ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

got his visa on saturday and left on sunday. can he do this?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:45 pm

Administrator wrote:.
Given his current behavior, he is likely planning how to leverage his British visa to travel/work the EU (legally or otherwise).
Not legally, certainly. An ILR on a foreign passport is not much use outside UK. We are not part of any Schengen-type agreement, so it can't be used to live and work elsewhere. If you leave for too long you can't get back in.

If he were a true scammer, he should've waited until naturalisation!
Perry Ismangil

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:51 pm

A couple of more quick items for consideration:

Think about asking for a restraining order or a trespass order against him. Those are American terms for the idea; not sure if they are literally correct under British law.

The thing is, his behavior very directly fits the profile of a sociopath.

Which gives the opportunity to make the case that he might be suffering from mental illness.

Which gives grounds to keep him out of direct, unsupervised contact with your daughter & grand daughter.

Now, I'm not suggesting that he be denied all access .. but he should have to go through some social services evaluation(s) and have some professionals examine him. This is not revenge .. this is a very legitimate concern and I urge you to think about it. His further contact with your family needs to be carefully regulated, monitored and documented.

If he thinks his life is looking a bit rough, having misjudged what people might be willing to tolerate from him, he sounds like the sort of personality that might just abduct his daughter & attempt to disappear into the UK, the EU, or even back to Albania, if only for a "few years" until he thinks people have forgotten.

Raise these questions with all people you take this story to. Press them for their opinions and advice.

Read through this clinical profile of a typical sociopath and see if there might be some merit to this thought:

http://www.hss.caltech.edu/~mcafee/Bin/sb.html

The best of luck to all of you! Deadbeat parents really ph#!( me off in a BIG way. Living in East Europe for the past several years, I am disgusted by the behavior of the men here and how wretchedly they tend to treat their women.

That mentality needs to be treated like the disease it is.

the Admin

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:57 pm

Agreed!

If u really want to u can ruin this guys life in the UK, if you really, really want to. With a lot of hard work.

It's just u have ur own life, use it for urself.

Just keep that in mind, it might empower you.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:12 am

Think about asking for a restraining order or a trespass order against him. Those are American terms for the idea; not sure if they are literally correct under British law.
Injunction, is the right term, in the UK.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:59 am

ismangil wrote:
Given his current behavior, he is likely planning how to leverage his British visa to travel/work the EU (legally or otherwise).
If he were a true scammer, he should've waited until naturalisation!
He probably is a "true" scammer, just not a very "brilliant" one :wink:

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:09 am

Living in East Europe for the past several years, I am disgusted by the behavior of the men here and how wretchedly they tend to treat their women.
To be brutally honest, it is not just Eastern Europe but things are not far too colourful over here as well. At the amount of freedom that is enjoyed by the women in the 'west', one would expect a good amount of them to be sane and make choices that would be benficial or atleast harmful to them. But day in, day out I am getting a bit fed up with having to smile to the astonishing number of ones who are on anti-depressants and seek "help" due to their seeming addiction for mates who are just a step away from clubbing them over the head and dragging them back to their places by their hair.

I expect a lot of stick and accusations to come my way for this comment... but judging by the choices they make, sometimes it really feels like most women (and men) do indeed only get what they deserve... It can't all be Stoke!
Jabi

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:30 am

I'm really sorry about what's happened to your daughter. I used to know an Albanian guy who did a very similar thing to a friend. He had applied for asylum and claimed he was from Kosova. He had been going out with my friend for nearly 2 years when his asylum was granted and he got ILR and then applied for British Citizenship. A few days after he got that, he left my friend without saying a word, went back to Albania and got married to a girl over there, and has now brought the Albanian wife back to live in the UK. It was almost as if my friend was a back-up for if his asylum wasn't granted. He also fits that profile that the Admin posted of a Sociopath very well. He convinced my friend that he had captured and tortured by Serbs during the Kosova conflict (even though I remember being with them one time when he was talking about being back in his village in the south of Albania, and how he grew up near where my husband is from). He decided it would be "funny" to tell my husband (then my fiance) that we were having an affair - which lead to my husband never speaking to him again. Then he decided to tell my friend that I had "tried it on with him", which ultimately led to the breakdown of our friendship (she chose to believe him over me). We only heard through other friends what had happened. I wonder if it could be the same guy? Him committing bigamy wouldn't surprise me in the least.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:35 am

clairey wrote:I'm really sorry about what's happened to your daughter. I used to know an Albanian guy who did a very similar thing to a friend. He had applied for asylum and claimed he was from Kosova. He had been going out with my friend for nearly 2 years when his asylum was granted and he got ILR and then applied for British Citizenship. A few days after he got that, he left my friend without saying a word, went back to Albania and got married to a girl over there, and has now brought the Albanian wife back to live in the UK. It was almost as if my friend was a back-up for if his asylum wasn't granted. He also fits that profile that the Admin posted of a Sociopath very well. He convinced my friend that he had captured and tortured by Serbs during the Kosova conflict (even though I remember being with them one time when he was talking about being back in his village in the south of Albania, and how he grew up near where my husband is from). He decided it would be "funny" to tell my husband (then my fiance) that we were having an affair - which lead to my husband never speaking to him again. Then he decided to tell my friend that I had "tried it on with him", which ultimately led to the breakdown of our friendship (she chose to believe him over me). We only heard through other friends what had happened. I wonder if it could be the same guy? Him committing bigamy wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Thats the problem, when you got "lunatics" trying to get over, it is really hard to make sense of their actions.
As I stated before, the OP writes a letter (which she claims has been done) to BIA, let BIA sort it out.
As for the child support, just contact the property agencies to make sure he doesn't skip out on his obligations. Thats the end of it.

sammie121

Post by sammie121 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:03 pm

I feel for your Daughter and more so for your Grandaughter....
Iam married to an Albanian man and we expect our first child in October, to be fair all i have heard is "he is using you for a visa" . My family friends even co-workers have passed comments... Did you have any concerns at the start of their relationship that this may be his intention?

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:09 pm

sammie121 wrote:I feel for your Daughter and more so for your Grandaughter....
Iam married to an Albanian man and we expect our first child in October, to be fair all i have heard is "he is using you for a visa" . My family friends even co-workers have passed comments... Did you have any concerns at the start of their relationship that this may be his intention?
Sammie,
I'm married to an Albanian man as well, and I've had some comments made by "friends" and colleagues. You need to rise above it. Not all Albanian men behave like this - the majority are good, kind people. Unfortunately all nationalities have their fair share of scumbags.

sammie121

Post by sammie121 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:21 pm

Yes the comments don't bother me, i just wondered if the lady had the same concerns at the start of the relationship. I love my husband and we are open about the comments people feel the need to pass. To be fair stories like this give people cause for concern and caution. Its a sad world when people are willing to use others in this way, but i agree its an individual not a Nationality issue.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:37 pm

Somehow I`m not at all surprised that Albanians are involved in such scams..I have met many Albanians in my line of work & a lot of them were not very nice people.Most hold this country in extreme contempt are here just to sponge off the system. It may be that the majority who came to this country from Albania were of the lower socioeconomic classes so are prone to this sort of behaviour. I suppose the UK is paying the price for waging an unjust war on Serbia, which in turn forced it to recognise many Albanians masquerading as Kosovars as 'refugees' & grant them asylum..

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:57 pm

thirdwave wrote:Somehow I`m not at all surprised that Albanians are involved in such scams..I have met many Albanians in my line of work & most of them are not very nice people.Most hold this country in extreme contempt are here just to sponge off the system. It may be that the majority who came to this country from Albania were of the lower socioeconomic classes so are prone to this sort of behaviour. I suppose the UK is paying the price for waging an unjust war on Serbia, which in turn forced it to recognise many Albanians masquerading as Kosovars as 'refugees' & grant them asylum..
You make a good point there mate, I agree.

It's the same in the Russian Brides game, the girls that enrol on marriage and dating sites are in the main from the bottom of a very dirty barrel.

As regular viewers will know, I'm very suspicious of international dating, I think most people underestimate the social, cultural and language differences that aren't really apparent in MSN and a quick holiday.

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:02 pm

thirdwave wrote:Somehow I`m not at all surprised that Albanians are involved in such scams..I have met many Albanians in my line of work & a lot of them were not very nice people.Most hold this country in extreme contempt are here just to sponge off the system. It may be that the majority who came to this country from Albania were of the lower socioeconomic classes so are prone to this sort of behaviour. I suppose the UK is paying the price for waging an unjust war on Serbia, which in turn forced it to recognise many Albanians masquerading as Kosovars as 'refugees' & grant them asylum..
Would you kindly keep your dearly beloved comments about Albanians to yourself? You think it's only Albanians who try to get round the immigration rules? Get real.
Having travelled round Albania, I'll be the first to admit that they do have social and economic problems, but don't attack the people. I could point you in the direction of a great number of Brits who are sponging off the system. And as for holding this country in comtempt, I've yet to meet 1 Albanian who does, and I know a lot of Albanians. The vast majority are some of the kindest, loyal and respectful people you could ever hope to meet.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:05 pm

clairey wrote: And as for holding this country in comtempt, I've yet to meet 1 Albanian who does, and I know a lot of Albanians. The vast majority are some of the kindest, loyal and respectful people you could ever hope to meet.
Unfortunately, I've met quite a few - the prostitution rackets (including children) in London are pretty much Albanian-run these days. There are some very nasty types about. Saying that, however, is not dearly beloved. It's a fact. dearly beloved would be saying, "he's an Albanian, therefore he's.... <whatever>"
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:14 pm

avjones wrote:
clairey wrote: And as for holding this country in comtempt, I've yet to meet 1 Albanian who does, and I know a lot of Albanians. The vast majority are some of the kindest, loyal and respectful people you could ever hope to meet.
Unfortunately, I've met quite a few - the prostitution rackets (including children) in London are pretty much Albanian-run these days. There are some very nasty types about. Saying that, however, is not dearly beloved. It's a fact. dearly beloved would be saying, "he's an Albanian, therefore he's.... <whatever>"
Clearly, anyone who runs a prostitution racket (especially involving children) is a vile criminal who should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Unfortunately every nationality has their criminal element, and it just makes my blood boil when people judge Albanians on theirs

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:25 pm

Wanderer wrote:
thirdwave wrote:Somehow I`m not at all surprised that Albanians are involved in such scams..I have met many Albanians in my line of work & most of them are not very nice people.Most hold this country in extreme contempt are here just to sponge off the system. It may be that the majority who came to this country from Albania were of the lower socioeconomic classes so are prone to this sort of behaviour. I suppose the UK is paying the price for waging an unjust war on Serbia, which in turn forced it to recognise many Albanians masquerading as Kosovars as 'refugees' & grant them asylum..

It's the same in the Russian Brides game, the girls that enrol on marriage and dating sites are in the main from the bottom of a very dirty barrel.

As regular viewers will know, I'm very suspicious of international dating, I think most people underestimate the social, cultural and language differences that aren't really apparent in MSN and a quick holiday.
Wanderer, I suppose it holds true for any form of migration, regardless of whether its inward or outward..An individual only leaves his/her country of birth if his destination holds the prospect of a better life (me included :wink: ) I am very sceptical of the term 'asylum' as I am convinced that almost all international migration is economical in nature.Many warzones have relatively peaceful regions adjoining them & the UN operates a system whereby it allocates refugees to countries which it considers safe. Therefore, I see no reason why refugees fleeing conflict feel the need to get on the first boat/truck heading to Western Europe.

(I know I might be accused of being a dearly beloved for saying this but) I think the trouble with places like Albania & Somalia is that the poor economic development, non existent judiciary, the general degree of social decay,lack of values & ubiquitous criminality in these countries mean that the majority of people who migrate from them tend to be ill educated & criminogenic in nature, especially as unskilled migrants mostly tend to be from the lower rungs of society.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:35 pm

thirdwave wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Wanderer, I suppose it holds true for any form of migration, regardless of whether its inward or outward..An individual only leaves his/her country of birth if his destination holds the prospect of a better life (me included :wink: ) I am very sceptical of the term 'asylum' as I am convinced that almost all international migration is economical in nature.Many warzones have relatively peaceful regions adjoining them & the UN operates a system whereby it allocates refugees to countries which it considers safe. Therefore, I see no reason why refugees fleeing conflict feel the need to get on the first boat/truck heading to Western Europe.

(I know I might be accused of being a dearly beloved for saying this but) I think the trouble with places like Albania & Somalia is that the poor economic development, non existent judiciary, the general degree of social decay,lack of values & ubiquitous criminality in these countries mean that the majority of people who migrate from them tend to be ill educated & criminogenic in nature, especially as unskilled migrants mostly tend to be from the lower rungs of society.
For people who believe in open borders, like me, your argument is nonsensical. Why shouldn't anyone from any part of the world go whereever they like in the world to earn a living or do whatever they want? Borders and immigration control as we understand them are artificial creations of the 20th century and quite frankly it's about time we got rid of them.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:35 pm

clairey wrote:
thirdwave wrote:Somehow I`m not at all surprised that Albanians are involved in such scams..I have met many Albanians in my line of work & a lot of them were not very nice people.Most hold this country in extreme contempt are here just to sponge off the system. It may be that the majority who came to this country from Albania were of the lower socioeconomic classes so are prone to this sort of behaviour. I suppose the UK is paying the price for waging an unjust war on Serbia, which in turn forced it to recognise many Albanians masquerading as Kosovars as 'refugees' & grant them asylum..
Would you kindly keep your dearly beloved comments about Albanians to yourself? You think it's only Albanians who try to get round the immigration rules? Get real.
Having travelled round Albania, I'll be the first to admit that they do have social and economic problems, but don't attack the people. I could point you in the direction of a great number of Brits who are sponging off the system. And as for holding this country in comtempt, I've yet to meet 1 Albanian who does, and I know a lot of Albanians. The vast majority are some of the kindest, loyal and respectful people you could ever hope to meet.
Clairey, I can understand your indignation at my comments but they are based entirely on my interactions with Albanians & not on heresay. There might be Brits sponging off the system, the only difference being that a DISPROPRTIONATE number of Albanians & Somalis etc seem to be doing the same. They also tend to be involved in crime more often than other ethnic groups. I am sure we are civilized enough to have a debate on the issue without accusing each other of beloved or lovely...

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:35 pm

thirdwave wrote:(I know I might be accused of being a dearly beloved for saying this but) I think the trouble with places like Albania & Somalia is that the poor economic development, non existent judiciary, the general degree of social decay,lack of values & ubiquitous criminality in these countries mean that the majority of people who migrate from them tend to be ill educated & criminogenic in nature, especially as unskilled migrants mostly tend to be from the lower rungs of society.
If you think Albania has a lack of values, then you clearly don't know very much about Albanian society. Their values and traditions are probably the most important things to them after their family. And as for "ubiquitous criminality", I would say you're safer in Tirana than you are in London. But then that's maybe because, according to your theory, it's the majority of the criminal element that have moved to the UK.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:41 pm

Dawie wrote:
thirdwave wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

For people who believe in open borders, like me, your argument is nonsensical. Why shouldn't anyone from any part of the world go whereever they like in the world to earn a living or do whatever they want? Borders and immigration control as we understand them are artificial creations of the 20th century and quite frankly it's about time we got rid of them.
Dawie, I totally agree that international borders are a nuisance but one has to accept that there are economical, cultural, moral disparities between nations & open borders should not be used as a means of exploiting another country or exporting criminality. I am grateful to the UK for having offered me the oppurtunity to better my life & I would expect everybody who comes here to feel the same, comply with the law of the land & add value to the economy. It hurts to see MY hard earned money wasted on a bunch on freeloaders who wish ruin on this country (due to religious convictions or whatever) but feel absoultely comfortable living off it.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:45 pm

clairey wrote:
thirdwave wrote:(I know I might be accused of being a dearly beloved for saying this but) I think the trouble with places like Albania & Somalia is that the poor economic development, non existent judiciary, the general degree of social decay,lack of values & ubiquitous criminality in these countries mean that the majority of people who migrate from them tend to be ill educated & criminogenic in nature, especially as unskilled migrants mostly tend to be from the lower rungs of society.
If you think Albania has a lack of values, then you clearly don't know very much about Albanian society. Their values and traditions are probably the most important things to them after their family. And as for "ubiquitous criminality", I would say you're safer in Tirana than you are in London. But then that's maybe because, according to your theory, it's the majority of the criminal element that have moved to the UK.

Values & traditions which presumably involve 'blood feuds' & 'honour killings'....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4273020.stm

http://www.actnow.com.au/Issues/Blood_feuds.aspx

http://stophonourkillings.com/index.php ... le&sid=229

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:51 pm

thirdwave wrote:Clairey, I can understand your indignation at my comments but they are based entirely on my interactions with Albanians & not on heresay. There might be Brits sponging off the system, the only difference being that a DISPROPRTIONATE number of Albanians & Somalis etc seem to be doing the same. They also tend to be involved in crime more often than other ethnic groups. I am sure we are civilized enough to have a debate on the issue without accusing each other of beloved or lovely...
I am civilised enough not to make sweeping generalisations about other nationalities. I find, however, that when others are not, it tends to smack of beloved. Of course, you have every right to dislike the Albanians you have met. But perhaps you disliked them as people, rathar than as Albanians?

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:04 pm

You'll find that most Albanians abhor blood feuds. Unfortunately there are still a minority in the far North of the country that still follow the Kanun (The set of rules from the Middle Ages that first set out the idea of blood feuds). The Albanian government is working hard to erradicate the problem, but yes, sadly there are still those who choose to act that way.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Although I have only experience with Russia and Russians, from my first hand experience I can say the majority of Russian's I've met in the UK have been 'dodgy' in someway. I've seen many Russian women do the same trick as done to the OP, more than just chance...

On the other hand when in Russia I don't see anything like this, everyone seems to toil honestly trying to make the best of their lives.

So I tend to think those from these less well-off countries who actively seek partners abroad are doing so primarily for their own economic betterment not for love, and these people seem to be more ruthless and without scruples.