ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ireland - First time passport applications timelines -2021

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

G Dog
Ireland

Re: Ireland - First time passport applications timelines -2021

Post by G Dog » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:26 pm

Well...that's my application cancelled. Applied on 23/09 last year, went through the hoohah of having to send in additional documents. I sent them and got a new issue date of 08/03. Just got an email saying they have cancelled my application as it had now expired and that the documents I sent in were photocopies (they weren't). They said I will receive a refund and have to apply again. Pain in the butt.

babyhalloween2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by babyhalloween2 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:55 pm

Patpatriot wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:42 pm
I found that the tracking bar is inline with the estimated due date and not an accurate gauge for when you will get the passport. For example, mine kept ticking up until it got to 100% on my due date. Since I didn't get it by then, it automatically went backwards to about 75% and has stayed there. I'm a month overdue today and it's still at about 75%.
Hello, thank you for this. Glad I'm not imagining it. Hope you get the good news soon!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:20 am

1) Online application received: 18/9/21
Supporting docs mailed from USA : 4/11/21 --was traveling so delay in getting it sent

2) We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
5/11/2021

3) Processing application: We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents:
30/11/21

4) Processing application: Your application is being processed:
01/02/2022

Estimated issue date is still: 03/02/22

Wednes. -Feb 9th, 2022 --email arrived asking for better photo (expected this) -new photo sent back on same date

Estimated issue date changed from 03/02/2022 to 10/02/2022 then on Feb 11th,2022 changed to 23/02/2022

On Sunday - Feb. 13th, 2022---status changed to "PRINTING" --estimated issue date still 23/02/2022

On Feb 17th my passport was mailed. Due to the US Postal System my passport looped all around NYC for 4 weeks!! They knew of the problem from me but were utterly incapable of rectifying the situation. Finally, it went back to Ireland who emailed me promptly. I explained the situation & it was repackaged. Last Monday it was supposed to be delivered but was delayed a day and I had to travel. My brother waited for it but had to get his kids. They came 15 minutes later & left delivery slip. A neighbor got the slip but was caught up in work so my sister went and got the parcel at local post office two days later and sent it to me with tracking # . I am happy to say that after 2 years & 9 months I am an Irish citizen with a valid passport in hand .(46 days in the US Postal System---Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr).
4/4/2022
Good luck to all --it's been quite the ride...still need passport card but que sera sera

jgclancy

babyhalloween2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by babyhalloween2 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:07 am

jgclancy - congrats to you! I remember reading your FBR posts in the other forum. Go and fill your boots with Guinness!!

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Post by _pikachu » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:15 am

jgclancy wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:20 am

Wednes. -Feb 9th, 2022 --email arrived asking for better photo (expected this) -new photo sent back on same date
Why did they request a better photo/why did you expect they'd request that? Was the photo submitted via online application?

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:23 am

Updated timeline:

23/09/21- applied online
11/10/21 - documents received
09/12/21 - processing application
14/12/21 - estimated issue date
22/12/21 - asked to resubmit documents
04/01/22 - documents received/processing
05/01/22 - original documents/ passport returned
08/03/22 - new estimated issue date
04/04/22 - application cancelled (due to application expiring / they said I sent a photocopy of ID, but I sent original documents twice)
04/04/22 - reapplied online ( I am going abroad this week so need my UK passport. I will send all documents in next week upon my return)

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:46 pm

_pikachu wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:15 am
jgclancy wrote:

Why did they request a better photo/why did you expect they'd request that? Was the photo submitted via online application?
Yes-digital photo. They said there wasn't enough space between the edge & top of my head. I was in a small town when I had the picture taken. They only did US size so I cropped it. Guess I cropped it too much. I found a free software program online later and resized the photo (not cropped) when they asked for a new one. They accepted it and sent my passport a few days later.

Just emailed to tell them my passport arrived after the US Postal fiasco. They informed me my passport card was returned as well and were resending it. It didn't even register in my US Postal Informed Delivery program like the book did. I didn't know they even had sent it. They've given me a new tracking # which I've entered in Informed Delivery -hopefully, that helps it get here.

jgclancy

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:48 pm

babyhalloween2 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:07 am
jgclancy - congrats to you! I remember reading your FBR posts in the other forum. Go and fill your boots with Guinness!!
Thank you--yes...I'm about to go say goodbye on FBR forum .A few long time applicants still waiting.

jgclancy...

derekkn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by derekkn » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:26 pm

29/11/21 - Application received
01/02/22 - Processing application - received supporting docs (took extra long because I had to renew my other passport)
29/03/22 - Processing application - application is being processed
05/04/22 - Printing

Let's hope this is all coming to a close at last! Given that it took me about eight months to collect docs for the FBR entry, it's almost three-and-a-half years since this process began. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Post by Angelo_2019 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:42 pm

G Dog wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:26 pm
Well...that's my application cancelled. Applied on 23/09 last year, went through the hoohah of having to send in additional documents. I sent them and got a new issue date of 08/03. Just got an email saying they have cancelled my application as it had now expired and that the documents I sent in were photocopies (they weren't). They said I will receive a refund and have to apply again. Pain in the butt.

This is what I'm afraid of.
USPS - 1 month to deliver application to Ireland
DFA - 2 months processing - verifying documents
DFA - 1 month additional - putting application in system, additional time after target date

I'm 4 months into the 6 month application, no feed back on any problems but spending a bit more time in "Your application is being processed" than average, and it seems there have been quite a few cases where they ask for documentation they already have to reset their timer (or in your case, cancel the application due to their delay).

Hopefully they are not taking lessons from the IRS (took a year to process return, trying to get penalties imposed for their delay removed).

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:33 pm

I'm done too, just got email similar to G Dog. Cancelling in 10 days. They had called my witness today so I thought I was finally getting it but then got an email and hour later. So after 6+ months they are now apparently saying they can't link me to my mother and her mother. My mother was adopted so on my birth certificate her maiden name is different from that on her birth certificate, even though her marriage certificate show both her birth last name and adopted last name.

NF13
Ireland

Post by NF13 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:23 pm

The cancelling issues by the passport office - Is this issue faced by applicants applying from the US?

Does anyone applying within Ireland or in the UK have the same issue?

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:29 pm

Just to clarify on my issue I went back and looked at my mom's marriage certificate and it clearly says my mothers adopted name and under that it is written formally known as her birth name. So not sure how that isn't clear?

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:55 pm

NF13 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:23 pm
The cancelling issues by the passport office - Is this issue faced by applicants applying from the US?

Does anyone applying within Ireland or in the UK have the same issue?
Mine was cancelled yesterday, and I'm in the UK. Should have been a straightforward application (I have been a citizen since birth as my mother was born in Ireland). Reapplied now anyway.

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:54 pm

Thanks g dog and Patriot for the update, I've set my expectations accordingly. Our applications, even though we're in different boats, have one thing in common, and it seems it's not regarded as straightforward.

aleapples
Newly Registered
Croatia

Post by aleapples » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:53 am

Hi all,

I’m a UK applicant via FBR, recently I sent off all my documents but my ID was a Color photocopy of my passport signed and verified by my witness who also signed the verification page.

Now I am reading that people were submitting their original passports. Is this a must? :cry:

JeremyNYC
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by JeremyNYC » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:55 pm

aleapples wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:53 am
Hi all,

I’m a UK applicant via FBR, recently I sent off all my documents but my ID was a Color photocopy of my passport signed and verified by my witness who also signed the verification page.

Now I am reading that people were submitting their original passports. Is this a must? :cry:
Others have done the copy/sign, as well. I'm a couple weeks away from finding out how solid that method is. :)

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:51 pm

JeremyNYC wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:55 pm
aleapples wrote:
Hi all,

Others have done the copy/sign, as well. I'm a couple weeks away from finding out how solid that method is. :)
I used notarized copy...no problems.

jgclancy

UncleBud
United States of America

Post by UncleBud » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:44 pm

jgclancy wrote:

On Feb 17th my passport was mailed. Due to the US Postal System my passport looped all around NYC for 4 weeks!! They knew of the problem from me but were utterly incapable of rectifying the situation. Finally, it went back to Ireland who emailed me promptly. I explained the situation & it was repackaged. Last Monday it was supposed to be delivered but was delayed a day and I had to travel. My brother waited for it but had to get his kids. They came 15 minutes later & left delivery slip. A neighbor got the slip but was caught up in work so my sister went and got the parcel at local post office two days later and sent it to me with tracking # . I am happy to say that after 2 years & 9 months I am an Irish citizen with a valid passport in hand .(46 days in the US Postal System---Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr).
4/4/2022
Good luck to all --it's been quite the ride...still need passport card but que sera sera

jgclancy
jgclancy, I'm so glad that you finally have the passport book in hand! I had major delays with USPS when my documents bounced from the US east coast to the west coast and back again, but I never heard of them going back to Ireland. Congratulations - you have persevered through the FBR and then this, and it has finally paid off!

UncleBud
United States of America

Post by UncleBud » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:18 pm

Regarding applications expiring...

When I was asked to submit additional documents, it took time to gather them and I was then sitting at 5 months since I had originally applied (I had a previous 5 week delay with the USPS that helped get me to that point). i asked the person on the webchat if I was in danger of it expiring. I was told that as long as I submitted everything within 6 months, that I'd be okay if the processing time went beyond it. I printed the webchat, highlighted that section, and sent it along with my resubmitted documents. So even though it went beyond 6 months, I received my passport book and passport card after going to the back of the queue.

So perhaps the expiration policy has changed since Fall of 2021, and/or my application was more straightforward than the ones that have recently been cancelled.

Good luck to all!

UncleBud
United States of America

Post by UncleBud » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:26 pm

UncleBud wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:18 pm
Regarding applications expiring...

When I was asked to submit additional documents, it took time to gather them and I was then sitting at 5 months since I had originally applied (I had a previous 5 week delay with the USPS that helped get me to that point). i asked the person on the webchat if I was in danger of it expiring. I was told that as long as I submitted everything within 6 months, that I'd be okay if the processing time went beyond it. I printed the webchat, highlighted that section, and sent it along with my resubmitted documents. So even though it went beyond 6 months, I received my passport book and passport card after going to the back of the queue.

So perhaps the expiration policy has changed since Fall of 2021, and/or my application was more straightforward than the ones that have recently been cancelled.

Good luck to all!
From reading GDog's and Pat Patriot's posts and looking for what's different from mine, it appears that the Passport Office accepted the additional documents which I submitted, but they did not accept theirs. And at that point the clock had run out for them to submit additional documents (again). Just a guess.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:05 pm

UncleBud wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:44 pm
jgclancy wrote:

4/4/2022

jgclancy
jgclancy, I'm so glad that you finally have the passport book in hand! I had major delays with USPS when my documents bounced from the US east coast to the west coast and back again, but I never heard of them going back to Ireland. Congratulations - you have persevered through the FBR and then this, and it has finally paid off!
Thanks--it has been quite the ride. I have the passport book. The passport card went back to Ireland as well. It never appeared in my Informed Delivery at all. They have reposted it after e-mailing me. I asked for the old tracking number - sure enough it had just looped around NYC then back to Ireland .Right now it's in Brooklyn heading to next postal point. If it goes to Manhattan it's doomed LOL Hopefully it heads towards me though...crossing fingers
jgclancy

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Post by Angelo_2019 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:10 am

I'm in luck, the DFA seems to wait and then advance to the next state just before I am about to try and contact them.

Passport application
3 Dec 2021 - online application - finally managed an acceptable photo with my phone
18 Dec 2021 - mailed supporting documents from US
12 Jan 2022 - documents finally arrived at DFA (US and An Post tracking, each held them for at least a week)
20 Jan 2022 - documents received, verifying - Expected date 25 March 2022 (9 weeks, not 8 weeks on site)
16 Mar 2022 - Processing - (past verification stage)
7 Apr 2022 - Printing
9 Apr 2022 - Dispatched - includes tracking number
12 Apr 2022 - At local USPS distribution center - hopefully it will arrive this week.

Good overall
Expected date was 9 weeks from documents added to tracker, not the 40 working days listed on the site. It did not change to printing for another 2 weeks after the target date (which still shows 25 Mar 2022).

No requests for additional documents, questions about photocopies etc.

I sent a notarized copy of my passport, not the original. The FBR was unavoidable, but obtained specifically for this; other documents were all easy to replace if delayed or lost.

In addition to the copy of the passport I also sent notarized copies of my driver's license and US social security card, and multiple other government postal mail and bank and utility statements. Even if they questioned a particular document, I'm glad they found enough to approve the passport application.

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Post by Angelo_2019 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:16 am

aleapples wrote:
Hi all,

I sent a notarized (color) copy of my US passport and the DFA has approved the passport - I'm waiting to receive it.

I saw they accepted a witnessed/notarized copy of a driver's license and did want to lose the passport or experience a 6 month delay. In addition to the copy of the passport, I included notarized copies of all the ID they listed as options (passport, driver's license and social security card). Notaries at banks here typically do not charge, and notary fees are low here even if they do (state limit of $5).

compuwebplanet
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by compuwebplanet » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:47 pm

Hi, Can anyone help enlighten me on my status. I got Naturalized with Irish children, I am holding a Nigerian passport but when I applied for Irish Passport I did not submit my Original country passport but submitted my PCS Ireland card with all the rest of the required documents. Can my Irish passport be issued with this without any issue or asking me to send in my Original country's passport ?

NB ; The tracker update just changed from verifying documents to Your application is being processed .

Please any advice ?