ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship timeline tracker.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Aceform
Member of Standing

Post by Aceform » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:46 am

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id= ... 8#g246.0.r

Applications for certificates of naturalisation from the persons referred to in the Deputy’s Question were received in the Citizenship Division of my Department in February 2007 and my predecessor decided to defer making any final decision on both applications until January 2011. The persons concerned were notified of this and the reasons for it in letters issued on 2 September, 2009. The applications are being re-processed in the normal way and will be re-submitted to me for decision in due course.

There is no reason why the decision was deferred for applications which were made in 2007. Maybe the others who are waiting for a decision is in same boat?

Aceform
Member of Standing

Post by Aceform » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 am

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id= ... s#g262.0.r

A valid application for a certificate of naturalisation from the person referred to in the Deputy’s Question was received in the Citizenship Division of my Department in November 2006. The application is being processed in the normal way with a view to establishing whether the applicant meets the statutory conditions for the granting of naturalisation and will be submitted to me for decision in due course. While the average time from application to decision is 26 months, processing requirements and time taken to carry out necessary checks vary from case to case.

This is one more 2006 applicant, still hasn't reached the minister for a decision.

Latan

Post by Latan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:55 am

.....a different politician was in charge of justice-section during 2006....

HOTSPURS

Post by HOTSPURS » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Latan wrote:.....a different politician was in charge of justice-section during 2006....

Who else? Our (Ex)Finance Minister Brian Lenihan was the then Justice Minister. In Jun 2008 Dermot Ahern took over from him. It's Brendon Smith now until Fine Gael or Labour TD comes along. I don't know how many more I'll come across before the Torture finally ends.

cocoa123

Post by cocoa123 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Citizenship waiting times, a lack of resources or a way of putting people off?
People in Ireland wait two years and often longer for their applications for citizenship to be processed. This is alot longer than most other countries, for example in New Zealand the waiting time is two months.
Answer the question and share you opinion about long citizenship processing times on Irish Integration Centre forum

http://www.integrationcentre.ie/Forums.aspx

shintaxyz
Newly Registered

Post by shintaxyz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Hope someone can help.

I recently applied for Naturalization but my fear now is, while i was in College in 2004 i claimed unemployment benefits. I called up SW this week only to be told i have overpayments of almost 4,000 euro. I am thinking of going to the SWO to see how to sort this out probably by paying weekly. Will this affect my application?

Thank you. :roll:

crown

Post by crown » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:24 pm

HOTSPURS wrote:
Latan wrote:.....a different politician was in charge of justice-section during 2006....

Who else? Our (Ex)Finance Minister Brian Lenihan was the then Justice Minister. In Jun 2008 Dermot Ahern took over from him. It's Brendon Smith now until Fine Gael or Labour TD comes along. I don't know how many more I'll come across before the Torture finally ends.
I do not think this is right. The then minister of Justice was Michael McDowell. It was under him that the backlog started and accumulated so much. He was never the friend of the immigrant. He was voted out during the last elections - 2007

Crown

Latan

Post by Latan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:19 am

...i've read that MACDowell is making a "come-back"...for the FG-party- more of the same !!

HOTSPURS

Post by HOTSPURS » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:50 am

crown wrote:
HOTSPURS wrote:

I do not think this is right. The then minister of Justice was Michael McDowell. It was under him that the backlog started and accumulated so much. He was never the friend of the immigrant. He was voted out during the last elections - 2007

Crown
You're right. Brian Lenihan was Justice Minister from June 2007 until May 2008 & his predecessor was Michael McDowell. Let's inform the Immigrant voters to beware of this guy !

Abdul-w-A
Newly Registered

Post by Abdul-w-A » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I wonder if someone could give me an insight on this, particularly if they are spouses of Irish Citizens. I recieved a letter today asking for bills from the last three months with my name and my wife's name on them. no request for any other documents. I applied in April 2008. does anyone know if this is a common practice and if so does that mean its nearly finalised or is it gonna be more months and months after I submmit them.

Any information is highly appreciated.

Good luck to everyone

A

IntheQ
Newly Registered

Post by IntheQ » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Abdul-w-A wrote:Hello everyone,

I wonder if someone could give me an insight on this, particularly if they are spouses of Irish Citizens. I recieved a letter today asking for bills from the last three months with my name and my wife's name on them. no request for any other documents. I applied in April 2008. does anyone know if this is a common practice and if so does that mean its nearly finalised or is it gonna be more months and months after I submmit them.

Any information is highly appreciated.

Good luck to everyone

A
Its quiet strange because spouses of Irish Citizens usually get their answers in 12-18 months. Most of Early-Mid 2008 Applicants have already received their citizenship even those who are not spouses of Irish Citizens.

They probably want to ensure that the marriage is genuine or they could be just delaying some applicants based on their nationalities as someone already suggested.

You need to push them and ask what's the reason so long delay in you application.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:42 am

Latan wrote:...i've read that MACDowell is making a "come-back"...for the FG-party- more of the same !!
Michael McDowell was with the PD party previously not FG.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:11 pm

IntheQ wrote:Its quiet strange because spouses of Irish Citizens usually get their answers in 12-18 months.
Where did you get this figure? From the figures in http://www.editgrid.com/user/scrudu/citizenship_apps, of spouses of Irish citizens who have received a decision, the average processing time is 22 mths, but this average masks the long waiting times experienced by some spouses of Irish citizens (max 34 mths).
UserName --> Country of Origin --> App Date --> Decision --> Date --> Grant Decision --> Months to decision
  1. Tigerwoods --> --> Jun-07 --> Apr-10 --> Granted --> 34
  2. A. Milic --> Serbia --> Feb-08 --> Sep-10 --> Granted --> 31
  3. Jakes26 --> South Africa --> Mar-08 --> Sep-10 --> Granted --> 30
  4. Fionn --> --> Feb-08 --> May-10 --> Granted --> 27
  5. samol --> Jul-08 --> May-10 --> Granted --> 22
  6. Piksie India --> Oct-09 --> May-10 --> Granted --> 7
  7. JJ South Africa --> Jan-10 --> May-10 --> Granted --> 4
For spouses of Irish citizens who have not yet received a decision, the waiting time is about 23 mths (max 34 mths)
UserName --> Country of Origin --> App Date --> Decision --> Date --> Grant Decision --> Months in queue
  1. Simone --> Pakistan --> Apr-08 --> 34
  2. bored-waiting --> South Africa --> Jul-08 --> 31
  3. fattypatty --> Pakistan --> Aug-08 --> 30
  4. cancion --> Ukraine --> Oct-08 --> 28
  5. Alisa --> Russia --> Nov-08 --> 27
  6. Nailbiter --> South Africa --> Jan-09 --> 25
  7. ChIRL wife --> --> Oct-09 --> 16
  8. Prasetiyo --> Indonesia --> Nov-09 --> 15
  9. tiredmum --> South Africa --> Dec-09 --> 14
  10. AWA --> Syria --> Apr-10 --> 10

Abdul-w-A
Newly Registered

Thanks to both replies

Post by Abdul-w-A » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Spot on thanks guys.

Ive been waiting 34 months so I guess it cant be much longer.
Last edited by Abdul-w-A on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:46 pm

From the spreadsheet it looks like some applicants who applied in end 2008 and one person from early 2009 on the basis of 5 yrs on workpermit/work visa have also got a decision on their application!
However, some of the data in the spreadsheet seems incorrect.
e.g. i got my decision in end 2008 and naturalisation cert in early 2009, but the spreadsheet says otherwise, so Im not sure somewhere along the way some of the data has got changed

still waiting

Re: Thanks to both replies

Post by still waiting » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Abdul-w-A
Spot on thanks guys.

Ive been waiting 34 months so I guess it cant be much longer.

Dear Abdul,
just send the doc. what DoJ wants, by ur previous post it seems rheir main aim is to check whether u both husband and wife are living together as u might aware some people do fraud marriages
u might b very near to ur final stage of approval
gud luck [/b]

SureSir
Newly Registered

Post by SureSir » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi All,

I would like to know if any of you could myabe offer me some assistance or advise. :cry:

I am a IT Professional who came to Ireland on an IT Work Authorization on 08 June 2001. I applied for Irish Citizenship based on working 5 years in Ireland as a IT professional and my timelines of the application was as follows:

Applied: August 2006 based on 5 years residency and work permit.
Acknowledgement received October 2006.
Further below documents requested September 2009
1. A copy of your Notice of Assessment for last year 2008.
2. A copy of your current Tax Clearance Certificate.
3. A copy of your current Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) card.
Further documents submitted: October 2009

The other day I received a letter to inform me my application was not approved based on the reasons stated in the letter. I am of good character and always abide the law. I integrated well and have great Irish friends and a Irish girlfriend of almost 9 years. My long term plan is too live in Ireland and contribute positively to the growth of Ireland which I already do. Please allow me to explain the two incidents in the letter/reasons why I was not granted citizenship:

The first incident was a misunderstanding with me and the Gardai when a plain clothed Gardai grabbed me from behind as I was busy drawing money from an ATM and tried to searched me without identifying himself as Gairdai. I refused for him to search me as I thought it was one of my friends who asked this gentleman to prank me. I eventually resisted arrest as I did not allow the Gardai to search me as I am a law abiding citizen with respect for the law. I eventually went to court and the case was Strucked Out with no offense against me.

The second incident I was with my friend (an Irish born Citizen) at a concert at the RDS and my friend was smoking canabis (I was even unaware that he was smoking canabis) and the Gardai thought I smoked as well which I did not. He then took my details and I thought it was the end of the story. To my suprise in the letter from the minister it refered to the incident again. It states INCIDENT TYPE = Simple Possession. ROLE = Suspected offender. DETAILS = No subsequent action recorded pertaining to this incident.

I would never break the law as I knew what was in steak for me.

I would like to know if you could advise me and what my options can be i.e. Should I appeal and how can I go about to do it successfully etc. I went to the solicitors and below is the reply they gave me

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

I refer to your earlier email and note the content of the attached letter in which your application for Naturalisation as an Irish citizen was refused. I also note that we discussed your case at length on the phone yesterday for which you paid a consultation fee. As mentioned I advised you I would send a summary email relating to our consultation.

You were refused naturalisation based on the fact that you came to the adverse attention of the Gardai and the Minister is in fact entitled to exercise his discretion and can recommend that you should not be declared to be an Irish citizen. While it is true that you did come to the adverse attention of the Gardai on two occasions, you claim that you were neither charged or arrested and court proceedings against you for resisting arrest were struck out.

You claim that a plain clothes garda attempted to arrest you without identifying himself. You thought it was a prank. In fact you state that the Court was aware that this was a misunderstanding and that in fact the Garda who attempted to arrest you later became your friend and accepted the misunderstanding.

You later claim that in 2007 your friend was smoking marijuana and the gardai accused you of the same act. You claim that you were not smoking the drug and that you explained this to the Gardai. You have been listed as a suspected offender but no action was taken.

So in a nutshell, it seems that you did come to the attention of the Gardai but that you were never charged. You were not given the opportunity to address this issue and to give your side of the story or an explanation as to how events actually transpired. You want to appeal this decision.

I advised you that there is technically no appeal for Citizenship refusals. However an appeal of any decision can be made depending on the circumstances - for example if there was an error as to fact or details that the Minister based his decision on were incorrect etc. With your case, it appears that the Minister reached a conclusion without fully investigating the circumstances. I am afraid that this is normal and happens quite often. It is also very difficult to get leave to challenge such cases in court and the client certainly risks the possibility of a costs order going against them. There is also the issue that the Minister has a wide discretion in such cases.

I also advised you that if you wished to make a new application, you must be legally and continuously resident in Ireland for the year prior to submitting the application. One option is for you to reapply next year when you return to Ireland and have been continuously residing for one year. Alternatively we could attempt to address the reasons for which you were refused naturalisation. This may not have any impact on the Minister's decision and we would need to provide hard evidence to back up your case. We would also need to make a personal statement of events from you and a supporting affidavit. We would be asking the Minister to re-consider his decision however we may be advised to re-submit an application. In any case, by addressing the problems now, we may be assisting in any application for naturalisation that you may wish to make in the future.

Obviously it can be difficult to act as solicitor to someone who is not residing in the jurisdiction. Upon your instructions we may however make an appeal however I will need a copy of your file, documents, letters from any previous solicitors, letters to and from the Dept of Justice and Law Reform, references, Statement from the Gardai who assisted you, copy of any court orders (if you have these) a sworn Affidavit from you and a personal statement.

As mentioned we would expect that an initial payment of €900 plus VAT and outlay would be necessary in this matter. Upon your instructions we could open a file for you in the office and contact the dept in respect of appealing the decision refusing your application.

You might let me have your further instructions. For now I would like to thank you for contacting Brophy Solicitors and for your payment of €100 for a consultation fee.

Kind regards

Solicitor XXXX

Abdul-w-A
Newly Registered

already done that

Post by Abdul-w-A » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi,

I'm just back from the post office. sent them all they wanted and much more including bank statements with both names (joint account) loads of bills p60, payslips, letter signed by me and my wife. My wife also sent them her pregnancy book (due in March) we already have one child who goes to school at this stage.

you might be right regarding their suspicion but it is really pathetic strategy by INIS to generalise.

how could they think it could be sham if they already know we have a child? Could they not have asked for these docs a year ago or two? :shock:

I'm not half as bothered as my wife who is absolutely disgusted by what she believe is an insult to our family by INIS. :x

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:22 am

strongbow wrote:However, some of the data in the spreadsheet seems incorrect.
e.g. i got my decision in end 2008 and naturalisation cert in early 2009, but the spreadsheet says otherwise, so Im not sure somewhere along the way some of the data has got changed
Strongbow: If any of your data is incorrect please update yourself. I have no idea why someone would change it. A possibility is that you entered the data in the wrong format (e.g 07-2008 for Jul-2008, whereas 07-08 results in Jul-2011)?

lsum
Newly Registered

Post by lsum » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:45 am

Anyone knows how long after the yellow form submission does it take to receive the naturalisation certification? Can they still reject the naturalisation process at this stage, say if the new govt gets sworn in?

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:44 pm

scrudu wrote:
strongbow wrote:However, some of the data in the spreadsheet seems incorrect.
Strongbow: If any of your data is incorrect please update yourself. I have no idea why someone would change it. A possibility is that you entered the data in the wrong format (e.g 07-2008 for Jul-2008, whereas 07-08 results in Jul-2011)?
Done!

aswadref

Post by aswadref » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:56 pm

lsum
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:45 am Post subject:
Anyone knows how long after the yellow form submission does it take to receive the naturalisation certification? Can they still reject the naturalisation process at this stage, say if the new govt gets sworn in?

i hope not i am in the same boat as you when did u send ur yellow for i send mine on 14th jan

Aceform
Member of Standing

Post by Aceform » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:18 am

lsum wrote:Anyone knows how long after the yellow form submission does it take to receive the naturalisation certification? Can they still reject the naturalisation process at this stage, say if the new govt gets sworn in?
Not a chance

lsum
Newly Registered

Post by lsum » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:17 pm

posted mine in the first week of january, so not far from yours.
hopefully the impending political change does not cause any hiccups.
i wonder if everything will be delayed until a new MoJ is appointed ?

adura

Post by adura » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:39 pm

I submitted my yellow form exactly 2weeks ago..thot they said before 6weeks we would get a response...early days i hope..
Those that submitted in January any news yet???????

Update us please
God makes all things beautiful