ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Croydon appointment experience

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kariarxy

Post by kariarxy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:18 pm

HI, Firsttime, how is your ILR application? best wishes for you,and wish u have got it!

Share your experience with us when u have time.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:59 pm

hi, guys. how long in advance do you guys book the appointment? cheers.

firstime

Post by firstime » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:39 pm

Got the settlements yesterday and here is my experience and the process is

- Securtity check ( like airport)
- check of the documents in ground floor
- the documents were fine, so was asked to make payment at 1 st floor
- then wait for number to be called for interviews
- no diffcult questions, felt like that the officer was not there to catch out anyone
- was told I will be granted ILR
- got out for a coffee and returned in 1.5 hours
- got my passport back!

Comments and tips

- they seems to be efficeint
- make sure you get all your documents, just in case
- make sure all your paper work is consisitent- for example, if someone is giving you money regularly, make sure you have a letter from that person. I overheard the guy next to me was asked where was his letter and he did not seem to have one!
- if you need any emotional support, feel free to bring a friend, boyfriend, girl friend or whoever, in my case I got my partner ( not living me me though) come with me and clam me down!

It was not a bad expereince for me and good luck for everyone

kariarxy

Post by kariarxy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:08 pm

Firstime, congratulations! I am really happy for you! So the excess absence is not a problem? Does the caseworker count the total absence? Do you need your company to provide a letter for you to prove that the specific absences are for business trips?

I am cruious about it, as I dont think my employer will bother to explain each absence is for business purpose.

firstime

Post by firstime » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:18 pm

I have got a company letter to say my absenses are business related. I also listed all the absent dates and reasons. The guy who checked my document in groud floor seems not too happy about the absent - there is a check list he made and he half marked the 'absent' cell.. Maybe i was just too sensitive- it could be just bad hand writing...

Strangely the casework did not make any fuss about it! She did not caculate any dates or check my passport either....

kariarxy

Post by kariarxy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:27 pm

firstime wrote:thanks :)

I have got a company letter to say my absenses are business related. I also listed all the absent dates and reasons. The guy who checked my document in groud floor seems not too happy about the absent - there is a check list he made and he half marked the 'absent' cell.. Maybe i was just too sensitive- it could be just bad hand writing...

Strangely the casework did not make any fuss about it! She did not caculate any dates or check my passport either....

Is it possible to share a sample of your company letter? I dont know what it should look like.

firstime

Post by firstime » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:44 pm

My company letter as

Dear Sirs,

I hereby to confirm that Mr x is employed by us with a valid work permit starting from xxxxx. We wish to continue to employ Mr x after his work permit expired.

The company 'a main business is ( explain it in one or two lines so they understand why you need to travel) . Mr x has been asked to travel for business frenquently due to our nature of the business.

We support Mr x 's application for UK ILR and please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

good luck !

kariarxy

Post by kariarxy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:19 pm

thanks, it really helps!

vic

Post by vic » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:04 pm

Congrats Firsttime.

Just one question - did the people on the ground floor or the case worker ask to see the letter explaining your absence ? (or did you handover the letter anyway as it seems this was also the letter explaininig that you are still employed)

Vic

firstime

Post by firstime » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:21 am

They did not ask but i handed it over anyway- but the guy did not seem to look at it for too long or using caculator or anything... but in my case i have not got any absence of more than 3 months ...

vic

Post by vic » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:13 pm

Thanks Firsttime

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Hi!

Post by Tamzin27 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:49 pm

Hi Firstime and everybody else,

Well done! Congrats Firstime! See, you were so worried. All that for nothing. I was like you too.

I'm so pleased to see that my thread has helped a lot of you. Keep it up and share your experiences. And help each other with your advice.

Take care
Tamzin

radi
Newly Registered

Post by radi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:44 pm

Dear Firstime

My 5 years as work permit is going to be in October. I was out of the country for 298 days in 5 years. But none of my visit excided 90 days at a time. Is it possible for you to tell how many days were you absence. It is just to have an idea whether I will have problem with this absence.

I would be most grateful if you could share me your experience regarding absence abroad.

Thank you

Radi

firstime

Post by firstime » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:55 pm

please see the post

Anyone had their ILR rejected for time spent outside UK?

Everything was discussed there and hope it helps

radi
Newly Registered

Post by radi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:34 pm

Thank you Firstime. I have not gone through that topic yet I will go through it. Thank you once again for your response.

Radi

marlasinger
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Re: parking available?

Post by marlasinger » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:21 am

global gypsy wrote:Is there parking available near the Croydon office (Lunar House)?
Or is it better to take a train to East Croydon?
Thanks for your advice and info.
Yeah, there's loads of parking. There's a shopping mall directly opposite, so you could park there. Or there is a NCP about 5 minutes walk from Lunar House.

crazydude
Newly Registered

Post by crazydude » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:00 am

Im feeling nervous already, just made my appointment for my FLR(M), can't wait to get it done and sorted, appointment made for 24 july croydon.

Wish me luck

Gio

meggles

Post by meggles » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:10 am

i will be applying for ILR based on WP then HSMP. (i won't be applying until 10-Aug-2008) (worry wort= i know). can you please check my docunments to make sure i have everything in order:

1. Initial Work Permit Letter, Dated 10-Sep-03
2. Extension Work Permit Letter, Dated 10-Sep-05
3. HSMP Letter- Dated 12-Dec-06
4. 2003 Wage Slips (September thru December)
5. 2004 Wage Slips (January thru December)
6. 2005 Wage Slips (January thru December)
7. 2006 Wage Slips (January thru December)
8. 2007 Wage Slips (January thru December)
9. 2008 Wage Slips (January thru July)
10. Mortgage Statement showing that I own my own house in the UK, and hence have suitable accommodation.
11. (6) Months UK Checking Account Statements- February – July 2008
12. (6) Months UK Savings Account Statements- February – July 2008
13. (6) Months US Checking Account Statements- February – July 2008
14. Current Passport
15. Passport on which I first entered the UK in September 2003
16. 2 photos with my name written on the back
17. “Life in the UKâ€

mvg
Newly Registered

Post by mvg » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:54 am

hi, marlasinger I just have a favour to ask I have booked my FLR - M for the 25th July was wondering if you could help me with the documentation tht you carried even though they did not ask for it. i am just as nervous as you were

marlasinger
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by marlasinger » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:51 pm

mvg wrote:hi, marlasinger I just have a favour to ask I have booked my FLR - M for the 25th July was wondering if you could help me with the documentation tht you carried even though they did not ask for it. i am just as nervous as you were
Sure, no problem.

The most important documents that they did ask to see were:

- Both my and my husbands passports
- Our marriage certificate
- Three months worth of bank statements and payslips

In addition to that, I brought:

- A summary of our income and expenses per month (just on a simple spreadsheet)
- Additional bank statements and payslips dating back about 6 months (just in case)
- An email from my former employer asking me to call them when I can work again
- A letter from the recruitment agency I worked through stating that they would not hesitate to put me forward to their clients
- A letter from my mother-in-law saying that we are living in her house, and that it is Ok for us to do so until we choose to move out
- Council tax bills, and a description of the house we were living in
- Photographs of us together and with my husbands family
- Various cards that we had received congratulating us on our wedding

That's about it. Like I said in my earlier post, they didn't ask any questions at all, and didn't ask to see the extra paperwork I had brought along. My main concern was that neither of us were working at the time of the application - and I thought for sure they would question it - but they didn't mention it at all.

It was very straightforward, as I'm sure yours will be if you provide all the relevant paperwork.

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on with it. :)

marlasinger

mvg
Newly Registered

Post by mvg » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:05 pm

thank you for the information you sure have helped me as i was unsure what to carry.
I have been reading this informative site and there is a lot of help and support. I am a student and hope evrything goes ok.

crazydude
Newly Registered

Post by crazydude » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:59 am

mvg my appointment is one day before yours, where is it? im applying for the same visa

mvg
Newly Registered

Post by mvg » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:20 pm

crazydude I am applying from the croydon office my appointment is at 9.00 so hope to get there by 8.30 still deciding on either to drive or use public transport.

crazydude
Newly Registered

Post by crazydude » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:51 pm

mine is 2pm they told me to be there at least 1:30pm.
good luck

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:47 pm

Can someone please suggest which date I should be considering to apply for ILR ?

WP Approval Letter Date : May 5'th 2003 --- This says WP approved and returning passports.
Passport stamped : Vaild until Nov 30'th 2004
But the date says : June 3'rd 2003

So which date should one apply for ILR ?

Thanks,
ND.