ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 am

Congratulations.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 am

suzy101 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:Don't fret suzy101 I sense an approval is imminent. :wink:
Yes approval was indeed imminent. Thanks.
so it was approved? congrats

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:50 pm

dadageer I have split the post to here.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Last edited by TTOE on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Unfortunately, Immigration and Nationality applications are excluded from the 1974 Act.

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:07 pm

D4109125 wrote:Unfortunately, Immigration and Nationality applications are excluded from the 1974 Act.
I see! but how do you reconcile your statement with Section 3 - good character in the link below: "Spent"
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ngtheform/

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:09 pm

The website information is often outdated when it comes to the 'Good Character' requirement. Take a look at the Good Character Guidance. All convictions must be disclosed, failure to do so may be deemed as deception.

dadageer
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dadageer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi Amber, few months back I asked about my situation where I had a SP40 conviction back in 2006 and you said I should declare it. That SP40 initially was a FPN from Yorkshire Police but at that time I was on International license. I did send them my Int'l license but they returned saying they cannot endorse it and will seek court help (I did not challenge the FPN). Later court ordered a fine of £60 and a 3 pts penalty on my the then learner's license as I pleaded guilty by post.

I was reading all the posts and the discussion about SAR (PNC) etc. and then I realized after looking at the ACRO form that I actually applied for a ACRO SAR clearance back in 2009 (due to some employment) which I later submitted to the employer. I have a habit of scanning all important documents so I searched for old scans and found the ACRO certificate of 2009 which shows NO TRACE dated 02/04/2009. I haven't had any court conviction since 2006 so can I safely assume that I don't have any conviction against my name? if yes then should I still mention that court conviction?

Also, I was thinking of applying for a new ACRO certificate (as it is just £10) and then submit it with my application. Can we submit a ACRO PNC certificate to support our "Good character" requirement?

Thanks
Not all those who wander are lost...

dadageer
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dadageer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Sorry Amber, just read the Guidance p.27 sec 8.3 - Where the person has failed to disclose any (including minor) outstanding charges or convictions that would result in refusal of the application, the decision maker will normally refuse the application

So I will disclose that SP40 conviction..

Can I submit ACRO Police certificate to HO to satisfy Good Character requirements?

dadageer
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dadageer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:32 pm

D4109125 wrote:The website information is often outdated when it comes to the 'Good Character' requirement. Take a look at the Good Character Guidance. All convictions must be disclosed, failure to do so may be deemed as deception.

This guide is brilliant. I just read few pages and it answered quite a few questions in my head. I would urge fellow readers to go through it before raising any questions.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:39 pm

They're aware of the guidance and will complete their own checks just just declaring the conviction should suffice.

dadageer
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dadageer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:41 pm

D4109125 wrote:They're aware of the guidance and will complete their own checks just just declaring the conviction should suffice.
You mean no point submitting the ACRO certificate?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:32 pm

No.

dadageer
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dadageer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:32 pm

D4109125 wrote:No.
Thanks Amber.

Tuvoc

Post by Tuvoc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:41 pm

dadageer wrote:Sorry Amber, just read the Guidance p.27 sec 8.3 - Where the person has failed to disclose any (including minor) outstanding charges or convictions that would result in refusal of the application, the decision maker will normally refuse the application
The wording is in interesting:
"has failed to disclose any (including minor) outstanding charges or convictions that would result in refusal of the application the decision maker will normally refuse the application "

So if you failed to disclose something that had "expired", that if disclosed would not have affected the application, then according to a literal interpretation, that non-disclosure should not result in a refusal. But that would be stupid.

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Tuvoc wrote:
dadageer wrote:Sorry Amber, just read the Guidance p.27 sec 8.3 - Where the person has failed to disclose any (including minor) outstanding charges or convictions that would result in refusal of the application, the decision maker will normally refuse the application
The wording is in interesting:
"has failed to disclose any (including minor) outstanding charges or convictions that would result in refusal of the application the decision maker will normally refuse the application "

So if you failed to disclose something that had "expired", that if disclosed would not have affected the application, then according to a literal interpretation, that non-disclosure should not result in a refusal. But that would be stupid.

Anyway - pre 28/10 the form had you must disclose all spent and unspent convictions, post 28/10 the form now has disclose all convictions. "Spent and Unspent" removed completely :?

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Just wondering, why don't the HO remove this section of the form and make decisions based on all criminal convictions info of applicants available or visible to them. HO should decide individual cases based on the criminal info available to the HO. I suggest they take out this part of the form asking people to write info that may be used against their application.

When you apply for a credit card the outcome of your application will normally be based on your credit ref history available to the lenders.

For now you have to disclose all CC, sorry all.

Sibbs1
Newly Registered

Good character

Post by Sibbs1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi Everyone
My first time posting here.
My husband and I are due to apply for citizenship,but the following things have been holding us back.I am hoping you can shed some light;

In 2011-I took out an IVA which is still current.i have checked the AN Form and I am not sure where I should state this as the guidance pertains to Bankruptcy.Should I still go ahead and mention it anyway??all my payments are upto date on the IVA and I have never defaulted on the agreement.

In 2009:we sold one of our properties which is abroad to a couple who also reside here.The sale did not go to plan and it ended up that the couple took us to court and civil judgement was made against us and we had to pay them back.all the payments were completed in 2010.

We have done recent credit checks and this civil judgment does not come up at all-should we still declare it?do we stand a chance at all of getting this citizenship?
Your advice is greatly appreciated

Derivaz

Re: Good character

Post by Derivaz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Sibbs1 wrote:Hi Everyone
My first time posting here.
My husband and I are due to apply for citizenship,but the following things have been holding us back.I am hoping you can shed some light;

In 2011-I took out an IVA which is still current.i have checked the AN Form and I am not sure where I should state this as the guidance pertains to Bankruptcy.Should I still go ahead and mention it anyway??all my payments are upto date on the IVA and I have never defaulted on the agreement.

In 2009:we sold one of our properties which is abroad to a couple who also reside here.The sale did not go to plan and it ended up that the couple took us to court and civil judgement was made against us and we had to pay them back.all the payments were completed in 2010.

We have done recent credit checks and this civil judgment does not come up at all-should we still declare it?do we stand a chance at all of getting this citizenship?
Your advice is greatly appreciated
I think it will show in that country and I think you have to declare it, but since it's been more than 3 years, it has probably lapsed

Sibbs1
Newly Registered

Post by Sibbs1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks Derivaz for your prompt response.Just to clarify,the court was held here in the UK even though the issue was concerning a property abroad.

MattSule

Advice

Post by MattSule » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:57 am

I was convicted for 2 count of common assault in march 2010 (one conviction) and was given a community order and a fine thus a non-custodial sentence. I also have fixed penalty driving offences in 2005 and 2008 (the points have been removed from my licence). CCJ in 2012 but the CCJ has been settled and paid off in full. Every other areas of my application is solid except for the above. Do you think that i should declare the driving offences and CCJ. and do you think that my application is likely to be approved?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:49 am

Any convictions and CCJs must be declared. If the FPNs didn't involve the courts then no need to declare them.

MattSule

Post by MattSule » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:53 am

Many thanks for your quick response. what's your view on the overall application? any prospect of them granting it?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 am

Should be ok so long as you stay out of trouble.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 am

Should be ok so long as you stay out of trouble and meet the other standard requirements.