ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

keh723
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by keh723 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Update: Received two acknowledgement emails today, Feb 12, from UKVI and UKBA.
keh723 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 am
The process is underway! Sent off my application and my sister’s, together since we only have the one copy of our mother’s documents. Reading through other timelines, the process doesn’t seem to be very consistent. Neither of us got an acknowledgment of receipt of application. We both just got biometric appointment request email and fee debited same day. Here’s my timeline so far....

Eligibility criteria: UKM ( By descent )
Nationality: American
Applying from: US
Method of application: Paperform
Date sent to UKVI - 1/24 USPS Priority Intl
According to parcel tracking, UKVI in Liverpool received my Form & Docs - Feb 1
Payment method: Debit Card
Date of fee debit: Feb 11
Email with case number : Feb 12
Date of acknowledgement by letter : Feb 12
Date of email requesting biometrics: Feb 11
Biometrics done:
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 pm
Thank you everyone. I was able to get some pictures from a local photographer that meet the requirements. Now I have another question. The pictures he gave me are several pictures one one sheet. There is space between each picture. Should I cut them into individual pictures, or leave them all on the same sheet?
I'm my opinion, you'd have to cut them. It's standard for all passport photos to be printed on a grid and then cut. How many photos does the passport application require ? Surely not all 6 ?

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:33 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 pm

Current State :(

Eligibility Criteria: UKM
Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: Online with documents sent via DHL
Payment method: Credit card
Date of application: Dec 17, 2018
Date documents sent: Dec 19, 2018
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: Dec 18, 2018
Date of receipt by UKVI: Dec 21, 2018
Date funds withdrawn: Dec 18, 2018
Date of letter requesting bio-metrics: PENDING
Bio-metrics done: PENDING
Date of approval: PENDING
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date applied for passport: PENDING
Date passports received: PENDING
Following your process. I think I saw you asking if there was anyone that would be doing ceremony in Atlanta. I would be, unless my sister and I decide to do together in PA. Are you still waiting on biometric appointment invite? We got that before we even got our acknowledgement emails. We look to now be at similar points in the process.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:01 pm

sunburn wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 pm
luthersnowak wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 pm
Thank you everyone. I was able to get some pictures from a local photographer that meet the requirements. Now I have another question. The pictures he gave me are several pictures one one sheet. There is space between each picture. Should I cut them into individual pictures, or leave them all on the same sheet?
I'm my opinion, you'd have to cut them. It's standard for all passport photos to be printed on a grid and then cut. How many photos does the passport application require ? Surely not all 6 ?
No. It’s only 2, but I’m a little apprehensive about the idea of cutting them.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:26 pm

keh723 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:33 pm
bletchlypark wrote:

Following your process. I think I saw you asking if there was anyone that would be doing ceremony in Atlanta. I would be, unless my sister and I decide to do together in PA. Are you still waiting on biometric appointment invite? We got that before we even got our acknowledgement emails. We look to now be at similar points in the process.
Yeah still nothing, I got an email back the day I applied and that is it. It's not your fault but I am getting a bit frustrated seeing that you just applied at the end of Jan and already have bio-metrics scheduled. Frankly I should be a month ahead of you. I mean WTF, I am starting to get a but angry about it. There should be nothing controversial about my application, I am not Romin or anything my mother was born in Surrey and lived there until she was 18.

I am still planning on Atlanta if they ever get around to processing my application.

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:38 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:26 pm
keh723 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:33 pm
bletchlypark wrote:

Yeah still nothing, I got an email back the day I applied and that is it. It's not your fault but I am getting a bit frustrated seeing that you just applied at the end of Jan and already have bio-metrics scheduled. Frankly I should be a month ahead of you. I mean WTF, I am starting to get a but angry about it. There should be nothing controversial about my application, I am not Romin or anything my mother was born in Surrey and lived there until she was 18.

I am still planning on Atlanta if they ever get around to processing my application.
I completely understand your frustration. The only difference I see between us is that I did not apply online. I only sent paper form. I’m straight forward as well, and my mother also lived in Surrey. Our family lived in Dorking.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:03 pm

I am tempted to pay for an email inquiry at this point but I guess I'll just wait a bit longer.

This is twice now that people who have sent in paper applications have apparently jumped me in the process. I would not apply online if I could do it over.

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:07 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:03 pm
I am tempted to pay for an email inquiry at this point but I guess I'll just wait a bit longer.

This is twice now that people who have sent in paper applications have apparently jumped me in the process. I would not apply online if I could do it over.
Would lead me to believe that matching documents to online application may be the holdup.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:23 pm

I don't think it's fair to state that those who get their biometrics sooner are jumping ahead. The total processing time has remained essentially around 90-110 days for the vast majority of applicants in the last few years. Those who get their biometrics sooner, just wait longer (2 months) to approval. On the other hand, a late biometrics request recipient like me (2 months after online application) got approval 1.5 weeks after biometrics. I don't see any one of them as better.

Luthersnowak, as an early Romein applicant, took much longer than 3 months total time, but standard applicants should expect the processing time to be generally on track.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pm

sunburn wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Luthersnowak, as an early Romein applicant, took much longer than 3 months total time, but standard applicants should expect the processing time to be generally on track.
Agreed. My application took right at 6 months. It was approximately 2 months between the submission acknowledgement email and biometric request email. That being said, if it goes on 3 months without hearing anything about biometrics, I would contact the support centre.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 pm

sunburn wrote:
I don't think it's fair to state that those who get their biometrics sooner are jumping ahead. The total processing time has remained essentially around 90-110 days for the vast majority of applicants in the last few years. Those who get their biometrics sooner, just wait longer (2 months) to approval. On the other hand, a late biometrics request recipient like me (2 months after online application) got approval 1.5 weeks after biometrics. I don't see any one of them as better.
That might very well be true but as it is right now it sure doesn't feel that way to me.

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:35 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 pm
sunburn wrote:
That might very well be true but as it is right now it sure doesn't feel that way to me.
I’m interested to follow both our processes and see....Either way, it’ll all be worth it in the end.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pm
Agreed. My application took right at 6 months. It was approximately 2 months between the submission acknowledgement email and biometric request email. That being said, if it goes on 3 months without hearing anything about biometrics, I would contact the support centre.
Yes I too agree that's a sensible guideline.

A scan of my tracking information of ~25 UKM applicants gleaned off this thread and elsewhere shows a shortest processing time (application to approval date) of 70 and longest of 214 days. Mine was 100, Luthersnowak is 163. The group includes about 70% getting biometrics notices early and the rest ~2 months hence. There are a few long poles, like the early Romein applicants.

However, no one gets approved in days, if that's the assumption regarding early biometrics recipients - they just wait longer after. Yes, the process could be more predictable and transparent for all, particularly since this is simply a system of registration, and it's true that it's not.

jellybean19
United Kingdom

Post by jellybean19 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:11 pm

I always thought I was a patient person, but this has proved me so wrong, it's the not hearing anything and not knowing.
And, what I hate most of all is they have all my documents and I'm stuck without my passport lol. Because I sent off my application for UKM via post option ( I live in the UK , have done so since I was 5 months old, back in 1970). I got to my 6th week ( had biometrics done on Feb 1st) and have just filled in my request for docs back online last Thursday 7th Feb late afternoon, I was told I could request for them back from 6-8 weeks ( docs arrived to them 28th Dec 2018) to which I got a reference number and message saying return of documents will be within 10 working days. I wish I'd known about the Centres you could go too that opened last November. So, I'd of kept hold of my documents / passport but I didn't know about it as I'd already printed my form in September and had it sat in my folder ready to fill in, get signed by friends and send when I was ready to send off.

Soon as I hear anything I will update my timeline experience again, but for now I'm watching for my tracking number to show on the post offices website to say documents are in their system ( though I'm only day 4 from requesting them back ) ....anxiety levels are high..

jellybean19
United Kingdom

Post by jellybean19 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Update on my UKM application...

My timeline is as follows:

Applying from: UK
Date sent to UKVI - 27th Dec 2018 ( next day , tracked service with P/O)
UKVI in Liverpool received my Form & Docs - 28th Dec 2018
Date money gone off account: Tuesday 29th 2019
Email with case number : Wednesday 30th Jan 2019
Date of acknowledgement by letter : Letter dated 29th Jan 2019, received in post Friday 1st Feb 2019
Date of letter requesting biometrics: Letter dated 29th Jan 2019, received in post Friday 1st Feb 2019
Biometrics done: Friday 1st Feb 2019
Requested documents be Returned: Thursday 7th Feb 2019
Documents arrived back : Thursday 14th Feb 2019
Date of approval: ----
Date of ceremony: ---
Date applied for passports: ----

My documents have been returned to me, after I requested them last Thursday. Letter included states once process begins on your application we may need to request them again. Seems weird to me when they photocopy passports/documents in the centres you can book an appointment for. Anyway, I feel better just having my documents safe with me and I await the next time I hear from them.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:53 pm

jellybean19 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Date of acknowledgement by letter : Letter dated 29th Jan 2019, received in post Friday 1st Feb 2019
Date of letter requesting biometrics: Letter dated 29th Jan 2019, received in post Friday 1st Feb 2019

My documents have been returned to me, after I requested them last Thursday. Letter included states once process begins on your application we may need to request them again. Seems weird to me when they photocopy passports/documents in the centres you can book an appointment for. Anyway, I feel better just having my documents safe with me and I await the next time I hear from them.
Good news, you seem to be moving right along. I'd love to get my docs back at this point.

jellybean19
United Kingdom

Post by jellybean19 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:25 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:53 pm
jellybean19 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Good news, you seem to be moving right along. I'd love to get my docs back at this point.
I filled in the online form , as I'm in the UK , so requested them back like I was told I could around 6-8 weeks from sending in. Had to put in my details , case no, choose what documents ( I selected all and typed in the box the rest) , at the end I got a ref number starting with ROD, which said I should received documents back within 10 working days. Then it was just watching my tracked, special delivery I'd paid for , for them to be returned. It's horrible not having my docs and was stressing me out. I wasn't sleeping ( i suffer with anxiety so that's not helpful) . Now got to wait to hear re biometrics and then a letter hopefully with approval. My case will hopefully be straight forward. Now to wait so more.

Conky2
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Conky2 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:43 pm

This is such an informative thread. My wifes application for UKM was received by the UkVI on 7th February 2019 and i will update as everyone has done. She is a US citizen currently living in France.

My question is, assuming all goes smoothly and she is successful, can she return to the UK on her US passport and apply for a UK passport from there? Or must she do so while still here in France with me (uk citizen but she is returning alone..) ?

Thank you

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Conky2 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:43 pm
This is such an informative thread. My wifes application for UKM was received by the UkVI on 7th February 2019 and i will update as everyone has done. She is a US citizen currently living in France.

My question is, assuming all goes smoothly and she is successful, can she return to the UK on her US passport and apply for a UK passport from there? Or must she do so while still here in France with me (uk citizen but she is returning alone..) ?

Thank you
I am not an expert on this matter so hopefully someone else will chime in. However, if she were to go through the entire process and become a citizen I would think it would be right to wait for her UK passport and enter the country as a citizen. If she is a British citizen she isn't supposed to enter the country on her US passport. Same if she travels back to the US, she should enter on her US passport.

Conky2
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Conky2 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks for that, and i know where you are coming from. I am aware that if you have a US passport, you are legally required to enter the USA on it, but am not sure that it is a stipulation for the UK.

Time will tell....

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:12 am

I was contacted by the SF consulate a couple of days ago and my ceremony is later this month !

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:35 am

sunburn wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:12 am
I was contacted by the SF consulate a couple of days ago and my ceremony is later this month !
Congratulations!

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:41 am

Conky2 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:39 pm
Thanks for that, and i know where you are coming from. I am aware that if you have a US passport, you are legally required to enter the USA on it, but am not sure that it is a stipulation for the UK.

Time will tell....
I wasn’t saying that only applies to the US. It applies to every country. If you are a dual citizen you are always supposed to enter on the passport of the country you are a citizen of. If you will get in trouble of doing for not doing that is another question. Technically if she enters the UK on a US passport that is a temporary tourist visa. I’m pretty sure if she walks up to the customs officer and says she is a UK citizen and plans to stay indefinitely but presents a US passport that will cause problems.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:22 pm

sunburn wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:12 am
Awesome! Congratulations!! Almost there.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:42 pm

Just curious how many of us are planning to move to the UK after this process?

I am not sure but thinking about it more and more every day. Anyone have insight on how to get a job lined up? Being American would it be best to start with US companies that have a presence in London or another major city?

Maybe there is a better place to post these kinds of questions?