ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

views on renouncing brtish citizenship for eea permt

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: views on renouncing brtish citizenship for eea permt

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:34 pm

louise. wrote:ahh ok, so he will have to attend to hand everything in? he dont just post it?
That's what we had to do. Again, not sure about USA.

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:40 pm

chaoclive wrote:
louise. wrote:where is the best place( forum)to post about posting passport may i ask?

Do i need to supply my accommodation details,? im sorry all these questions.
It would still be in the EEA Route forum. You will have to provide details about where you and your partner will live when he gets here. Surely he will be able to live with you? Don't know if that would affect your housing benefit or anything?

Oh of course he be living here :) with regards to showing where he will live when he gets here, im confused ? im sorry, i have a house been here 4 years already . is it when he applies for the residence card that i have to supply my tenancy details do you mean?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:45 pm

louise. wrote:
chaoclive wrote:
louise. wrote:where is the best place( forum)to post about posting passport may i ask?

It would still be in the EEA Route forum. You will have to provide details about where you and your partner will live when he gets here. Surely he will be able to live with you? Don't know if that would affect your housing benefit or anything?

Oh of course he be living here :) with regards to showing where he will live when he gets here, im confused ? im sorry, i have a house been here 4 years already . is it when he applies for the residence card that i have to supply my tenancy details do you mean?
The EEA FP application will ask for his address in the UK. You can just add your address on the form. You don't need your tenancy

When he applies for the residence card you will have to provide EVIDENCE of him living with you (well, actually he doesn't HAVE to live with you) e.g, bank statements/utilities/letters from the NHS/tenancy agreement etc.

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks so much, this final bit is the bit i have been dreading. Out of the few years we have been together we have spent a lot of it apart, thanks to immigration, you spend hours on skype, trips to one another they not cheap , the emails we send account to thousands in one month alone to keep one another close! and the kids miss him. Just want to get this right first time, so we can finally be a family you know.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:57 pm

louise. wrote:Thanks so much, this final bit is the bit i have been dreading. Out of the few years we have been together we have spent a lot of it apart, thanks to immigration, you spend hours on skype, trips to one another they not cheap , the emails we send account to thousands in one month alone to keep one another close! and the kids miss him. Just want to get this right first time, so we can finally be a family you know.
I don't think it will be too hard. Don't stress just yet!

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:01 pm

I will try not too. But one step at a a time hey :) will let you know once my renunciation come through , i was told by cashiers when i made payment that they have already sent my Irish passport back to me . That was posted yesterday. So fingers crossed not long to go.

Have a lovely evening :)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:08 pm

louise. wrote:I will try not too. But one step at a a time hey :) will let you know once my renunciation come through , i was told by cashiers when i made payment that they have already sent my Irish passport back to me . That was posted yesterday. So fingers crossed not long to go.

Have a lovely evening :)
Good! At least it's on the way :):)

louise.

Post by louise. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:40 pm

I have been reading though the EEA forum whch has panicked me even more :( however chin up as they say.

I am rather confused to something, I have copied the bit im referring too below.
You must show that your EEA family member has a permanent right of residence or is one of the following if they’ve been in the UK for more than 3 months:

financially independent, eg bank statements
Your family member must have full health insurance (comprehensive sickness insurance) if they’re studying or financially independent.

Do i need health insurance? and do i need to supply bank statements? stupid question but what is financially independent in this circumstance? :?

louise.

Post by louise. » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:18 pm

Update , still waiting :( seems thats all i have been doing for the best part of a year. Renunciation application received 5th may , payment declined then taken mid june, As i enclosed a pre paid envelope for the return of my Irish passport they took that as lets send this back now. So end of June they sent back BOTH of my passports with a cover letter thanking me for my application for British citizenship :!: On the bottom of that letter it said documents enclosed, British passport and Irish passport hmm surely that should have made someone think there and then... You could probably imagine my face.... I called the only number i have the cashiers as i was no way going to wait for a email response , the cashiers basically said "oh its a error dont worry about it and laughed it off saying besides British citizenship is 1000 pounds so you have paid for renunciation, its because we mainly deal with British citizenship, someone obviously didnt pay much attention when sending letter"... my heart sank with those words, im thinking great noone is paying attention. Anyway they said not to worry the renunciation application is in and they would have took a copy of my Irish passport before sending it back, however im like but you need my british passport , so at my expense sent back BOTH passports via special delivery so they cant come back to me saying we haven't got your documents.. And here we are over 4 weeks later and approaching 3 months on the 5th august... drained is the word i feel.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:02 pm

louise. wrote:Update , still waiting :( seems thats all i have been doing for the best part of a year. Renunciation application received 5th may , payment declined then taken mid june, As i enclosed a pre paid envelope for the return of my Irish passport they took that as lets send this back now. So end of June they sent back BOTH of my passports with a cover letter thanking me for my application for British citizenship :!: On the bottom of that letter it said documents enclosed, British passport and Irish passport hmm surely that should have made someone think there and then... You could probably imagine my face.... I called the only number i have the cashiers as i was no way going to wait for a email response , the cashiers basically said "oh its a error dont worry about it and laughed it off saying besides British citizenship is 1000 pounds so you have paid for renunciation, its because we mainly deal with British citizenship, someone obviously didnt pay much attention when sending letter"... my heart sank with those words, im thinking great noone is paying attention. Anyway they said not to worry the renunciation application is in and they would have took a copy of my Irish passport before sending it back, however im like but you need my british passport , so at my expense sent back BOTH passports via special delivery so they cant come back to me saying we haven't got your documents.. And here we are over 4 weeks later and approaching 3 months on the 5th august... drained is the word i feel.
OMG! They are a nightmare. I wouldn't worry about it for the moment. You have done all you can do just now. Just wait for the response now. It won't be long now!

louise.

Post by louise. » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi Chaoclive good to hear from you .

Oh i hope your right . Every day when the postman comes i hope its my renunciation thats back.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:09 pm

louise. wrote:Hi Chaoclive good to hear from you .

Oh i hope your right . Every day when the postman comes i hope its my renunciation thats back.
Don't worry. It's in process :) Some will take longer (due to 'lack of payment details' etc) but it will come through in the end!

Might as well get everything else ready for the EEA FP in the mean time :)

louise.

Post by louise. » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:04 pm

Hi Chaoclive i have held off sending everything to my husband as im not sure if they would want my most recent payslip? I prob sound silly...i have got all my payslips for last 2 years until this month plus letter confirming my employment which also confirms date i started and my hours of 16 and states it a perm contract, if i send all that to my husband and the renunciation comes in august would they request that payslip? or should i courier my docs as soon as my renunciation is through?

May i ask did you get any early indication of when your application was processed like email / call. Or was it random through post.

:)

mgb

Post by mgb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:06 am

I have a question.
What is the sense for a US citizen to apply for a family permit?
A US citizen has the right to enter the UK anyway via his passport.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:12 am

louise. wrote:Hi Chaoclive i have held off sending everything to my husband as im not sure if they would want my most recent payslip? I prob sound silly...i have got all my payslips for last 2 years until this month plus letter confirming my employment which also confirms date i started and my hours of 16 and states it a perm contract, if i send all that to my husband and the renunciation comes in august would they request that payslip? or should i courier my docs as soon as my renunciation is through?

May i ask did you get any early indication of when your application was processed like email / call. Or was it random through post.

:)
I think posting the docs would be fine when the renunciation is through, you'll be able to send it all at the one time. However, you might save a little money if you were to send some in advance though (if you don't have to pay for a fast courier service)? [Just a thought]

You would definitely want to keep some copies just in case of anything getting lost in the post.

I didn't get any notification of when my renunciation was processed. It just arrived in the post out of the blue!

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:17 am

mgb wrote:I have a question.
What is the sense for a US citizen to apply for a family permit?
A US citizen has the right to enter the UK anyway via his passport.
You're right, they can enter the UK without having a visa, but they don't have an absolute right to enter, i.e. if they've had immigration issues with the UK in the past. If he has an EEA FP it's very hard to refuse him entry. Good luck with getting a US citizen (or any other non-EEA citizen) a bank account or a national insurance number without having some form of valid visa in their passport. Also, no employer will touch a non-EEA citizen without having some form of proof that they can work in the UK. Whilst the EEA FP doesn't actually state the right to work, it does prove the relationship between the EEA citizen and the non-EEA one. Therefore, it will be easier to prove that he has the right to work in the UK.

Getting the EEA FP will regularize the US citizen's stay in the UK from the start. The next step will be getting a residence card.

mgb

Post by mgb » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:52 am

Immigration problems in the past can be a problem. Beside that a EEA dependant stamp is not so bad and the COA for a EEA2 can come in earlier without a waiting period for the fp.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:04 am

mgb wrote:Immigration problems in the past can be a problem. Beside that a EEA dependant stamp is not so bad and the COA for a EEA2 can come in earlier without a waiting period for the fp.
It's ok if they are entering together...

mgb

Post by mgb » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:14 am

Or the EEA Citizen is waiting at the gate.

mgb

Post by mgb » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:39 am

If you send the passport to Durham for the residence card you have nothing in your hands for proofing anyway independently what is glued or stamped into the passport.
You have to wait for the COA.

tchitchi
Newly Registered

Post by tchitchi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:35 am

Postby louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:05 pm

where is the best place( forum)to post about posting passport may i ask?

well you can just get ypur passport'spassport's copy certified by a postoffice....

mfhkay
Newly Registered

Post by mfhkay » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:21 pm

chaoclive wrote:I'M SURE YOU KNOW MY OPINION ALREADY LOUSE, BUT I AM JUST ADDING THIS AGAIN FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO IS CONSIDERING THIS OPTION.
louise. wrote: However it got me thinking. What are your views? and to the people already renounced, is it something you regretted? are you concerned about the future prospects of a possibility of Uk leaving the EU and do you feel it would affect you? NO REGRETS; NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN MY LIFE; I GET WORKING TAX CREDITS/I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY SAVINGS ACCOUNTS/I HAVE THE RIGHT TO WORK/I GET THE SAME HEALTHCARE AS BEFORE/MY KIDS WOULD BE ENTITLED TO EDUCATION ETC HERE (NOT THAT I WILL BE HAVING ANY) AND MY NATIONAL INSURANCE CONTRIBUTIONS STILL STAND AS IS. I DO NOT VIEW THE RENUNCIATION AS ANYTHING IMPORTANT; IT HAS ENABLED ME TO BE WITH MY PARTNER WITHOUT DANCING AROUND EUROPE TO DO SURINDER SINGH OR MOVING TO IRELAND TO WORK (THIS WOULD HAVE REQUIRED GETTING A PPSN/OPENING BANK ACCOUNTS ETC).

EVEN IF THE UK LEAVES THE EU, IRISH CITIZENS (DUE TO THE COMMON TRAVEL AREA) HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE AND WORK IN THE UK. IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE IF THE UK GOVERNMENT SAID THAT ALL IRISH PEOPLE HAD TO LEAVE THE UK? CONSIDER THE SITUATION IN NORTHERN IRELAND WITH ALL THE TROUBLE THAT WOULD COME!

Me personally, i would not hesitate a move to Ireland , i would have already moved there if it wasnt for kids exams. I have always considered myself Irish than British even before i became a citizen. OF COURSE, A MOVE TO IRELAND WOULD BE A POSSIBILITY, EVEN THOUGH IT IS UNLIKELY TO BE NECESSARY.

I look forward to all your views and opinions and to even be educated by yourselves.
SEE HERE FOR MY FOI REQUEST RE: RENUNCIATION: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-572264
My wife hold irish/british citizenship she sent the document to renounce the thing i am afraid of that she is getting universal credit and she is working now as a british does she have to stop getting the benefit and stop the work as a british and she was always living in london does she have to travel to ireland and back to prove she exercised her right of free movement