ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

noajthan

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by noajthan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:36 am

brazUKa wrote:Thank you for the reply. Yes I do have PR since the end of 2013.
Just wasn't 100% sure about this point 1.3 on the form.
Q2.4 is more important for you.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

brazUKa
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by brazUKa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:01 pm

noajthan wrote:
Hi, I left Q2.4 blank as I think it doesn't apply to me. That's right, no?

...the AN Guide says:

2.4 – 2.6 If you are a national of a member state of the EEA, or the family member
of an EEA national, and do not have indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom
you should complete these sections. Please refer to section 6 of the Booklet AN for
further guidance.

just to clarify my situation:
I'm a Brazilian married to an Italian since 2008. Had the 5 year already EEA visa and then in 2013 I've got Permanent Residence.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:16 pm

brazUKa wrote:
noajthan wrote:

...the AN Guide says:

2.4 – 2.6 If you are a national of a member state of the EEA, or the family member
of an EEA national, and do not have indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom
you should complete these sections. Please refer to section 6 of the Booklet AN for
further guidance.

I'm a Brazilian married to an Italian since 2008. Had the 5 year already EEA visa and then in 2013 I've got Permanent Residence.
So it applies to you!
You are non-EEA sponsored by EEA & you have a PR card - this is the whole key to your application.
Suggest fill it in carefully & accurately.

Also suggest apply via NCS who will be able to sanity-check your application, copy docs & send bundle to HO for you..

brazUKa
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by brazUKa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:22 pm

noajthan wrote:

...the AN Guide says:

further guidance.

I'm a Brazilian married to an Italian since 2008. Had the 5 year already EEA visa and then in 2013 I've got Permanent Residence.[/quote]

So it applies to you!
You are non-EEA sponsored by EEA & you have a PR card - this is the whole key to your application.
Suggest fill it in carefully & accurately.

Also suggest apply via NCS who will be able to sanity-check your application, copy docs & send bundle to HO for you..[/quote]

Initially I thought it applied too but the guide says:
"and do not have indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom"

I do have PR so no longer sponsored by EEA.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:32 pm

brazUKa wrote:...

You have several misunderstandings here.

If you leave Q2.4 blank your application will fail & you will lose your fee (without any right of appeal)..

Forget about ILR; you are evidently on a EU migration route and you have PR.
That means you do not have ILR.

You were sponsored by an EEA national (at some time) and you do have PR now.
Fill in Q2.4.

That is why Q1.3 about ILR does not matter. Because Q2.4 applies to your case!.

Appy via NCS and they will crosscheck your form is correct (to best of their ability).

brazUKa
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by brazUKa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:51 pm

noajthan wrote:
brazUKa wrote:...

You have several misunderstandings here.

If you leave Q2.4 blank your application will fail & you will lose your fee (without any right of appeal)..

Forget about ILR; you are evidently on a EU migration route and you have PR.
That means you do not have ILR.

You were sponsored by an EEA national (at some time) and you do have PR now.
Fill in Q2.4.

That is why Q1.3 about ILR does not matter. Because Q2.4 applies to your case!.

Appy via NCS and they will crosscheck your form is correct (to best of their ability).

In my understanding, once you had PR, didn't really matter how you came to have it, as in the end of the day, it's a permanent residency status you have so even if one gets divorced the permanent residency is guaranteed. On the PR card even says says "no restrictions on the holder's activity in the UK"

Thank you very much for the advice anyway. I will certainly apply via NCS but the website of my Local Authority says they won't help/give advice on filing the form as is a criminal offense.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:57 pm

brazUKa wrote:In my understanding, once you had PR, didn't really matter how you came to have it, as in the end of the day, it's a permanent residency status you have so even if one gets divorced the permanent residency is guaranteed. On the PR card even says says "no restrictions on the holder's activity in the UK"

Thank you very much for the advice anyway. I will certainly apply via NCS but the website of my Local Authority says they won't help/give advice on filing the form as is a criminal offense.
It doesn't matter how you got settled status.
ILR & PR are different forms of this happy state.

You acquired PR so you need to ignore questions about ILR & answer relevant questions about EEA route & PR.

NCS are not immigration advisors but they will sanity-check the application.
Worst case you lose the NCS fee.
Better than going it alone, getting it wrong & losing AN fee.

raha333
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by raha333 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi,

I'm due to fill the naturalisation application form. I have ILR based on humanitarian grounds (refugee) but I'm not sure which form should I fill? Is it just one form for all applicants with different types of visas or there are different forms like ILR application?

Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:43 pm

raha333 wrote:Hi,

I'm due to fill the naturalisation application form. I have ILR based on humanitarian grounds (refugee) but I'm not sure which form should I fill? Is it just one form for all applicants with different types of visas or there are different forms like ILR application?

Thanks in advance
Form AN. There is no other form relevant to you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

raha333
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by raha333 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:48 pm

CR001 wrote:
raha333 wrote:Hi,

Thanks in advance
Form AN. There is no other form relevant to you.

Thanks, really appreciated

ANODOS
Newly Registered

Post by ANODOS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Hello, I’ve got a couple of questions:
Firstly, question 1.3 on the form. I’m an EEA applicant who arrived in the UK in Aug 2004. Currently waiting for my PR card. What is the date I should put as a date I was given ILR in the UK? The question is referring EEA applicants to pages 10 and 11 of the booklet and there is no reference to this question there. Should I put Aug 2009 which is the date I was exercising treaty rights for 5 years or maybe Dec 2014, as the evidence I provided with my PR application was for 5 years between Dec 2009 – Dec 2014. Or would this be the date of issue of my PR card?
Secondly, do I need to send any other evidence such as bank statements/ bills etc or is it just employer letters / P60s?
Thanks

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:33 am

EEA citizens don't get ILR, they get automatic permanent residence and the home office make it exceptionally difficult to find out the date you've acquired this. Previous advice on this forum is to leave that question blank.

It is not necessarily the date of issue of the PR card.

No need for bank statements, there is no financial requirement for naturalisation. The last 3 pages of the form tell you exactly what documents you need to send.

ANODOS
Newly Registered

Post by ANODOS » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:49 am

Thanks Ohara. I phoned Home Office again this morning hoping that somebody competent will be able to explain what answer to put for q 1.3 for EEA nationals and again was told that this is the ISSUE DATE of my PR card. She also said that I need to wait 12 months from the issue date of my PR card before I can apply for Naturalisation, as otherwise my application will be refused! I explained that the evidence I provided with my PR application was for Dec 2009 – Dec 2014 as per HO guidance (5 years excluding the last 12 months) but she said that this didn’t matter and the earliest I can apply is in 12 months!

Have you received any firm advice/evidence other than the guide saying that you don’t have to wait 12 months? I’m thinking of sending an application directly to the HO, as my application is really straightforward (1 job, 1 address etc) but I’m not starting to doubt that this is a good idea and am considering using NCS, which in my opinion would be a waste of money in my case.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:00 am

ANODOS wrote:Thanks Ohara. I phoned Home Office again this morning hoping that somebody competent will be able to explain what answer to put for q 1.3 for EEA nationals and again was told that this is the ISSUE DATE of my PR card. She also said that I need to wait 12 months from the issue date of my PR card before I can apply for Naturalisation, as otherwise my application will be refused! I explained that the evidence I provided with my PR application was for Dec 2009 – Dec 2014 as per HO guidance (5 years excluding the last 12 months) but she said that this didn’t matter and the earliest I can apply is in 12 months!

Have you received any firm advice/evidence other than the guide saying that you don’t have to wait 12 months? I’m thinking of sending an application directly to the HO, as my application is really straightforward (1 job, 1 address etc) but I’m not starting to doubt that this is a good idea and am considering using NCS, which in my opinion would be a waste of money in my case.
First rule of UK immigration: don't rely on HO helpline :!:

Q1.3 relates to ILR - UK immigration route.

Section 2-whatever is for EEA nationals & covers PR card (dates & etc).

I'm assuming you are not married to a BC.

If you have 'historical PR' (acquired sometime ago) you don't need to hold the PR card 12 months.
You will have been free of immigration time restrictions for the necessary 12 months by virtue of your PR status;
(assuming you acquired it 12+ months ago).

HO guidance now covers this.
Slowly, slowly the caseworkers & NCS appear to be getting trained up on this point as well.

However its nearly always a good idea to apply via NCS;
for a reasonable fee they sanity-check the application & certify your docs for you.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:35 am

ANODOS wrote:Thanks Ohara. I phoned Home Office again this morning hoping that somebody competent will be able to explain what answer to put for q 1.3 for EEA nationals and again was told that this is the ISSUE DATE of my PR card. She also said that I need to wait 12 months from the issue date of my PR card before I can apply for Naturalisation, as otherwise my application will be refused! I explained that the evidence I provided with my PR application was for Dec 2009 – Dec 2014 as per HO guidance (5 years excluding the last 12 months) but she said that this didn’t matter and the earliest I can apply is in 12 months!

The advice you have been given is wrong and the Home Office have explicitly stated that the date of issue on the card is not the date that you automatically acquired permanent residence. The document certifying permanent residence is just that - it CERTIFIES it, it does not confer it. Alas, there is no need to even possess said document, other than for this application.

If you look in the AN form there is a question in Section 2 later on which asks for the date of issue of the PR card.

Check this post :arrow: http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1289482

I'm in two minds about whether NCS have actually got a clue either, while booking my appointment I was twice asked if I had my ILR card, despite stating that I was from an EEA country and I had a document certifying permanent residence. I'm going to be upset if they mess up my application.
Last edited by ohara on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ANODOS
Newly Registered

Post by ANODOS » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:37 am

Thank you noajthan!

Re q1.3 – I’m not sure what ‘UK immigration route’ means in this context. Would you say leave this question blank, like ohara suggested above or put Dec 2014 which was the end of 5 year period of the evidence I submitted with my PR application (and explain why I put this date in the additional information session)?

Just thought of another question – my name in my passport is spelled with a letter which is not listed in UK alphabet – an ‘L’ with a dash. Do I need to explain this in the additional info session? If I do, what would I call it – a special ‘L’?

Many thanks again!

P.S. I'm not married to a British citizen, and haven't received my PR card yet but applied for it on 12 Jan so hoping that it will arrive before 18th!

ANODOS
Newly Registered

Post by ANODOS » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:42 am

Thank you Ohara!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:42 am

ANODOS wrote:Thank you noajthan!

Re q1.3 – I’m not sure what ‘UK immigration route’ means in this context. Would you say leave this question blank, like ohara suggested above or put Dec 2014 which was the end of 5 year period of the evidence I submitted with my PR application (and explain why I put this date in the additional information session)?

Just thought of another question – my name in my passport is spelled with a letter which is not listed in UK alphabet – an ‘L’ with a dash. Do I need to explain this in the additional info session? If I do, what would I call it – a special ‘L’?

Many thanks again!
My take on this is leave 1.3 blank.
Answer fully in the EEA section.
Add anything else in 'further info' section of form.

As to names, this is UK HO position on 'funny letters'...
See Numbers, Symbols and Punctuation Marks (Diacritical characters and accent characters)
in https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... f-name.pdf

Suggest follow the advice on how to tranpose your name.
Where an applicant has a name including the diacritical characters listed above, you will need to explain to them prior to issue that the alternative
spelling must be used, the system must be updated to show the transliteration and a case note must be added to explain the change. Similarly, if an
applicant completes their application form with any diacritical characters in the name transliterated as above, but their documents show the corresponding
diacritical character, this should be accepted without any supporting evidence

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:43 am

UK immigration route is used by those not from EEA countries who are going it solo (not as a family member of EEA citizen). It is significantly more expensive and in some cases much longer. After a set period of time (usually a minimum of 5 years), someone on this route can apply for ILR - indefinite leave to remain - at a great cost.

The EEA route (which you are on) is much simpler and cheaper - for a start, PR or permanent residence (the EEA route equivalent of ILR) - is acquired automatically for free after exercising treaty rights for 5 years. The £65 you have to pay is just for a document that confirms you have permanent residence.

The Home Office will have the date that you actually acquired PR on their computer system so there is no point guessing. Leave the ILR question blank.

PR card for non-EEA national is not going to come in a week, in fact the average processing time seems to be around 5.5 months. You will need to enrol biometric information too.

Pesti
Newly Registered

Post by Pesti » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Hello All
I'm about to submit the AN application, just reassuring myself about a couple of things:

EEC National (A8)
Arrived 2004
PR document obtained in 2010

1) The application is asking about the journeys outside UK in the last 5 years. Shall I just stick to this and don't go beyond in providing the history (5+1) as I'd do if applying just after acquiring PR? It wouldn't be a harm, but accidentally, I was in Syria (5.5 years ago!), just 8 months before all the mess there started, hence wouldn't want to provide this info if not required, as this may trigger questions.

2) As I became a student (while remained in a continuous employment) in 2011, which was after receiving a PR document, I understand that CHI requirements didn't apply to me any longer. Is this correct?

3) I do believe that sending my MSc certificate from a Scottish University to UKVI would exempt me from the language test and I don't need to provide any other documents?

4? Is it better to send monthly payslips, or P60s (I'm continuously employed since 2006)?

Thank you in advance.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:52 pm

1) Last 5 years is what they are asking for. If you were doing anything dodgy whatsoever in Syria, you must mention it. UKVI will most likely know about this trip anyway and if they have any doubts, be sure they will investigate it. I suggest you read the Good Character section on the form and also in the Guide and Booklet very very carefully just to make sure nothing can go against you. HO could be interested in why you were in such a place.

2) If you already have your permanent residence document, don't worry about CSI! Once you have acquired PR, you no longer need to exercise treaty rights, and you won't lose it unless you leave the UK for a significant period of time (2 years+)

3) A degree in the UK will satisfy the English language requirement. Have you also passed the Life in the UK test?

4) You'll need to prove your residency for the last 5 years, P60's should be fine for this.

Pesti
Newly Registered

Post by Pesti » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Haha, I was not doing anything dodgy :) I went there as a traveller in peaceful times, no one had an idea that things will start to change the following year.

Thanks for your responses, actually I've passed Life in the UK yesterday and I'm off now to the Post Office to send everything to UKVI :)

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:38 pm

Make sure you were physically present in the UK on the day 5 years before HO receive your application. If you don't meet this requirement it is an automatic refusal :)

Pesti
Newly Registered

Post by Pesti » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:50 pm

I definitely was here in 2011:)

I think I've got quite straightforward case: 5y EEC + 6y DCPR, WRS compliant, all paperwork tip top. I've sent them complete set of payslips covering 2006-2016 (one employer!), no crimes, etc. Hopefully they will have the same understanding.

Just noted, You've applied today as well, but through NCS. We'll then be able to compare processing times, as I've sent mine directly via Special Delivery just 30 minutes ago.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:35 pm

NCS should post mine later today by SD, so both of ours should arrive at HO at the same time. Feel free to keep in touch by PM if you like :)