ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Interview Feedback weird

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ohgod
Newly Registered

Oh! God! Please Forgive Me.

Post by ohgod » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:09 am

Hi,
I am in UK in HSMP, looking for jobs (IT) .I like to share my experience with this forum. It will be little IT and India focused, because it is my personal experience
First few things for who are in India/Other countries and planning to come to UK or planning for HSMP
1. Please don’t see the numbers of jobs in job portal in your skill.Most of them are false or repetition of same job by different agent (never happens in India).Please check you will find that.
2. If you are not very HOT in IT job market (I am searching what is that…) don’t think you will get call from India/Outside UK. Even if you get, they will not consider you after one or two rounds.
3. Please don’t believe agents in UK, they are just nothing but a group salesman who always try to get benefit from you to meet their monthly targets.
4. I will tell you my interview experience. In UK they will never ask you any difficult technical question. In India, good IT company’s interviews are much tougher than this. But after answering the entire question perfectly please don’t feel happy. Because after 10 calls from you they will tell “You did not pass the technical testâ€

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:28 am

Bang on....Every thing which you mentioned is sooo true...Especially the agents characteristics....If you read this entire board,you will come acorss similar feelings...

Ashish

netacct

Post by netacct » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:35 am

Handling agents here is the most difficult thing...It does take a bit while to learn that. But unfortunately, you can not get a job without Agents.

However, on CWJobs.Co.UK employers advertise job directly and I got one offer through them.

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:38 pm

ashishashah wrote:Bang on....Every thing which you mentioned is sooo true...Especially the agents characteristics....If you read this entire board,you will come acorss similar feelings...

Ashish
Yup, most of the statements are true. Dealing with agents is a skill, and it is hard to believe that whether you get a job or not directly depend on the hand of the agents who do not know anything about what you do. They just do word-match and then forward to the employers.

If you are really good and scarce in UK, you can just sit there waiting for calls, regardless of where you are, after you have submitted the CV. They will call you many many times, just to get the deal done. You'll feel that they WANT you so desperately.

philgeorge999

Re: Oh! God! Please Forgive Me.

Post by philgeorge999 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:16 am

ohgod wrote:At last I like to request UK government
Please publish an authenticated list of jobs available in each sector and how many HSMP already approved in each sector. Is it good for your country to take top earning engineers/doc from other country and forced them to work in super market?
WHAT?!?! It is your choice to come to the UK to find work. You are not being forced to come.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

philgeorge999

Re: Oh! God! Please Forgive Me.

Post by philgeorge999 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:34 pm

ohgod wrote: 1. Please don’t see the numbers of jobs in job portal in your skill.Most of them are false or repetition of same job by different agent (never happens in India).Please check you will find that.
Yes, this is true. Agents want to get as many CVs as possible (as it makes it more likely they'll be able to earn a fee when there are jobs to fill), so they pretend they have jobs that don't really exist.
ohgod wrote: 2. If you are not very HOT in IT job market (I am searching what is that…) don’t think you will get call from India/Outside UK. Even if you get, they will not consider you after one or two rounds.
Companies want to see who they're employing. The odds are stacked against you 50:1 compared to people who can attend face to face interviews.
ohgod wrote: 4. I will tell you my interview experience. In UK they will never ask you any difficult technical question. In India, good IT company’s interviews are much tougher than this. But after answering the entire question perfectly please don’t feel happy. Because after 10 calls from you they will tell “You did not pass the technical testâ€

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Fri May 02, 2008 8:36 pm

Whew!

this topic has really taken a wrong turn

Anyways im glad to let you all know I finally got a job and the prognosis of most people here that the british are polite and thats why they say good things in the interview were all wrong.

I know guys who havent really heard these things in any interview and havent got a job yet. Infact the firm which had did such a thing (because of whom I started this post) reverted back to me today since the guy they offered the job bailed on them and I was there second choice. I was actually there first but they preferred that guy over me just cause he was from EU and no Visa issues were involved as they were afraid I may not get an extension

In all I gave 7 interviews got 2 job offers and would have got 2 more but since I accepted one I let the others know that i was not interested.

I found that there are hundreds of jobs in the market right now in my line(java j2ee) and I used to apply for around 100 jobs each week.

I think there is no use calling an agent as some people suggested if your CV is good enough and a proper match the agents run after you. Infact the agents I called got an impression that I was desperate and so didnt even put me forward and many others who I didnt call did.

Ofcourse the above is just my experience every person may have his own experiences.

I think to find a job in UK you have to forget everything about interviews in India where its more like a question answer session(in my experience) here interviews are discussions so just chill and pray to god that luck favours you and you will go through.

Cheers

December31

Congrats!

Post by December31 » Sat May 03, 2008 7:32 pm

pranjam,

Congratulations on getting the job offers!

I am here in London on HSMP since one month. I have 4.4 years of experience in SAP ABAP in MNCs in India. Finding it difficult to get interview calls, I only had 2 interviews so far, not made it. You mentioned that there are around hunderd jobs for java-j2ee per week, for ABAP it only 10 to 15, that is making it much more difficult.

Both my wife(as HSMP dependent) and myself( Main Applicant ) go visas at once. She has 2 year of experience in Java J2ee in an UK based MNC in India, I am thinking I get here as she might be able to get a job earlier than me.
1. Shall I send her CV to you so that you will be able to advice if she has a good chance here.
2. Can you please let me know how many years are experince you have on Java J2ee, I am apprehensive about bring her here as her 2 years of experience will not be sufficient to fetch a job here.

Thanks in Advance,
Rajesh

pranjam

Re: Congrats!

Post by pranjam » Sat May 03, 2008 8:29 pm

December31 wrote:pranjam,

Congratulations on getting the job offers!

I am here in London on HSMP since one month. I have 4.4 years of experience in SAP ABAP in MNCs in India. Finding it difficult to get interview calls, I only had 2 interviews so far, not made it. You mentioned that there are around hunderd jobs for java-j2ee per week, for ABAP it only 10 to 15, that is making it much more difficult.

Both my wife(as HSMP dependent) and myself( Main Applicant ) go visas at once. She has 2 year of experience in Java J2ee in an UK based MNC in India, I am thinking I get here as she might be able to get a job earlier than me.
1. Shall I send her CV to you so that you will be able to advice if she has a good chance here.
2. Can you please let me know how many years are experince you have on Java J2ee, I am apprehensive about bring her here as her 2 years of experience will not be sufficient to fetch a job here.

Thanks in Advance,
Rajesh
Thank you

I have send you a pm

yeah sap abap is sort of a niche skill even in India there are not a lot of companies working on it in comparison to Java J2ee.

In short I dont think her exp will matter people here dont care that much for exp as far as my exp from all the interviews I gave goes

Its more the skills, your exp is just a deciding factor for your salary but if you have got a large number of J2EE skills front end, back end, server issues, deployment issues etc then you will get one eventually.