak languages, + I graduated from Canadian universities in the meantime (on top of my previous university education gained in my original country), I managed to be promoted to a management role... My own husband (an engineer) worked as pizza driver for two years. The reason why I have so many degrees and diplomas is exactly that situation as I didn't want to end up like most other immigrants and as a result I used to be a full time university student and a full time employee (and finally a manager) for the last six years in Canada. Very exhausting if you know that we have also a family to raise and feed. My husband did the same (during about two years we were both full time students, employed and were raising three small children at the same time), and finally managed to excel in his field as well, but we've lost too many years in the process and instead of growing professionally, we had to go back to school all over again. Most immigrants in Canada are reluctant to do that and instead stay in their odd jobs in order to be able to feed their families. If you ask any Canadian if they would like to move to another country and have to go to school from scratch they would think you're crazy, but they (in a way) ask that of their own immigrants or otherwise the immigrants end up doing jobs that Canadians don't want to do and I am very bitter about that.

On the other hand, that experience was extremely helpful for upgrading my education and overall knowledge and skills, but I used to feel degraded too many times and didn't want to live in the society that allows that. As we are Europeans anyway, we decided to move back to Europe and the HSMP programme proved to be a right move for us. I am still very bitter about how we were treated in Canada as professionals, but here in the UK feel very free to say that I feel welcome in many ways. If we put aside the Home Office change of rules re: ILR, everything else (for us) was much better experience than in Canada. My husband got a management position (IT) only after 5 days of looking for work, and I managed to do the same (as I was very picky) after two months. My British colleagues do not question my qualifications nor treat me as a person that is an immigrant and that needs to learn "the ways of this society" as many Canadians constantly try to put on every immigrant (no matter how long one has lived in the country). I feel more comfortable and more accepted here in the UK where everybody goes about their own business, don't have time to think about who is an immigrant and who is not, where I am not constantly reminded that I am an immigrant, and where I am accepted professionally. As a last point, here in the UK I feel that people value education much better than that is the case with Canada, and Canadians really don't have that much to boast education-wise as my Canadian university courses felt like high school courses in my country - they were that easy and simple.

I hope this will help you and wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rose

deep
Newly Registered

That was a great effort

Post by deep » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:40 pm

Hi Rose,

I really appreciate your patience and time you have taken to explain facts about skilled people in Canada.That was very helpfull

deep

rose99 wrote:Hi Simar,

To answer your question about Canada and if we put aside my own feelings about the culture and ways of life in North America in general, the main problem for immigrants in Canada is that Canadian businesses/professional circles do not recognize your previous education and experience and don't bother reading your resume, no matter how many points you've got in the immigration process for visa purposes and how much you have been checked by the Canadian counsulate prior to getting a visa or where you've worked previously. What they are looking for is that infamous "Canadian experience" that every employer wants to see on the resume, and they don't care that you've worked for the best corporations in the world for a certain field - they care only about the Canadian experience. I also have to say that this is not only a problem for immigrants but is also for Canadians who dared to live abroad for years working or studying and when they finally come back home, there are no jobs for them and their education and experience are not valid enough for the employers. I did my master thesis in Canada on that topic and always say that I feel very dissapointed in how Canada treats its highly skilled immigrants. It is not just me - there are also Canadians that are now trying to change the overall attitude, but that is not working as fast as it should... You can read a lot about that on the web (www.notcanada.com first comes to mind and whatever you read there is what I have also experienced with my family). It is also interesting to point out that no other country with such a high immigration influx (such as Australia, US, UK, Holland, Germany, France, Sweden, Norway) has such a bad reputation on the web/print/TV (surprisingly Canadian TV mostly) when it comes to how its immigrants are treated once when they land and become residents. I followed these sentiments for two years prior to writing my master thesis and although you can find some negative comments about other countries as well (which is natural as everybody has different opinions) it is Canada (a country that advertises itself as a country with best living standard in the world and that boasts about UN ratings related to that) that is widely commented on in negative terms. It is also interesting to say that even the Canadian Government officially recognizes the problem with how the highly skilled immigrants are treated and for the past 2-3 years is trying to change the situation among the business/professional communities, but it is very obvious that it is not successful and that it is very hard to change the overall business/professional (homophobic) culture that exists there.

I have to say that Canada has a great system of integrating its immigrants in terms of language skills for example (if you look at the UK in that way, it is horrible as it does not have any free English as a Second Language (ESL) courses like Canada does), or helping them with making their job applications/resumes, but when it finally comes to finding appropriate job, most highly skilled immigrants end up sweeping floors, delivering pizzas, driving cabs or becoming child-day-care providers at their own homes. What a waste of tallent, particularly when Canada has not paid a cent for the education of those immigrants. Also, most of those highly skilled immigrants usualy don't need an extra English language training, so in my opinion the money that the Canadian government spends in that area should have been spent somewhere else.

For some time I used to work in the adult education centre in a town in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) where those highly skilled immigrants come in thousands to upgrade their language and other skills hoping to find decent jobs and I know their backgrounds, problems they encountered in Canada, and many of them personally. I've met too many PhDs who ended in menial jobs and it is a big disgrace. It really doesn't matter if your background is from Asia, Africa or Europe, as I've met too many engineers from India, from France, Germany, Russia, China, teachers from Holland, professors from Italy, doctors from all over the world... who couldn't work in their professions in Canada. There is a story, widely reported in Canadian media, about a Chinese scientist (a lady) who has been a part of the crew that had sent the first Chinese astronaut to space and who now sells doghnuts in the Toronto subway. She was featured by all major Canadian newspapers and was on a TV several times telling her story in order to open the eyes of the Canadian society and the problem it has with how it treats its highly skilled immigrants. As a manager at the adult education centre I attended several conferences where one of the topics was this particular problem, and I've met Joe Volpe, former Labour and Immigration minister, and no matter how interested he was to push the stereotips away, it proved to be a hard job and is still not solved.

I have to say that some of highly skilled immigrants managed to get through the red tape, and after certain certification exams managed to work in their own profession, but those are only few lucky ones. I used to be one of them, as I've got a job in my field, although on a much lower position than I used to have had before coming to Canada. As I am very persistant and speak languages, + I graduated from Canadian universities in the meantime (on top of my previous university education gained in my original country), I managed to be promoted to a management role... My own husband (an engineer) worked as pizza driver for two years. The reason why I have so many degrees and diplomas is exactly that situation as I didn't want to end up like most other immigrants and as a result I used to be a full time university student and a full time employee (and finally a manager) for the last six years in Canada. Very exhausting if you know that we have also a family to raise and feed. My husband did the same (during about two years we were both full time students, employed and were raising three small children at the same time), and finally managed to excel in his field as well, but we've lost too many years in the process and instead of growing professionally, we had to go back to school all over again. Most immigrants in Canada are reluctant to do that and instead stay in their odd jobs in order to be able to feed their families. If you ask any Canadian if they would like to move to another country and have to go to school from scratch they would think you're crazy, but they (in a way) ask that of their own immigrants or otherwise the immigrants end up doing jobs that Canadians don't want to do and I am very bitter about that.

On the other hand, that experience was extremely helpful for upgrading my education and overall knowledge and skills, but I used to feel degraded too many times and didn't want to live in the society that allows that. As we are Europeans anyway, we decided to move back to Europe and the HSMP programme proved to be a right move for us. I am still very bitter about how we were treated in Canada as professionals, but here in the UK feel very free to say that I feel welcome in many ways. If we put aside the Home Office change of rules re: ILR, everything else (for us) was much better experience than in Canada. My husband got a management position (IT) only after 5 days of looking for work, and I managed to do the same (as I was very picky) after two months. My British colleagues do not question my qualifications nor treat me as a person that is an immigrant and that needs to learn "the ways of this society" as many Canadians constantly try to put on every immigrant (no matter how long one has lived in the country). I feel more comfortable and more accepted here in the UK where everybody goes about their own business, don't have time to think about who is an immigrant and who is not, where I am not constantly reminded that I am an immigrant, and where I am accepted professionally. As a last point, here in the UK I feel that people value education much better than that is the case with Canada, and Canadians really don't have that much to boast education-wise as my Canadian university courses felt like high school courses in my country - they were that easy and simple.

I hope this will help you and wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rose

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:24 am

In an instance where a couple with kids are applying for FLR, does the £335 cover the entire family or it is £335 for each visa.

Thanks.
"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."