ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sunburn
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by sunburn » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:40 pm

I don't really see that as the case. Some applicants get their biometrics appointments soon after their application - either online or by paper, and then wait 2-3 months to approval.

Others - including myself - got their biometrics appointments 2 months later. However, I got my approval 2 weeks after the biometrics. In effect it's a wash, 3 months and a week from application date to approval date, about on par with typical UKM processing times in the last 3-4 years (I made a simple spreadsheet I tracked this on).

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:56 pm

When I applied I expected to wait 2 months to hear anything back, that seemed like the most recent wait time from application to Bio-metrics. I'll start to worry if I don't hear anything before March 1st

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:00 pm

sunburn wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:40 pm
I don't really see that as the case. Some applicants get their biometrics appointments soon after their application - either online or by paper, and then wait 2-3 months to approval.

Others - including myself - got their biometrics appointments 2 months later. However, I got my approval 2 weeks after the biometrics. In effect it's a wash, 3 months and a week from application date to approval date, about on par with typical UKM processing times in the last 3-4 years (I made a simple spreadsheet I tracked this on).
I was just going off the most recent few posts with biometric appointments.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 pm

Yeah but there's no consistent long term trend indicating total processing time changing. Before online applications, paper applicants used to typically get a biometrics notice right away, and then wait. Since last summer's introduction of online applications, the record is mixed - paper applicants still typically, but not all, tend to get biometrics requests sooner. But application to approval time is still steady at 3-4 months, with a handful taking longer.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 pm

sunburn wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 pm
Yeah but there's no consistent long term trend indicating total processing time changing. Before online applications, paper applicants used to typically get a biometrics notice right away, and then wait. Since last summer's introduction of online applications, the record is mixed - paper applicants still typically, but not all, tend to get biometrics requests sooner. But application to approval time is still steady at 3-4 months, with a handful taking longer.
I agree. I applied at the end of May, and didn’t hear about biometrics until August (completed in September). Didn’t get a decision until the first of December (decision dated November 19th). It seems like it’s pretty random. The only way I can rationalize it, each situation depends on the caseworker and your circumstances. My claim to citizenship is dependant on the interpretation of the Romein case, so I assumed it would take a bit longer, whereas a more straightforward case (parent born in the U.K. and has citizenship) wouldn’t require a lot of research to decide. Also, I think with Brexit so close and the terms so ambiguous, caseworkers are probably inundated with EU citizens trying to solidify their circumstances.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:55 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 pm
I agree. I applied at the end of May, and didn’t hear about biometrics until August (completed in September). Didn’t get a decision until the first of December (decision dated November 19th). It seems like it’s pretty random. The only way I can rationalize it, each situation depends on the caseworker and your circumstances. My claim to citizenship is dependant on the interpretation of the Romein case, so I assumed it would take a bit longer, whereas a more straightforward case (parent born in the U.K. and has citizenship) wouldn’t require a lot of research to decide. Also, I think with Brexit so close and the terms so ambiguous, caseworkers are probably inundated with EU citizens trying to solidify their circumstances.
Completely different departments, teams and buildings that deal with EU vs UKM, UKF, AN, MN1 applications.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:43 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:55 pm
luthersnowak wrote:
Completely different departments, teams and buildings that deal with EU vs UKM, UKF, AN, MN1 applications.
I apologize.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
The only way I can rationalize it, each situation depends on the caseworker and your circumstances. My claim to citizenship is dependant on the interpretation of the Romein case, so I assumed it would take a bit longer, whereas a more straightforward case (parent born in the U.K. and has citizenship) wouldn’t require a lot of research to decide.
I'd agree on the case worker aspect. It does appear that they all have individual quirks that impact the progress of your application. Mine fits in the straightforward bucket and took just over 3 months, might have been a week or so less if it weren't for the fact that I got the biometrics request just prior to Thanksgiving and they couldn't schedule a date for me until early Dec.

Now waiting for the SF consulate to contact me; 50 days have elapsed since approval, and they said wait 90 days before emailing to ask.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:48 pm

sunburn wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 pm
luthersnowak wrote:
The only way I can rationalize it, each situation depends on the caseworker and your circumstances. My claim to citizenship is dependant on the interpretation of the Romein case, so I assumed it would take a bit longer, whereas a more straightforward case (parent born in the U.K. and has citizenship) wouldn’t require a lot of research to decide.
I'd agree on the case worker aspect. It does appear that they all have individual quirks that impact the progress of your application. Mine fits in the straightforward bucket and took just over 3 months, might have been a week or so less if it weren't for the fact that I got the biometrics request just prior to Thanksgiving and they couldn't schedule a date for me until early Dec.

Now waiting for the SF consulate to contact me; 50 days have elapsed since approval, and they said wait 90 days before emailing to ask.
It took about 40 days for me to receive my invite. I received my approval letter December 1st (approval date Nov. 19th). I received an invite email January 7th from SF consulate. Due to a trip I already had planned, I asked them if I could attend the ceremony in Boston. They were more than happy to oblige. They scheduled me for February 7th (TODAY!!!!!). So if all goes well, I’ll be a citizen by 2:30 today. You should hear from them very soon.

jellybean19
United Kingdom

Post by jellybean19 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:53 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:48 pm
sunburn wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 pm
luthersnowak wrote:

It took about 40 days for me to receive my invite. I received my approval letter December 1st (approval date Nov. 19th). I received an invite email January 7th from SF consulate. Due to a trip I already had planned, I asked them if I could attend the ceremony in Boston. They were more than happy to oblige. They scheduled me for February 7th (TODAY!!!!!). So if all goes well, I’ll be a citizen by 2:30 today. You should hear from them very soon.
Aww, have a fab ceremony, good luck and enjoy :) x

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:30 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:48 pm
Congratulations! As fellow applicants during similar times, I'm glad to see you make the final step. Do keep us updated on the next steps with your passport application!

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Update! Completed the ceremony today. So thankful to have finally gotten to this point. Seriously, thank you everyone for the help. I don’t know that I would have gotten this far without it.

Eligibility criteria: UKM (Via Romein decision)
Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: (Postal) USPS/ParcelForce
Date of application: 09/06/2018
Payment method: Credit card
Date of receipt by UKBA: 25/06/2018
Date money gone off account: 13/07/2018
Date of acknowledgement: 28/06/2018 (email)
Date of biometric appt. invitation: 22/08/2018 (email)
Date biometrics appt confirmation: 24/08/2018 (email)
Biometrics done: 06/09/2018 At USCIS Anchorage, AK.
Date of approval: 16/11/2018 - Approval and Documents in 1 envelope, sent Royal Mail Signature Required.
Date of ceremony: 07/02/2019!!!!
Date applied for passports:
Date passports received:

rhino57
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rhino57 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:12 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:08 pm
Update! Completed the ceremony today. So thankful to have finally gotten to this point. Seriously, thank you everyone for the help. I don’t know that I would have gotten this far without it.

Date of approval: 16/11/2018 - Approval and Documents in 1 envelope, sent Royal Mail Signature Required.
Date passports received:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Have watched your progress on the forum - so glad you are on the citizenship side now! Cheers!!

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 am

rhino57 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:12 pm
luthersnowak wrote:

Date passports received:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Have watched your progress on the forum - so glad you are on the citizenship side now! Cheers!!
@Rhino57 What did you do about the Passport pictures? I've heard Walgreens and CVS, but we don't have either of those where I live.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:18 am

Costco may be able to do it . In my case I had some a set taken at a local shop when I was in UK a while ago .

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:00 pm

sunburn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:18 am
Costco may be able to do it . In my case I had some a set taken at a local shop when I was in UK a while ago .
Thank you! I hadn't even thought of Costco. Unfortunately, our Costco doesn't do photo stuff. I did find a photographer here that said he can do UK passport photos. He will do 6 for $20. He doesn't have the greatest reputation, but I don't really have a choice at this point. For some reason I didn't even contemplate how I would get the photos done, and went ahead and started the online application. I don't know why I did that, I already knew getting the pictures done here was going to be an issue.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Well, you could do what I did for the Form UKM application - cut the US passport sized pics to UK size with scissors :D My application was approved, so I guess they didn't find them disagreeable. In any case, presented with the chance to get this done to specification in UK recently, I just went ahead and got them, so that once I get my ceremony done - whenever that is - I can use those pics.

I have NO idea how my referee is going to write 'this is a true likeness of mr.sunburn' into the back of that little photograph, though...

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:20 pm

sunburn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm
Well, you could do what I did for the Form UKM application - cut the US passport sized pics to UK size with scissors :D My application was approved, so I guess they didn't find them disagreeable. In any case, presented with the chance to get this done to specification in UK recently, I just went ahead and got them, so that once I get my ceremony done - whenever that is - I can use those pics.

I have NO idea how my referee is going to write 'this is a true likeness of mr.sunburn' into the back of that little photograph, though...
I just sent the regular US size ones with my UKM Application. I didn't even try to cut them down :oops:

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:00 pm
sunburn wrote:
Thank you! I hadn't even thought of Costco. Unfortunately, our Costco doesn't do photo stuff. I did find a photographer here that said he can do UK passport photos. He will do 6 for $20. He doesn't have the greatest reputation, but I don't really have a choice at this point. For some reason I didn't even contemplate how I would get the photos done, and went ahead and started the online application. I don't know why I did that, I already knew getting the pictures done here was going to be an issue.
Other people have said they sent the US size ones in for a passport and it came back fine. I could ask my Mum what she does...

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 am

The process is underway! Sent off my application and my sister’s, together since we only have the one copy of our mother’s documents. Reading through other timelines, the process doesn’t seem to be very consistent. Neither of us got an acknowledgment of receipt of application. We both just got biometric appointment request email and fee debited same day. Here’s my timeline so far....

Eligibility criteria: UKM ( By descent )
Nationality: American
Applying from: US
Method of application: Paperform
Date sent to UKVI - 1/24 USPS Priority Intl
According to parcel tracking, UKVI in Liverpool received my Form & Docs - Feb 1
Payment method: Debit Card
Date of fee debit: Feb 11
Email with case number :
Date of acknowledgement by letter :
Date of email requesting biometrics: Feb 11
Biometrics done:
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:

rhino57
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rhino57 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:44 am

luthersnowak wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 am
rhino57 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:12 pm
luthersnowak wrote:

Date passports received:
@Rhino57 What did you do about the Passport pictures? I've heard Walgreens and CVS, but we don't have either of those where I live.
I'm afraid I am not much help here. I was actually in London on a trip with my son right before my ceremony in San Francisco and got my passport pictures in London. I figured it was safer than getting them in the US as I had read about problems with the sizing and people getting rejected because the pics were wrong. I would probably go the old fashioned route and google passport pics in your area and then call and definitely check if they can do photos that will meet UK standards. Sorry I'm not more help.

rhino57
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rhino57 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 am

sunburn wrote:
So funny, I did the same thing! Have you heard about your ceremony yet?

rhino57
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rhino57 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 am

sunburn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm

I had the same fear and actually cut out a piece of paper and wrote out the phrase so I knew how it would fit and gave it to my referee to use as a template. I think that really helped. I didn't think the phrase would fit into the seemingly 1 inch square, but it fit just fine, signature included. Go figure.

rhino57
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rhino57 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:53 am

bletchlypark wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 pm
luthersnowak wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:00 pm
sunburn wrote:
Other people have said they sent the US size ones in for a passport and it came back fine. I could ask my Mum what she does...
I have read stories of applications being denied because US passport photos did not meet UK requirements - I would just hate to have gone through all of the process only to be rejected on a technicality and have to start the passport application over again. They really are different sizes and have different head dimensions.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 pm

Thank you everyone. I was able to get some pictures from a local photographer that meet the requirements. Now I have another question. The pictures he gave me are several pictures one one sheet. There is space between each picture. Should I cut them into individual pictures, or leave them all on the same sheet?