ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 years long residence applications

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:09 am

yeezhexiang wrote:Dear Beige

Thanks for your advice. I shall wait till after the election, say end of May and it should be 14 weeks after my application.

Dear all,

Do you think it's a good idea to write a letter to the Minister of Home Office after the election to spell out the concern we have?

A wait of more than 6 months is like unvoluntary imprisonment. I wonder any lawyers are on the forum to advise on this matter.
Hi yeezhexiang

We've had this debate many times (before you joined the thread) about contacting UKBA for progress updates and when to complain.

The UKBA site contradicts itself. In one section it welcomes calls after 14 weeks. Then in the "conduct" section (titled "What Our Staff Expects") it states; reiterating the acknowledgement letter:

do not contact us to ask about the progress of your application unless we have failed to meet published targets

Published targets for postal ILR applications is currently 6 months.

Our predecessors and recently Beige have contacted UKBA after the 14 weeks and report that the responses are scripted. They do not give you any information what-so-ever. Phone after 14 weeks but do not expect anything enlightening. If you do get some useful information then tell us and we will all meet up for a huge celebration :lol:

With regards to waiting the full 6 months, this is what my solicitor advises to do to avoid any further delay to my application. Each time you phone a note goes on your file which may delay your application further (yet to be proven).

Now with regards to writing to the Home Office to complain best to wait and see which party gets in first. All the main parties have major immigration reforms planned. Ranging from "get all foreigners out" to an amnesty to grant all long term immigrants "earned citizenship". So UKBA might get a directive to hurry all existing applications along and to suspend all new applications under current rules. As usual we just have to wait and see what happens immediately after the election. My personal opinion is that applications are currently being quickly dealt with because not only for the election but because it is the end of the financial year this month.

At the end of the day it's up to you how you deal with your own application. After reading people's experiences here I am going to take my solicitor's advice and wait until 6 months. Sure as hell I will be making sure my solicitor is on the phone to UKBA on the day of my 6 month anniversary!! :evil:

powermatic

Post by powermatic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am

i think so too - it is best to wait till 6 months, as that is their target.
if they won't meet it , then we can get in touch with them. In addition, if my aknowledgement letter STATES that I should not contact them before they get in touch with me - then why should I? I don't want to joke with the Home Office... :roll:
Last edited by powermatic on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apagun
Newly Registered

Post by apagun » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 am

i ve been waiting over 6 months and 2 weeks now for a PEO application. I got a letter on the 26th of feb that the application has been seen by a caseworker and further enquiries has been made, this is almost two months after and i ve heard nothing. it drives me mad really. i just think it will be better to visit them and talk to someone in that office.

coolboyuk
- thin ice -

Post by coolboyuk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 am

user id apagun, I am confused here, have you applied under SET(O) 10 year cat ??????

sa

Post by sa » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:27 pm

previoius foi obtained by our "seniors"
I am writing to request the following under the FOI act:

what is the average processing time of postal applications which are not completed in the 6 months service standard, in the past 6months?

471 Days*

what is the average processing time of 10 year SET (O)ILR postal applications which are not completed in the 6 months service standard, in the past 6 months.

497 Days*

Over the past 6 months, what percentage of Long Residence (10 year) applications were decided within 6 months (postal applications ONLY)?

*70% of applications were decided within 6 months.

The answer to these questions are available online via freedom of information act.
Dont be carried away about waiting till 6 months cos of published standards..and that is cos they are not meeting their published standards according to them ie 70% instead of 95%.
Also if you get delayed beyond 6 months statistically your waiting could be much longer upto 471 days.If you dont make a noise nothing happens,but if you try atleast there is hope.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:54 pm

OK, let's agree to disagree on this matter :)

Let's carry out an experiment between those optimistic amongst us that think phoning after 14 weeks will assist their application and those who think it's best to take UKBA at their word and allow the published targets pass before picking up the phone.

We'll measure the timescales of both groups and see if there was any substantial difference, i.e. did the "gung hos" get a better result than us "shrinking violets"?

One final thought on this matter; I fail to understand why you feel that because UKBA aren't meeting their overall targets that this gives you carte blanche to start adding pressure on your own individual application after 14 weeks despite previous successful applicants proving that this does not work. The list proves that no matter what anyone tried to move their own individual application along (letters to MPs, phone calls, e-mails & letters to UKBA) they all had to wait 6 months+.

I don't begrudge you or your actions because I was of that frame of mind when I first realised I had a long wait ahead of me. Why should I have to wait like everyone else - it was my solicitor and the ppl on this board that brought me down to earth. Needless to say I wish you all the very best and sincerely hope you prove me wrong.

sa

Post by sa » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:25 pm

Imagine if our predecessors hadnt contact mp/written letters etc, how much more delays they would have had to encounter.If you dont highlight your problems by writing to the ukba you have no chance of getting the message across.Be proactive.If you have a contact detail in your letter write to firstname.lastname@ukba.gsi.gov.uk

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:27 pm

In my honest opinion, there is practically no point in calling them because either way you will NOT find out what the status of your application is. Taking the case of boonbin for example who received her ILR on the 1st of April. She called on the 31st of March and was told her application had not been completed whereas her ILR had been granted since the 3rd of March. For all you know, ILR may have been stamped in our passports but they just either refuse to let us know or maybe no communication exists between the departments dealing with our applications and the progress centers. It is therefore possible that no one but the caseworker dealing with our individual cases actually knows what is going on.

Rather then continously tormenting yourself (me included), I suggest we all just sit patiently and wait. I'm sure we will all rather wait and get the ILR than not wait and be rejected.

We can only hope now that the January applications are being processed since London101 got hers approved and sent back. Im not trying to moan at anyone so please don't take any offence.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:26 pm

No offence taken from you or anyone else. We are all entitled to our opinions on here.

Some choose to take heed of others experience, others find it better to have the experience for themselves. I'm usually the latter but I have decided to conform to the former as I'd rather not chance my luck with UKBA. They have my life in their hands!! I also rather not labour on the debate on whether or not to contact UKBA before the 6 months. As I said to yeezhexaing it's up to each individual how they handle their own application. It's only my opinion based on the facts here and I'm also not having a moan at anyone here.

I've too taken hope from London101's experience and hope it's good news for those who have applied January onwards. But until other January applicants come on here with news of their decision there is still some doubt in my mind.

powermatic

Post by powermatic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:52 pm

In my case I prepared myself morally for the long wait and I am not waiting for my postman every day. I think my case is very much straitforward but if they say on BIA website that it takes up to 6 months and, in addition, the other members on this forum waited for at least 4 months, then what is the point in stressing myself out!

I am living my life as usual. Should I get my documents early, I will be just over the moon, otherwise, it is 6 months wait in my mind :roll:

I am following this thread just to get an idea of what applications are currently considered, and lets hope it is January ones.

london101
Newly Registered

Post by london101 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 pm

I agree with Kiwigirl with regards to waiting instead of constantly pestering the HO about the progress of one’s application. Of course, as duly noted by Beige and Kiwigal, everyone’s entitled to his or her own opinion and it doesn’t mean that those who want to take action are wrong. I completely understand their frustration and hence the need to act in the hope of speeding up the process.

However, the way I see it, which is mainly based on what I read on this forum and others, it is practically impossible to get a straight answer from HO if you enquire about the progress of your application. If you manage to get through to an agent on the phone, you will first be asked if your application has been submitted more than 14 weeks prior to the phone call, if not the agent will ask you to call again after that period has elapsed, if you answer yes, the agents are trained to give you the vaguest answers possible. Something in the lines of “your application is not yet completeâ€

DA375

Post by DA375 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:31 pm

Helloo guys and girls, I have being following this forum for a few weeks now and could not resist the temptation to join in......so here I am.
I have applied for ten year long residence(2 years working holiday+8 years student) on the 18th of Feb 2010 through a solicitor.One point I noted was reading the post looks like ,all you guys are bachelors, I applied for my wife as a dependant on flr(m) form for further leave to remain as well.

I called HO last week and they told me I got wait for 14 weeks to make any inquires...... so i politely said fair enough and hung up. For me it sounded as if they have out sourced their call centre.
By reading individual experiences in this forum I wont be calling them again for the simple reason that the agents do not have a system where the info they hold are updated and live neither accurate.
One important fact I must add is , i have requested HO to expedite my application since my father in law is quite ill confirmation of this was also sent. I don't know weather that would help because the department who takes the payment might not read the letter,they might just take the payment and put it in the cue.

May be the only way I would get to know weather my case has being looked at is, if my wife gets a letter to go for the biometric.

So thats what I think at the present moment, a big congrats to the people who has got their ilr already and wishing all the guys who are waiting including me all the best
Last edited by DA375 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

powermatic

Post by powermatic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Sorry DA375 but I thought that applicants for ILR under the 10 years rule are not allowed to have dependents... so can you please shed some light on this aspect :wink: or did I misunderstand something? Your answer would be highly appreciated as I have a dependent too who currently has a valid leave to remain but I always knew that dependents can't apply. I believe that only once I will get ILR, my dependent will be able to apply on the SET(M). :?

DA375

Post by DA375 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi powermatic,
Well I had to send my wifes application together with mine because our present visas are expiring end of April, if I didn't send her one she will be technically overstaying because there is no way I would have got a decision on my application before the end of April. I assume that you got a long time more before your existing visas expire.
They would look at my application first and if successful they would grant my wife further leave to remain for 2 years on the basis of a spouse who is settled in the U.K .

In my case, my wife then has the option of applying for ilr on her own as a long resident because by then she would have been in the UK for ten years or else she could apply on the basis of marriage.
This is the same as a some one outside the UK marrying a British citizen or a permanent resident in the UK.

So powermatic hopefully this info helps.... :D

Procrastinator
Newly Registered

hey

Post by Procrastinator » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:13 am

NoWayOut wrote:
sa wrote:no way out..u are the only veteran here,have u heard anything yet?
No, still haven't heard anything at all.

NoWayOut... remember me? I am a silent user on this forum... I regularly check this message board at least 4-5 times a day but too lazy to post any messages. :)

NoWayOut... If you are disheartened that everybody else who applied in July/August/September got their ILR but not you then please don't.... me and you are on the same boat; in fact I applied on 30 July 2009... 3 days before you. :)

As mentioned in my previous post; I received a letter from the UKBA through my solicitor and they asked for further documents on 17 March 2010.... I submitted them on 30 March but unfortunately I have not heard anything yet. Although I applied under 14 years long residence set (O) but my case is very straight forward and I had 9 years legal stay in this country and for the remaining 5 years; I do have extensive documentary evidence that I have been living in this country since November 1994 and have not been a burden on the UK Government... never got convicted or anything which makes my case less favourable.

Anyways, it will be 9 months after 10 days since I made an application... really frustrating but sometimes in life you should just let things go which are beyond your control... I have no other option but just to keep waiting.... but I am sure it is on its way anytime soon... tomorrow... next week or week after... who knows.... but based on the information given on the letter from the UKBA... they have assigned a case worker at Liverpool Settlement Team 9... my application is under active consideration with them... they have also mentioned the name of the caseworker but for security reasons I don't wanna reveal his name.

Guys, I am planning to vote Lib Dems next month... I was impressed by Nick Clegg's debate last week. Lib Dems also have better policies on immigration and they are in favour of amnesty.... check out this article published today... :D

http://www.immigrationmatters.co.uk/4321.html

I am waiting for the good news in coming days and in the meantime; I am enjoying my all time favourite song ''careless whisper'' by George Michael.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxoUThrbvPc :lol:

All the best... NoWayOut... hope my post helps you to understand you are not alone.... I am with you.

Also, Congrats to all applicants who got their ILRs this month!!!

I will keep you posted if I have news from the UKBA.
Last edited by Procrastinator on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Procrastinator
Newly Registered

Post by Procrastinator » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:23 am

Time can never mend... Careless whisper of a good friend

booboo2010

Previous experience of obtaining ILR

Post by booboo2010 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 am

My wife applied for ilr on the basis of 10 year legal residence in UK in feb2009 and after six months I contacted homeoffice over the phone.The gentleman over the phone asked me the reference number which is a unique number usually it starts with the first letter of your surname.Its not the same which you get after the submitting the application.Thats the application refrence number.If you look at the previous approvals it will be there on the visa and approval letter.This number is unique and identifies you quickly.
He told me over the phone to wait and he said he will contact the caseworker assigned.After 10 minutes, I was told that the application is still under consideration and they will get back to us soon.
In two weeks time, she received her passport back with ILR stamped.

The moral of the story is that wait and contact after six months with proper details, may be you will get correct response.
With 10 year application they have to check all the immigration history and the laws which have changed subsequently and contact a number of authorities.Because of this reasons now Homeoffice is not allowing same day premium service from this year onwards

Most of you will get it but its a waiting game.Let authorities do their job
Hope it helps!
Last edited by booboo2010 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

song
Newly Registered

Post by song » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:31 am

NoWayOut
Hope you are hanging in there and really hope you get good news soon. I don't think you should be extremely worried as suggested.

I suggest you write to the UKBA if you haven't done that recently like in the past month. There is no HARM to your case if you write to them, especially as you've been waiting over 8 month. UKBA understand it's unreasonable time for 10 year legal stay and you have every right to inquire. And it helps (reminds) them to see what is keeping your application so long and they will hurry it up when they receive the letter. Boobin the founder of this forum sent so many letters on her case including one to Phil Woolas (Immigration Minister).

Good luck

powermatic

Post by powermatic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:20 am

JUST ADDED SOME NEW MEMBERS TO THE LIST.

sorry Apagun I did not add your name as dont have a date of application, please provide a date.

And Procrastinator, I am not sure if you should be on the list as you applied under 14 years rule - I dont think we can take your case for a 10 years timeline. On the BIA website it is mentioned that 10 years applications take 6 months while 14 years take 2-5 years. This is a huge difference so please forgive me.

And BooBoo2010 can you please give us a date too - when in February did you apply?

Dear members, once you receive your documents, please do not forget about this forum - come back and share the news, so that your name can be moved to the RECEIVED list

RECEIVED APPLICATIONS
:

london101 applied 8/01/10 received 15/04/10 WAITED FOR 13.6 weeks
Haha applied on 24/07/09 received 25/11/09 WAITED FOR 17.7 weeks
Rajj applied on 15/07/09 received 17/12/09 WAITED FOR 22.1 weeks
Oluwa112 applied 10/08/08 and received 17/02/10: WAITED FOR 27.3 weeks
Hangermajor applied 17/09/09 received 06/04/10 WAITED FOR 28.5 weeks
Foxy applied 24/08/09 received 27/03/10 WAITED FOR 30.5 weeks
CLS applied 27/08/09 received 29/03/10 WAITED FOR 31 weeks
Croydon applied 17/08/09 received 23/03/10 WAITED FOR 31.1 weeks
Terriblefish applied 08/09/09 received 16/04/10 WAITED FOR 31.3 weeks
Kingie67 applied 17/08/09 received 29/03/10 WAITED FOR 32 weeks
Dolf applied 24/08/09 received 07/04/10 WAITED FOR 32.2 weeks
Thms applied 28/08/09 received 12/04/10 WAITED FOR 32.3 weeks
Boonbin applied on 10/08/09 received 01/04/10 WAITED FOR 33.3 weeks
Sheng applied on 05/08/09 received 07/04/10 WAITED FOR 35 weeks
Liverpool applied 25/07/09 received 12/04/10 WAITED FOR 37.2 weeks
Taylondon applied 11/09/09 rejected 16/04/10 WAITED FOR 31 weeks

STILL PENDING: under 10 years lawful SET(O) category

NoWayOut applied on 03/08/09 and is still waiting: now 37.2 weeks
Beige
applied 11/01/2010 and is still waiting: now 14.1 weeks
pv
applied 20/01/2010 and is still waiting: now 13 weeks
coolboyuk
applied 22/01/10 and is still waiting: now 12.5weeks
Sa
applied 04/02/10 and is still waiting: now 10.6weeks
yeezhexiang
applied 08/02/10 and is still waiting: now 10.3 weeks
BooBoo2010
02/2010 and is still waiting: now 10 weeks ?
graham834 applied 09/02/10 and is still waiting: now 10.2 weeks
DA375
applied 18/02/10 and is still waiting: now 8.6 weeks
aman5
applied 25/02/10 and is still waiting: now 8 weeks
Powermatic
applied 10/03/10 and is still waiting: now 6weeks
mala
applied 29/03/2010 and is still waiting: now 3.2 weeks
zeddie
applied 05/04/10 and is still waiting: now 2.3 weeks

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:46 am

powermatic wrote:
And Procrastinator, I am not sure if you should be on the list as you applied under 14 years rule - I dont think we can take your case for a 10 years timeline. On the BIA website it is mentioned that 10 years applications take 6 months while 14 years take 2-5 years. This is a huge difference so please forgive me.
:shock: Be very careful when quoting timescales for 14 year applications. Recently a 14 year applicant heard within 7-8 months, they applied shortly before Procrastinator. Those who wait for 2-3 years have been here illegally their entire stay. I was told 2-3 years when I first started posting on this board and I got extremely upset to the point I was going to give up on it all.

At present we have to assume the same timescales as 10 year legal applications. The published targets for 14 yr ILR is 6 months so we still have the same rights as 10 year applications in that we can start making noise about the lack of response after that time.

Powermatic - could you post the link that states a 2-3 year target. btw don't take my comments personally it's difficult to know exactly what the timescales are for 14 years :D

Procrastinator - I hope you hear soon. I off to try and find the post from the 14 yr app who heard within 7 months and will edit this post later with the link (EDIT: I can't find the post and I can't afford the time to trawl through the entire board but if Powermatic could provide the link with the 2-3 yr target then I will raise this again with my solicitor).

powermatic

Post by powermatic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:09 am

kiwigirl25 I am sure I have seen the information stating that 10 years take 3-6 months and 14 years 2-5 years
I might have been wrong saying that it was on the BIA website - but it was published on a reliable sites. I think on the website of immigration advisers...
I am currently looking for the link everywhere online.

You need to understand that I am not trying to upset anyone. there were applicats for ILR10 years who got their status in 14 weeks and I am sure there are ILR 14 years applicants who got their documents in 7 months. I was talking of the majority of cases.

That is the only reason why I thought 14 years cases are irrelevant to this thread which is called 10 years ILR timeline.
feel free to add the name to the list - as I said earlier I did not mean to offend anyone
:wink:

Oh, just found one:
http://www.rlegal.com/ILR-longresidence.html

Procedure

An application under the Long Residence Rule must be submitted to the UK Border Agency on a prescribed form with the appropriate fee. The application must be accompanied by the applicant’s passport and supporting documentation.

Applications under the 10 year rule can only be made through the postal system and are currently taking approximately 3-6 months to process.

Applications through the 14 year rule can only be made through the postal system and are currently taking approximately 3-5 years to process.

If your application is refused, you will have a right of appeal against the Immigration Officer’s decision which is processed in the UK.

And the info on the above website seems to be up to date as it states that applications for ILR under long residency must be submitted by post only, which means that they updated information on their website after 1st January 2010
Last edited by powermatic on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:33 am, edited 6 times in total.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 am

Look what I found:

http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/pdfs/UKBA-2010-02-09.pdf

It's an official report by the Ombudsman regarding complaints received for UKBA. As you can see from the date in the doc title it's very recent. Complaints cover all types of ILR apps.

It clearly states that ALL ILR applications should be dealt within 6 months (originally 13 weeks). There is/was a backlog of 33,000 applications of legal/illegal stay (14yr ILR) (also known as fee paying applicants), they are on target to clear this before July 2010. This backlog was caused by UKBA efforts being focused on the asylum backlog along the removal of 1000 foreign prisoners, which is on track to be cleared by summer 2011. Note that asylum and 14 year legal/illegal applicants are distinguished very much as separate categories and are not processed together.

(sorry I have to heavily edit this as I'm taking the time to read the report thoroughly)

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:53 am

powermatic!!

You didn't upset me at all. Please don't think you did :( You are very right not to include a 14 yr app on the list because as you correctly stated it's a thread for 10 year ILR. My only concern was that Procrastinator would read your post and get upset thinking they had another 2 years to wait.

The timescales for 14 year application is very much a grey area, whilst there are applicants who have had to wait 2-3 years there is also those who heard within a "reasonable" time. Unless UKBA publish a 2-3 year official target I'm going to assume there is still a possibility that 14 year applicants can hear within the published targets. Overstayers tend to hear quicker than someone who has been illegal their entire stay.

Anyway I found an official report, dated Feb 2010, which states the reason for these long waits and that these (fingers crossed) should be a thing of the past. According to the report Procrastinator should hear before July 2010.... it doesn't mention them personally :lol:

powermatic

Post by powermatic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:05 am

I blieve it is better to prepare for the long wait and then have a surprise when documents come early... rather then sit and wait every day for a postman.
I prepared myself for at least 6 months wait. I am now thinking of booking a hoiliday in UK as I can't get out of the country without my passport. so the life is as usual...

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:20 am

powermatic wrote:I blieve it is better to prepare for the long wait and then have a surprise when documents come early... rather then sit and wait every day for a postman.
I prepared myself for at least 6 months wait. I am now thinking of booking a hoiliday in UK as I can't get out of the country without my passport. so the life is as usual...
I agree for your circumstances, you know I do and I wish a shorter wait on all 10 yr applicants, but put yourself in the shoes of a 14 year applicant who applied on the basis that the official published target is 6 months and then is told by unofficial sources (i.e not UKBA) that they have to wait 2-3 years. That's 2-3 years not being able to work or financially support yourself. I don't think anyone could mentally prepare themselves for that. :roll:

I understand why certain law firms publish the 2-3 years timescales because it is based on the past few years applicants and they need to make future applicants aware they may have a long wait ahead. I also note that they state 3-6 months for 10 year ILRs which we know to be wrong. I think we should take heed of the official ombusman report also John Vine, Independant Chief Inspector of UKBA is soon to produce a report on the backlog and targets - hopefully someone will post a link to this once it's available.