ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:34 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
tall_funky wrote:
Tier 4 wrote: I will speak to my adviser and drop out from my course, its point less if I cant use my skills here one I finish my study. Just save some pennies whatever you got left.
Cheer up Tier4!
Talking to your adviser is a good idea and try to get a cast iron guarantee from him about PSW.
Its not only about your money, its about time, effort, career options, etc
Money has gone, career UK has screwed, who cares about efforts. Advisor has a same old story “there is nothing they can doâ€

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:38 pm

luckylondon wrote:yes very true...they cant play with our future....if they really want to apply some new policies..thn shuld be applied to new arrivals....not to us who alrdy suffered a lott.....they cant simply change in middle of the game....we had paid a lott to thm and their university....plz take part in consulation and talk to universities or be redy to take thm to court....we all need to get united, same thng was happn to HSMP people in 2006 but they won..so we need to thnk too
Yes, I agree... but courts take time, money, and effort. Our future may already be partly ruined, spending time stuck here in court could be even worse... if it comes to court, that might be a lost battle for many already.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:08 pm

luckylondon wrote:yes very true...they cant play with our future....if they really want to apply some new policies..thn shuld be applied to new arrivals....not to us who alrdy suffered a lott.....they cant simply change in middle of the game....we had paid a lott to thm and their university....plz take part in consulation and talk to universities or be redy to take thm to court....we all need to get united, same thng was happn to HSMP people in 2006 but they won..so we need to thnk too
Yes guys lets form a group to start with.

I would like to suggest a name Save T1(PSW) - Fairness we believe in!

We can debate and we can take it from there.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:14 pm

[quote="Tier 4"]Advisor has a same old story “there is nothing they can doâ€

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:16 pm

Tbh, I think there is, if small, but a chance for us graduating this year to be safe... otherwise it's a flash change.

Keep psw for everyone starting before 2010... not realistic, honestly. This means there would be no reform to system, in effect, for years still. Government wants to show it's doing smth now.

Btw, cancelling it is the same as changing it, say, to phd students only. I can't get a Phd now anyway, not swimming in money, so it is same as cancelling it for me.

Slight encouragement is the letter which states it has to be announced to unis in advance... but that does not gurantee we're safe, those who graduate next year.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 pm

fibreman wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:
tall_funky wrote:
Tier 4 wrote: I will speak to my adviser and drop out from my course, its point less if I cant use my skills here one I finish my study. Just save some pennies whatever you got left.
Cheer up Tier4!
Talking to your adviser is a good idea and try to get a cast iron guarantee from him about PSW.
Its not only about your money, its about time, effort, career options, etc
Money has gone, career UK has screwed, who cares about efforts. Advisor has a same old story “there is nothing they can doâ€

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:19 pm

[quote="tall_funky"][quote="Tier 4"]Advisor has a same old story “there is nothing they can doâ€

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:23 pm

fibreman wrote:
Yes, I agree... but courts take time, money, and effort. Our future may already be partly ruined, spending time stuck here in court could be even worse... if it comes to court, that might be a lost battle for many already.
Well, I don't think so.
We should stick and win this together and guy's we can win this.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:27 pm

tall_funky wrote:
fibreman wrote:
Well, I don't think so.

Alright... say I agree with you... how long would a court proceeding take, cost us... and what legal basis do we have for this? I am not a law expert,
but strictly speaking student visa did not guarantee in itself psw, u have to apply(under conditions VALID at that time)... we can go for fairness, that we planned this etc. and I agree, but not sure how courts do it here.

Do you understand, what issues we face here? I have no experience with this kind of thing.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Also, one bad news... in the consultation, it says if u are for closing post work study, that's it. It doesn't say anything about phasing in changes...only if you select that u want changes to psw
It does say about the time period as well, it work like that :

10. What changes do you think we should make to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route?
What changes do you think we should make to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route? [Please note, the paper consultation document has an open-ended box for comment on this question] Close the route entirely
Restrict it significantly
Other

11. Over what period of time do you think the route should be closed/restricted?
Over what period of time do you think the route should be closed/restricted? Immediately
0-11 Months
12-24 Months
25-36 Months
37 Months plus
Don't know

12. Do you think access should, nonetheless, be restricted to only those awarded a PhD by a UK university?
Do you think access should, nonetheless, be restricted to only those awarded a PhD by a UK university? Yes
No
Don't know
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
Also, one bad news... in the consultation, it says if u are for closing post work study, that's it. It doesn't say anything about phasing in changes...only if you select that u want changes to psw

10. What changes do you think we should make to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route?
What changes do you think we should make to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route? [Please note, the paper consultation document has an open-ended box for comment on this question] Close the route entirely
Other

11. Over what period of time do you think the route should be closed/restricted?
Over what period of time do you think the route should be closed/restricted? Immediately
0-11 Months
12-24 Months
25-36 Months
37 Months plus
Don't know

12. Do you think access should, nonetheless, be restricted to only those awarded a PhD by a UK university?
Do you think access should, nonetheless, be restricted to only those awarded a PhD by a UK university? Yes
No
Don't know
I only see this q... from this link:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /students/

QUESTION 9
What changes do you think we should make
to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route?
a) Close the route entirely
b) Restrict it significantly
c) Other
If you chose option b) or c) please provide
additional comments and suggestions, including
on the timing of any changes and any transitional
arrangements you feel would be necessary

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:55 pm

fibreman wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:

Other

0-11 Months
12-24 Months
25-36 Months
37 Months plus
Don't know

No
Don't know
I only see this q... from this link:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /students/

QUESTION 9
What changes do you think we should make
to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route?
a) Close the route entirely
b) Restrict it significantly
c) Other
If you chose option b) or c) please provide
additional comments and suggestions, including
on the timing of any changes and any transitional
arrangements you feel would be necessary
I said do whatever you want to do but after 25-36 Months cos i m Graduating in Oct 2012, still got almost 2 years. What on earth can i do, besides my international co-ordinator is complete dummy, all she cares is about her nails.
N/A

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:00 pm

Guy's this is interesting, have a look!

Below mentioned MBA provision was exactly the same as T1(PSW) in the sense once you graduate, you were straight on HSMP.
http://www.bia.homeo...ontransitional/

Point to be noted here is when UKBA removed MBA Provision, they put transitional arrangements in place.
I hope they will do the same this time as well, if not you all know whose door we gonaa knock next.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:03 pm

fibreman wrote:
tall_funky wrote:
fibreman wrote:
Well, I don't think so.

Alright... say I agree with you... how long would a court proceeding take, cost us... and what legal basis do we have for this? I am not a law expert,
but strictly speaking student visa did not guarantee in itself psw, u have to apply(under conditions VALID at that time)... we can go for fairness, that we planned this etc. and I agree, but not sure how courts do it here.

Do you understand, what issues we face here? I have no experience with this kind of thing.
Even i'm not legal expert but my common sense with a bit of googling gives me hope and i'm sure we can win this, if it comes to that!

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:04 pm

tall_funky wrote:Guy's this is interesting, have a look!

Below mentioned MBA provision was exactly the same as T1(PSW) in the sense once you graduate, you were straight on HSMP.

Point to be noted here is when UKBA removed MBA Provision, they put transitional arrangements in place.
I hope they will do the same this time as well, if not you all know whose door we gonaa knock next.
Bingo! This is what I was looking for... :)
Now we can refer to previous decision, saying we would be discriminated otherwise... :) Save this page, lol. That could up in the court...

gws14l
Newly Registered

Post by gws14l » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:07 pm

You know what, I think the best way we can do is telling all of international students in our university about this visa problem, especially non EU students.

The more people are involved in this consultation, the bigger chance that the UK government gives us attention.

I just sent an email to International Student Association in my university asking them to inform all of international students in my university because I realized that not so many people aware about this visa problem. If they won't help, I'm gonna inform all of international students using my own way.

So, instead of thinking what the government should do, please start making a movement, then we can start making a move for this thing.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:50 pm

Why this link is not opening in my Laptop, can you please type a full address.
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Tier 4 wrote:

Why this link is not opening in my Laptop, can you please type a full address.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... l/#header1

is the full link... and it's right on the spot. This decision is basically the same, and now we can say we would be discriminated based on this. therefore, some transition arrangements are needed.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:48 pm

gws14l wrote:You know what, I think the best way we can do is telling all of international students in our university about this visa problem, especially non EU students.

The more people are involved in this consultation, the bigger chance that the UK government gives us attention.

I just sent an email to International Student Association in my university asking them to inform all of international students in my university because I realized that not so many people aware about this visa problem. If they won't help, I'm gonna inform all of international students using my own way.

So, instead of thinking what the government should do, please start making a movement, then we can start making a move for this thing.
Brilliant! I also think that they must allow university-degree students to get new visas inside the UK. They propose that all will be required to leave the country to apply for new student visa. I think they try to punish the best. University students don't abuse immigration system. Instead of monitoring and closing bogus short-term courses they want to make life harder for all university students. Students must also protest this proposal that you have to leave the country to apply for new student visa. If you want to get MA after BA or PHD after MA, why you should leave and apply with the rest of the world ?

prova

Post by prova » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:49 pm

After 8 weeks of consultancy they will bring the rules as soon as possible . It does mean they are introducing the rules before February to make sure the academic year February 2011 batch need to follow the new rules . Hence , there is no hope for those students who are expecting their degree on middle of February in 2011.Please vote for transitional period for atleast 1 year .

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:19 pm

prova wrote:After 8 weeks of consultancy they will bring the rules as soon as possible . It does mean they are introducing the rules before February to make sure the academic year February 2011 batch need to follow the new rules . Hence , there is no hope for those students who are expecting their degree on middle of February in 2011.Please vote for transitional period for atleast 1 year .
Transitional period must be 37+ months (there is such answer in the consultation paper). This is because students who started their study at BA degree or submitted documents several months ago to start BA degree had expectations for PSW. Also students who plan to apply for new course inside the UK had expectations to do so inside the country. Etc.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:29 pm

prova wrote:After 8 weeks of consultancy they will bring the rules as soon as possible . It does mean they are introducing the rules before February to make sure the academic year February 2011 batch need to follow the new rules . Hence , there is no hope for those students who are expecting their degree on middle of February in 2011.Please vote for transitional period for atleast 1 year .
I am afraid this could happen, but look at the link above... transitional periods have been given in similar cases, like MBA work permit, when it was cancelled.

On these grounds, we can say we are discriminated, and that this would go against what was done in similar cases.

Based in this, we might have a chance at court... but even 1 year, I'd be happy... btw, the reason they are in a hurry is that THEY have to notify Unis, so that they can prepare for changes... which means we still have some chance in this academic year.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:36 pm

The general academic year in United Kingdom starts from September every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_t ... _and_Wales
Last edited by Tier 4 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
The general academic year in United Kingdom starts from September every year.
Yes, true. Consultation only ends at start of feb... don't think a change will be brought in before March, say. However, to be honest, I think only 12 months max is realistic for transition period. 3 years trans period, don't think it will happen... that is, if it doesn't happen in a flash and I just get a heart attack one day, lol.

prova

Post by prova » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:00 pm

there are many universities who runs academic year from February . Even if you check London based university u will find the February courses.If they give 1 year transitional period i think at least we could survive for a while .