ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR postal applications (excluding 10/14 yr.)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

oluwa112

MP Query

Post by oluwa112 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Please can anyone show me any links or some sorta evidence that UKBA has to respond to an MP within a certain time.

Like seriously, MP or shall I say MP's Assistant sends me a later from December 2009 and it is now Feb 12th 2010 and its ok for the MP's Office to still be waiting for a response?

And the worst part of all this is that My MP apparently doesn't even accept appointments for immigration based issues. So my only go to person is this Damn Useless assistant i have to keep talking to. I am Fed up of talking to him!

oluwa112

Re: my illlllllllllrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Post by oluwa112 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Has it been 6 months already? The UKBA strictly state that for 2010 that you are not allowed to make contact until after 6 months. I spoke to my solicitor yesterday and they confirmed this. After 6 months you are allowed to take action.

If it's less than 6 months I don't think your attitude is going to help any. Why do people think shouting and making threats is going to help your case? Why the urgency, if you're legally in this country you will already have a job and your current visa is still valid? Why the need to get your MP involved? Stop and think, is there anything at all which may have caused the UKBA to take longer time to consider your case? Is there something you may have forgotten?

To settle in the UK is a privilege NOT a right. You'll do best to remember that next time you want to shout and make threats.

Honestly I don't understand ...
Slow your Roll... I don't think the last poster is saying that settlement in the UK is a right, but surely if you paid some £800 or even the premium over £1000 fee, being able to get a progress or application status or maybe something as basic as a decision (positive or Negative) is should be RIGHT as far as i am concerned cos we have Paid for that Application Processing. But we are kept in the Dark.

Clearly the person is frustrated they have been waiting a while, we all deal with things differently. I have actually waited Longer than the previous poster, 6 months and 4days to be precise. But it is frustrating that they hold on and seat on applications for what seems to be forever. Its not about having anything to hide. I don't see why those of US that have Paid to remain Legal over the years and continuously proved that we are not a drain on the system have to suffer like this with this wait *Not saying illegals are a drain on the system* but we took every step to remain up to date with our status. We have nothing to Hide. If its a Criminal Record Bureau check that they want, I don't mind I will pay the fee, get it done in 2wks and hand the result to them if that is what they need to to make a decision.

Also its not just about work permit people, some of us came here for our education. I speak for myself. I came here when i was 14 going on 15.
3 years secondary school
2 years a levels
4 yrs University Degree *included a sandwich year, thank God I didn't go work abroad, so happy I found a Job in the UK... :) cos my 10yrs Lawful Residence wlda been broken the moment I went away cos i wld not be back till placement was over)
1.5 years for a Masters Degree

so now look at a history like mine, Been here in the UK for 10yrs but on a student Visa, do you think i could remain working on that? Well the answer is No I cant. cos I am no longer studying so i am no longer eligible to work, and I aint gonna be breaking any immigration Laws. I know that PSW is open to me but why should i waste money 2ice and with laws changing Next year I didn't want to get caught up in all that.

If you noticed I emphasis making a decision rather than saying issue us the ILR. Cos I agree with you that Approving our Settlement is indeed a privilege. But Till them Keeping us in the dark is Just NOT RIGHT.

Also You made another point about being able to take action after a 6 month wait, can you please advise me on how to go about this as I have passed the 6 months wait and I can definitely feel that i am running out of my cool and patience already. Any info on that will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

taylondon

Post by taylondon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:49 pm

I think the Kiwigirl is a bit right saying that. but Kiwigirl also should think about the other side of the story.
She is quite right by asking Why is this all rush about? we are not going to die if we do not get our application decided within a time limit. most of the applicants are legal in the country, have got jobs etc.

the only rush is people want to see their future more clearly. I got working visa valid until for another 2-3 years yes I am legal and fine.

I am waiting ILR under the 10 years long residence rule. If I had my ILR I would have gone to university as a home student. but currently without ILR, I got to pay around £10.000 year which I cannot do that.

If I had my ILR and studied 2 years dental hygiene course I would be a hygienist by 2012 before my working visa expired. It would have saved huge 2 years of my life

The tension here is the physiological effect of the waiting times go more than 3-4 months, that makes people bit rushy in a way of thinking and acting.

and you might call it privilage to have settlement in the country but this privilage is being given to me by immigration laws not by a person or group

oluwa112

Post by oluwa112 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:41 pm

@Taylondon

Like you say everyone has a background and to be honest, do you really think that people feeling anxious about waiting 3 - 6 months and over is rushing when they give 14wks wait and those that applied in other SET O categories have got feedback and they applied well after those of us in the Lawful 10 year Category?

Like you say our life is on Hold. Just like you U cant start your Dentistry Course, I cant seek work. Some have plans and engagement abroad they they can not go to till they get their passport back. Really You cant make plans for 2moro till they have gotten back to us.

Forums like this help us to vent our frustration on the wait. as well as seek support from each other.

foxy

Post by foxy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Solving all these waiting times should be fairly simple. New guidelines should be issued by Govt. that payment for the application should ONLY be taken once the application passes to a caseworker and will be given due consideration such that a decision can be taken.

At the moment what is very likely happening is that applications are received, payment is taken within 24 hours (they have enough staff for this), then the application goes into a pile and just sits there. I do not believe there is a genuine queue - this is an artificial queue created so that applicants have to wait a minimum of 4-5 months before the application even gets forwarded to a caseworker. Inevitably what happens is that some people have urgent travels that come up, ask for their passport back etc. Some give up and some reapply later (thus doubling the fees and also leaving them exposed to new harsher rules).

If the new guidelines were that they only get their money once they start processing as it should be, then I believe we would see a rather drastic fall in waiting times. Otherwise, paying £800 up front for a default wait time is like giving away interest income to the UKBA - one could therefore argue this is just another way of inflating the fees and thus could be regarded as an additional tax.

Having said all this, it is VERY unlikely any of the above would be reformed because immigrants in this country are the devil's spawn. Even though most non EU nationals only pay tax and receive zero benefits. Still we're a bunch to be vilified and viewed as a drain on the resources. I can only wonder: what if the majority of us were white?

apagun
Newly Registered

Post by apagun » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:42 pm

well i think you all can understand,our lives had been on standstill and nobody is there to tell us when we will get a result.even if aperson is sentenced to death you should let them know when they will be executed.Why cant we have a progress update ?there is no right anywhere even beng on earth today is a privilege and not a right so damn the limitation to being settled.I just think this treatment is unfair and we need to explore all avenue to find a solution to it as life itself is a matter of trial and error.If i suceed in my endeavour, i put it on here and other people can follow suit dts why i m so shocked by the contribution of that fellow.
Please lets keep briefing each other about our steps then we can know what to do.

well,i go a call from my MP's office today nd the lady toldme she will take it up from there . atleast i m happy someone has shown interest.probably my gamble will pay off soon.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Oooh it all kicked off after I left :o

I didn't realise the OP had paid a premium fee and wouldn't have made the comment if I had known that. So I apologise and I wish that everyone else would have waited for my reply before wading into the argument.

It just annoys me when people adopt a bit of an attitude when their application isn't being processed as fast as they like. There are 1000s waiting for their decision, including myself. But seeing as this person paid a premium service and is still waiting make a mockery of the entire premium process. But I still stand by my comments on generic basis because this is a very sensitive situation to be in and to upset the "wrong person" could have serious implication on us.

I wasn't saying I didn't care about the situation you have found yourself in. You're right I don't know enough about your situation. All I was simply saying that your attitude toward this had me worried. You took it too personally, my comments aren't going to prevent you getting what you wish for. My only hope was my comments will make you think twice before you upset the wrong person. Don't get angry at me for having an opinion.

@oluwa112 The time scales are stated on the UKBA website. Admittedly this looks to be new for 2010 and may not have been applicable when you applied. There should be a number to call on your acknowledgement letter. I wasn't commenting on your personal situation so I don't understand why you felt the need to comment so strongly on my post.
Last edited by kiwigirl25 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

apagun
Newly Registered

Post by apagun » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:31 pm

kiwiseetie,kiwi love,

its ok,lets move on.we are all fighting a cause.we shall overcome.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:38 pm

apagun wrote:kiwiseetie,kiwi love,

Never a wiser word said, apagun sweetness :D

CLS
Newly Registered

Post by CLS » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:35 pm

kiwigirl25 wrote:

We should understand what possitions others in and then, make informed and OBJECTIVE comments?

You applied in November, you cannot be in the same emotional state as people (including me) who applied in August and still waiting. They (including me) have every right to express their anguish - this forum is the platform for us to express our feelings and share our thoughts and tips.

Remember - Live and let live - you want to live but let other people live first please!
Last edited by CLS on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:48 pm

CLS wrote:
kiwigirl25 wrote:

Oh, you applied in November, then, be quiet and let people who applied in August to express their anguish first. Live and let live - you want to live but let other people live first please!
:shock:

Confused as to why you felt you needed to make that comment. I'm not complaining about my situation I know I have to wait my turn. Don't attack me for trying to empathise with others through my own experience.

Apagun and I have made our peace. It was a misunderstanding; I jumped to conclusions; I admitted that; I apologised for that; apagun forgave me; we've moved on. I had hoped that was the end of it, no need for anyone else to jump in and restart the fight.

Please let the thread get back to it's original purpose as I plan to do.

CLS
Newly Registered

Post by CLS » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:54 pm

kiwigirl25 wrote:
CLS wrote:
kiwigirl25 wrote:

Oh, you applied in November, then, be quiet and let people who applied in August to express their anguish first. Live and let live - you want to live but let other people live first please!
:shock:

Confused as to why you felt you needed to make that comment. I'm not complaining about my situation I know I have to wait my turn. Don't attack me for trying to empathise with others through my own experience.

Apagun and I have made our peace. It was a misunderstanding; I jumped to conclusions; I admitted that; I apologised for that; apagun forgave me; we've moved on. I had hoped that was the end of it, no need for anyone else to jump in and restart the fight.

Please let the thread get back to it's original purpose as I plan to do.
I have updated my post as soon as I posted it.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:23 pm

I was going to leave the "topic" I start but I wanted to say I have no regrets about my original post.

Before you all jump on me again, whilst (in the end) my comments didn't apply to anyone here, they started a very interesting healthy debate. All those that replied raised some very interesting points about the immigration system. It gave me a lot to think about and has changed my opinion on some matters. Also I'm starting to think about my own situation in the wider scheme of things.

So thank most of you for your comments. :)

oluwa112

Post by oluwa112 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:30 pm

kiwigirl25 wrote:I was going to leave the "topic" I start but I wanted to say I have no regrets about my original post.

Before you all jump on me again, whilst (in the end) my comments didn't apply to anyone here, they started a very interesting healthy debate. All those that replied raised some very interesting points about the immigration system. It gave me a lot to think about and has changed my opinion on some matters. Also I'm starting to think about my own situation in the wider scheme of things.

So thank most of you for your comments. :)
I see things went up a notch in my absence...

Glad u decided to stay. the thing is we come here for moral support really. I didn't have to tell u my situation. but i did it to show that we most likely have varying backgrounds, but what we do have in common is that we are all at the mercy of UKBA.

We come here to just unloading and some case exchange ideas on how to move forward.

oluwa112

Post by oluwa112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 pm

So an Update from me.

Brief Background. Applied Liverpool Premium same day service but application turned to postal as Interviewing officer said that further review required. I was told process could take up to 15 weeks.
In October i think after about 11 weeks of waiting i e-mailed my interviewing officer and again she assured me that process could take up to 15 wks in her response back.... (Boy i'm i glad i sent that e-mail and she confirmed that to me in writing as well!)

Anyway! 6months 1 week and 1 day down the line from the August application I am still waiting.

I contacted my MP initially in November 2009 as the 15wks UKBA officer told me had passed and we all know the UKBA phone Auto response we get *Not completed yet*.
Well it is now Feb 2010, nothing from MP nothing from UKBA. So I decided to google my MP as to why he is so Elusive *cant make appointments to see him and he doesn't have a Locally based constituency Just the Westminster Office* Well i will tell you the least depressing thing that worried me about him... he isn't seeking re-elections so i guess he is at a stage where he really doesn't give a stuff anymore.

Last week I called UKBA to effect a Temporary home address as we would have workmen in the house and we all had to evacuate the house whilst works were being done. I didn't want to risk my passport arriving and it getting lost. I explained to them and I did the Temp address change

So read the Ombudsman report Last week and also thanx to *apagun* found another angle to get UKBA to look at my case. On Monday 15th Feb 2010 I Fired a Very Very Very Detailed E-mail of my situation and also forwarded to them the e-mail the UKBA sent me confirming the 15wk processing time. Cos i wanted to get on it as soon as possible I included all of my Details *didn't want them getting back to me asking me to send all my UKBA references delaying the whole process*. Immediately i got an Auto response.
Well today at 11am I got an acknowledgment from a Vivian @ Ombudsman with a reference Number if i needed to contact them. I will say I feel more optimistic.

Anyways after i received the e-mail, i decided to call UKBA as i am back home since the refurbishment is completed now. Well I did the Usual, was on hold, got thru. They had on record that i was moving due to refurbishments for a week. I told them the new address. Then the person I spoke to asked to Put me on Hold. So I was like Sure no problem been on hold 15mins of the 18mins phone call aways.
Well he goes off and then returns, asks for my Phone Number and Transaction completed!!

Now at this stage I got a huge Grin on my Face!! UKBA have never asked for my Phone Number Ever before and over the 10.5yr i have been resident here I have changed addresses a few time, I even did an address change Last week! and they have Never collected my Address Update, Put me on Hold, return, Collect my Phone Number and then finalise call!!

Is it all a coincidence that i e-mailed Ombudsman Yesterday, I get their Human Acknowledgment Today... and all of a Sudden UKBA want my Phone Number????

If you have been waiting as long as i have.... I urge you to Contact Ombudsman Phso.Enquiries@ombudsman.org.uk ASAP and share your experience!! :)

If you wanna read the depressing report you can: http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/pdfs/UKBA-2010-02-09.pdf Tho depressing to read, I found hope in the fact that there is someone fighting for us and we are not paying extra for it!!!

Most say feel more positive Today! I got a Spring in my step without questing! :D

Sorry for the Long Post. Had to get everything in there. Afterall we are here to share! :)

oluwa112

Post by oluwa112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Last edited by oluwa112 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kindley

Post by kindley » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Oluwa, I am sorry...about your situation. I really find it out to see what's holding your application.
Last edited by kindley on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Seek Further Opinion (ASFO)

skykive
Newly Registered

Post by skykive » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:38 pm

hi oluwa112,

I suggest you call sheffield complaint office 0114 207 2966 if you want to know which office is going to consider with your application. I called last week after 14 weeks waiging time, they told me my application is at liverpool. :wink:

oluwa112

Post by oluwa112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:39 pm

@ Kindley I wish you read the post before reply.

No I didnt get my ILR

oluwa112

Post by oluwa112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:40 pm

skykive wrote:hi oluwa112,

I suggest you call sheffield complaint office 0114 207 2966 if you want to know which office is going to consider with your application. I called last week after 14 weeks waiging time, they told me my application is at liverpool. :wink:
Thank you for that... I will get on that right now

oluwa112

Post by oluwa112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:01 pm

well my spring just snapped!

Got another e-mail from Vivan Again...

And was told that an MP is the only one that can get Ombudsman to investigate UKBA! Well I am screwed I got an MP who Give F*** all about his constituency since he aint seeking re-election. The Man is Elusive! Unless I go to House of Parliament in Westminster I really have no hope!

So i am back to square 1 and Wondering why when I called to update my address with UKBA, I was Put on Hold, then asked to give my phone Number. This has never happened Before!

And the Plot thickens and the whole situation is just as elusive as the day I had my PEO appointment back in August!

scot
Newly Registered

Post by scot » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:17 pm

ILR received after 2 months waiting time.

SET(O)-HSMP JR2, 4 years continuous work with one employer, 2 dependents
Application posted by special delivery on 15/12/2009
Received and Acknowledgement letter written by HO on 16/12/2009
ILR issued on 11/02/2010, not backdated
Received by "signed for" from royal mail delivery office on 16/02/2010

Documents sent out:
Application form
Current and old passports
Police certificates
employer letter
payslips (12 months)
P60 (4 years)
Current bank account statements (6 months), no savings account statements provided
Initial HSMP letter
Marriage certificate
Birth certificate (for my child)

Thanks for the valuable informations on this forum, special thanks to HSMP forum.

taylondon

Post by taylondon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:20 pm

hey Oluwa

Your MP has to do the Ombudsman thing for you,
The Parliamentary Ombudsman complaint form must be filled and signed by yourself and must also be checked / signed and served to Ombudsman by your MP.
if he does not do it, contact to his party directly
or contact your MEP, member of european parliament.

a friend of mine said that his sister in law was waiting for 5 months for spouse visa, they called HO and asked passport to be returned for emergency travel
and the HO actually sent the passport with the ILR on it, she believes that request for return of passport might help taking your case out of the queue or wherever it sleeps

asking passport to be returned back could be an option but risky, they might just send the passport back and ask you to submit another application when u come back

oluwa112

Post by oluwa112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:29 pm

taylondon wrote:hey Oluwa
who is Vivan?
Your MP has to do the Ombudsman thing for you,
The Parliamentary Ombudsman complaint form must be filled and signed by yourself and must also be checked / signed and served to Ombudsman by your MP.
if he does not do it, contact to his party directly
or contact your MEP, member of european parliament.

what did HO enquiry lane say anyway after they asked your phone number?

a friend of mine said that his sister in law was waiting for 5 months for spouse visa, they called HO and asked passport to be returned for emergency travel
and the HO actually sent the passport with the ILR on it, she believes that request for return of passport might help taking your case out of the queue or wherever it sleeps

asking passport to be returned back could be an option but risky, they might just send the passport back and ask you to submit another application when u come back
Asking for my Passport back is out of the Question. I have already paid £1020, My permit expired 30 September 2009... Its not even an option. I leave the country enter on a new permit most likely Visitor Visa... Just a No No Area. Risk is not worth it.

How do i find MEP details... cos I am screwed with regards to my MP,i don't even think that he exists.

taylondon

Post by taylondon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:07 pm

1) you can make a formal complaint to your MP's party. Call their main switchboard number and ask to be transferred to complaint team.
2) Contact to Prime Minister and Home Secretary directly. Both of them are very good at responding. They respond you in a week tell you that they have now passed your enquiry onto the relevant team in the HO to deal with. This always work

PM can be contacted on
10 Downing Street,
London,
SW1A 2AA

and the Home Secretary is:
The Home Office
Direct Communications Unit
2 Marsham Street
London SW1P 4DF

The Ombudsman would not deal with your enquiry unless you have given an oppurtunity to Home Office to deal with the case. You should have a final respond from the HO in order to go to further.

HO complaint policy and the contact can be found:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/contac ... complaint/

3) your MEP's details can be found through:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/members/p ... anguage=EN