ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

girlfriend from peru, pregnant, can she stay in the UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:34 pm

Hi folks --

I suspect that wildeep is going to miss out on some of the substantial advice and options that he might have otherwise benefited from. I had hoped he would stop back in, but after the abuse he was subjected to, I don't blame him a moment for signing out and finding a more friendly neighborhood.

And that disturbs me very much, given the tenor of some of the quite unnecessary attacks I see strewn about this thread.

Frankly I'm disappointed that some of our more experienced members here couldn't reign in their personal attitudes long enough to try and focus on helping someone out.

This was ... strike that: IS quite a serious matter and it is deserving of quite a bit more sensitivity and respect than I see demonstrated here.

Shame on you.

We're trying to keep this a wide open and free speech forum .. but if piling abuse on each other - and upon new members that stop in - is going to be the result, we can also tighten up the rules and run the board more in line with a Gestapo summer camp.

Which really won't be to the benefit of anybody.

Thank you very much for listening,

the Admin

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:14 am

I'm quite disturbed by all the "make an honest woman" of her comments - tolerance, perhaps, chaps?

Marriage isn't the be-all and end-all. I'm not married. My boyfriend and I have lived together 10 years this year, and we have a 2 year old son. I'm not a dishonest woman, that's for sure! :lol:
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:04 am

avjones wrote:I'm quite disturbed by all the "make an honest woman" of her comments - tolerance, perhaps, chaps?

Marriage isn't the be-all and end-all. I'm not married. My boyfriend and I have lived together 10 years this year, and we have a 2 year old son. I'm not a dishonest woman, that's for sure! :lol:
How lovely for you but there is a clear commitment between you and your boyfriend whereas the OP has made it clear that he doesn't know if the relationship is going anywhere, let alone that it will last.

In any case, first of all, that is not what the expression means.
Second, I think its others who are being intolerant of the comment or rather too tolerant of persons having sex without being responsible or dealing with the consequences of their actions but yet expecting that there is a visa category to legitimize their status.
Third, and I keep qualifying and relating my statements back to the OP's objective in pointing out that the HO rules support the second point in that it doesn't provide resident permits because you are having a child without the commitment of marriage irrespective that one parent is British.

Thus I suggest you complain to the home office that they are being too moralistic about it and ask them to create another resident permit category for unwed mothers of British children (please don't refer me to that visiting visa as this is not what the OP was interested in)

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:31 am

No, the visiting visa certainly doesn't apply.

I know it's not honest / dishonest woman, I did put a smilie after that!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:20 am

Marriage isn't the be-all and end-all.
For some things it is. Good luck to you and your boyfriend, and may your relationship last forever, but as far as the UK government is concerned having a kid together is less of a commitment than taking a vow in front of a registrar. The former could happen by accident and doesn't signify a commitment. Neither does decades of living together signify a legal commitment to stay together for life. I can't imagine the immigration chaos that'll ensure if the government treated living together on par with marriage.

If we can still use expressions involving the word black in a less than flattering light it's a bit silly to demand that making an honest woman of someone is now somehow demeaning to women. It's a expression, let's not get all PC about it! Disclaimer: ;--)

wildeep, any thoughts on my post from earlier?

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:56 pm

OL7MAX wrote:but as far as the UK government is concerned having a kid together is less of a commitment than taking a vow in front of a registrar
I don't think that it is as clear cut as you see it as well. For the UK government even taking the vow in front of a Registrar isn't committment enough and rightfully so. Which is why they ask for different types of evidence of having lived as man and wife for 2 years before granting the ILR. Even with the lack of paper certifying the probable committment (keeping in mind that almost 50% of such "vows" are doomed to fail anyway), the UK acccepts 2 prior years of co-habitation as evidence of a relationship.
I can't imagine the immigration chaos that'll ensure if the government treated living together on par with marriage.
Ever heard of the Unmarried partners visa... no much choas inspite of it's existence... and used to be the only source for same-sex couples until the Civil Partnership Act of 2004. And Kudos to the government for their understanding.
Neither does decades of living together signify a legal commitment to stay together for life
For some things it is
I do admire your faith in the institution of marriage. But considering today's divorce rates, why the "pro-marriage" crusade?
Jabi

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:32 pm

You are, my friend, indulging again in jumping to conclusions. One of the symptoms of that disease is seeing crusades where there are none (and missing the crusades of those in this thread who are pro-marriage).

I am simply pointing out that the law treats marriage (including civil partnerships) as different to living together, not least when it comes to immigration.
the UK acccepts 2 prior years of co-habitation as evidence of a relationship.
Great! Will you inform the OP that marriage is not required anymore if he can prove co-habitation? Or shall I?

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:50 pm

OL7MAX wrote:You are, my friend, indulging again in jumping to conclusions
Hey! Isn't that usually supposed to be my line to you?
and missing the crusades of those in this thread who are pro-marriage
... you should be flattered. I only consider you worthy of my time!
Great! Will you inform the OP that marriage is not required anymore if he can prove co-habitation? Or shall I?
I think we already just have done that.
Jabi

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:37 pm

Bloody stalkers! I thought I got rid of all of them!

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:09 pm

OL7MAX wrote:
Bloody stalkers! I thought I got rid of all of them!
... projected erotomania (shakes head). Poor "stalkers"!

How did you get rid of them?- legally or illegally?
Jabi

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:13 am

OK, children ... clearly this topic is now well off line ... it has served its useful purpose ... and accordingly it will not surprise anyone that it is now locked.
John