ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

In-Person applicants experiences

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:56 pm

oceanboy_99 wrote: 6. I therefore tried to speak to my original case worker. She said that the expiry date of my newly approved Tier 1 General visa is contingent on the type of my current visa. For a student visa, the new Tier 1 visa will valid for three years from the date the student apply. While for some other types of visa, the new Tier 1 visa will valid for three years after the expiry date of the current visas. Could anyone confirm this please? My student visa was supposed to be valid for another 5 months =(.
Yes, the case worker is correct. Since you are currently on a Student visa and are being granted Tier-1 visa for the first time - this is not an extension case. However, if you were already on Tier-1 or HSMP and extending your stay (instead of switching) you would have got the visa 3 years from date of expiry of current leave.
Regards,
crowbar6

oceanboy_99
Newly Registered

Post by oceanboy_99 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:09 pm

crowbar6 wrote:
oceanboy_99 wrote: 6. I therefore tried to speak to my original case worker. She said that the expiry date of my newly approved Tier 1 General visa is contingent on the type of my current visa. For a student visa, the new Tier 1 visa will valid for three years from the date the student apply. While for some other types of visa, the new Tier 1 visa will valid for three years after the expiry date of the current visas. Could anyone confirm this please? My student visa was supposed to be valid for another 5 months =(.
Yes, the case worker is correct. Since you are currently on a Student visa and are being granted Tier-1 visa for the first time - this is not an extension case. However, if you were already on Tier-1 or HSMP and extending your stay (instead of switching) you would have got the visa 3 years from date of expiry of current leave.
Ok thanks gotcha and crowbar6.

tcpip_helper
United Kingdom

Post by tcpip_helper » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:08 pm

infact its a good thing your 5 year time period for ILR starts immediately.

anakin
Newly Registered

traffic conviction

Post by anakin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:08 am

Can somebody who had traffic conviction and points on driving license post their in person visa extension experience please.
Will the case worker create any problems during the extension.
From my colleagues experience, the last check they run before issuing the visa is check for any convictions, so getting tense about it.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:34 pm

nabeel_sheraz wrote:infact its a good thing your 5 year time period for ILR starts immediately.
5 year time period for ILR?? :roll:
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

tcpip_helper
United Kingdom

Post by tcpip_helper » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:21 am

push wrote:
nabeel_sheraz wrote:infact its a good thing your 5 year time period for ILR starts immediately.
5 year time period for ILR?? :roll:
?????

Lax
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier-2 to Tier-1 in person

Post by Lax » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi,
Iam holding Tier-2 Visa currently.
Iam Planning to apply for Tier-1 in person.
Can anyone share their experience and views on switching from Tier-2 to Tier-1 in person.

Thanks,
Lax

extn.t1
Newly Registered

Review Please

Post by extn.t1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:04 pm

Hello All,

I would be filing extension of leave under tier-1 from hsmp shortly at Croyden.
Kindly request you to review the list of documents i would be submitting for the same.

Main Applicant documents:

1) Duly filled Tier 1 General extension application form (latest form released this month)

2) Separate 1 page Cover Letters for introduction,previous earnings,maintainance funds.

3) Age : 20 Points.
Evidence supplied in the initial HSMP application.

4) Qualification: 30 Points ( Bachelors degree).

5) Earnings: 45 Points.
Period Claimed: 1 Oct 2008 - 30 Sep 2009
Evidence:
i . 12 Months Payslips for claim period( a couple of payslips are signed and stamped from employer as i had lost them)
ii. Bank Statements ( 1st October 2008 to 30 September 2009)
iii. Letter from employer giving split up of each month's gross and net pay

6) UK Experience: 5 Points.
Evidence : Letter from employer mentioning start date,gross salary,potential bonus and designation

7) English Language Requirements: 10 Points.

8 ) Maintenance: 10 Points.
Evidence:
i. Payslips as part of previous earnings.
ii.Letter from bank mentioning the existance of minimum balance £1600 for well over 3 months and also salary credits done by my employer.

9) Passport

10) A copy of the points-based calculator self-assessment report.

Spouse:

1) Filled in latest Tier 1 PBS dependant application form released this month.
2) Passport
3) Original Marriage Certificate

Many thanks in advance
tier1.extn

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi extn.t1,

Please find comments inline:
Not so sure about this, the guidance does not mention that it would not be required to send the evidence if it has been supplied with the initial HSMP application. Just mention in your cover letter that you are attaching your passport to be treated as evidence for this section.
Evidence:
ii.Letter from bank mentioning the existance of minimum balance £1600 for well over 3 months and also salary credits done by my employer.
Payslips are not applicable evidence for maintenance requirement. Also the bank statement need not mention salary credits, unless you are using this for previous earnings as well. I think a single letter from the bank on official bank letterhead and stamped and signed by your bank saying that for the last 3 months period, (with start and end dates), your minimum balance was XXXX GBP, should suffice.

I am sure you are taking photographs with you, make sure they are not older than a month, and comply with the photo guidance set out by the UKBA.
Spouse:

2) Passport
Same comment about photographs.
Challenges make life worth it!

extn.t1
Newly Registered

Review

Post by extn.t1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Many thanks for your inputs.
It was a mistake in my earlier post.

Please find the corrections in BOLD.
InUkOnHsmp wrote:Hi extn.t1,

Please find comments inline:
Not so sure about this, the guidance does not mention that it would not be required to send the evidence if it has been supplied with the initial HSMP application. Just mention in your cover letter that you are attaching your passport to be treated as evidence for this section.
i am submitting my passport here
Evidence:
Payslips are not applicable evidence for maintenance requirement. Also the bank statement need not mention salary credits, unless you are using this for previous earnings as well. I think a single letter from the bank on official bank letterhead and stamped and signed by your bank saying that for the last 3 months period, (with start and end dates), your minimum balance was XXXX GBP, should suffice.

It was my mistake of not mentioning properly earlier.
i.bank statements as part of previous earnings.
ii Also have letter from bank on their letter head mentioning £1600 is in account for more than last 3 months

I am sure you are taking photographs with you, make sure they are not older than a month, and comply with the photo guidance set out by the UKBA.
Photos are as per UKBA spec and was taken last week :)
Spouse:

2) Passport
Same comment about photographs.

extn.t1
Newly Registered

Approval foextension of leave from hsmp at Croydon Today

Post by extn.t1 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Ok so its my pay back time to this wonderful forum with so knowledgeable and helpful guys...
My special thanks to chetan,push and InUkOnHsmp :)

Summary:

Got through booking an appointment at Croydon 4 weeks ago after following the regular pattern of calling everyday at 8:59 a.m.Was asked to report at 9:30am as my alloted slot was at 10:00 am

Arrived at Croydon-PEO at 8:15 and was luckily allowed to get inside for security check.After the screening,the guard asked me to move to one of the counters at ground floor for initial check of my application.

Lady at the counter asked me the application forms and removed all the unwanted sections of 73 page form.She then asked me my bank statements for last 3 months.Upon checking my current account balance,she straight away told me that i do not qualify as maintainance funds are less than required.That was when i realised,i am at embassy :)

I then told her about my savings account and showed the letter from bank that i had taken with me as one of evidences.I was asked to show the photographs.

Finally she gave a print out which had the token number and asked to proceed for payment at first floor.On Completing the formalities of "premium service payment",i was asked to wait until my number was called.
Note:The sheet that had my token number also mentions the floor where we need to wait.

9:00 am : Caseworker called my number and i went to the appropriate counter to submit the application and docs.My caseworker was briefed about something by a senior embassy staff and i realised it was her debut today :)

I submitted my evidences explaining for the categories they belonged.

She had a glance of all the docs and asked me to come after 1 hour.It was 9:20 by then and the waiting time started.

10:45 am : Caseworker packed her bags and went for a break.It gave me some hope of the decision being made else she would have called me for clarifications.

11:15 am : I was called to report at the counter i submitted the docs and was told "your visa is granted for 3 years from today".I knew it was her mistake as she had granted the extension from today instead of the actual expiry date.I kept quiet as i did not want to disappoint her on her debut.Simply collected back all the evidences i had submitted,thanked her and came back at waiting zone.

12:15 pm : Was called at a different counter and handed over passport and new approval letters(these letters are just a print out mentioning the date of application,expiry dates and points granted.
I immediately told them the discrepancy of visa start date and was told to wait for 30mins more for the correction.

1:00 pm : Final call and fortunately there were no printing mistakes this time.Rechecked the passport and letters and was done with D-Day :)

Many thanks again for all the people on this forum who have been doing wonderful job of guiding the applicants.Please feel free to drop me a message if i could be of any help.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:31 pm

You are welcome pal, and many congratulations on your success!

I am awaiting my decision breathlessly. I am one of those extremely lucky people who could not get an in-person appointment, although my company was ready to pay for it. phew! :oops:

Another piece of luck, I paid by credit card still the payment was deducted 4 days after my app reached the HO.

Well enough gumbling from my side. Enjoy your success!!!
Challenges make life worth it!

Ums
Newly Registered

My experience at PEO Croydon

Post by Ums » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:01 pm

I had booked an online appt for today at 0945 at Croydon.

Arrived at 0800 and joined the queue at 0815. After security check was again in a queue till 0900. Went to the counter where I was told taht he was not checking any of my documents but could I confirm that I had everything. The officer said that the caseworker would have alook at the documents.

When the officer tried to see if I had the appt booked, he could not locate the appt. I had a printout of the online confirmation recd.

He spent 35 mins trying to figure out but could not see my appt anywhere in the system. He left the desk and went to see someone to see what could be done. came back at 0955 and said he had sorted out and told me to go to the First floor for payment and wait on the same floor for the caseworker.

It was already 1030 when I finished my payment.

Waited on the first floor for number to be called. Was finally called at 1100. The caseworker was indeed very polite and lovely.

She was happy that I had organised my documents and had postits on my bankstatements and commented on it. I had also submitted a spreadsheet (modified Chetan's)

She asked a few questions and after 65mins said she had to work at the documentation away from the counter.

Came back and said that it would take time to process and to come back after 2 hrs and either she or someone else would tell me "whatever the outcome". This did worry me. I asked if she needed any other documents and she said to keep my mobile on so that they could contact me if necessary.

Came back and waited till 1530 in front of her counter when she called and said that these things take time and that the ext is approved till 2012. I would have to wait some more time for visa to be stamped.

Finally recd the passports at 1630.

Paid £ 15.00 for parking at Addlers

tcpip_helper
United Kingdom

Post by tcpip_helper » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:44 pm

Hi,

i booked my appointment on 18th sep via ukba online booking system and got the date for 20th oct at corydon. i was on psw with 9 months letf. my appointment was at 09:45 and i was at PEO corydon sharp at 09:15. There were not many people surprisingly in the queue. at the gate i went through the security and in the queue again for intial check of my application on the ground floor. the guy took few minutes to check my application and asked me to go on first floor for payment.

after taking the payment the cashier told me that my card is not valid as its starting date is from next month then i said yes i know but this card is activated and working then she asked her collegue and said ok, and yes i did call my Barclaycard yesterday to make sure my payment goes through.

straight after making the payment my token number was called and i went to see the relevant counter which was actually a customer service counter, the lady told me that i need to go on second floor.

i went to second floor and start waiting for my turn, 30 minutes gone and no luck then i realised something is wrong b/z most of the calls were for biometrics and students, i went to second floor customer service counter and asked them why my number hasn't been called she said if you are here for tier1 you should be on the first floor, i went again on first floor and tell the customer service lady, she said wait here and your number will be called soon.

within 10 minutes my num was called at about 11:00pm, the caseworker lady was nice and she asked me my application form and passport, after few minutes she said these kind of applications take time and i should come back after 2 hours.

i stayed in the building and at around 12:25 she called me again and said everything is fine and my application has been approved and it'll take further 45 minutes for my passport to get stamped. but within 10 minutes my number was called again and my passport was ready for collection, i checked all the details and left the building. my employers told me later that they didnt receive any call from home office to confirm my earnings.

one more thing that only the first floor cust service lady asked me to provide her my booking receipt and no one else bothered to check whether i've really booked my appointment, it was kind of strange to me.

my visa is issued for 3 years starting from today. if you need any help please let me know

techie_09

Post by techie_09 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Dear All,

Today I got Tier-1 extension (from HSMP to Tier 1). I went for premium service and got my visa stamped along with dependents today.

PEO Name: Croydon
Visa Category: HSMP
Extension : Granted for 3 years from date of expiry. In my case I got it till Mar 2013

My experience was same as people mentioned in earlier posts except in my case it took longer than ususal.

Although my application was straightforward still caseworker took 4 hours to process it. Looks like she was new becuase I noticed she was bit uncomfortable and most of the time taking help with other fellow members. After another 2.5 hours I got my stamped passport.

Overall I am happy becasue I got the visa from date of expiry which was 4 months advance than application date.

Best wishes to other fellow applicants who are planning to apply.

Kind Regards

vidya

peo glasgow

Post by vidya » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:00 am

hi

just wanted to update my experience at glasgow peo

had in person appt yday at 9am for hsmp extension into tier 1 ....there were not many ppl in queue and just few for visa extension ....(most of there others were therefor the biometric id process)

we were called to a counter at 9.15am and handed over our papers , the case worker said hed call us back soon , and he called us an hour or so later ( arnd 10.30 ) and confirmed that papers are okay and he will issue 3 year LTR ....and then asked us to go to payment counter and pay .....one more person called us to another counter where he photocopied all our evidences and gave us back all papers except the passports and said that stamping takes one hour ....they called us before 12 and gave our ppts with visa stamped 3 years from feb 2010.
one thing i noted is that for other cases also they took payment only after processing the case , ....one other person had not got adequate evidence of maintenence funds ( his bank st were more than a month old ) theyde said they cant grant the extension till he submits the required proof, but they also did not take fees from his and granted his request to come back the very next day with the addl evidence and gave him a next day appt....

TaliaNC
Newly Registered

Croydon experience

Post by TaliaNC » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:20 pm

I successfully made an initial application for a Tier 1 (general) visa this week at the Croydon Public Enquiries Office. I was switching from a Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) visa.

My appointment was at 9am. I arrived a little after 8 am, and got into the building fairly quickly as there's a different line for premium applicants (I did have to show my appointment confirmation number so I'm glad I printed the e-mail out!). I was seen by a man at one of the counters at reception, who checked my passport and my application form. He also looked at my bank statements to check I met the maintenance requirement (I guess this is the easiest thing for them to check before people pay).

I went to the 1st floor and paid (this took a while as their systems were a bit wonky and with me and the man before me they had to call the bank to verify the payment). I waited in the waiting area for a while I was called to a counter a little after 9am. The woman at the counter was nice. She asked for all of my documents and looked at them for a few minutes, then said she needed to do some checks and asked me to sit in the waiting area. She called me up once to ask about my Master's degree because she was having trouble getting the system to recognize it, but when I told her the category I'd put into the points based calculator online that sorted things out. At 10:30 she called me up again and said that I was being granted a 3 year visa, gave back most of my documents and said to go back to the waiting area while they put the visa in my passport. By 11:30 I had my visa and was good to go!

One thing to note is that the new visa starts on the date that it was issued, and not the date the other one expires a month later which is a little annoying.

Documents I presented were:
1. Passport
2. Savings account bank statements covering 3 months, for the maintenance requirement
3. 12 current account bank statements showing my salary payments for the earnings requirement
4. 12 payslips that showed the same payments (these weren't stamped or signed or anything because they were on non-plain payslip paper)
5. A letter from my employer listing all of those payments and dates (actually in three columns - gross pay, gross pay minus pension, and net pay) and explaining that the dates on the payslips would be after the date I was actually paid because the payslips are post-dated.

push
United Kingdom

Re: Croydon experience

Post by push » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:24 pm

TaliaNC wrote:I successfully made an initial application for a Tier 1 (general) visa this week at the Croydon Public Enquiries Office. I was switching from a Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) visa.

My appointment was at 9am. I arrived a little after 8 am, and got into the building fairly quickly as there's a different line for premium applicants (I did have to show my appointment confirmation number so I'm glad I printed the e-mail out!). I was seen by a man at one of the counters at reception, who checked my passport and my application form. He also looked at my bank statements to check I met the maintenance requirement (I guess this is the easiest thing for them to check before people pay).

I went to the 1st floor and paid (this took a while as their systems were a bit wonky and with me and the man before me they had to call the bank to verify the payment). I waited in the waiting area for a while I was called to a counter a little after 9am. The woman at the counter was nice. She asked for all of my documents and looked at them for a few minutes, then said she needed to do some checks and asked me to sit in the waiting area. She called me up once to ask about my Master's degree because she was having trouble getting the system to recognize it, but when I told her the category I'd put into the points based calculator online that sorted things out. At 10:30 she called me up again and said that I was being granted a 3 year visa, gave back most of my documents and said to go back to the waiting area while they put the visa in my passport. By 11:30 I had my visa and was good to go!

One thing to note is that the new visa starts on the date that it was issued, and not the date the other one expires a month later which is a little annoying.

Documents I presented were:
1. Passport
2. Savings account bank statements covering 3 months, for the maintenance requirement
3. 12 current account bank statements showing my salary payments for the earnings requirement
4. 12 payslips that showed the same payments (these weren't stamped or signed or anything because they were on non-plain payslip paper)
5. A letter from my employer listing all of those payments and dates (actually in three columns - gross pay, gross pay minus pension, and net pay) and explaining that the dates on the payslips would be after the date I was actually paid because the payslips are post-dated.
It always starts from the day it is approved (unless asked for post dating,that too in case of initial entry). Check the expiry date- thats the only important thing.
regards,
push

TaliaNC
Newly Registered

Expiry

Post by TaliaNC » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:55 pm

It expires 3 years from the day it was approved, which is what annoys me a bit, as I could have gotten an extra month. But ultimately in my case it's extremely unlikely I'll be here that long so don't care, just a heads up for others. Can you ask them to post-date it?

niceguyinuk

Post by niceguyinuk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi all

Tier 1 general extension can be done in the PEO? I saw in the home office website the extension to the HSMP is not available at PEO.

Please help me

Rima
Newly Registered

Approved!!

Post by Rima » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi Guys,

I got it today (Tier 1 – General) for 3 years!

Thank you very much all of you!! And Special Thank you to Sheraz Khalil MBA ACCA/HSK Accountancy Services as well as to mvent00 and Sushil-ACCA for you great help, advice and prompt replies!!!

Case: salaried earnings + self-employed activities (Initial Application)
Applied in person: 17/11/09 - 9am
Application approved: 12 pm
No verification checks! I believe this is due to good certified Accountant’s Report!!

Points claimed:
Qualification: 35
Earnings: 35
UK Experience: 35

Thank you everyone who make the best to keep this forum great!!

And Good Luck for those who are still waiting!!

Best regards,

Rima

leoseptember
Newly Registered

Re: Approved!!

Post by leoseptember » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Rima wrote:Hi Guys,

I got it today (Tier 1 – General) for 3 years!

Thank you very much all of you!! And Special Thank you to Sheraz Khalil MBA ACCA/HSK Accountancy Services as well as to mvent00 and Sushil-ACCA for you great help, advice and prompt replies!!!

Case: salaried earnings + self-employed activities (Initial Application)
Applied in person: 17/11/09 - 9am
Application approved: 12 pm
No verification checks! I believe this is due to good certified Accountant’s Report!!

Points claimed:
Qualification: 35
Earnings: 35
UK Experience: 35

Thank you everyone who make the best to keep this forum great!!

And Good Luck for those who are still waiting!!

Best regards,

Rima
Congratulations!!

push
United Kingdom

Re: Expiry

Post by push » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:31 pm

TaliaNC wrote:It expires 3 years from the day it was approved, which is what annoys me a bit, as I could have gotten an extra month. But ultimately in my case it's extremely unlikely I'll be here that long so don't care, just a heads up for others. Can you ask them to post-date it?
Thats really unfortunate
regards,
push

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:42 pm

niceguyinuk wrote:Hi all

Tier 1 general extension can be done in the PEO? I saw in the home office website the extension to the HSMP is not available at PEO.

Please help me
Yes you can. Extension to HSMP is done into Tier-1 (G)
regards,
push

gotcha
Member of Standing

Re: Expiry

Post by gotcha » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 am

push wrote:
TaliaNC wrote:It expires 3 years from the day it was approved, which is what annoys me a bit, as I could have gotten an extra month. But ultimately in my case it's extremely unlikely I'll be here that long so don't care, just a heads up for others. Can you ask them to post-date it?
Thats really unfortunate
For initial application expiry will be always 3 years from date of approval. It's not extension application. As it overrides any preivous category.