ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Long-term Residency

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:43 pm

I found a bunch of cases against MJLER (presume this is Minister of Justice) from 2007, but none against a KM. http://highcourtsearch.courts.ie
  1. 2007 1024 JR - KHALID & ANOR -V- MJELR
  2. 2007 507 SS - KONATE -V- MJELR & ANOR
  3. 2007 1334 JR - KHAN -V- MJELR
  4. 2007 158 JR - KHAN -V- MJELR
  5. 2007 42 IA - KENNY & ORS -V- MJELR
  6. 2007 8553 P - KRZYSZTOF -V- MJELR & ORS
None of these searches show the decisions either so not much use.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:38 am

Think this is the one: http://www.courts.ie/80256F2B00356A6B/0 ... anguage_en~
K M AND D G - v- THE MINISTER FOR JUSTICE, EQUALITY AND LAW REFORM, IRELAND AND THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
Date of Delivery: 17/07/2007

The non-EU citizen (male, country not mentioned) entered Ireland on foot of a Student Visa valid until Sept 2005. This was then extended until end of June 2006. He did not leave the country, but then married his Irish wife in July 2006. In Sept 2006 he applied to the DoJ for permission to remain in the state on the basis of his marriage to an Irish citizen. This letter was acknowledged by letter in Oct 2006 which stated that it would take 12-14 months to process the application, and that he had no rights to work during this time.

The non-EU citizen and his solicitor sent a number of letters to the DoJ requesting that the case be expedited as it was causing undue hardship as the applicant was not permitted to work. The DoJ wrote in Jan 2007 saying that applications were taking 11 months to be processed. On the 26th of March 2007 the applicant was successful in applying to the High Court for the following:
  1. "an order of mandamus, ordering the DoJ to determine the applicants permission to remain in the State within 21 days",
  2. "an interim injuction ordering the DoJ to determine the applicants permission to remain in the State within 21 days",
  3. " a declaration that the applicants are entitled to have the DoJ determine the applicants permission to remain in the State promptly, but within at least 6 months of date of application"
  4. "damages for breach of constitutional rights and/or breach of EU Convention of Human Rights and Fundamental freedom"
  5. "Costs of the application"
The High Court further stated that
"A person in the position of the first named applicant (non-EU male) who is married to an non Irish citizen of a European Union Member State is entitled under European Law to have an application for permission to remain in the State determined by the first named respondent (DoJ) within six months. The failure by the first named respondent (DoJ) to determine applications in respect of Irish citizens as quickly as those in respect of non Irish citizens of EU member states is irrational, disproportionate and ultra vires. Because the first named applicant is not entitled to work until a positive decision is made on his application the second named applicant is obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of her duties in the home. That state of affairs is in contravention of Article 41 of the Constitution of Ireland and of Articles 8 and 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, so say the applicants. "
I couldn't find a link to the Court Decision from March, but the link above to the case which was decided upon by Judge Edwards in July, seems to accept that a period of 11 months to decide upon the applicants right to reside, finalising by saying
"As I have not found that the first named respondent has been guilty of unreasonable and unconscionable delay to date, and as a decision is imminent and is likely to be given within the bounds of what is reasonable, it is not necessary for me to consider the separation of powers issue or indeed the question as to whether or not mandamus would have been an appropriate remedy in this case. For the reasons outlined I will dismiss the application. I will hear arguments with respect to costs. "

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:03 pm

scrudu wrote:Think this is the one: http://www.courts.ie/80256F2B00356A6B/0 ... anguage_en~
K M AND D G - v- THE MINISTER FOR JUSTICE, EQUALITY AND LAW REFORM, IRELAND AND THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
Date of Delivery: 17/07/2007

The non-EU citizen (male, country not mentioned) entered Ireland on foot of a Student Visa valid until Sept 2005. This was then extended until end of June 2006. He did not leave the country, but then married his Irish wife in July 2006. In Sept 2006 he applied to the DoJ for permission to remain in the state on the basis of his marriage to an Irish citizen. This letter was acknowledged by letter in Oct 2006 which stated that it would take 12-14 months to process the application, and that he had no rights to work during this time.

The non-EU citizen and his solicitor sent a number of letters to the DoJ requesting that the case be expedited as it was causing undue hardship as the applicant was not permitted to work. The DoJ wrote in Jan 2007 saying that applications were taking 11 months to be processed. On the 26th of March 2007 the applicant was successful in applying to the High Court for the following:
  1. "an order of mandamus, ordering the DoJ to determine the applicants permission to remain in the State within 21 days",
  2. "an interim injuction ordering the DoJ to determine the applicants permission to remain in the State within 21 days",
  3. " a declaration that the applicants are entitled to have the DoJ determine the applicants permission to remain in the State promptly, but within at least 6 months of date of application"
  4. "damages for breach of constitutional rights and/or breach of EU Convention of Human Rights and Fundamental freedom"
  5. "Costs of the application"
The High Court further stated that
"A person in the position of the first named applicant (non-EU male) who is married to an non Irish citizen of a European Union Member State is entitled under European Law to have an application for permission to remain in the State determined by the first named respondent (DoJ) within six months. The failure by the first named respondent (DoJ) to determine applications in respect of Irish citizens as quickly as those in respect of non Irish citizens of EU member states is irrational, disproportionate and ultra vires. Because the first named applicant is not entitled to work until a positive decision is made on his application the second named applicant is obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of her duties in the home. That state of affairs is in contravention of Article 41 of the Constitution of Ireland and of Articles 8 and 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, so say the applicants. "
I couldn't find a link to the Court Decision from March, but the link above to the case which was decided upon by Judge Edwards in July, seems to accept that a period of 11 months to decide upon the applicants right to reside, finalising by saying
"As I have not found that the first named respondent has been guilty of unreasonable and unconscionable delay to date, and as a decision is imminent and is likely to be given within the bounds of what is reasonable, it is not necessary for me to consider the separation of powers issue or indeed the question as to whether or not mandamus would have been an appropriate remedy in this case. For the reasons outlined I will dismiss the application. I will hear arguments with respect to costs. "

that is the one! it was june not march that matters, my bad. the point in this case, despite the parties losing, is that the judge found that at least 12 months should be considered to be unreasonable. One would suggest wait till about roughly 1 1/2 years but no more than 2 years despite what the department says.

the only thing is the seperation of powers, can the judge interfere? well if there is an unreasonable delay, there is a high possiblilty particularily if the delay in intentional (one could make very good arguments against the state) judge did not buy the state's argument about lack of resources etc.

one interesting thing was that sicne that case, the state all of a sudden made it public, by acknowledgement letters and website how long it is taking to get a decision.

reality is though, with judicial review, which has two phases, if the applicant passes the first stage by showing that Judge that there is an arguable case, the state may, in about 2-3 months latter try and strike the case out in return for giving that person his decision. (better than waiting for another 1 year)

best consult with lawyer or legal expert before sending threatening letters etc

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:01 pm

ashimashi wrote:interesting...
Walrus, could you please send me the full names in that case you're mentioning? can't find it anywehere.
when immigration / asylum cases are reported, full names and sensitive information is normally excluded. but see below, scrudu got the case. although that case dealt with a leave to remain, one would argue in pre leave phase at least, that in light of km (ministerial discretion), it would apply to citizenship.

For avoidance of doubt 1 1/2 to 2 years would be better to wait. in the meantime, you or lawyer should keep writing to the department (now in tipperary) simply letter,

refer to date you made the application and date it was acknowledged, and simply say somthing along the lines of "upon reviewing my notes i have yet to recieve a decision in realtion to this matter. I would be greatly obliged if you could inform me of the progress made in accessing my application, and kindly acknowledge the safe receipt of this correspondence". make sure you always quote your dept number 68/****/**.

it will at least keep them aware of your case and put pressure. fire one off maybe every 2 1/2 to 3 months.

mendo

Post by mendo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi Brother,

I this post to Marialear you said that you have a contact in LTR Section in Doj:

I got the long term residency after 5 yrs on w/permit.there is a very nice lady who works in that section,if you call her she will tell you all you need to know. If you send me a PM I will give you her details & number.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... c&start=20

Do you mind sending me the contact details of this lady, by PM ?

Regards

Mendo
________
Mexico City Hotel
Last edited by mendo on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anotherimmigrant

Feb 07

Post by anotherimmigrant » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Today I got through visa help line, and I queried about my application to long term residency status. Currently they are processing Feb 07 applications.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:54 pm

Does anyone know if they send the request for a police cert before or when they are processing the application?
I applied in April 07 and haven't heard a word...even when I've notified of change of address.

mendo

Post by mendo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi Sovtek,

From what I could see from my wife's application, it looks that they will ask you for the PCC after they've processed your application.

They could refuse your application and they wont ask you for the PCC.

Once they get that from you then they are waiting for the Irish PCC (usually it takes 3 months).

Regards,

Mendo
________
Title insurance forum
Last edited by mendo on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:02 am

sovtek wrote:Does anyone know if they send the request for a police cert before or when they are processing the application?
I applied in April 07 and haven't heard a word...even when I've notified of change of address.
if you got your 5 years as legal resident in ireland, and working. i dont see why they would refuse your application. get whatever police certs you need to get and send it in before they ask you. they are going to ask you at some point anyway, why not send it in early?

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:17 pm

You can send your PCC in advance and again provide your address. You should get an acknowledgement from them. You can also send them copies of any new stamps and new work permits that you received since you applied.

another_immigrant

Post by another_immigrant » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:27 pm

sovtek wrote:Does anyone know if they send the request for a police cert before or when they are processing the application?
Hi everyone,

Just an update: I have received a letter corresponding to my query for my LTR application. They are currently processing March 2007 applications, as of 20/01/09. It looks like they are 22 months behind...

Regards, AI

Southern_Sky

Re: Irish Long-term Residency

Post by Southern_Sky » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:39 pm

Maliklahore wrote:
marialear wrote:Hi everyone,

Well, I've finally clocked my 5yr legal residence for applying for Irish naturalization. I went to an immigration lawyer in Dublin on Tuesday and she went through everything with me and signed my application. All good to go (thank God!) She also mentioned that the current waiting time is 24months and suggested that I apply for Long-term residency while I waited.

Huh? Long-term residency, didn't know it was an option. So, I phoned the Dept of Justice immigration section yesterday & was told that to apply for long-term residency I need 60 months of 'Stamp 1' stamps in my passport, copies of all my work permits and simply write a letter specifically requesting the long-term residence status. No application form and no fee. The wait is about 14-16 weeks and that's it. You get a certificate or letter in the mail and present to the Garda and that's it!

The Dept Justice worker also said that with long-term residency I would no longer have to get work permits, no longer register annually with Garda and (most important to me) no longer be bound to the one employer, I can change jobs. The lawyer mentioned to me that the application for citizenship and the application for long-term residence are mutually exclusive so they would not interfere with each other.

Has anyone out there applied for long-term residency in Ireland? If so, what is the deal? Is everything I heard true? :) Any info provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Maria
Hi Just Passed my 5 years with my Working Visa . As i have gone through the whole page i thinks its gone be 9 :shock: years to get Irish passport?5 years working 2 years Long Term Res. 2 year naturalization ? can you please correct me in case i am wrong .

Regards
Your application for LTR & Naturalization are mutually exclusive. ie once you've completed your initial 60 months legal residence in the State you can submit both LTR & Naturalization applications simultaneously. Atleast that knocks off 2 years waiting time from 9 to just 7 :)

At the time when I applied for LTR in 2006, processing took just 2months! So its a surprise its now been delayed to 22months. Perhaps not as many people were applying for LTR at that time.

anotherimmigrant

Post by anotherimmigrant » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:29 pm

when i called INIS in December they said they are processing the applications of Feb 2007, now they are doing Mar 2007. According to other poster. So things are not bad..

aswadref

Post by aswadref » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:21 am

hello guys,
strange enough one of my friends applied in july 2008 and was asked for police clearance certificate in sept 2008 and he got the long term recidency in nov 08....could be luck wht you think guys

another_immigrant

Post by another_immigrant » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:29 am

aswadref wrote:hello guys,
strange enough one of my friends applied in july 2008 and was asked for police clearance certificate in sept 2008 and he got the long term recidency in nov 08....could be luck wht you think guys
A query about garda clearance, please help if this is what they need for LTR ?

Corresponding to my clearence request, I've received a letter in 3 weeks time saying that :

" I wish to refer to your request in the above matter and to inform you
that pursuant to same a search of the Garda Criminal records database
has been conducted. The search was conducted solely on the exact name,
date of birth and address details supplied to this office in your
correspondence."

" there are no attachements, this means the Chief Superintendent
Thurles, from the information you provided, has been unable to reveal
any personal data on you."

But at the end of the letter :

"Not to be construed as Proof of No Convictions, Garda vetting, Security
Clearance, Character Check, character reference or any cognate construct
of same"

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm

wondering if there's any point in applying for LTR when both LTR and citizenship processing are taking the same time!

another_immigrant

Post by another_immigrant » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:44 pm

strongbow wrote:wondering if there's any point in applying for LTR when both LTR and citizenship processing are taking the same time!
well I agree with you... but when I applied the LTR, It was being processed in 11 months and the naturalisation was in 18 months at the time... within the last year, this has changed to 22 months to 36 months...
so, the duration has dubled in both prcesses. though, the LTR is still faster.

rustig
Newly Registered

LTR

Post by rustig » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:58 pm

I applied in 2006 for LTR - Received letter today that it is approved and I can stay for another 5 years. :roll:

anotherimmigrant

Post by anotherimmigrant » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:55 pm

I applied in 2006 for LTR - Received letter today that it is approved and I can stay for another 5 years.
Congratulations!!

consider your self lucky, You need not pay 150 euros (GNIB registration) + 100 euros multiple entry visa for every two years . 500 euros saving for you!!!

one more application cleared in front of me.

good luck with your naturalisation application if you have applied. I think it's good idea give heads up to naturalisation section about ur LTR status may be it shows your intention you are going to stay, may be they will process ur app faster or i could be entirely wrong!!

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:29 am

consider your self lucky, You need not pay 150 euros (GNIB registration) + 100 euros multiple entry visa for every two years . 500 euros saving for you!!!
You can get a multiple re-entry visa for the duration of your permission. If you have stamp 4 for 5 years, you can get re-entry visa for 5 years.

anotherimmigrant

any body else on April 2007 que..

Post by anotherimmigrant » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:20 pm

I have called lucky after few tries my call went through for the long term residency section. Currently they are processing application of April 2007. I said I applied on April 2007 they replied me back they dont know it may take months as they are considering case-by-case.

Any body else heard from March 2007, Feb 2007???

nicepecsigot

Post by nicepecsigot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:02 pm

ive applied feb 14 2007.i recieve a letter yesterday feb19,09 from long term residency saying it was approved.great news but then ive had my citizenship approved since dec 2008

nicepecsigot

Post by nicepecsigot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:05 pm

i really suggest you put your application together citizenship and long term coz thats what i did and i got naturalisation first.good luck everyone

anotherimmigrant

Post by anotherimmigrant » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:14 pm

i really suggest you put your application together citizenship and long term coz thats what i did and i got naturalisation first.good luck everyone
That could be it. I have applied my citizenship later month. Now they are asking copy of passport, working visa/work permit and GNIB?

I was just wondering has any body asked same for LTR?

pvik
Newly Registered

help

Post by pvik » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:09 am

hi board,
If somebody kindly help me on my query:-

Me and two other of my fellow employees applied for ltr within a gap of 1 month in 2008 after completing 60 months i applied in the month of october 2008. My two other colleague received a letter from the department stating their apllication has been recieved and it is under process,but i haven't received any letter from them as of now. i arrived in Ireland on the basis of student visa in 2002 but working on a work permit since 2003...is this the case for delay?...i tried to call up the helpline nos. but it is always busy.
Please advice..
thanks
PV