ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Cap

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:15 pm

From Telegraph:

"Employers wanting to bring in migrant workers would have to hold health insurance for their workers to avoid any "undue burden" on the NHS, under the proposals.
In other moves, as well as providing health insurance employers wanting foreign staff may also have to established apprenticeship schemes to demonstrate they are working to upskill British workers.

Rule changes could also oblige employers to make more effort to scour jobcentres for home-grown recruits, even in roles deemed to be among those facing a "national shortage"

If true, it appears the government may make it very difficult for a UK company to hiring a foreigner. They will have to pay private health insurance, establish some "apprenticeship schemes" and impose a whole score of regulations. Doesn't appear to be a good sign to me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... in-UK.html
Last edited by ukswus on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopal_yendluri
Newly Registered

Post by gopal_yendluri » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Whether 5,400 limit is from july 19th or from starting of this april.

I am planning to apply on 10th august can some body please suggest me whether quota will be filled by that time or not ?(clue please as this is new system and no body knows when it will get completed)

Thanks & Regards
-Gopal

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:18 pm

ukswus wrote:From Telegraph:

"In other moves, as well as providing health insurance employers wanting foreign staff may also have to established apprenticeship schemes to demonstrate they are working to upskill British workers.

Rule changes could also oblige employers to make more effort to scour jobcentres for home-grown recruits, even in roles deemed to be among those facing a "national shortage". "

If true, it appears the government may make it very difficult for a UK company to hiring a foreigner. They will have to pay private health insurance, establish some "apprenticeship schemes" and impose a whole score of regulations. Doesn't appear to be a good sign to me.

Does it mean we won't be eligible for NHS treatment anymore?

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:21 pm

gopal_yendluri wrote:Whether 5,400 limit is from july 19th or from starting of this april.

I am planning to apply on 10th august can some body please suggest me whether quota will be filled by that time or not ?(clue please as this is new system and no body knows when it will get completed)

Thanks & Regards
-Gopal
Well, your guess is as good as mine. But most likely the quota won't be filled by August, especially with new threshold of 80 points. I don't thing many people will be eligible anyway.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:23 pm

renzokuken wrote:
ukswus wrote:From Telegraph:

"In other moves, as well as providing health insurance employers wanting foreign staff may also have to established apprenticeship schemes to demonstrate they are working to upskill British workers.

Rule changes could also oblige employers to make more effort to scour jobcentres for home-grown recruits, even in roles deemed to be among those facing a "national shortage". "

Does it mean we won't be eligible for NHS treatment anymore?
That's still a proposal, as reported by Telegraph. I have no idea if it will apply to new applicants only, or to all. But they are sure to deter any British employers from hiring non-EU workers much faster than any caps.

visitkans

Post by visitkans » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 pm

MJNair wrote:
right now a 40K jobs ends in 20K job
...doesn't seem to be the case...where I work it is difficult to find people with the right skills...even with 'high number' of highly skilled immigrants.

but CAP is good and the people already here will get rates and jobs
Pretty true about the right skills, my company did 8 interviews for Java last week, and none were selected, finding technically good candidates is still tough, i guess thats why there is a gap in the availability and requirements.

amthekkel
Newly Registered

Tier 1 PSW

Post by amthekkel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Does anyone know what affect the cap has on tier 1 post study work category?

There has been a mention on Tier 1 General category and I think entrepreneur and investors categories are excluded from the cap.

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:43 pm

Ok - 1300 decrease in Tier 2 and a freeze at 5400 Tier 1 visas - it is still quite far from "moving migration from hundreds of thousands to tens of thousands" - how exactly they are going to do it without affecting ICT (which is now one of the main ways to bring non-EU workforce into the UK and which is used by really big companies) and without affecting family related immigration (human rights issues)?

Even if they close Tier 1 & 2 visas at all - it is sill not enough to move immigration numbers to "tens of thousands".

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Post by aliq09 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:13 pm

renzokuken wrote:
gopal_yendluri wrote:Whether 5,400 limit is from july 19th or from starting of this april.

Thanks & Regards
-Gopal
Well, your guess is as good as mine. But most likely the quota won't be filled by August, especially with new threshold of 80 points. I don't thing many people will be eligible anyway.

Hi ,

Do not think but just go and apply for it .. there are hundred of people with 100 + points ........... so go and apply
Thanks

Ali

muhandis.ak

Post by muhandis.ak » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:27 pm

As seen in May's statement below, the '5400' cap for Tier 1 applicants has been set flat from the number of T1(G) visas issued in the corresponding period (Jul-Apr) for 2009. So, IMHO, this cap *should* remain unfilled for 3-4 months at least..again, just my 2c

Kala

Firstly, I am introducing an interim limit on the number of out of country main applicants to Tier 1 (General). This route will be held flat from the equivalent periods for 2009 and the limit will therefore be 5,400
renzokuken wrote: Wow, only 5400 Tier-1 (General) visa available for out-of-country application until April 2011 !

msk1978

Post by msk1978 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Written ministerial statement on non-EU economic migration
Secretary of State for the Home Department (Theresa May):

This afternoon I will make an oral statement to the House on the Government’s plans to introduce annual limits on economic migrants from outside of the EU from April 2011; and interim measures being taken to prevent a surge in applications during the interim period.

Date: Mon Jun 28 16:00:00 BST 2010

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... bID=819062

Now she will be giving the Oral Statement rather written!! I think Govt is still very confused how to go forward. They need to balance politics and practicalities and this is not going to be easy. UK is still in bad economics and for coming out of that this is not the timely decision.

beatallica

Post by beatallica » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:33 pm

How does it affect Tier 1 holders already in the country and working :?:

Could the increase of eligible points to 80 be applied retrospectively as well? (when current Tier 1 holders apply for renewal) :?:

Where is everyone getting the 19 July date for new Tier 1 laws? Could someone please provide me with a link :?:

Thank you.

Faye_hen
Newly Registered

Post by Faye_hen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Alright, so it's confirmed. Only 5400 T1 visas will be available from 19th July 2010. This means that if the date of application is before the 19th July 2010, you will not be affected.

For those applying on or after 19th July 2010, you will need a pass mark of 80 points (age, qualifications & prev. earnings) The 20 points for english and maintainance stays the same.

If you think about it, the cap of 5400 T1 visas will probably not be reached that quickly. (Maybe not even at all before April 2011).

Life was made a bit easy by the re-introduction of the Bachelor's Degree. What the Govt. has done now is raise the pass mark by an extra 5 points. (a clever way of re-introducing the Master's degree in my opinion).

The best thing is that for those applicants in the 75 points bracket, you guys should apply BEFORE the 19th July 2010. For those lucky enough to be in the 80 points bracket, i don' think you'll have much to worry about.

P.S. I'm only refering to T1 applicants.

adityak77
Member of Standing

Post by adityak77 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Dependents of existing Tier1 visa holders should not be impacted correct, who still haven't applied for their visa(s)

As they qualify as per their main applicants date of application.

Also on the other side, what is UK BA doing about the illegal immigrants still in country, instead making it difficult for people who are wanting to come to the UK?

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:43 pm

how exactly they are going to do it without affecting ICT (which is now one of the main ways to bring non-EU workforce into the UK and which is used by really big companies) and without affecting family related immigration (human rights issues)?
New ICT T2 visas issued after April 2010 are not eligible for settlement. So my guess is that it does not contribute to the overall 'migrant' scheme anymore.

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:51 pm

MJNair wrote: New ICT T2 visas issued after April 2010 are not eligible for settlement. So my guess is that it does not contribute to the overall 'migrant' scheme anymore.
Really good news to those local workers who are still losing their jobs to ICT competitors. :)

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

It seems that there will be huge changes after April.

Chosing from Pool and biding for sponserships are making me feel laugh.

cowplant
Newly Registered

Post by cowplant » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:02 pm

For those worried about the quota of 5400 for Tier 1, note that the original announcement mentions that the 5400 Tier 1 visas issued last year will be FROZEN at 5400. That's right, only 5400 people apply for Tier 1 each year! So stop panicking; the cap isn't as bad as you think.

(This is directed at all the posters who are asking whether the quota will be filled soon.)

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Sky_High wrote:http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

It seems that there will be huge changes after April.

Chosing from Pool and biding for sponserships are making me feel laugh.
Thanks for the link

It seems that it will be very difficult to get Tier-1 visa post April 2011. I wonder what changes they will propose for the ILR :(

adindas

Better to target Illogal Immigrant rather than T1

Post by adindas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:07 am

The UK Government should be targeting this people rather than Tier 1 applicants.
The reason is simply this will allow a more competitive labour market. As we know that majority of immigrants come from EU countries, so by allowing T1 to compete with them, only the best people for the country will get the job.

What the illegal immigrant is doing:
- Working in low skill job, making lazy British people out of job as the salary is driven down. The industries love to employ them as no taxes, no NI contribution, no Health insurance, etc. Pay below minimum pay
- Some of them, if not majority could work because of fake documents, fake passport. To fake document is criminal, so they are criminal.
- Claim Asylum, the process could take years and years and the cost will be met by the tax payer. You are very lucky, like win a lottery if you could meet a single genuine asylum seeker.
What will happen if this kind of people gets British Citizen? As they do not have skill to compete, it is high likely that they will stop working in the low skilled job and claim benefit. They become burden to society.

Wish Uk government could do more about this.

adityak77 wrote:Dependents of existing Tier1 visa holders should not be impacted correct, who still haven't applied for their visa(s)

Also on the other side, what is UK BA doing about the illegal immigrants still in country, instead making it difficult for people who are wanting to come to the UK?

frrana

What about extension post 2011...

Post by frrana » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:49 am

There is one burning question which is getting me nervous for the last 10 days.

1) what will happen people extending their tier 1 visa post-April 2011 period?

I am applying tier 1 extension in April 2012.

Nervous, nervous, nervous... Give your suggestions..

Tina315
Newly Registered

Post by Tina315 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:10 am

Hello

this is my first time posting. i just came across this board after google search. I am thisclose to panicking because i will get my three months maintenance of funds on the 20th of July and i was going to submit my application the exact same day. this is because i had to restart counting my 3 months for maintenance funds after i went below the 2800 by 300 pounds one day April 19th so i had to start counting again on April 20 when i got paid and went back up. (actually my account had more than 4000 pounds for over a year expect for the one day i had to pay for something that sent me under the total). My age, earnings and experience (i have a PhD) give me 75 points (and my salary using today`s rate is just 30 pounds difference to send me into 25 points so i end up with 20 points) then i have the 20 points for maintenance and language. SHOULD I GIVE UP??

adityak77
Member of Standing

Post by adityak77 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:29 am

Tina315 wrote:Hello

this is my first time posting. i just came across this board after google search. I am thisclose to panicking because i will get my three months maintenance of funds on the 20th of July and i was going to submit my application the exact same day. this is because i had to restart counting my 3 months for maintenance funds after i went below the 2800 by 300 pounds one day April 19th so i had to start counting again on April 20 when i got paid and went back up. (actually my account had more than 4000 pounds for over a year expect for the one day i had to pay for something that sent me under the total). My age, earnings and experience (i have a PhD) give me 75 points (and my salary using today`s rate is just 30 pounds difference to send me into 25 points so i end up with 20 points) then i have the 20 points for maintenance and language. SHOULD I GIVE UP??
Do you have any other bank account with some funds. If yes, add it up with the one you mentioned below and apply before 19th to get you that extra 5 points.

Remember that the exchange rate to be considered is on the last day of the earnings period.

Tina315
Newly Registered

Post by Tina315 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:41 am

adityak77 wrote:
Tina315 wrote:Hello

Do you have any other bank account with some funds. If yes, add it up with the one you mentioned below and apply before 19th to get you that extra 5 points.

Remember that the exchange rate to be considered is on the last day of the earnings period.
thank you so much. i have another question on calculating earnings. is it total earnings for the 12 months covered or for 15 months including the 12 months you will claim for???

Pierrot95

Re: What about extension post 2011...

Post by Pierrot95 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:59 am

frrana wrote:There is one burning question which is getting me nervous for the last 10 days.

1) what will happen people extending their tier 1 visa post-April 2011 period?

I am applying tier 1 extension in April 2012.

Nervous, nervous, nervous... Give your suggestions..
I am confident that you will be fine.
Just two factts:
- Tory and Lib Dem opposed retropestive effects that Labour introduced in the recent Citizenship Act.
- The latest changes in the iommigration rules introduced in April 2010 clearly protected all migrants already in the system.

I don't see the Government doing anything that will affect the expectations of those already here. It is not fair and we can rely on Lib Dem to remind them that they have to be fair.

====