ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switzerland joins Schengen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:01 pm

86ti wrote:The EEA Joint Commitee appears to include all EEA and all EFTA states. Their recent annual report mentions the Directive 2004/38/EC in point 53.
From the link you provided the EEA joint comittee is made up as follow:

"The Joint Committee, which generally meets once a month, is made up of ambassadors of the EEA EFTA States, representatives from the European Commission and EU Member States."

CH is an EFTA state, not an EEA EFTA state.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:52 am

Thanks a lot for that flyboy :!:

So the situation remains legal, but illogical. (>>see here<< and >>here<<)

Imagine the following imaginary conversation in Dublin or London:

Q: What will you do this weekend?
A: Today I'll apply for my Schengen-Visa which I hope to get in 2 weeks, and tomorrow I'll fly to Berlin.

--> Makes sense? NO?! Thought so ;)

*sigh*

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:17 am

flyboy wrote:For directive 2004/38 to be applicable in CH, the free movement agreement between EU and CH will have to be modified. And considering some of the provisions provided in the directive some of the anti EU / foreigner parties in CH will most probably collect enough signatures to force a referendum on the issue before it can take effect in CH.
So what part from the directive is not also in the free movement agreement?

The Swiss had no problem accepting UK/Irish family permits before joining Schengen. You point out that the "border code" (edit: actually you linked to the Schengen handbook not the Schengen border code.) has been modified recently with respect to the FPs and Switzerland. But it doesn't make any sense to me as I cannot see why the this modification was necessary.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:40 am

Ok, maybe I understand now. Schengen replaced everything in Switzerland that was visa related. As the Schengen border code only referes to the directive as exception and the directive is not applicable in Switzerland there is no legal basis anymore. The only option seems to be to modify the free movement agreement as flyboy pointed out. Does that sound right?

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:32 am

there is definitely a second option: UK and Ireland to implement Schengen fully as well!

Generally speaking: all UK governments in the last 30 years or so were keen to optout from any EU initiative that was beneficial to the man in the street: Schengen, the euro, workers' rights, to name a few big ones.
And now, surprise, surprise, nobody in UK likes the EU because it doesn't bring them any advantage!

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:14 am

fysicus wrote:...the euro...
That's an especially funny topic:
  • When the € was first introduced it went down against the US$ and also against the £.
  • In hindsight this would have been a great time to adopt the €, as yee would have gotten lots of €s for your £s BUT
  • British logic: "The € is so weak, why should we introduce it...?"
  • Now that the € is strong yee would get little €s for your £s, so that's a reason in itself NOT to introduce it now.
  • Should the £ ever go up again, we're back to the first argument.
It's a vicious circle. Considering
fysicus wrote:...all UK governments in the last 30 years or so were keen to optout from any EU initiative that was beneficial to the man in the street: Schengen, the euro, workers' rights, to name a few big ones...
  • Integration, in the form of the aspects you mentioned:
    • Euro
    • Schengen and
    • other things
  • Automatically leads to helping each other, even if that's not directly visible:
    • Imagine the € hadn't been introduced
    • Some imaginary domestic reason in country X would have sent X-currency into freefall: Big Problem
    • Since we have the Euro, such a problem would have sent the € down a few cents, the affected country wouldn't have suffered as badly overall.
  • In the long-run such negative occurrences happen everywhere
    • Thus the "exported problems" are evenly distributed and equally carried...
    • Problem's peaks are not as bad as they could be
    • No-one in the community suffers sustainable damage
    • Everyone gains a lot
  • Similar to the €, 2004/38/EC allows compensating for supply and demand in workers, lowering overall unemployment
  • Schengen is a matter of trust
    • NOT systematically checking at borders
    • While having a centralised database
    • IMPROVES not IMPAIRS overall security.
  • etc...
Considering this, I'd say it's time for a very basic question:

DOES Britain, or does it NOT, want to remain in the EU, while not wanting to involve itself in the major milestones?

I think the UK should leave the EU - as Switzerland shows this is not by definition a bad thing. However, my assessment for GB would be... different ;)

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:41 am

86ti wrote:
flyboy wrote:For directive 2004/38 to be applicable in CH, the free movement agreement between EU and CH will have to be modified. And considering some of the provisions provided in the directive some of the anti EU / foreigner parties in CH will most probably collect enough signatures to force a referendum on the issue before it can take effect in CH.
So what part from the directive is not also in the free movement agreement?

The Swiss had no problem accepting UK/Irish family permits before joining Schengen. You point out that the "border code" (edit: actually you linked to the Schengen handbook not the Schengen border code.) has been modified recently with respect to the FPs and Switzerland. But it doesn't make any sense to me as I cannot see why the this modification was necessary.
Quite a few things aren't in the free movement agreement between the EU and CH, the most obvious being the replacement of a valid family members EU/EEA residence card instead of a visa, as well as being able to prove one's family relationship at the border.
A few other things such as facilitating entrance to extended family members, the retention of rights of family members in certain cases, as well as the automatic right to permanent residence after 5 years (considering at the moment the waiting time for permanent residence is 10 years for non EU nationals - exception US and Canada - as well as for the new EU members which joined in 2004 and 2007 which have to wait 10 years too) .
And the simplified procedure of registering. EU citizens still have to apply for a residency permit as well as their family members - registration certificates(issued same day) and cards for EU nationals and family members don't exist.
Residency in CH for non EU family members arriving directly from outside the EU/EEA (no previous residence in the EU/EEA) is assessed under swiss law, so the Metock ruling as no effect on that in CH either.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:14 pm

ca.funke wrote:Leaves the funny case of Andorra... UNREAL... :roll:
I just happened to find this website:
http://www.mae.ad/angles/htmls/menu/dni.html

Scroll to the end to find this:
Andorra requires visas from NO-ONE. However, as you must cross either Spain or France in order to get to Andorra, nationals from outside the Schengen zone should find out if they need a visa to enter and exit countries in the Schengen zone.
While the EU takes the impractical stance that a multi-entry is needed to visit Andorra, Andorra itself has the most practical approach of them all: As they don't require visas from anyone, they need to offer no visa-services at all.

The fact that ppl have to cross through Spain or France automatically protects Andora. Still, if Andorra doesn't like someone to stay they can kick them out.

That's the coolest and most practical regulation ever, except that they cannot autonomously decide on who may visit. Access to their own country is totally out of their control, which I guess is something that they happily ignore.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Re: Switzerland joins Schengen

Post by magsi23 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:07 am

charles4u wrote:
archigabe wrote:Switzerland joins Schengen

http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/the ... reise.html

Switzerland is now a part of Schengen, third country nationals with residence permits of Ireland and the U.K will now have to apply for visas for entry into Switzerland...unfortunately, this is a step backward for EEA and Stamp4EU fam residence card holders of U.K and Ireland.
Wow....this is a good news, Yes its good Switzerland don't accept Residence card as family from UK and Ireland as visa-free....good to know

Why is this such a good news to you?
Magsi

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Thu May 21, 2009 8:01 pm

magsi23 wrote:
charles4u wrote:
archigabe wrote:Switzerland joins Schengen

http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/the ... reise.html

Switzerland is now a part of Schengen, third country nationals with residence permits of Ireland and the U.K will now have to apply for visas for entry into Switzerland...unfortunately, this is a step backward for EEA and Stamp4EU fam residence card holders of U.K and Ireland.
Wow....this is a good news, Yes its good Switzerland don't accept Residence card as family from UK and Ireland as visa-free....good to know

Why is this such a good news to you?
Cus UK and Ireland dont accept other EU family residence card as visa-free and I am happy if other EU countries dont accept theirs too.
Charles4u

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Mon May 25, 2009 3:51 pm

charles4u wrote:Cus UK and Ireland dont accept other EU family residence card as visa-free and I am happy if other EU countries dont accept theirs too.
I'd be happy too, if this would negatively affect those taking such decisions.

However, those taking such decisions are not even remotely aware of the exact consequences. (In this case the Swiss government and those who agreed on the Schengen-inclusion on the EU-side)

As a summary, this is idiotic and adding to the mess.

It would be nice if all responsible politicians would be allowed to cross borders on Tuesdays and Saturdays ONLY, until the situation is at least logically comprehensive (which would be equally idiotic and severely impeding their lives). Obviously this is not going to happen, and thus nothing is going to happen :(

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Mon May 25, 2009 4:02 pm

ca.funke wrote:
I'd be happy too, if this would negatively affect those taking such decisions.

However, those taking such decisions are not even remotely aware of the exact consequences. (In this case the Swiss government and those who agreed on the Schengen-inclusion on the EU-side)

As a summary, this is idiotic and adding to the mess.

It would be nice if all responsible politicians would be allowed to cross borders on Tuesdays and Saturdays ONLY, until the situation is at least logically comprehensive (which would be equally idiotic and severely impeding their lives). Obviously this is not going to happen, and thus nothing is going to happen :(
Do you know I saw somewhere saying family members of Romania and Bulgaria can accompany there EU spouse without visa to Switzerland...but not family members of UK and Ireland.

All this is becoming politics...
Charles4u

caribbeangeorge
Newly Registered

Bear with us, we Swiss are confused

Post by caribbeangeorge » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:01 am

Dear Forum,

I just found this threat, here my my reply as Swiss Citizen

Our Government is confused, they are eager to make no mistake and over shoot a bit - you don't believe, well here is my story.

I am living abroad in the Caribbean, married happily to a Russian Women, we have one son and our daughter has to be manufactured yet, we are working on it...

How happy I was when the news coming up Swiss will join Schengen in 2005! then 2006, then 2007, then finally December 2008

This will make our life so much easier - so I thought. Traveling with my wife anywhere to a country having a dog with more then two flies on it requires a visa. The Russian passport, the passport with the plague - nobody wants to touch it - YAK

Living on a small little island you don't have all the embassies of the world close by, so you need first a visa to be able to apply for a visa. I spend year by year more then 3000.00 just for passport shipping, crazy!!

But all this will be history as our glorious Government decided to join Schengen - BRAVO!

So I thought...

As my wife still had a valid 2 year Swiss visa, the Swiss embassy could first could not issue a new Swiss-Schengen visa - the old one first had to expire. OK so we waited another 6 month, meanwhile sending her passport happily back and forth with Paris to get a French Schengen visa she need for transit. Issued exactly by itinerary, not a day more!

As the expiration day arrive, her passport will expire in December 09, makes no sense to apply for her the new Swiss Schengen visa, as it will be only valid a short Period - her US visa however will be valid together with the new passport, how cute and thoughtful...

So, after 3 month we have her new passport - but now MY SWISS embassy want Euro 60.00 from us - Ehm, sorry, it's my wife...
Even after proof her that we never had to pay the French and showing her the tax regulation that Spouses of Swiss or EU citizen don't need to pay this fee - we are still "negotiating" this one with the embassy (keep in mind that this "free" visa cost me USD 150.00 shipping each way, also $ 300.00 in total)

Then the embassy figured out that Switzerland is not in charge anymore for the visa as first entry is ether France (Paris) or Holland as there is no direct flight from here. Even as I told them this are only transit and not main travel destinations - It felt on deaf ears. So no long term visa as in the past, no multiple entry as in the past, each time we will have to send the passport again and again, but hey, it's FREE .... yeah, right, did I mention the shipping?

Meanwhile, plans changed and I'll close my company here as there are heavily talking of independence so this place will go drain, a real pity.

Again contacting the embassy as now we want return to Switzerland and live there, happily ever after.

So I being told, I first have to apply for my wife and mother of my son for residence allowance (!! -@#**@ allowance!!!!!), who are we just letting everybody cross our borders.

I have to send 4 pictures, a translated and notarized marriage certificate (even though the marriage is registered in Switzerland (another battle) and my wife is registered in SwissStar, the Swiss Census database - THEY KNOW ABOUT IT, in all glorious details ), two Schengen Visa application, CHF 400.00 for fees, copies of my passport, her passport, new police record from country of origin (Moscow, you may know how difficult it is to get one if you are abroad), translated and notarized in English or any official Swiss language (D/I/F), though they have on on file when we registered our marriage and hey, we haven't burglarized any home or robbed a bank lately)

This application has to be sent to the embassy, they will forward it to Bern to the central register, they then will forward it to the state (canton) foreign police and each place has to give their approval, so the whole process should be done in less then 6 month, or eight, or so... who knows?

:evil:

Did I mention that about 3 0/00, thats 3 out of 1000 marriages are closed for economic benefit, also 997 marriages are made out of love and hope for a future together. OK, some fail- but proven is that the divorce rate of bi-national couples are smaller then in national marriages.

Before 1992 she would have received the Swiss passport the same day, but now she has to wait 5 years (if we live in Switzerland) or 7 years if we live foreign until she will receive this holy red paper.

997 marriages going trough all this nonsense of paper work for 3 absusive couples, the child death rate is higher and we have no problem with it.

I suggested to the Swiss goverment follows:
Automatic Swiss passport regardless of time spend together after the second child, the first one could be an accident, two rather not. Even if two children are produced for economic benefit, at last two new Swiss citizen are made as we are a dying race anyway!
No official response received since.

Fact is, my wife is rather a proud Russian, she wouldn't take the Swiss passport if there aren't this travel restrictions imposed to her. And heavy financial burden for our small family.

Due the recent change in US visa with the personal appointment, it means for me two people return ticked plus child 20%, hotel accommodation due odd flight times, sending passports back and forth equals to USD 1800.00

or USD 90.00 per year and person!

At least, I will have 10 years no hassle!

Why Schengen could not introduce a 5 or 10 years visa. What the heck with this 4 days or 2 week visas???

Now, I just received news that with a recent change in visa regulations one digital pictures and fingerprints have to be taken in order for a Schengen visa.

A friend of us, from Kazakhstan just is going trough this. For her visa long de sejour our French consulate is not in duty anymore, the closest French embassy is the one in Dominican Republic, she flew there - being told all what she has to do is leaving the prints and she can go home, the application is previously filed already.

Meanwhile she spends 20 DAYS in an expensive Hotel (plus USD 800 for tickets), given her day by day new instructions whats next (come back in two days, the visa will be ready, the files are lost, the files are found but are in the wrong embassy and she has to produce the whole paperwork from scratch again - including fingerprints, meanwhile the 3rd time.

I don't know, ever wonder why people join Al Quida, start to experiment at home with explosives? We are more then willing to fulfill our obligations, but they have to make sense.

With all due respect, it is going out of hand. If this procedure has to be made for every short term Schengen visa, it's absurd.

Same for the parents of my wife, two people have to fly 2x 4hours from Novosibirsk to Moscow, spend there several days with embassies to leave fingerprints for a two week holiday in Switzerland?

They are pensioners, living on small income of several 100 dollars (rubels)
the flight to Moscow is rather a luxury thing, not to mention Moscow hotels, I consider Moscow the most expensive place on earth!

So, back to the theme, the Swiss government/politicians/embassies are simply over stressed to make everything right.

Don't forget that Serbia kept Switzerland Schengen on hold for one year until THEY checked that Switzerland is ready for Schengen - this was a joke!

The question is rather, is Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria ready for the EU, or has the EU being forced to take these countries in to make sure they will not fall back to Soviet?

Papa Bush told Sovjet Russia, the NATO borders will remain the same, now they want move the border to to Georgia and Ukraine.

It's all nested together, all politricks

Please bear with my government, it's not easy for us (them)

Thanks for your attention

Bye

George

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Bear with us, we Swiss are confused

Post by ca.funke » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:25 am

Hi caribbeangeorge,

thanks for that interesting read. The Schengen-system (but others too) is really very faulty.

From what I heard so far the US-visit is rather easy, straightforward and practical, maybe you can say something on that?

Here some thoughts:
caribbeangeorge wrote:What the heck with this 4 days or 2 week visas???
My usual plea: Visas are usually designed to keep unwanted people out and/or controlled. However, EU-family-members MAY enter and move into the EU + EEA +Switzerland anyway, so why not just confirm this fact with a long-term-visa? What harm could they do, and what´s the purpose of a 5-day-visa, in this case? (If traveling together, they would be allowed to stay longer and/or stay indefinetely. So this is only causing hassle with no benefit to anyone at all)

As handled at present, it encourages people to move into Schengen, even if they usually would prefer to live elsewhere.

Totally wrong incentives are set.

My own case: After having had too much trouble (you wouldn´t believe it) we moved from Ireland (not Schengen) to Switzerland (Schengen). If my wife would have received a 5yr multiple-entry Schengen Visa, we might still live in Ireland. How much sense does that make?

One question for you, caribbeangeorge:
caribbeangeorge wrote:Don't forget that Serbia kept Switzerland Schengen on hold for one year until THEY checked that Switzerland is ready for Schengen - this was a joke!
What does Serbia have to do with it? They are not EU and not Schengen...
Last edited by ca.funke on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

JA13I

Post by JA13I » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:03 am

with more then two flies on it requires a visa.
I think you meant fleas. :wink:

Interesting read! Verbose, but in a good way! Welcome to the world of international immigration mayhem.
Jabi

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:47 am

sorry, admin, could you delete this post please?

was supposed to be "edit" not "quote"

caribbeangeorge
Newly Registered

Post by caribbeangeorge » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:11 pm

ca.funke wrote:
What does Serbia have to do with it? They are not EU and not Schengen...
Mhmmm, nothing?

My apology, it should read Slovenia, not Serbia

The main reason to close operations here is, like you, going back to Europe to be within the system. Being in a country outside Europe with a bi-national partner is now to costly. Read above

My believe was, once Swiss is in Schengen, my wife would get like before, a long term visa, but now valid for all Europe. So all hassle will be gone. As it turns out, it's even worse.

I support you plea, why she still is treated as unwanted person, even after long term marriage and children. Why Schengen is not treating family members different then "tourist" from known countries. What is the issue?

But maybe it is like my experience a couple years ago in Frankfurt Airport.
A day before they received a bomb treat. Ending up for me changing aircraft Montenegro-Switzerland in 5 security checks.

At the last check, further in front of me a Muslim women, in full curtain. Nobody checked her. The next one a retire couple from Nord Germany.
They where strip searched, with a finger in the rectum.

The whole line was shouting and protesting. There the security officer meant, why the Muslim women was not searched: "This would be politically incorrect"

So, maybe, in conclusion, the preferred treatment of EU family members would be politically incorrect too? I mean, why give them preference?

shehar732007
Newly Registered

Immigration Information

Post by shehar732007 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:58 pm

I have political stay in Italy how can I change my asylum in to the Sweden or Belgium?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:00 pm

caribbeangeorge wrote: So, after 3 month we have her new passport - but now MY SWISS embassy want Euro 60.00 from us - Ehm, sorry, it's my wife...
Even after proof her that we never had to pay the French - we are still "negotiating" this one with the embassy (keep in mind that this "free" visa cost me USD 150.00 shipping each way, also $ 300.00 in total)
I am quite interested in the your above statement which I have bolded. Are you saying that as you are Swiss, the French embassy issues your wife's schengen visa free of charge? If this is the case, then I have been misled by the French embassy here in London. My husband is Swiss, yet I was told by the visa officer that I had to pay the full fee as Switzerland is not part of the EU/EEA and no consideration could be given despite the EU-Swiss agreement.
and showing her the tax regulation that Spouses of Swiss or EU citizen don't need to pay this fee
Could you possibly provide a resource link that specifically confirms the visa-free concession for non-EEA family members of Swiss nationals?

caribbeangeorge
Newly Registered

Answer to Plum70

Post by caribbeangeorge » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:34 pm

Sorry for you, you have been mislead. (non-refundable, by the way)
The Schengen visa for spouses are free of charges, doesn't matter what nationality you are. As long ONE partner is citizen of a Schengen EU/EFTA AND Switzerland - his family visas are free.

From the French UK Embassy

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Visa-application-fee.html
- The visa will be free of charge, on presentation of the appropriate evidence to*:
- spouses of European Union citizens;

If you travel WITH your spouse, you are NOT required to have a visa:
http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Family-mem ... opean.html

If you speak German, google for this document:

weisungen-visa-20090518-d.pdf
In case you can't find it, PM me and I send you a copy.

it has tons of information. Keep in mind that Schengen visas are NOT ANYMORE National visas, therefore the regulations, fee structures et cetera are all THE SAME. It also means that denials or suspensions are valid for all SCHENGEN STAATES.

I received the same answer from the French embassy in Zurich, no charge. With Schengen and also before. We are neighbors for sake!

Here the extract:

224.4 Gebührenfreie Visumerteilung

224.41 Art. 13, Abs. 1 GebV-AuG
Gemäss Art. 13, Abs. 1 GebV-AuG wird folgenden Antragstellern das Visum gebührenfrei erteilt:

a) Kinder unter 6 Jahren;

b) Schüler, Studenten, Nachdiplom-Studenten/Postgraduierte und mitreisendes Lehrpersonal, die/das zu Studien- oder Ausbildungszwecken während höchstens 3 Monaten in die Schweiz einreisen wollen;

c) Forscher aus Drittländern, die sich zu Forschungszwecken innerhalb der Europäischen Union bewegen, gemäss der Empfehlung (Nr. 2005/761/EG) des Europäischen Parlaments und des Rates vom 28. September 2005. Die Gebührenbefreiung gilt nur für Aufenthalte von max. 3 Monaten;

d) Folgende Familienmitglieder EU/EFTA10-Angehöriger:
• der Ehegatte und dessen Verwandten in absteigender Linie, die noch nicht 21 Jahre alt sind oder denen Unterhalt gewährt wird;
• die Verwandten in aufsteigender Linie und die Verwandten des Ehegatten in aufsteigender Linie, denen Unterhalt gewährt wird;
• bei Studentinnen/Studenten der Ehegatte und die Kinder, denen Unterhalt gewährt wird.
Die Gesuchsteller müssen die Familienmitgliedschaft belegen können. Als Beleg werden nur Dokumente akzeptiert, die durch einen EU- oder EFTA-Staat ausgestellt worden sind;

e) Ausländischen Personen, die mit einer Schweizerin oder einem Schweizer in einer eingetragenen Partnerschaft leben (Eingetragene Partner eines EU- oder EFTA-Angehörigen, vgl. 224.42 Bst. g);

This list is even longer (3 more pages), please read the original document for more details.

Personally I think this is where Schengen goes wrong. They should, like the US does with the Green Card, issue an ID, stating that you are a spouse of a member of an EU/EEA citizen. And this card would be proof that you are visa exempt. Make it for 2 years so she/he has to apply 4 times until he/she receives the passport of the spouse.

To be honest, my wife is (a proud) Russian, if she could have with this card a restriction free travel, like I have; there would be no reason for her to apply for a Swiss passport.

Now you can call this passport of convenience, but fact is we are discriminated as we are Bi-National. I spend last year close to USD 5000 in paperwork for visas alone, it's this year almost the same (up to today $3500) each time I have to apply for a "free" Swiss visa I pay $ 455 for shipping of passport. I made for "my" embassy a cost calculation, ending up for the US visa I pay USD 65.- per year/person (10 years valid) ($1300 for both, visa fee, flight, hotel, shipping) and for the "free" Swiss visa 227.50 year/person, still hoping that I this time will receive again a 2 years valid Swiss visa for her! Otherwise the visa will cost even more!

Schengen just changed rules (Swiss not yet), so for the French visa NOW, we have to provide biometric data's. As the consulate here can not provide this service (yet) we have to book a flight for the nearest French embassy where she can travel without visa, add couple of days for a Hotel, so the cost went up to additional $1200 per Schengen visa.

From here, there has been a direct flight, but American Airlines changed their flight plan, so now she has to go first to the US for a turn. Before she can make the F-Schengen visa, she has to get her US visa in order.

It really gets bizarre!

I have a company here with 12 employees, I am closing down to move to Schengen as I can't afford anymore to live outside Schengen!

caribbeangeorge
Newly Registered

Post by caribbeangeorge » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 pm

Also read:

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/doc_ce ... nce_en.pdf

EEA nationals as well as
nationals of Switzerland are
treated in this Order as equal
to EU nationals.

You have to dig, but for sure there is the same rules with France.

Here the French Document as above, but much harder to read:

Directive 2004/38/EC
http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/ ... 152_en.htm

One of the problem is that they speak always of "member" and Switzerland is de facto not member. Some French are really angry that we are not sharing the financial burden of the EU.

PM me and I give you the email from the officer in charge for Schengen Relations in Bern. He is working on all the details with Schengen-Switzerland.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:50 pm

caribbeangeorge wrote:Also read:

EEA nationals as well as
nationals of Switzerland are
treated in this Order as equal
to EU nationals.

You have to dig, but for sure there is the same rules with France.

Here the French Document as above, but much harder to read:

Directive 2004/38/EC
http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/ ... 152_en.htm

One of the problem is that they speak always of "member" and Switzerland is de facto not member. Some French are really angry that we are not sharing the financial burden of the EU.

PM me and I give you the email from the officer in charge for Schengen Relations in Bern. He is working on all the details with Schengen-Switzerland.
Thanks so much for this - I will have my husband read the french translated document with me and see if we find any mention of "Swiss nationals are treated the same as EU nationals for the purpose of this Directive..." If so then we may have a case against the French embassy in London and can get a refund (as was promised by the supervisor if we could find proof that I was entitled to the visa-free concession).

I may PM you in the near future for details of the Bern contact...

Once again, thanks!

caribbeangeorge
Newly Registered

Post by caribbeangeorge » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:53 pm

I also sent a note to the Swiss Embassy in France, they should know it best!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:16 pm

CarribeanG, I've PMed you... I would also like to have the details of the Bern contact.

Thanks!

mastermind

Post by mastermind » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:36 pm

ca.funke wrote:Hi all,

it's not a speculation anymore, 4EUFam DOES allow entry into the EU/EEA area, but NOT as-it into Schengen.

The fact that you CAN enter Schengen simply comes from the fact that Schengen and EU/EEA are in most cases overlapping, however legally you enter the EU/EEA, not Schengen.

As a consequence, with 4EUFam (and the British equivalent), you can and may roam Schengen as you please, but you may NOT enter Switzerland.

I had an interesting exchange of emails, apparently they consider (re-)accepting Irish/British "Familymember of EU/EEA citizens" cards again, however at present they are NOT accepted.

Therefore, do NOT enter Switzerland !! Althought there are no border-checks anymore it would be illegal to do so :!:

:evil:
What about the Bilateral agreement between EU and CH which apparently guarantees freedom of movenent/entry/residence for family members regardless of what permits they hold:
ANNEX I

FREE MOVEMENT OF PERSONS

I. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Article 1

Entry and exit

1. The Contracting Parties shall allow nationals of the other Contracting Parties and members of their family within the meaning of Article 3 of this Annex and posted persons within the meaning of Article 17 of this Annex to enter their territory simply upon production of a valid identity card or passport.

No entry visa or equivalent requirement may be demanded save in respect of members of the family and posted workers within the meaning of Article 17 of this Annex who do not have the nationality of a Contracting Party. The Contracting Party concerned shall grant these persons every facility for obtaining any necessary visas.