ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 years long residence applications

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:18 pm

kiwigirl25 wrote:
Beige wrote:
kiwigirl25 wrote:It's a horrible feeling isn't it.

I spent this afternoon trying to find "good news stories" elsewhere on the web and the only other place is another immigration board but you have to pay to read the success posts. But from what I could see people who applied around the same time as you and I have been waiting 3-4 months to get their ILR. So I truely believe that the majority of Jan/Feb apps will hear before the end of May.

Also on the same board someone posted boobin's letter from UKBA with the stats (boobin under another name?). An immigration expert (I think they're actually a solicitor) said they weren't worth the paper they are printed on, UKBA was simply sending a response to "get rid" of boobin. In their experience most long term ILR apps hear within ... the 6 month timescale. Strange how no-one came here and told us that.

I'm not going to say have patience, sa, because this waiting truely does suck. I suspicious of those who say they don't mind the way and can stay positive the ENTIRE time :wink:

When did you apply? And did you see that any other Jan/Feb applicant had heard back?
January.

As I said you have to paid to read the entire success story post so I could only see headings and sub-headings. So unless they posted their waiting in the sub-heading I couldn't tell when they applied. I gave up after the first 2 pages.

Oh, right okay. I bet its the UK resident site. Shame its not free. Someone just posted something about the 14 yr rule and having to wait nearly 3 years! What do they really think about??! I don't get it.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 pm

You would be right. I wasn't too sure if I could mention rival boards on here.

The 14 yr app post was 3 months not 3 years!! Under ILR success stories right?

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:27 pm

kiwigirl25 wrote:You would be right. I wasn't too sure if I could mention rival boards on here.

Oh? I thought I saw the application was made in sep 2006 and he got a reply in jun 2009. And I'm talking on this site, not other rival ones

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Hiya

I just wanted to post this timeline for those that are waiting for their application under ILR 14 year rule. I knew whilst waiting I kept wanting to find this information and thus having got my ILR, I feel it would be helpful for all:

Landed in 1992 as a student for a degree course. Granted 3 year visa

Completed the degree and got another year extension for the Masters.

Started a PHD and got a 3 year extension to that, meaning I had legal stay until 2000. From then I overstayed until Sep 2006, when I applied for ILR.

I waited nearly 3 years from Sep 2006 to June 2009 to get the ILR and finally got it. Exact Timeline and Steps described below:

20 Sept 2006 - Went to solicitor and submitted application

29 Sept 2006 - Letter arrives from HO through Solicitor to indicate application has successfully been recieved

Since then many countless calls to solicitor and HO and same reply saying case under consideration.

Out of the blue and after a lot of patience on the 18th June 2009, I got a letter from solicitor saying it had all been approved.

On the 19th of June 2009, I went to collect that passport with the ILR stamp, what a relief and thanks to GOD.

Hope that this helps everyone in the same predicament.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 pm

Beige wrote:
kiwigirl25 wrote:You would be right. I wasn't too sure if I could mention rival boards on here.

Oh? I thought I saw the application was made in sep 2006 and he got a reply in jun 2009. And I'm talking on this site, not other rival ones
Oh sorry. I thought you meant you saw it on UK Resident :oops:

With regards to the long wait I posted a report earlier this week which found UKBA acting unlawful in enforcing a 2-3 year wait on 14 yr ILR paid applicants. 14 yr ILR should only have to wait 3-6 months as they can not support themselves during the waiting time. UKBA replied in return saying that they had a 33,000 backlog due to staff being moved to deal with asylum cases. However the backlog will be cleared before July 2010. Long waits, especially for 14 yr PAID applicants, will be a thing of the past... for now.

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 pm

I really hope they all get processed before or by july.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 pm

So do I.

I think we should also stop focusing on the negative and actively seek the positive. Expecting the worse does prepare you for exactly that but it also brings you down.

Anyway it is going to be a beautiful sunny British spring weekend ... who needs to go abroad 8) UKBA are welcome to hold my passport over the weekend.

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:12 pm

You're definitely spot on Kiwigal. Just reading some of the posts on the other site. People who applied in december are just starting to hear back. So hopefully they'll be on to january applications soon, if they aren't already.

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:13 pm

kiwigirl25 wrote:.

Anyway it is going to be a beautiful sunny British spring weekend ... who needs to go abroad 8) UKBA are welcome to hold my passport over the weekend.
LOL! Totally agree :D

Brown212

Post by Brown212 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Beige wrote:

A friend of mine applied for ILR 10yrs Long residence in Dec. 2009 and the home office return all his supporting document but retain his passport with a covering letter that a decision has been made on his application and they will get back to him in due course, they also advice him not to call unless its very important, my friend is very worried if this is a good or bad news, he still have a valid stay till feb. 2011. I'll be glad if anyone has a clue of this type of situation.

NoWayOut

Post by NoWayOut » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:41 pm

I spent this afternoon trying to find "good news stories" elsewhere on the web and the only other place is another immigration board but you have to pay to read the success posts. But from what I could see people who applied around the same time as you and I have been waiting 3-4 months to get their ILR. So I truely believe that the majority of Jan/Feb apps will hear before the end of May.
My friend had paid access to that site and allows me to log on to view the paid areas. There was someone who applied under the 14 year rule in January 2010 and recieved their ILR in March so they only had a 3 month wait.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:02 pm

NoWayOut wrote:

My friend had paid access to that site and allows me to log on to view the paid areas. There was someone who applied under the 14 year rule in January 2010 and recieved their ILR in March so they only had a 3 month wait.
Thanks NoWayOut :D

I assume no news for you yet :(

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Brown212 wrote:
Beige wrote:

A friend of mine applied for ILR 10yrs Long residence in Dec. 2009 and the home office return all his supporting document but retain his passport with a covering letter that a decision has been made on his application and they will get back to him in due course, they also advice him not to call unless its very important, my friend is very worried if this is a good or bad news, he still have a valid stay till feb. 2011. I'll be glad if anyone has a clue of this type of situation.
A couple of people here had simliar situations. Received their documentation back with no passport. Good news is they received their passports along with an ILR a few weeks later. So if I was your friend I wouldn't be too worried.

NoWayOut

Post by NoWayOut » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:27 pm

kiwigirl25 wrote:

No, still nothing.

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:45 pm

looks like we're getting more evidence that dec applications are being processed

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:50 pm

NoWayOut wrote:
kiwigirl25 wrote:

No, still nothing.
Hope you hear back soon :D

sa

Post by sa » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:54 pm

kiwigirl i agree we need to keep patience and it seems there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I think positive responses from december applicants are encouraging.from now on its just a matter of luck i guess.
However cant understand the logic as to why nowayout has such a wait.

powermatic

Post by powermatic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:42 am

HELLO EVERYONE

well, it is great to hear that November, December and even January applicants are now hearing back.

Hopefully, as we have discussed here before, there aren't many applicants from period November - February, and caseworkers will get sooner to the March applicants
:D

NoWayOut - did you try contacting them recently? I know they give most of the time a standard response... but possibly you can call them to say that you just want to make sure that your documents are in their hands still and you are, for example, worried that if they were posted some time ago, then they might have been lost in the post. Sometimes if you explain politely your worries, and if you will get a nice person on the phone, they may show some sympathy and provide more information... In addition, you are way passed the published processing times, so have all the rights to make enquries.

myself - I dont mind the wait but the biggest fear for me is the fact that my documents are not in my hands. I always was scared of loosing them and used premium service, whenever I could in the past. It is unfortunate that they have abolished the premium service for ILR 10 years , as the extra money paid were really worth it - same day decision, answering all questions at point of contact, you bring and take documents yourself ... :(

By the way, does anyone know how they return the documents? do they do it by recorded, signed service?

Brown212

Post by Brown212 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 am

kiwigirl25 wrote:
Brown212 wrote:
Beige wrote:

A couple of people here had simliar situations. Received their documentation back with no passport. Good news is they received their passports along with an ILR a few weeks later. So if I was your friend I wouldn't be too worried.
Thanks Kiwigirl25 for your response, will let him know about this and i think this will lift up his spirit a little bit, the home office has really kept him in suspense.

NoWayOut

Post by NoWayOut » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:29 pm

powermatic wrote: NoWayOut - did you try contacting them recently? I know they give most of the time a standard response... but possibly you can call them to say that you just want to make sure that your documents are in their hands still and you are, for example, worried that if they were posted some time ago, then they might have been lost in the post. Sometimes if you explain politely your worries, and if you will get a nice person on the phone, they may show some sympathy and provide more information... In addition, you are way passed the published processing times, so have all the rights to make enquries.
There's is absolutely 100% no point in contacting them as it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. I'd rather not waste anymore of my phone bill contacting them. Obviously my documents didn't get lost in the post because I recieved an aknowledgement. Phoning them, e-mailng them, writing to them, asking for compassionate grounds for my sick dad, getting MP involved, has made no difference.

sa

Post by sa » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 pm

no way out you have an absolute right to make a complaint.Just like our predecessors tried,maybe you should give a go writing to Immigration minister as well.I know they are busy with elections but at least worth the try.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 pm

I agree with sa you have, especially after this long wait, every right to complain.

Here the web address for the Parliamentry Ombudsman: http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/ use them that what they are there for. Though with any ombudsman you may have to prove that you have attempted to complain to UKBA prior to raising a complaint to the ombudsman.

COMPLAIN NOW!!! :evil:

bird
Newly Registered

Post by bird » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:19 pm

NoWayOut

Please keep writing to UKBA. The Ombudsman is not an option bcos Oluwa already tried that and she was told that only MPs can report a matter involving UKBA to them. You can read Oluwa's post on pages 22 and 23 on this link

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... &start=440

I understand u might get very little info over the phone and especially if u are paying to call that 0870 number (I have free calls to that number and i still only called once). But you have to do something, I know you must be drained. What I suggest is this.. get evidence that your Dad is sick and sent that with a letter to the UKBA. the evidence should be in the form of a letter from a doctor or hospital. I was given this Fax No.: 01512131288 by the call center worker at UKBA when i called for an update. She told me to send any urgent request for travel to that fax with evidence. I think it's the Liverpool branch. State your REF, Name and Urgency

Even if you father is feeling better now so you can't get such evidence still send them a letter through the post just asking what is going on.

Really hope you get good news soon

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:16 pm

I've just read the complaint procedure on the ombudsman site. Bird is right you have to direct your complaint through a MP. However during the dissolution of Parliament MPs cannot issue any complaints regarding a Government department. The advice is to contact your MP after the general election with any complaints.

So basically the only method of complaint is direct to UKBA.

NoWayOut

Post by NoWayOut » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:35 pm

I appreciate all your kind words but I feel like you're all being slightly unrealistic. You're making it seem like I have control over when my ILR gets processed and if I simply call enough times or write enough letters it will suddenly arrive....but if there's anything this thread or countless messages on other boards tell you, thats not the case. I know of someone of a couple of friends who had been in a similar situation and nothing they did made a difference. And yes there are the odd one or two cases who seem to get a result after complaning but they are in the minority....and what's to say that they recieving ILR had anything to do with them complaining, it could have just been processed independent of that?

Its not down to me and nothing I do will determine when it gets processed, that's purely down to UKBA. Like I said before calling and writing makes no difference. The only other option I have is to try contacting my MP again but I can't do that for at least another two weeks when the election is over and therefore all I can do is wait.

I'm not giving up :roll: ....giving up would be withdrawing my application and I'm not doing that. All i'm doing is waiting patiently and being realistic about my situation and finding other things to busy my time and preoccupy my mind other than writing countless letters and raising my phone bill making calls that will get me nowhere.