ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply British passport from India for UK born child.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lovekirankumar
Newly Registered

Post by lovekirankumar » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:28 am

specy_99 wrote:Hi Rivercam! Sorry for the delay in response.

HMPO gave me this address to post the application to:

OVERSEAS TEAM 6
HM PASSPORT OFFICE LIVERPOOL
101 OLD HALL STREET
LIVERPOOL
L3 9BP

However, on the website it still says to send the application to:
British High Commission New Delhi
Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi 110021
India

The guy said I can phone the BHC and make a appointment with them! and it is so hard to speak to them on the phone as no one answers it!

HM Passport is not planned to take applications from India until April 2014. I have got confirmatiion that they are doing for only certain countries now, among them India is not there.

But April 2014 we can apply in UK and send our supporting documents to UK HM Passport.

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:59 am

Whats the link to the above information?

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:33 pm

maddyinlon
If i am correct you can not apply any kind of UK visas if the child is already british. possibility is that applying for right of abode on indian passport.

specy_99
yes, I too read about they are doing from april 2014 but I am not sure that means directly sending to uk. when I spoken with HMPO even today's process of applications are directly decided by UK though you send application to delhi. Earlier all applications are for india got processed at Hongkong.

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:33 am

They have returned my daughters application again. No explanation given first and the second time!

I sent UK solicitors attested copy of my passport and ILR and other documents.....

I REALLY don't know what to do!

Losing the will to live here!

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:51 am

specy

I am in india now and today I recieved my application returned second time for different reason. They need some kind of document or letter addressed to child matching with parent's address in india.

I have no idea how to get such a one because child is 3 year old and dont know who is going to send letters to children in india.

I am fed up with whole process. you should get some kind of explainstion in the letter that comes with returned application.

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Sorry to hear that Rivercam! That is disgraceful! I think you should make a complaint!

maddyinlon

returned application

Post by maddyinlon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:49 am

Hello Riveram and Specy_99,

I am in same situation. Application has been returned by BHC saying they needs parents original passports and address on the form should match with address proofs of both parents i.e., voters card, driving license, identity cards etc...

Total Nuts!

What is your plan now guys?

I'm considering travelling to India for this purpose and submit my passport along with other documents they ask for...

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:27 pm

I dont think coming to india can solve your problem. I am in india dont know what to do. Why cant they accept your copy attested by solicitor? Luckily for me and wife our passports at the time of baby birth got expired and they accepted but I am thinking of new avenues for child address match so far my ideas --unique i.d card for baby or opening savings bank account on baby's name.

maddyinlon

Post by maddyinlon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:09 pm

rivercam wrote:I dont think coming to india can solve your problem. I am in india dont know what to do. Why cant they accept your copy attested by solicitor? Luckily for me and wife our passports at the time of baby birth got expired and they accepted but I am thinking of new avenues for child address match so far my ideas --unique i.d card for baby or opening savings bank account on baby's name.
It would be nice if they mention why they wont accept Attested Photocopies.

Savings account or fixed deposit or LIC would be good idea. But I believe, Savings account or fixed deposit is quick option. If you are referring Unique ID card to Aadhar card, I think it will take some time.

Have you submitted any documents which are showing as your address proof in India?

I can understand how frustrating it is... From this morning, I cant think of anything else except this...

Gols
Newly Registered

Re: Apply British passport from India for UK born child.

Post by Gols » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:59 pm

ukba2536 wrote:
Manoj79 wrote:I have tried to guide through the steps that i followed in order to apply for British passport from India for my UK born child .

Baby born in UK ':D', Aug 2011 to Indian parents holding Tier-1 visa.

Child got Indian passport on September 2011 issued by Indian HC London. Didn't apply for tier-1 dependent visa.

Child travelled along with parents to India on March 2012. (Holidays)

Child remains in India with her grandparents holding Indian passport (until now May 2013). {Child care reason}

Parents got ILR/resident permit on Nov 2012 (2 years HSMP+ 3 years Tier-1).

Parents successfully registered the child as British citizen in UK (using MN1 Form) under Section 1(3) rules. We did mention that child is currently in India.

Received the registration certificate within 30 days from the date of application - April 2013.

Parents sent all the relevant documents to Grandparents for British passport application.

British passport application for child was made to British passport services in Delhi on 1 May 2013 by child's grandparents.

British authorities in India acknowledged the receipt of passport application by email and requested to surrender the Indian passport at regional passport office ASAP before proceeding with the application any further by phone & email. 10 May 2013.

No calls were made at this point to Counter signatory. Referee is a an Engineer living and working in India holding Indian passport.

Child's Indian passport was surrendered at regional passport office, by grandparents.

Child's grandparents surrendered the kids passport and posted the passport surrender certificate to British passport services in Delhi.

British authority in India is now processing my kids British passport application. Yet to receive the passport as on 22 May 2013.
I will update further details as it happens...

Apologies if i take more than your anticipated time to answer your queries.

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]

Hi Manoj

Thanks for your precious information and have given me a big hope

I'm also in your situation at the moment,,my UK born Baby in India with Grand parents...my ILR due next month (PEO) same day appointment.

Now I'm just wondering what will be the baby status in india after she get UK citizenship and British Passport and want to stay in india for bit longer time as im also planning to back to india for some time after my ILR.

Does she need need to apply for indian visa(while being in india) or PIO or OCI. please let me know if you have any information regarding this.

Thanks
Your son can travel to London without any pio, OCI or exit visa....till 18 minor can hold both the passport. My 3yr old is having both PP and I came to London in June 2013. In Delhi we used his Indian PP and in London we used his London PP.

Gols
Newly Registered

Post by Gols » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:20 pm

ukba2536 wrote:
Manoj79 wrote:I have tried to guide through the steps that i followed in order to apply for British passport from India for my UK born child .

Child got Indian passport on September 2011 issued by Indian HC London. Didn't apply for tier-1 dependent visa.

Child remains in India with her grandparents holding Indian passport (until now May 2013). {Child care reason}

Parents successfully registered the child as British citizen in UK (using MN1 Form) under Section 1(3) rules. We did mention that child is currently in India.

Received the registration certificate within 30 days from the date of application - April 2013.

Parents sent all the relevant documents to Grandparents for British passport application.

British passport application for child was made to British passport services in Delhi on 1 May 2013 by child's grandparents.

British authorities in India acknowledged the receipt of passport application by email and requested to surrender the Indian passport at regional passport office ASAP before proceeding with the application any further by phone & email. 10 May 2013.

No calls were made at this point to Counter signatory. Referee is a an Engineer living and working in India holding Indian passport.

Child's Indian passport was surrendered at regional passport office, by grandparents.

Child's grandparents surrendered the kids passport and posted the passport surrender certificate to British passport services in Delhi.

British authority in India is now processing my kids British passport application. Yet to receive the passport as on 22 May 2013.

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]

Hi Manoj

Thanks for your precious information and have given me a big hope

I'm also in your situation at the moment,,my UK born Baby in India with Grand parents...my ILR due next month (PEO) same day appointment.

Now I'm just wondering what will be the baby status in india after she get UK citizenship and British Passport and want to stay in india for bit longer time as im also planning to back to india for some time after my ILR.

Does she need need to apply for indian visa(while being in india) or PIO or OCI. please let me know if you have any information regarding this.

Thanks

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:30 am

When did you apply for child british passport in India? The recent application changes for applying British passports from India seems to be very difficult if not impossible for the reason of documents they were asking.

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:49 pm

I have now made a complaint.

As I applied before procedural changes and they returned it without any reasons.

I am furious! BHC, Delhi don't even speak on the phone or see in person. Lots of people moan about Indian consulate but the good thing about them is you can go and talk in person!

Feeling really angry here!

Newbei30
Newly Registered

Post by Newbei30 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:16 am

Manoj79 wrote:
uarena10 wrote:

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]
Hi Manoj

Fairly similar situation.

Could you kindly share the documents that you submitted along with the application form.
The application guidance asks for antenatal record, vaccination record, ,parents passport (or copies to be signed by UK solicitor). Did you furnish all this.

Could you kindly also share a stepwise process also please. It would be of immense benefit.

Thanks in advance
Hi,
1) I have submitted the following original documents (2 photocopies of original documents must be submitted): Filled in Application form, 2 Passport photo of child, Backside of 1 Passport size photo must be signed by counter signatory, Credit card payment form, Child's Birth certificate, Child's British registration certificate, Hospital Discharge certificate, Child red book (UK) or vaccination card, Parents birth certificates, Parents marriage certificate, Address proof documents-Council tax,Driving licence,NI Card, Utility bills (UK), Family photograph including child (5-6 Photo's), Parents passport color photocopies (all pages attested by UK solicitor), Indian passport surrender certificate and any other relevant documents depending on your scenario.

2) Since we the parents of child were in UK while making the child's British passport application from India we had to send passport's color photocopies attested by UK solicitor (all pages). Unfortunately we had Jumbo Indian passport which contains 60 pages. I had to take color print out of all pages and convince the solicitor to attest all the pages (Mostly the blank pages). Luckily a solicitor in UK charged only £40 for attesting approx 70 pages. However, some may charge £5 for each page!
Its better to submit antenatal documents/discharge document, Red book/vaccination card as requested in guidance.

3)I have explained the steps that i followed in my original post.Your situation might be different.

One lesson that i have learned :
In my case Initially I did sent my child's Indian passport along with the British passport application. The Indian passport was returned by British passport services, Delhi within a week.I was requested to surrender my child's Indian passport to nearest Indian passport authority (in my case in Chennai) and get the Indian passport surrender certificate. They had kept my child British passport application on hold until they received the Indian passport surrender certificate from us. So if the child already has Indian passport issued either in India or UK then i would recommend to surrender it to nearest Indian passport authority and get the surrender certificate first. Later you could apply for your child's British passport.
(However in UK, you might not need to surrender the Indian passport first before British passport is issued)

Hope above information answer your query.
Thanks
Manoj

Hello Manoj,
Can you kindly advise on the procedure to obtain Surrender certificate from Chennai? Should we approach the Chennai passport office and what are the documents required to surrender. Can you kindly advise on how much time it takes to get a surrender certificate? Thanks in advance for your inputs.

himpa

Post by himpa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi,
I have below query-

1) Parents ILR and child UK born. Travelling to India for few months, currently child have got UK Visa.

2) Need to know if naturalisation can be done from India.

3) if we apply while in UK via NCS then can we give correspondence address in India as we will be going while this may be in progress.

maddyinlon

Post by maddyinlon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:02 pm

himpa wrote:Hi,
I have below query-

1) Parents ILR and child UK born. Travelling to India for few months, currently child have got UK Visa.

2) Need to know if naturalisation can be done from India.

3) if we apply while in UK via NCS then can we give correspondence address in India as we will be going while this may be in progress.
As far as I know, Naturalisation certificate cannot be sent to non-UK address. It is better you apply for it when you come back..

rp24
Newly Registered

Post by rp24 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Manoj

Thanks for sharing your success story.

I am in similar situation where me, my wife and my son have got ILR recently, but now my wife and my son are in India because of child care reason.

So my question to you is that if i want to get this naturalisation certificated done using MN1 form, what would i need considering the fact that both my son's passport is in India.

I understand once i have got this certificate i need to follow the steps which you did (apply from India for British passport), but for now i just need to know what i can do to obtain 1st step of naturalisation certificate.

Thank you.

Regards
Ruchir

rp24
Newly Registered

Post by rp24 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Manoj

I look forward to hearing from you. It will be of great help if you can please provide insight in my case.

Regards
Ruchir

rajfromkolkata
Newly Registered

Post by rajfromkolkata » Sun May 18, 2014 12:18 am

I am new to this. Just to throw a question:

Child Dad is in UK and has British passport. Childs Mom is in India with Indian passport. If child is born in India. If the child first apply for Indian passport and then come to UK, can he then apply for British passport from here? just to avoid the extremely time consuming and issues with application of british passport in India.

vijay0901
Newly Registered

Post by vijay0901 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Manoj,

Can you share your contact details please or could you please give me a call on 0044789701481 as i am under same situation and bit complicated.

Thanks
Vijay

RameshM
Newly Registered

Post by RameshM » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:08 pm

Any one advise me for the following situation.

Baby born in Nov'14 in UK ,Parents are Indian Citizens and going to apply an ILR in Feb'15, Baby is going to apply an Indian passport and travelling to India in Mar'15 with grand parents.

Question is :

Please advise whether the baby is eligible to apply British passport (or) Naturalisation from India or not ?

If eligible for British passport,what is the procedure and please explain the process and time periods for each stage.

Thanks
Child's dad

kavin
Newly Registered

Post by kavin » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:06 pm

RameshM wrote:Any one advise me for the following situation.

Baby born in Nov'14 in UK ,Parents are Indian Citizens and going to apply an ILR in Feb'15, Baby is going to apply an Indian passport and travelling to India in Mar'15 with grand parents.

Question is :

Please advise whether the baby is eligible to apply British passport (or) Naturalisation from India or not ?

If eligible for British passport,what is the procedure and please explain the process and time periods for each stage.

Thanks
Child's dad
Hi Ramesh,
I am in the same situation.
Baby born on sep 2015 and planning to apply for Indian birth registration and passport for Nov travel.
And the plan is to apply for British citizenship for kid from india once I get ILR on March 2016.

Would like to know what was your finding?
Did your kid travel and did you apply for citizenship?

Please let me know your valuable comment so that I can make a decision to stay back with kid in UK if it is very difficult to apply from citizenship from India.

Thanks,
Kavin

karthikshraddha
Newly Registered

Post by karthikshraddha » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi Guys,

My daughter is currently in India on a Tier 1 Dependent visa which is expiring in Feb 2016. She is 3 yr old and was born in UK. Her mom (my wife) is also with her in INdia.

I am on a Tier 1 General which is valid untill 2018, but I would be applying for my ILR in Feb 2016.

Question:

In my case, while I get my ILR in feb 2016, my wife would continue to be on Tier 1 dependent and my daughter's Tier 1 General would have expired. Can I apply for my daughter's british passport from India itself?

Is it enough if one of the parents is an ILR holder in this case?

Please help
Karthik

sonub4ualt
Member of Standing

Post by sonub4ualt » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:39 am

You have to register your child as British Citizen first via form MN(1) and then apply for passport.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ations.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _06_15.pdf