ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fakira
- thin ice -

Post by fakira » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:09 am

i suggest you apply in the uk
because things go painfully slow in india
in 2 weeks your process may not take off and you cant argue
there is also some resentment against british colonial rule(i dont understand after 60 years of independance)
i let out a lot of steam on this forum.cooled down after citizenship

ukwannabe
Newly Registered

Post by ukwannabe » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:03 am

could someone please advise what documents need to be sent to hci in london to get the oci endorsement/card by post. I have only postal order receipts, receipt for sending the application form and the passport (UK and cancelled Indian). Should I send them all ? Also how long it takes to get the document by post once it is received by HCI in london.

thanks in advance.

ukwannabe
Newly Registered

oci card delay

Post by ukwannabe » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:46 am

Hello Forum

I have applied for OCI in April and now the status is showing on oci web site as -
Documents Printed On 19-JUN-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 23-JUN-2008
Documents Received at LONDON NOT YET

This website also advises that we can contact HCI London after 10 days from the date of despatch from delhi. Is this correct ? Can i send my passport for OCI stamp although status is shown Not yet received in London

Best

ukwannabe
Newly Registered

Post by ukwannabe » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:14 am

just to update that the oci certificates were recvd at London on 7th July and i am in the process of sending a postal application for the certificate.

Best Wishes to all

maheshs.2006
Newly Registered

OCI for children

Post by maheshs.2006 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Can anyone share your thoughts on my query. If I am holding a British Passport and OCI will I be able to get OCI for my children who are born after I got my British citizenship & OCI. My wife is still holding her Indian citizenship & passport.

merc08
Newly Registered

Travel to India - need to carry cert. of registration?

Post by merc08 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:58 am

Hi people,

I recently got my british passport back with the OCI stamp in it, along with the blue coloured 'Certificate of Registration' booklet. Can somebody please let me know if I need to carry the certificate of registration booklet with me to India? Will Indian immigration need to see this certificate in order for me to enter, or is the british passport enough?
(also, does anybody recommend that I carry the cancelled indian passport too? I doubt if I will need to, but better safe than sorry I guess!!)

Thanks in advance!!!

ukwannabe
Newly Registered

Post by ukwannabe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Hello Friends !

I finally got my OCI certificate by post today. what a long journey this is - UK passport and OCI

Here is the time line for OCI in my case -
Documents Printed On 19-JUN-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 23-JUN-2008
Documents Received at 07/07/08
Self addressed envelop sent on 08/07/08
Passports with OCI recvd back on 22/07/08

all the best

vijikrish
Newly Registered

Finally got my passports back

Post by vijikrish » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:44 pm

Friends,

I got my British passport back with the OCI stamp on it. It had taken 3 months to process.
I sent the application on the 16th of April, the documents were sent back on the 22nd of July!

I also got the blue booklet along with the stamp am not sure if I need to carry it along. The OCI stamp is already in the passport and the booklet does not provide any further information. Do we still need to carry it around?

Thanks.

masif1
Newly Registered

Still waiting!

Post by masif1 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi All,

I am British of Indian origin, I have applied for the OCI card for myself and my two children.

The time line for our application:

Date Of Acknowledgment 11-AUG-2008
Registration Status Granted On 10-SEP-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 20-OCT-2008
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 21-OCT-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at LONDON NOT YET

My children fly out with my wife on 30-OCT-2008.

Does anyone have any idea if we will expect delivery before that time?

Otherwise I'll have to spend another £80 for their visa.

Thanks

maheshs.2006
Newly Registered

Cancelling Indian passport

Post by maheshs.2006 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:40 pm

Hi All,

Is it essential to cancel Indian passport before applying for OCI OR can I send the passport for cancellation along with the OCI application.

Thanks

sheetaxml
Newly Registered

Please help

Post by sheetaxml » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Dear all, have you got any idea of how long it is take currently to get the OCI

Is this any qucik if I apply over counter. Because I have seen instances where it took HCI London more than a month to acknowledge before starting the actual processing if you apply by post.

Have any one got recent experiences on time scales. Also, To secure a token over the counter when is the good time to reach HCI london.

Any info is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:30 pm

It took precisely 3 weeks for our application (including family).

Application submitted on 11-feb in person at HCI London, and the documents recived back by HCI on 27-feb.

Pretty impressive !!!!!

sams

Post by sams » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:17 am

dnicky wrote:It took precisely 3 weeks for our application (including family).

Application submitted on 11-feb in person at HCI London, and the documents recived back by HCI on 27-feb.

Pretty impressive !!!!!
Do you still have to stand in queue early morming outside HCI London (only 15 tokens provided per day)?

sams

OCI at CGI Birmingham

Post by sams » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:21 am

Has anyone applied for OCI at CGI Birmingham. If yes, can you please share your experience.

Do they have the same policy of only providing 15 tokens a day?

eyesonly
Newly Registered

Post by eyesonly » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:55 pm

sams wrote:

Pretty impressive !!!!!
Do you still have to stand in queue early morming outside HCI London (only 15 tokens provided per day)?

there is no limit on the number of tokens for OCI at london anymore. cant say about birmingham

sams

Post by sams » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:59 pm

eyesonly wrote:
sams wrote:

Pretty impressive !!!!!

there is no limit on the number of tokens for OCI at london anymore. cant say about birmingham

HCI London Website still says regarding 15 tokens a day:-

http://hcilondon.in/oci.php

Applications for OCI service can be made at the OCI Services counter at the High Commission between 1000 hrs to 1230 hrs on all working days. Please reach the High Commission security counter early to obtain the entry token for the OCI services counter as these are issued in limited numbers (15 tokens per day). Tokens will be issued to applicants on first come first served basis.[/quote]

eyesonly
Newly Registered

Post by eyesonly » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:34 am

sams wrote:
eyesonly wrote:
sams wrote:

Pretty impressive !!!!!

HCI London Website still says regarding 15 tokens a day:-

http://hcilondon.in/oci.php

Applications for OCI service can be made at the OCI Services counter at the High Commission between 1000 hrs to 1230 hrs on all working days. Please reach the High Commission security counter early to obtain the entry token for the OCI services counter as these are issued in limited numbers (15 tokens per day). Tokens will be issued to applicants on first come first served basis.
[/quote]

most likely they havnt updated their website yet. me and 2 others have recently applied & received OCI in the last month. I myself reached at 11.15 and I had 30+ applicants ahead of me in the queue before my number came - it took about 2 hrs before my number came.

sams

Post by sams » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:17 am

most likely they havnt updated their website yet. me and 2 others have recently applied & received OCI in the last month. I myself reached at 11.15 and I had 30+ applicants ahead of me in the queue before my number came - it took about 2 hrs before my number came.
Thanks for the information as I was bit worried about the bad experience my friend had when he applied OCI 1 year ago.

Can you please let me know the supporting documents required with the application?
Also I am little confused about the guidelines regarding photographs (35*35 and coloured background), as in the photo booths it is not the same. where did you get your photographs?

Thanks.

eyesonly
Newly Registered

Post by eyesonly » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:38 pm

sams wrote:
Thanks for the information as I was bit worried about the bad experience my friend had when he applied OCI 1 year ago.

Can you please let me know the supporting documents required with the application?
Also I am little confused about the guidelines regarding photographs (35*35 and coloured background), as in the photo booths it is not the same. where did you get your photographs?

Thanks.
photos: snappysnaps can do 35*35, although they charge £9.99. u will need 4 photos.

supporting documents are as per the website:
indian passport (for cancellation)
self attested photocopies of indian passport, naturalisation cert, british passport, printouts of online forms, cash £165. their website has the complete list, so refer that for documents.

it took approx. 3 weeks to get oci from date of app.

caveat - all the above info is for london consulate. I cant say what birmingham consulate may require.

Chili2
Newly Registered

Advise on my case

Post by Chili2 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Dear forum members,

I would like to apply for OCI and my case is as follows:

Based on Grand father who has passed away but I have his cancelled Indian Passport. When grandfather passed away, he was a Kenya citizen.

My grandmother was born in Uganda & when she passed away, she held a British Passport.

My Parents applied for PIO cards - that time OCI was not available at all.

On the website I understand I can apply on my grandparents (my case only Grandfather's) Indian citizenship.

Kindly advise if I am correct to be eligible for OCI card?

Thank you

mr_pankaj

Can Doctors and Dentists with OCI Card practice in India?

Post by mr_pankaj » Fri May 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Dear Friends,

Does anybody know if Doctors and Dentists having Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card and graduated from India allowed to practice there i.e. if one decides to relocate back to India ?

thank you

Regards

mhd143
Newly Registered

Birmingham Application - No reply

Post by mhd143 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Hello

This is a great forum and hopefully will assist me in getting my application b4 i go to India in October.

I stood in the queue at HO in Birmingham only to be told to come back the next day as i was way behind in the queue to be seen. Therefore seen as though i never wanted to take another day off work i sent application via Special Delivery on 4th April 2009.(Signed for on Monday 6th April)

Eight weeks have now passed and the application has not even been acknowledged. I really want to try and contact them but it says i must wait 12 weeks, arghhhh!!!

I would really appreciate some advice on this as its an application for a family of four meaning i've paid around £660 in postal orders.

If anyone has recently applied for OCI from Birmingham and would like to share their timeline it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
MHD143

Friend

OCI IN AN EXPIRED MINOR PASSPORT

Post by Friend » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:58 am

Hi,

My child's british passport expired and she has got a new passport now. The OCI information is confusing about the need for a getting the OCI transferred to the new passport. Has anyone travelled to India with the OCI sticker on the expired passport only (without transferring to new passport)

Thanks

Titanic999

Re: OCI for children

Post by Titanic999 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:47 pm

maheshs.2006 wrote:Can anyone share your thoughts on my query. If I am holding a British Passport and OCI will I be able to get OCI for my children who are born after I got my British citizenship & OCI. My wife is still holding her Indian citizenship & passport.
Can anyone pls. reply to this query as it will be useful for other members who are on the same lines.
Thanks in advance..

T

Friend

Re: OCI for children

Post by Friend » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Titanic999 wrote:
maheshs.2006 wrote:Can anyone share your thoughts on my query. If I am holding a British Passport and OCI will I be able to get OCI for my children who are born after I got my British citizenship & OCI. My wife is still holding her Indian citizenship & passport.
Can anyone pls. reply to this query as it will be useful for other members who are on the same lines.
Thanks in advance..

T
I think so.

See this

Persons of Indian Origin, who migrated from India after 26 January, 1950, and

who were citizens of India on or at anytime after 26.01.1950 or

who were eligible to become Indian citizens on 26th January, 1950 or

their children and grand children,

whose present nationality is such that the country of nationality allows dual citizenship in some form or the other under the local laws, will be eligible to be registered as OCI. Minor children of such persons are also eligible for registration as OCI. (Application cannot be submitted on the basis of spouse’s qualification.) However, minor children, whose both parents are Indian citizens, are not eligible for OCI.