ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship By Descent, HOW?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Re: British Citizenship By Descent, HOW?

Post by Jawad94 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Of course there is no embassy in Syria.
I totally understand the fears of Syrian citizens, but I come from a respectful background. However, before an embassy takes any action, I will provide them with all of my documents, I can also be recommended by British people in UK that I have no relation to any violence in Syria.

I an engineering student working with NGOs that work with the UN organizations, my father worked in the UK as an ophthalmologist for 13 years and my mother is lawyer.

It is not that I cannot leave Syria, but if stay longer than 3 days in Lebanon, I will be considered an illegal settler who will be kicked out from Lebanon with no return.

The only two places I can enter are Lebanon and Sudan, otherwise, it will be a Visa (it's hard to obtain one) or to be an asylum seeker (which is sth I don't need as a British national).

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:18 pm

Jawad94 wrote:Of course there is no embassy in Syria.
I totally understand the fears of Syrian citizens, but I come from a respectful background. However, before an embassy takes any action, I will provide them with all of my documents, I can also be recommended by British people in UK that I have no relation to any violence in Syria.

I an engineering student working with NGOs that work with the UN organizations, my father worked in the UK as an ophthalmologist for 13 years and my mother is lawyer.

It is not that I cannot leave Syria, but if stay longer than 3 days in Lebanon, I will be considered an illegal settler who will be kicked out from Lebanon with no return.

The only two places I can enter are Lebanon and Sudan, otherwise, it will be a Visa (it's hard to obtain one) or to be an asylum seeker (which is sth I don't need as a British national).
If no embassies remain from any EU country then suggest try to call that UK number.

If all you have to do is deliver documents and possibly participate in an interview you should be done in Lebanon within the day (excluding travel time).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:24 pm

I will call them during the opening hours.
But is it going to cost more money for finishing the process within one day? I may not be able to afford more fees :( would they take that into consideration?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:29 pm

Jawad94 wrote:I will call them during the opening hours.
But is it going to cost more money for finishing the process within one day? I may not be able to afford more fees :( would they take that into consideration?
I don't think you will get an answer and a passport in the same day.
My understanding is you deliver the application up front and then either return later (in a few weeks) for the outcome or, possibly, receive the result and your bundle by carrier; (if there is a functioning courier service?? - there is certainly a courier fee payable).

The UK phoneline can, presumably, go into these matters and explain all that in detail.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:44 pm

Here's exactly my problem, I am not allowed to stay in Lebanon more than a week maximum to wait for the passport release, and it's too dangerous to come back to Aleppo.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:58 am

Jawad94 wrote:Here's exactly my problem, I am not allowed to stay in Lebanon more than a week maximum to wait for the passport release, and it's too dangerous to come back to Aleppo.
Do you mean you hope to make a one-way trip? (applying for and picking up passport and then keeping on travelling?).

I think you need to take advice from that FCO helpline on such a scenario.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:41 am

There may be other countries that you can go to?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:56 am

As an EU citizen, you automatically have the protection of any EU member state embassy if you are in a country which does not have an embassy of your own country.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:41 am

A problem is demonstrating British citizenship, without a British passport, to any EU member state embassy.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:30 pm

I called to the FCO, they didn't provide me with any help and the advice they gave is to call the passport advice line :!:

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:36 pm

Jawad94 wrote:I called to the FCO, they didn't provide me with any help and the advice they gave is to call the passport advice line :!:
Very disappointing as clearly vital and potentially life-changing questions for you include how long will the process take and how many trips will be required.

It seems all you can do is try calling again and insist on speaking to someone more senior and in authority.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:47 pm

So far I've sent an email to the address provided in the embassy in Damascus and another to the one in Beirut. However, no reply received from both :cry:

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:32 pm

Jawad94 wrote:Hello again :)

I have set an appointment in the Visa Application Center in Beirut on 18/7/2016.
@Jawad94, any news on the outcome?

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:50 pm

noajthan wrote:
Jawad94 wrote:Hello again :)

I have set an appointment in the Visa Application Center in Beirut on 18/7/2016.
@Jawad94, any news on the outcome?
I had to delay that appointment, it was just two days ago when I submitted the applications in Beirut at the UK Visa Application Center. I haven't received an email yet notifying me that the process has started (maybe because it's the weekend today and yesterday). However, there's something confusing me! I asked the employee there at the UK Visa Application Center about the interview, she said that their center isn't responsible for interviews; their only job is to deliver and applications and documents to London, and making sure the important documents are not missed in addition to receiving passports in case things went fine.

Thank you so much for asking :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:11 pm

Jawad94 wrote:I had to delay that appointment, it was just two days ago when I submitted the applications in Beirut at the UK Visa Application Center. I haven't received an email yet notifying me that the process has started (maybe because it's the weekend today and yesterday). However, there's something confusing me! I asked the employee there at the UK Visa Application Center about the interview, she said that their center isn't responsible for interviews; their only job is to deliver and applications and documents to London, and making sure the important documents are not missed in addition to receiving passports in case things went fine.

Thank you so much for asking :)
Well we're rooting for you. Hope the journey was not too difficult.

It maybe the interview is optional depending on the circumstances, (perhaps depending on quality of documentation bundle and similar factors).
Now it's just a case of sitting tight and waiting for next instructions.

Even from UK feedback and communication from HO and HMPO is patchy and inconsistent (in my wife's case we heard nothing for weeks and weeks);
don't worry too much if it goes quiet for a while.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:23 pm

This seems very relaxing :)

One of the things that I was asked during the appointment was an address proof (although it is not marked by the asterisk * in the guidance notes) she said you might be asked about it which also might cause a delay. Anyways, soon I got back to Aleppo, I asked for one, and I am willing to send it to them before they ask for it. But will there be extra fees for sending missing documents?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Jawad94 wrote:This seems very relaxing :)

One of the things that I was asked during the appointment was an address proof (although it is not marked by the asterisk * in the guidance notes) she said you might be asked about it which also might cause a delay. Anyways, soon I got back to Aleppo, I asked for one, and I am willing to send it to them before they ask for it. But will there be extra fees for sending missing documents?
No, no extra fees.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:00 pm

My last updates:

The fees have been taken from the Visa Card account; however, no email, SMS, or a phone call received from the HMPO yet to notify me that the process has started, or to include an application number so I would be able to follow up!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Jawad94 wrote:My last updates:

The fees have been taken from the Visa Card account; however, no email, SMS, or a phone call received from the HMPO yet to notify me that the process has started, or to include an application number so I would be able to follow up!
Don't expect too much in terms of communication and status updates; even applicants based in UK are often left in the dark.
Good luck.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:42 pm

I have recently emailed the HMPO asking about the interview; whether it is going to take place at the final stage of the passport progress or not. Their response was that an interview is not a must in all cases, it could occur at anytime and for a multitude of reasons.

After a month spent of the beginning of the process, is it considered a good sign that no one has contacted me yet? Does it mean that everything is fine? I still have two months to wait :cry:

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 pm

Jawad94 wrote:I have recently emailed the HMPO asking about the interview; whether it is going to take place at the final stage of the passport progress or not. Their response was that an interview is not a must in all cases, it could occur at anytime and for a multitude of reasons.

After a month spent of the beginning of the process, is it considered a good sign that no one has contacted me yet? Does it mean that everything is fine? I still have two months to wait :cry:
HO moves in mysterious ways. You can't read anything into it nor discern meaningful patterns of behaviour.
You may as well try poking around in chicken entrails.

Also worth noting it is vacation time in UK and there have been a number of bank holidays too.
So there may be both a holiday rush or backlog (not to mention a Brexit effect) and a shortage of staff on duty.

Clearly its hard, probably more so in your particular circumstances, but all you can really do is sit tight and wait it out.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:05 pm

@Jawad94, hang in there.

Jawad94
United Kingdom

Post by Jawad94 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:09 pm

We're still waiting, but so far, no contact has been made from the HMPO after six weeks of the beginning of the process.

The good thing is that there is an American-Russian Truce Agreement in Syria, especially in my city, Aleppo. I don't know how long it could last, but we're tying to enjoy it to the max :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:31 pm

Jawad94 wrote:We're still waiting, but so far, no contact has been made from the HMPO after six weeks of the beginning of the process.

The good thing is that there is an American-Russian Truce Agreement in Syria, especially in my city, Aleppo. I don't know how long it could last, but we're tying to enjoy it to the max :)
Maybe a couple more weeks to go then.

And if the truce brings some respite then it can only help.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:55 pm

Hang in there