ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes Very soon in Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 pm

GUYZ!

Dont apply for early extensions. Complete waste of money and time.

Nionlight, please inform everyone accordingly as you suggested this route.

THe rules are out in parliment on 9th March. IF you dont believe the email then better wait until Monday.

Its a shame that only one of us got a reply from MP.

Please sign the petition anyway. Increases our bargaining power!

timesofindia

Post by timesofindia » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:27 pm

How did you find out that rules will be out on 9th March?
Is this for sure?

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:29 pm

confusedhsmp wrote:GUYZ!

THe rules are out in parliment on 9th March. IF you dont believe the email then better wait until Monday.

dear confused i would definitly suggest every one not to apply early if we can see the rules publshed. its just my personal opinion that, i dont trust this cal center officials because they always tell different things when you call different times. i myself witnesse this. and one intereting point how is it possible that the home office offcials is saying it will not effect us where as the law still doesnt exist? as you correctly said this bill will go to parlament on 9th march it means its not official yet isnt it? then hoe come home office officils saying that without the law even been passed in the parlamnet?

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:35 pm

nionlight wrote:
confusedhsmp wrote:GUYZ!

dear confused i would definitly suggest every one not to apply early if we can see the rules publshed. its just my personal opinion that, i dont trust this cal center officials because they always tell different things when you call different times. i myself witnesse this. and one intereting point how is it possible that the home office offcials is saying it will not effect us where as the law still doesnt exist? as you correctly said this bill will go to parlament on 9th march it means its not official yet isnt it? then hoe come home office officils saying that without the law even been passed in the parlamnet?
I cant comment on legal aspect of it, but definitley sure that the HO cant confirm on such issues without proper instructions from top level.

Regarding the law, the HO has played a trick where they have put down the law as applicants requiring to qualify for point under categories, and the secondary law states what the point would be for. You need to read the HSMP Human Rights report to the House of Lords for this. Such secondary laws dont require prior consultation.

BUt yes, lets wait until 9th anyway.

RMP
Newly Registered

Post by RMP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:39 pm

NionLight

I do not agree with you. Even in the announcement, nowhere has this been mentioned that the changes will be applied to the current hsmp holders. This has just been our speculation and panic that we all ave created here.

Now when even the home office officials have clarified that the new rules will not be applied to current hsmp holders ( some of us have got written confirmation too) it is very clear that probably there will not be any proposal for new rules to be applied to the existing hsmp holders at all when this will be presented in the parliament.

When I spoke to the home office call cetner, they repeated the same statement word to word , that some of our friends have received in an email. This makes it very clear that they have an official information.

I personally will trust more on what a home office official told me than on what people write here.

My suggestion to everyone is to speak to an official before making any move. I would not suggest anyone wasting money like we did.

Cheers

R

umanghere

Post by umanghere » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:40 pm

the original wording of the statement said

"tighten new criteria against which highly skilled migrants seeking entry to the United Kingdom are judged, by raising the qualifications and salary required for tier 1 (General) of the PBS to a Master's degree and a minimum salary of £20,000."

"what further changes there should be to the criteria for tier 1 in 2010/11, given the changing economic circumstances."

So actually it never spoke about people who are already here in the UK-just said that for sure its for new applications.

That is what the HO is confirming now by emails/phone to people.

however keep in mind that more changes can happen as per statement above in future.

For now as agreed by most of us(but few) it is NOT for people already in the UK under HSMP.

h_s_m_p

Post by h_s_m_p » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Hello,

I got my TIER 1 GENERAL visa valid from sept 2008 - sept 2011. I had been to uk once during jan 2009 for 10 days. What will happen after sept 2011. I don't have masters degree. Will there be any problem for me during the extension period.

I could see lot of ppl have posted email clarifications but still i got some doubt about TIER 1 ppl. Could you please let me know clearly.Will there be any problem for me during the extension period.

psdesai
BANNED

Post by psdesai » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Could you please let us know the home office number that you have called?

thx
RMP wrote:NionLight

I do not agree with you. Even in the announcement, nowhere has this been mentioned that the changes will be applied to the current hsmp holders. This has just been our speculation and panic that we all ave created here.

Now when even the home office officials have clarified that the new rules will not be applied to current hsmp holders ( some of us have got written confirmation too) it is very clear that probably there will not be any proposal for new rules to be applied to the existing hsmp holders at all when this will be presented in the parliament.

When I spoke to the home office call cetner, they repeated the same statement word to word , that some of our friends have received in an email. This makes it very clear that they have an official information.

I personally will trust more on what a home office official told me than on what people write here.

My suggestion to everyone is to speak to an official before making any move. I would not suggest anyone wasting money like we did.

Cheers

R

RMP
Newly Registered

Post by RMP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:46 pm

PSDESAI - Number I called is 08706067766. Please bear in mind that it is open only until 16;45. Also it is usually busy if it connects. please be patient and wait till they connect you because they put you on the queque for long.

h_s_m_p - No clarification for current tier 1 holders. i would not speculate anything but would call them and confirm if I were in your place.

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi all,

I have been constantly investigating this matter throughout for the past 3-4 days. I was completly stressed by the whole situation.

My efforts were:

1. I called up HOME office which i mentioned in my posts earlier, and HO told that they were not aware of the changes would it effect on existent applicant or not.

2. I myself emailed so many times to Homeoffice, and still waiting for their reply.

3. I even emailed to my area MP, but did not get any reply from him.

All efforts were vere kind of dissappointing.

Today after seeing the RMP reply, i called up HO again and after 10 minutes waiting, the lady who picked up the phone, did not listen to even my complete query. As soon as i said, "i am on HSMP". She asked me my visa expiry date and started by saying " Sir, you will be treated under OLD RULES". I confirmed with her twice and thrice with all my doubts and she said, "You will be certainly treated under old rules. Your application is an extension application not an initial application to Tier1 annd new rules will be applied for new migrants only. You should apply 5-6 week before, when your visa get expired".

Though i did not ask her any written confirmation, which i should, but isn't it fine that now they are ascertain about the rules. I am bit relieved after heariing all this.

Let's see now.

Gob00st

Post by Gob00st » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:47 pm

h_s_m_p wrote:Hello,

I got my TIER 1 GENERAL visa valid from sept 2008 - sept 2011. I had been to uk once during jan 2009 for 10 days. What will happen after sept 2011. I don't have masters degree. Will there be any problem for me during the extension period.

I could see lot of ppl have posted email clarifications but still i got some doubt about TIER 1 ppl. Could you please let me know clearly.Will there be any problem for me during the extension period.
PPl have already mentioned in previous post that Tier 1 holder need to call UKBA regarding this issue.

So call this number 0870 606 7766 and ask if new changes will be applied to existing Tier 1 VISA holder.

Gob00st

Post by Gob00st » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:52 pm

timesofindia wrote:How did you find out that rules will be out on 9th March?
Is this for sure?
Can any one could post source please?
I didn't find anything on the UK parliament website regarding this either.
Thanks.

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:56 pm

jimmymcad wrote:Hi all,

I have been constantly investigating this matter throughout for the past 3-4 days. I was completly stressed by the whole situation.

My efforts were:

1. I called up HOME office which i mentioned in my posts earlier, and HO told that they were not aware of the changes would it effect on existent applicant or not.

2. I myself emailed so many times to Homeoffice, and still waiting for their reply.

3. I even emailed to my area MP, but did not get any reply from him.

All efforts were vere kind of dissappointing.

Today after seeing the RMP reply, i called up HO again and after 10 minutes waiting, the lady who picked up the phone, did not listen to even my complete query. As soon as i said, "i am on HSMP". She asked me my visa expiry date and started by saying " Sir, you will be treated under OLD RULES". I confirmed with her twice and thrice with all my doubts and she said, "You will be certainly treated under old rules. Your application is an extension application not an initial application to Tier1 annd new rules will be applied for new migrants only. You should apply 5-6 week before, when your visa get expired".

Though i did not ask her any written confirmation, which i should, but isn't it fine that now they are ascertain about the rules. I am bit relieved after heariing all this.

Let's see now.
I am myself relieved.

I work in a City Law firm and all the immigration advisors, including one of the top barristers of UK, confirmed me that it wouldnt apply to current holders basing on the press release. But I didnt put much trust on them.

Sscot and myslef did put up some posts informing people that it may not apply logically and the confirmation we got from Customer Advisors. But there was always this "otherwise" argument, which is fair.

In the end, we still need to be togther as i believe future Tier 1 applicants may face some trouble in 2011. They might need our support.

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Agreed, and honestly i am relieved now. As this time, HO tone seemed very authentic to me like she was reading from somewhere.

RMP
Newly Registered

Post by RMP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:09 pm

I am sad, we lost the fee amount. I understand, we just did it in a haste. But I am very glad, that my post could give a different direction to this discussion and many people have confirmed themselves and are relaxed now.

Now I understand it is so important to contribute to the community rather than just being a silent listener. After all we are all in the same boat.

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Yes, a bit sad for your fee.

But, RMP, i should have said Thanks to you. "Thanks for your post" and let us stay together.

h_s_m_p

Post by h_s_m_p » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Gob00st wrote:
h_s_m_p wrote:Hello,

PPl have already mentioned in previous post that Tier 1 holder need to call UKBA regarding this issue.

So call this number 0870 606 7766 and ask if new changes will be applied to existing Tier 1 VISA holder.
I think the business hour is over today. I will wait for the final verdict on 09th. In the mean time if anyone come across any updates regarding TIER 1 please share it here. It will be a huge relief for someone like me.

RMP
Newly Registered

Post by RMP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:21 pm

And I should say thanks to HSMPQueries and lysergik, who posted their replies from HO.

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:23 pm

[quote="smiley82"]I received this email from UK Work Permits yesterday, seems the new rules apply to everyone....including myself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We now know that the changes will also apply to those currently holding HSMP status who will need to extend their stay from 31st March 2009 (in addition to those making first applications).!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Home Office announces tightening up of visa rules

The Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, recently announced that the Government plans to “raise the barâ€

umanghere

Post by umanghere » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:31 pm

got reply just now !

it also clarifies for Tier One applicant as well.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Proposed changes to the requirements for Points Based System Tier 1 (General) and Tier 2 were announced by the Home Secretary recently, and are expected to come into effect for applications made on or after 31st March 2009. Details of the announcement can be found on the UK Border Agency website at:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... oughertest

Applicants who currently have leave to remain under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme, Writers, Artists, Composers or Self Employed Lawyers categories, and are applying to extend their leave to remain in the UK in Tier 1 (General) will not be affected by the changes announced by the Home Secretary.

Applicants who currently have leave to remain as a Tier 1 (General) migrant will not be affected by the change when they apply for further leave to remain.

Yours faithfully,

Rez Jason

Immigration Group

UK Border Agency

If you intend to reply to this e-mail please ensure that you re-send all the information from your original enquiry.

robdylan

Post by robdylan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:36 pm

umanghere wrote:got reply just now !

it also clarifies for Tier One applicant as well.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Proposed changes to the requirements for Points Based System Tier 1 (General) and Tier 2 were announced by the Home Secretary recently, and are expected to come into effect for applications made on or after 31st March 2009. Details of the announcement can be found on the UK Border Agency website at:

Applicants who currently have leave to remain under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme, Writers, Artists, Composers or Self Employed Lawyers categories, and are applying to extend their leave to remain in the UK in Tier 1 (General) will not be affected by the changes announced by the Home Secretary.

Applicants who currently have leave to remain as a Tier 1 (General) migrant will not be affected by the change when they apply for further leave to remain.

Yours faithfully,

Rez Jason

Immigration Group

UK Border Agency

If you intend to reply to this e-mail please ensure that you re-send all the information from your original enquiry.
I just got mine too!

Dear Mr XXXX,

Yours sincerely,

Hannah Collins
Immigration Group

indian_uk

Post by indian_uk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:42 pm

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Guys no need to worry,as its confirmed that nothing happened to existing hsmp holders,but it looks that some guys wants to keep tension for no reason,plenty of emails proved clearly all.

SO please finish this speculations,there is no need to sign or file any petition,as like this we are pushing for something which is not even done by HO.

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:04 pm

I think there will be plenty of speculation until the rules become formal public knowledge, i.e. when the information appears on the website or other formal document from the UKBA. It's only human nature after all...

frrana

Confused pst study worker

Post by frrana » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:45 am

Hello everyone

I want to ask people whether going from post-study worker to Tier 1 ( general) is switching, new application or something else?

Anybody got idea whether this affects us or not considering i dont have master's degree.

:oops: :?