ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EEU and EU member moving to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:14 pm

In addition to what archigabe posted, static got the work permit under a scheme for spouses of EU nationals if I remember correctly, and that scheme has now stopped.

JAJ
Australia

Re: An Observation !

Post by JAJ » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:18 am

archigabe wrote: We know a couple (British&South African) who have been married 15 years with 4 kids but still denied residency because they haven't lived in another E.u Country.As expected they are absolutely livid that the Irish government classifies their marriage to be also to be one of 'convenience'.
I'm not sure if I see the leap of logic here. The Irish government doesn't see itself as being under any obligation to grant residency to the spouse of a citizen of another EU state where the couple were not previously resident in an EU state.

Whether they think it's a "marriage of convenience" or not is irrelevant.

Like others in the same situation the couple in question would be better advised to forget the Republic of Ireland and look at Northern Ireland instead, or the mainland United Kingdom. Every cloud has a silver lining - the SA spouse will then be able to get British citizenship.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:00 am

This prior residency in another E.U country was a hastily drawn up measure in 2006 in response to a media furore in Ireland about the large number of eastern european/failed asylum seeker couples.There are better ways to check on 'marriages of conveniences'.The kumar guy with his dodgy background didn't do anyone any favors either.