ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:05 pm

:roll: :shock:

FKarim

HO Replies

Post by FKarim » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:12 pm

The email replies that some members of this board including myself have received are identical, word-to-word, which makes me believe this is an automated response. It is possible that in the past the HO used to realise and think that new rules may never be applied to existing residents and based on that sensible assumption they might've setup filters and automated responses. Perhaps they haven't got round to updating these yet. Just a theory ...

I got lucky yesterday and managed to log on to the IND and "Working in the UK" websites, suffered massive delays though. If you look at the full statement of rules under the HSMP/WP sections on the IND website, they are still talking about 4 years for settlement. Same is the case with HSMP/WP summary guidance on the "Working in the UK" website. However, if you open the new ILR application form, it does say that people applying from 3rd April will need to have completed 5 years of residence as opposed to 4.

May be this is the same sheer laziness and "don't bother" attitude towards keeping information up-to-date on the websites that we are seeing in their emails.

sowhat

Re: HO Replies

Post by sowhat » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:16 pm

FKarim wrote:The email replies that some members of this board including myself have received are identical, word-to-word, which makes me believe this is an automated response. It is possible that in the past the HO used to realise and think that new rules may never be applied to existing residents and based on that sensible assumption they might've setup filters and automated responses. Perhaps they haven't got round to updating these yet. Just a theory ...

I got lucky yesterday and managed to log on to the IND and "Working in the UK" websites, suffered massive delays though. If you look at the full statement of rules under the HSMP/WP sections on the IND website, they are still talking about 4 years for settlement. Same is the case with HSMP/WP summary guidance on the "Working in the UK" website. However, if you open the new ILR application form, it does say that people applying from 3rd April will need to have completed 5 years of residence as opposed to 4.

May be this is the same sheer laziness and "don't bother" attitude towards keeping information up-to-date on the websites that we are seeing in their emails.
mine was not identical, though signed by HSMP Team

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:21 pm

easylife4me wrote:this is what i got from
Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules HC 1016
I am here: Home > News > Press releases and announcements > Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules HC 1016

31 March 2006

Indefinite leave to remain for a work permit holder

134. Indefinite leave to remain may be granted, on application, to a person admitted as a work permit holder provided:

(i) he has spent a continuous period of 4 years in the United Kingdom in this capacity; and

(ii) he has met the requirements of paragraph 131, 131A, 131B, 131C, 131D, 131E or 131F throughout the 4 year period; and

(iii) he is still required for the employment in question, as certified by his employer.

i m totally confused
now it looks like WP holders get ILR after 4 years and HSMP holders after 5 years:
Indefinite leave to remain as a highly skilled migrant

135G. Indefinite leave to remain may be granted, on application, to a person currently with leave as a highly skilled migrant, provided that he:

(i) he has spent a continuous period of 5 years in the United Kingdom in this capacity, or has had a continuous period of at least 5 years? leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom which is made up of periods of leave granted as a highly skilled migrant in accordance with paragraphs 135A to 135F of these Rules, as work permit holder under paragraphs 128 to 134 of these Rules, or as an Innovator under paragraphs 210A to 210H of these Rules; and

morerightsformigrants

Post by morerightsformigrants » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:25 pm

Dear All,

I now have a confirmed conference meeting for all who are interested in helping us to campaign against the government plans to change the current qualifying period for settlement from 4 years to 5 years.

I am very concerned about the new 5 year qualifying period for indefinite leave to remain. I feel it is unfair to all those who are existing employment related category visa holders since they were under the impression that they were eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain after 4 years. They have planned the lives and their family’s lives around this and as a result they are anxious about the changes and its effects on them. Naturally they are very confused and upset. I genuinely feel that the new law should not be applied retrospectively but rather that the old rules should apply to this category of people instead.

If anyone should have the same concerns please come to our conference where we will address the issue in more detail and will explain the course of action we propose to take.

Please pass the message on to anyone else who is interested.

Saturday 8th April – 2pm

Oriental City

Cultural Room, 2nd Floor

299 Edgware Road

NW9 0JJ

Yours sincerely,

this is event is going to be host by Christine Lee & Co. is the largest ethnic Chinese law firm in the UK with international reputation.
if you want to know more about her please visit http://www.christine-lee.co.uk/index.htm

i'll see you all there..... together we won't be defeated.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:37 pm

IND website :evil:
Last edited by timefactor on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

easylife4me

Post by easylife4me » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:38 pm

timefactor

if you click on Statement of changes and follow the link. you will find the related info
THANKS

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:41 pm

Do you have the page on your screen? it would be helpful if u can upload here
easylife4me wrote:timefactor

if you click on Statement of changes and follow the link. you will find the related info

dnicky
Member of Standing

HO reply to ILR query

Post by dnicky » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:45 pm

All,

Following is the reply that I got in reponse to the iLR query,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: xxx
> Sent: 29 March 2006 14:47
> To: hsmp.workpermits@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
> Subject: ILR query
>
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to access the IND website for quite some time now, but
> without much luck, hence this mail. Would appreciate if you could kindly
> clarify my following query.
>
> I would be completing 4 years (first 2 years and 9 months on WP and the
> rest
> on HSMP) of continuous stay in UK in June this year. At the time of my
> first
> entry into UK and when I switched to HSMP, the qualifying period to apply
> for Indefinite Leave to Remain was 4 years. Does the recent changes to the
>
> immigration rules as a effect of which the qualifying period to apply for
> Indefinite Leave to remain has been increased to 5 years, apply to the
> existing visa holders as well as I'm really very close to completing 4
> years
> of my stay in UK.
>
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>
> Regards
>
> xxx

--------

Dear Sir

Existing visa holders are not affected by the changes.

Regards

HSMP

This is in line to the reply that few others received as well.

Don't know what these guys are playing at !!!

easylife4me

Post by easylife4me » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:59 pm

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... ion_1.html

sorry i m not able to post the screen short.
but This is what I can make out from the above press Release------for WP its 4 years and hsmp its 5 years .
THANKS

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:04 pm

Here are the explanatory notes :-
Explanatory Memorandum to the Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules Laid on 30 March 2006 (HC 1016)
I am here: Home > Laws & Policy > Immigration Rules > Explanatory Memorandum to the Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules Laid on 30 March 2006 (HC 1016)

1.This explanatory memorandum has been prepared by the Home Office and is laid before Parliament by Command of Her Majesty.

2.Description
2.1 This Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules replaces the Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules laid on 13 March but is to take effect on the same date as the instrument it replaces.

2.2 This Statement of Changes (like the Statement of Changes laid on 13 March) contains the following six policy changes:

* For all employment related categories of entry to the UK the qualifying period for settlement ('indefinite leave to remain') is now 5 years.
* A change to the provisions for Postgraduate Doctors and Dentists, so that only those doctors and dentists who have completed their medical or dental degree in the UK will be eligible for leave in this category, and then only to complete the two-year Foundation Programme.
* A change to the Science and Engineering Graduates scheme to incorporate provisions announced in the Chancellor's Pre Budget Report on 5 December. This will enable all Master's and PhD students to apply to work in the UK for 12 months after they complete their studies, regardless of the subject they have studied.
* A change to prevent non-visa nationals in the UK as visitors from being able to switch into the student category for courses above degree level. This change also moves the transitional provisions for the October 2004 (CM 6339) Rules change from guidance notes into the Immigration Rules.
* A technical amendment to the civil partner provisions to include the term 'proposed civil partner' in one paragraph which was omitted when the civil partners changes were originally laid on 24 October 2005 (HC 582).
* A technical amendment to allow work permit holders to switch into the Overseas Nurses Programme to undertake a period of supervised practice or midwife adaptation training.

2.3 There are three key differences between the previous Statement of Changes laid on 13 March and this Statement of Changes. They are as follows:

* Applicants coming to the UK under the ancestry provisions must have leave in this capacity for 5 years in order to qualify for settlement. The previous Statement of Changes provided for leave to be granted in the following pattern: 2 years' leave to enter, followed by 3 years' leave to remain, rather than allowing one single period all the way up to the settlement qualifying period. This Statement of Changes allows for one single period to be granted all the way up to the settlement qualifying period. So, leave to enter and leave to remain under the ancestry provisions may now be granted for up to 5 years at a time.
* Prospective students need to have sought prior entry clearance if they subsequently wish to switch to student status in the UK.
* The rules for postgraduate doctors and dentists have been amended to clarify that applicants need not have completed their medical or dental degree in the 12 months preceding their application, if they are applying for leave to enter and have previously been granted leave in this category.

3.Matters of special interest to the Joint Committee on Statutory Instruments
3.1 None.

4.Legislative Background
4.1 The Immigration Rules are the Rules made under section 3(2) of the Immigration Act 1971. These constitute a statement of practice, as laid before Parliament by the Home Secretary, to be followed in regulating entry into, and stay of persons in, the United Kingdom. Under section 3(2) the Secretary of State is obliged ".. from time to time (and as soon as may be) lay before Parliament
statements of the Rules, or any changes in the Rules, laid down by him as to the practice to be followed in the administration of this Act ..".
4.2 This Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules will be laid on 29 March. All the changes will take effect on 3 April.
4.4 This Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules was incorporated into a consolidated version of the Immigration Rules, which can be found under the 'Laws & Policy' page at: www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk, where there are also copies of all the Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules issued since May 2003.

5.Extent
5.1 This Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules applies to all of the United Kingdom.

6.European Convention on Human Rights
6.1 Not applicable.

7.Policy background
7.1 A summary of each of the six policy changes contained in this Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules follows:

Settlement

* In its February 2005 paper 'Controlling Our Borders: the Five Year Strategy for Asylum and Immigration', the Government set out its view that permanent migration must also be a journey towards being as socially integrated as possible. Those in employment related routes to settlement will now have to spend 5 years working in the UK before being eligible to apply for settlement. This brings us in line with the European norm for these purposes and also helps to ensure that settlement is a final stage in an on-going process of building up an attachment to the UK.
* A 5-year qualifying period leads to a pattern of leave being granted of 2-years followed by 3 years. This will be of benefit to those setting up in business or entering as investors, innovators and in a self-employed capacity where a 2-year initial leave period for establishing oneself is more realistic. Persons who qualify for entry under the UK ancestry provision have always been granted leave to remain for the entirety of the settlement qualifying period. Although the Statement of Change laid on 13 March (now withdrawn) gave them a pattern of leave in line with other categories (2-years followed by 3-years) it has been decided to restore to them the facility of being granted leave to enter for the entirety of the settlement qualifying period as before.
* The overall policy change is not regarded as controversial. In order to qualify for settlement after 4 years applicants were required to show that they will remain in employment or viable self-supporting activity for the foreseeable future. We are simply asking this state of affairs to continue and to be marked after 5 years instead of four.
* The European norm will become established as a right under the Free Movement of Persons Directive for EEA nationals exercising treaty rights after 30 April 2006. The Government does not feel that there are any benefits to be had by the UK maintaining a 4 year provision for such nationals; even more so given its wish to increase the qualifying period to 5 years for others anyway.

Postgraduate Doctors and Dentists

* The current Postgraduate Doctor and Dentist category is a longstanding one which enables overseas doctors and dentists to come to the UK to train here for long periods. Doctors and dentists in non-training posts at the same grades as those covered by this category are currently considered under employment provisions and different requirements apply.
* Both the needs and the structure of the health service and medical training programmes have changed considerably since this category was introduced, as have the immigration provisions for overseas nationals who want to work in the UK. In addition, the number of places in UK medical and dental schools has increased, meaning that there are now more UK graduates seeking relevant training posts. There is therefore no longer a need for a specific category in the Immigration Rules to enable doctors and dentists who are overseas nationals to train in the UK for many years.
* These changes mean that only those doctors and dentists who have completed their medical or dental studies in the UK will be eligible for leave as a Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist, and then only to complete their two year Foundation Programme.
* Overseas doctors and dentists will still be able to train in the UK, but they will be considered to be in employment for immigration purposes and will need to meet the relevant requirements of the Immigration Rules, such as the work permit system.
* These changes have been prompted by a request from the Department of Health, given the needs and structure of the health service and medical training programmes. It will clarify the immigration provisions as there will no longer be different requirements for those in training and non-training posts at the same grade after the Foundation Programme. The Department of Health announced these changes to the medical community on 7 March.
* In addition, we have taken this opportunity to clarify the provisions for those undertaking periods of clinical attachment or dental observer posts in the UK, so that that maximum amount of leave better reflects the intention of these posts as being for short periods only. We have also included provisions for Postgraduate Doctors and Dentists to switch into leave as a Person Intending to Establish Themselves in Business, which has been stated in the Immigration Rules for Postgraduate Doctors and Dentists since July 2005.

Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (SEGS)

* The Chancellor's Pre Budget Report published on 5 December 2005 included the announcement of a provision to "allow all international students on completion of a postgraduate degree, or an undergraduate degree in a shortage sector, to work in the UK for up to 12 months" (section 3.101). We are updating the SEGS to reflect this provision.
* SEGS already enables overseas students who have been awarded an undergraduate degree (at 2:2 or above), Master's degree or PhD in a subject which is approved by the Department for Education and Skills for the purposes of this scheme to work in the UK for up to 12 months after their studies. They can switch into other immigration categories to continue to work in the UK beyond this 12 months.
* These changes apply to all Master's degree and PhD students commencing their studies in the UK on or after 1 May 2006. They will be eligible to apply for SEGS regardless of the subject they have studied. This new provision is part of measures the Government is taking to make the UK a more attractive study destination and to encourage more international students to come to the UK to study. There are separate provisions in place to enable those overseas students already studying in the UK to work here after their studies.

Students

* Whilst the 2004 Rules change (CM 6339) on switching by non-visa nationals has gone some way to moderate abuse, scope for misuse of the student route clearly persists in our switching arrangements. The Home Office is publicly committed to introducing mandatory entry clearance for students as part of the points-based system for managed migration in order to decrease opportunities for abuse and regularise the routes by which students enter the UK.
* Previously, non-visa nationals who were admitted to the UK as visitors could be granted leave as a student if they had been accepted on a course of degree level or above. All other visitors (visa nationals, and non-visa nationals accepted for courses below degree level) were prohibited from gaining leave as a student without having the necessary entry clearance. This change removes the more favourable Rules for non-visa national visitors who have been accepted for courses of degree level or above, so that they too must have entry clearance as a student or prospective student before they will be allowed to switch into the student category.
* Non-visa nationals who were granted leave to enter as a visitor before 1 July 2006 will not be subject to this Rules change and will continue to enjoy the same rights as before (defined under Rules change CM6339 which took effect on 1 October 2004).
* Non-visa nationals with prior leave to enter or remain except as visitors (and except for some other select categories listed in paragraph 60(i)(c)) will still be able to switch into the student category without requiring entry clearance as a student or prospective student, subject to having been accepted on a course of study of degree-level or above.
* Prospective students need to have sought prior entry clearance if they subsequently wish to switch to student status in the UK.
* We have also taken this opportunity to insert the transitional arrangements stemming from CM6339 into paragraph 60 (i).

Civil Partnership

* The changes to the Immigration Rules to include provision for civil partners came into effect on 5 December 2005. Due to an oversight, the term 'proposed civil partner' was not included in paragraph 284(i). In practice, applications have not been penalised because this term was not included but this amendment now brings 'proposed civil partners' in line with 'fiances'.

Overseas Nurses Programme

* In order to practice in the UK, all overseas qualified nurses must be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
* A nurse who holds an overseas nursing qualification may be required by the NMC to undertake a specified period of supervised practice or midwife adaptation training before they can be registered. Those individuals required by the NMC to complete a period of supervised practice or midwife adaptation training are admitted to the UK, or given leave to remain, under a permit-free employment category.
* At present, there is no provision within the Rules for an individual to switch immigration categories from a work permit holder to the Overseas Nurses Programme as a supervised practice nurse or midwife undertaking adaptation training. Some overseas qualified nurses enter the UK as work permit holders to work in the care sector but subsequently seek to undertake a period of supervised practice in order to take employment as a registered nurse in the NHS. Work Permits (UK) approved approximately 2,500 work permit applications for senior carers between April 2004 and March 2005.
* The NMC would like to be able to recruit overseas qualified nurses who are in the UK as work permit holders (e.g. senior carers) without the individual being required to leave the UK and apply for entry clearance.
* There is no policy reason for the Home Office to prevent work permit holders switching immigration status to supervised practice nurses. In October 2004 we did tighten up switching provisions to severely limit the exercise of discretion to authorise switching into employment categories. However, that was in the context of limiting switching from temporary migration routes to permanent ones. This is not the case here.

8.Impact
8.1 A Regulatory Impact Assessment has not been prepared for this Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules as it has no impact on business, charities or voluntary bodies.

9.Contact
9.1 Queries should be addressed to the Home Office's Immigration and Nationality Enquiry Bureau on telephone: 0870-6067766 or by e-mail: indpublicenquiries@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
With apologies for copying such a length of text but the IND website is soooooo slow![/quote]
John

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:17 pm

easylife4me wrote:http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... ion_1.html

sorry i m not able to post the screen short.
but This is what I can make out from the above press Release------for WP its 4 years and hsmp its 5 years .
So what will happen to people who were on Work permit before and then switched to HSMP. Are they elligible for ILR after four years (comnining HSMP and WP) or they will be elligible after 5 years??
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

aj77

Post by aj77 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:20 pm

Yes easylife4me is correct.

These paragraphs of New changes are noticeable.

134. Indefinite leave to remain may be granted, on application, to a person admitted as a work permit holder provided:

(i) he has spent a continuous period of 4 years in the United Kingdom in this capacity; and

(ii) he has met the requirements of paragraph 131, 131A, 131B, 131C, 131D, 131E or 131F throughout the 4 year period; and

(iii) he is still required for the employment in question, as certified by his employer

Leave to enter as a highly skilled migrant

135B. A person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a highly skilled migrant may be admitted for a period not exceeding 12 months, provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 135A is met

Extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant

135E. An extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant may be granted for a period not exceeding 3 years, provided that the Secretary of State is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 135D,135DA, 135DB, 135DC, 135DD, 135DE, 135DF, 135DG or 135DH is met

135G. Indefinite leave to remain may be granted, on application, to a person currently with leave as a highly skilled migrant, provided that he:

(i) he has spent a continuous period of 5 years in the United Kingdom in this capacity, or has had a continuous period of at least 5 years? leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom which is made up of periods of leave granted as a highly skilled migrant in accordance with paragraphs 135A to 135F of these Rules, as work permit holder under paragraphs 128 to 134 of these Rules, or as an Innovator under paragraphs 210A to 210H of these Rules; and

Now the question is how HSMP applicant will complete 5 years according to these changes as you ll get 12 months Extention on Entery Clearance

They also didn t mention from which date these changes will be effective.

I think we ll see soon some more abrupt changes like this.

Interestingly Guidance Notes and changes in immigration rules contradicts each other 's statements too
Last edited by aj77 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FKarim

Email to IND

Post by FKarim » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:36 pm

I have sent an email to the address at the bottom of John's excerpt from the IND website. Let's see what response I get. This address looks more appropriate because it is for IND, not for the HSMP Team. I don't think the HSMP team are relevant when it comes to visa or leave to remain. They are concerned only with approval/rejection of HSMP applications based on how many points they score.

abcd1

Post by abcd1 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:40 pm

So now it looks

WP = 4 yr
HSMP = 5 yr

expecting some more circus :oops:

FKarim

Post by FKarim » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:43 pm

I don't think WP=4, HSMP=5 can be true. Doesn't make any sense. Looks more like an irresponsible and incomplete update of information :)

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:43 pm

abcd1 wrote:So now it looks

WP = 4 yr
HSMP = 5 yr

expecting some more circus :oops:
or maybe they forgot to update either section :)

gidget
Newly Registered

Post by gidget » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:44 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the new statement of changes announced today? I have seen the explanatory memorandum... I just want to know what is going on!!

easylife4me

Post by easylife4me » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:45 pm

I guess everything will be clear after April 3rd.
This is so much frustrating that we are not getting the right information either way.
THANKS

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:45 pm

read aj77's post. That's the extract and relevent points
gidget wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the new statement of changes announced today? I have seen the explanatory memorandum... I just want to know what is going on!!

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:50 pm

It is the 1st April tomorrow, is HO trying to interpret that we are not intergrated enough to understand their humour?

gunslinger
Newly Registered

4-5 ILR

Post by gunslinger » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:51 pm

I think this is getting ridiculous!

The staff ath the HO do not have a clue whats happening (and could'nt care less!). Why can't they use plain English to describe how HSMP & WP holders will be affected?

The HSMP team states something, the public enquiries department states something else!

As with all other occupations, I guess migrants should run the home office. At least they do understand the system and care for migrants!

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:58 pm

ILR Team at HO would be facing redundancy now :lol: :lol: , as they don't have job for another year.

tvt

Post by tvt » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:02 pm

timefactor wrote:ILR Team at HO would be facing redundancy now :lol: :lol: , as they don't have job for another year.
They will simply be seconded to deal with FLR(IED) extension applications instead of SET(O) forms. No one is going to be made redundant there.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

aj77

Post by aj77 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:08 pm

Here is part of latest changes in Immigration rules

Section 1
I am here: Home > Laws & Policy > Immigration Rules > Part 5 > Section 1

WORK PERMIT EMPLOYMENT

Requirements for leave to enter the United Kingdom for work permit employment

128. The requirements to be met by a person coming to the United Kingdom to seek or take employment (unless he is otherwise eligible for admission for employment under these Rules or is eligible for admission as a seaman under contract to join a ship due to leave British waters) are that he:

(i) holds a valid Home Office work permit; and

(ii) is not of an age which puts him outside the limits for employment; and

(iii) is capable of undertaking the employment specified in the work permit; and

(iv) does not intend to take employment except as specified in his work permit; and

(v) is able to maintain and accommodate himself and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and

(vi) in the case of a person in possession of a work permit which is valid for a period of 12 months or less, intends to leave the United Kingdom at the end of his approved employment; and

(vii) holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity except where he holds a work permit valid for 6 months or less or he is a British National (Overseas), a British overseas territories citizen, a British Overseas citizen, a British protected person or a person who under the British Nationality Act 1981 is a British subject.

Leave to enter for work permit employment

129. A person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom for the purpose of work permit employment may be admitted for a period not exceeding the period of employment approved by the Home Office (as specified in his work permit), subject to a condition restricting him to that approved employment, provided he is able to produce to the Immigration Officer, on arrival, a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity or, where entry clearance is not required, provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 128(i)-(vi) is met.

Refusal of leave to enter for employment

130. Leave to enter for the purpose of work permit employment is to be refused if a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity is not produced to the Immigration Officer on arrival or, where entry clearance is not required, if the Immigration Officer is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 128(i)-(vi) is met.

Requirements for an extension of stay for work permit employment

131. The requirements for an extension of stay to seek or take employment (unless the applicant is otherwise eligible for an extension of stay for employment under these Rules) are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom with a valid work permit under paragraph 129; and

(ii) has written approval from the Home Office for the continuation of his employment; and

(iii) meets the requirements of paragraph 128 (ii)-(v).

131A. The requirements for an extension of stay to take employment (unless the applicant is otherwise eligible for an extension of stay for employment under these Rules) for a student are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a student in accordance with paragraphs 57 to 62 of these Rules; and

(ii) has obtained a degree qualification on a recognised degree course at either a United Kingdom publicly funded further or higher education institution or a bona fide United Kingdom private education institution which maintains satisfactory records of enrolment and attendance; and

(iii) holds a valid Home Office immigration employment document for employment; and

(iv) has the written consent of his official sponsor to such employment if he is a member of a government or international scholarship agency sponsorship and that sponsorship is either ongoing or has recently come to an end at the time of the requested extension; and

(v) meets each of the requirements of paragraph 128 (ii) to (vi).

131B. The requirements for an extension of stay to take employment (unless the applicant is otherwise eligible for an extension of stay for employment under these Rules) for a student nurse overseas qualified nurse or midwife, postgraduate doctor or postgraduate dentist are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a student nurse in accordance with paragraphs 63 to 69 of these Rules; or

(ia) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as an overseas qualified nurse or midwife in accordance with paragraphs 69M to 69R of these Rules; and

(ii) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a postgraduate doctor or a postgraduate dentist in accordance with paragraphs 70 to 75 of these Rules; and

(iii) holds a valid Home Office immigration employment document for employment as a nurse, doctor or dentist; and

(iv) has the written consent of his official sponsor to such employment if he is a member of a government or international scholarship agency sponsorship and that sponsorship is either ongoing or has recently come to an end at the time of the requested extension; and

(v) meets each of the requirements of paragraph 128 (ii) to (vi).

131C The requirements for an extension of stay to take employment for a Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme participant are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme participant in accordance with paragraphs 135O to 135T of these Rules; and

(ii) holds a valid Home Office immigration employment document for employment; and

(iii) meets each of the requirements of paragraph 128 (ii) to (vi).

131D.The requirements for an extension of stay to take employment (unless the applicant is otherwise eligible for an extension of stay for employment under these Rules) for a working holidaymaker are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom as a working holidaymaker in accordance with paragraphs 95 to 96 of these Rules; and

(ii) he has spent more than 12 months in total in the UK in this capacity; and

(iii) holds a valid Home Office immigration employment document for employment in an occupation listed on the Work Permits (UK) shortage occupations list; and

(iv) meets each of the requirements of paragraph 128 (ii) to (vi).

131E The requirements for an extension of stay to take employment for a highly skilled migrant are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a highly skilled migrant in accordance with paragraphs 135A to 135E of these Rules; and

(ii) holds a valid work permit; and

(iii) meets each of the requirements of paragraph 128(ii) to (vi).

131F The requirements for an extension of stay to take employment (unless the applicant is otherwise eligible for an extension of stay for employment under these Rules) for an Innovator are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as an Innovator in accordance with paragraphs 210A to 210E of these Rules; and

(ii) holds a valid Home Office immigration employment document for employment; and

(iii) meets each of the requirements of paragraph 128(ii) to (vi).

131G. The requirements for an extension of stay to take employment (unless the applicant is otherwise eligible for an extension of stay for employment under these Rules) for an individual who has leave to enter or leave to remain in the United Kingdom to take the PLAB Test or to undertake a clinical attachment or dental observer post are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain for the purposes of taking the PLAB Test in accordance with paragraphs 75A to 75F of these Rules; or

(ii) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain to undertake a clinical attachment or dental observer post in accordance with paragraphs 75G to 75M of these Rules; and

(iii) holds a valid Home Office immigration employment document for employment as a doctor or dentist; and

131H. The requirements for an extension of stay to take employment (unless the applicant is otherwise eligible for an extension of stay for employment under these Rules) in the case of a person who has leave to enter or remain as a Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participant are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participant in accordance with paragraphs 143A to 143F of these Rules; and

(ii) holds a valid Home Office immigration employment document for employment in Scotland; and

(iii) has the written consent of his official sponsor to such employment if the studies which led to him being granted leave under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme in accordance with paragraphs 143A to 143F of these Rules, or any studies he has subsequently undertaken, were sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency; and

Extension of stay for work permit employment

132.An extension of stay for work permit employment may be granted for a period not exceeding the period of approved employment recommended by the Home Office provided the Secretary of State is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraphs 131, 131A, 131B, 131C, 131D, 131E, 131F, 131G or 131H is met. An extension of stay is to be subject to a condition restricting the applicant to employment approved by the Home Office.

133.An extension of stay for employment is to be refused if the Secretary of State is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraphs 131, 131A, 131B, 131C, 131D, 131E, 131F, 131G or 131H is met (unless the applicant is otherwise eligible for an extension of stay for employment under these Rules).

(iii) he is still required for the employment in question, as certified by his employer.

Refusal of indefinite leave to remain for a work permit holder

135. Indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom for a work permit holder is to be refused if the Secretary of State is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 134 is met.

Highly skilled migrants

Requirements for leave to enter the United Kingdom as a highly skilled migrant

135A. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter as a highly skilled migrant are that the applicant:

(i) must produce a valid document issued by the Home Office confirming that he meets, at the time of the issue of that document, the criteria specified by the Secretary of State for entry to the United Kingdom under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme; and

(ii) intends to make the United Kingdom his main home; and

(iii) is able to maintain and accommodate himself and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and

(iv) holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.

Leave to enter as a highly skilled migrant

135B. A person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a highly skilled migrant may be admitted for a period not exceeding 12 months, provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 135A is met.

Refusal of leave to enter as a highly skilled migrant

135C. Leave to enter as a highly skilled migrant is to be refused if the Immigration Officer is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 135A is met.

Requirements for an extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant

135D. The requirements for an extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant, in the case of a person who was granted leave to enter under paragraph 135A, are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom with a valid United Kingdom entry clearance as a highly skilled migrant; and

(ii) has already taken during his period of leave all reasonable steps to become lawfully economically active in the United Kingdom in employment, self-employment or a combination of both; and

(iii) meets the requirements of paragraph 135A(i)-(iii).

135DA The requirements for an extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant in the case of a person who has leave to remain for work permit employment are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a work permit holder in accordance with paragraphs 128 to 132 of these Rules; and

(ii) meets the requirements of paragraph 135A (i)-(iii).

135DB The requirements for an extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant in the case of a person who has leave to remain as a student are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a student in accordance with paragraphs 57 to 62 of these Rules; and

(ii) has obtained a degree qualification on a recognised degree course at either a United Kingdom publicly funded further or higher education institution or a bona fide United Kingdom private education institution which maintains satisfactory records of enrolment and attendance; and

(iii) has the written consent of his official sponsor to remain as a highly skilled migrant if he is a member of a government or international scholarship agency sponsorship and that sponsorship is either ongoing or has recently come to an end at the time of the requested extension; and

(iv) meets the requirements of paragraph 135A(i)-(iii).

135DC. The requirements for an extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant in the case of a person who has leave to remain as a postgraduate doctor or postgraduate dentist or trainee general practitioner are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a postgraduate doctor or a postgraduate dentist or trainee general practitioner in accordance with paragraphs 70 to 75 of these Rules; and

(ii) has the written consent of his official sponsor to such employment if he is a member of a government or international scholarship agency sponsorship and that sponsorship is either ongoing or has recently come to an end at the time of the requested extension; and

(iii) meets the requirements of paragraph 135A(i)-(iii).

135DD The requirements for an extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant for a working holidaymaker are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom as a working holidaymaker in accordance with paragraphs 95 to 96 of these Rules; and

(ii) meets the requirements of paragraph 135A(i)-(iii).

135DE The requirements for an extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant for a participant in the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a participant in the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme in accordance with paragraphs 135O to 135T of these Rules; and

(ii) meets the requirements of paragraph 135A(i)-(iii)

135DF. The requirements for an extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant for an innovator are that the
applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as an innovator in accordance with paragraphs 210A to 210E of these Rules; and

(ii) meets the requirements of paragraph 135A(i)-(iii).

135DG. The requirements for an extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant in the case of a person who has leave to enter or leave to remain in the United Kingdom to take the PLAB Test or to undertake a clinical attachment are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain for the purposes of taking the PLAB Test in accordance with paragraphs 75A to 75F of these Rules; or

(ii) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain to undertake a clinical attachment in accordance with paragraphs 75G to 75M of these Rules; and

(iii) holds a valid document issued by the Home Office confirming that he meets, at the time of the issue of that document, the criteria specified by the Secretary of State for entry to the United Kingdom under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme under the priority application process for general practitioners; and

(iv) meets the requirements of paragraph 135A(ii)-(iii).

135DH. The requirements for an extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant in the case of a person who has leave to enter or remain as a Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participant are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom or was given leave to remain as a Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participant in accordance with paragraphs 143A to 143F of these Rules;
and

(ii) has the written consent of his official sponsor to such employment if the studies which led to him being granted leave under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme in accordance with paragraphs 143A to 143F of these Rules, or any studies he has subsequently undertaken, were sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency; and

(iii) meets the requirements of paragraph 135A(i)-(iii)."

Extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant

135E. An extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant may be granted for a period not exceeding 3 years, provided that the Secretary of State is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 135D,135DA, 135DB, 135DC, 135DD, 135DE, 135DF, 135DG or 135DH is met.

Refusal of extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant

135F. An extension of stay as a highly skilled migrant is to be refused if the Secretary of State is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 135D, 135DA, 135DB, 135DC, 135DD, 135DE, 135DF, 135DG or 135DH is met.

(ii) for the period of leave as a highly skilled migrant, has met the requirements of paragraph 135A (i)-(iii); and

(iii) for any period of leave not in this capacity, has not had recourse to public funds; and

(iv) is lawfully economically active in the United Kingdom in employment, self-employment or a combination of both.

Refusal of indefinite leave to remain as a highly skilled migrant

135H. Indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom to a person currently with leave as a highly skilled migrant is to be refused if the Secretary of State is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 135G is met.