ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

WillAnon
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by WillAnon » Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:25 pm

Hello all,

Just thought I’d do a post here on my own application having lurked anonymously/unregistered for quite a long time.

Situation:
  • Expectant parent with due date in September (6 weeks after application delivery date!), but high risk of early delivery due to medical issues affecting pregnancy
  • Application online made originally in April 2024
  • Called DFA to ask for their guidance due to my situation and followed their advice in terms of organising/marking envelopes/emailing
  • Took several months to get all documents together due to a number of reasons - I am British but resident in a different country
  • Sent my application + supporting documents + sibling application
  • One sibling already on FBR and so I used the same (maternal) pathway/documents and included a copy of their FBR entry too
  • Minor delay due to Royal Mail first sending it to France, not Ireland (they’ve been a consistent pain!)
Timeline:
  • Application Online: 15th April 2024
  • Application/Documents Delivered: 13th August 2024
  • Application Acknowledged: 13th August 2024
  • Congratulations Email: 15th August 2024
I quite honestly thought there was absolutely no chance it would be done in time for our upcoming birth, given it could literally be at any time now due to the medical issues and having had so many postal problems. However, it seems all of my prior bad luck has been balanced out and I hope represents a turning point. I am deeply grateful to the staff at DFA. Now I can go back to hoping for good luck with the birth too.

I do not advise anyone to leave sending an application so late! Though this was absolutely not intentional. It's worth saying this was just my application approved - my brother's application made at the same time has not been processed yet and I suspect will take the normal time as he is not an expectant parent.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:42 pm

WillAnon wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:25 pm
Hello all,

Just thought I’d do a post here on my own application having lurked anonymously/unregistered for quite a long time.

Situation:
  • Expectant parent with due date in September (6 weeks after application delivery date!), but high risk of early delivery due to medical issues affecting pregnancy
  • Application online made originally in April 2024
  • Called DFA to ask for their guidance due to my situation and followed their advice in terms of organising/marking envelopes/emailing
  • Took several months to get all documents together due to a number of reasons - I am British but resident in a different country
  • Sent my application + supporting documents + sibling application
  • One sibling already on FBR and so I used the same (maternal) pathway/documents and included a copy of their FBR entry too
  • Minor delay due to Royal Mail first sending it to France, not Ireland (they’ve been a consistent pain!)
Timeline:
  • Application Online: 15th April 2024
  • Application/Documents Delivered: 13th August 2024
  • Application Acknowledged: 13th August 2024
  • Congratulations Email: 15th August 2024
I quite honestly thought there was absolutely no chance it would be done in time for our upcoming birth, given it could literally be at any time now due to the medical issues and having had so many postal problems. However, it seems all of my prior bad luck has been balanced out and I hope represents a turning point. I am deeply grateful to the staff at DFA. Now I can go back to hoping for good luck with the birth too.

I do not advise anyone to leave sending an application so late! Though this was absolutely not intentional. It's worth saying this was just my application approved - my brother's application made at the same time has not been processed yet and I suspect will take the normal time as he is not an expectant parent.
Congrats on getting it completed & the baby. They are very good at getting expectant applicants done on time I must say

jgclancy

Cplnobbie
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cplnobbie » Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:23 am

Thought I better put mine up to help others

Applied online: 3rd Aug 2023
Application form & Docs posted: 4th Aug 2024
Application form & Docs Delivered:
Confirmation email: 14th Aug 2023
Address Verification: ——
Congrats email: ——
Cert received: ——

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:28 am

I got this email email back in June still no update. Its been 2 months now lol
jackmckechnie wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:38 pm
Hi all

I received the address confirmation email on 29 July 2024. I replied to that email with confirmation of my address. I received an automatic response saying "this mail box is for outbound clarification queries from the FBR Entitlement Unit ONLY" Can anyone confirm that replying directly to the original email is the correct thing to do?

Thanks, Jack

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:48 pm

teranos wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:28 am
jackmckechnie wrote:
Hi all

I received the address confirmation email on 29 July 2024. I replied to that email with confirmation of my address. I received an automatic response saying "this mail box is for outbound clarification queries from the FBR Entitlement Unit ONLY" Can anyone confirm that replying directly to the original email is the correct thing to do?

Thanks, Jack
Two more options have ur application number to hand

Service Hub on +353 1 568 3331 to make an urgent request.
https://www.ireland.ie/en/contactus/con ... r-queries/

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:53 pm

Hachimaru wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:48 pm
teranos wrote:
jackmckechnie wrote:
Hi all

Thanks, Jack

sorry the contact us form is not fbr--apologies

cbetofop
Newly Registered
Seychelles

Post by cbetofop » Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:31 pm

So it seems at the moment it is taking just over 12 months for an application to be processed; assuming no delays due to "additional information" being required.

The DFA website is still stating 9 months for processing.

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:57 pm

cbetofop wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:31 pm
So it seems at the moment it is taking just over 12 months for an application to be processed; assuming no delays due to "additional information" being required.

The DFA website is still stating 9 months for processing.
indeed that also what Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs staets too

But I read somwhere they drafted in 850 to cope witht covid backlog , You do get the impression this influx are slowly going back / being siphoned off to their origonal depts again now- just my 10cents

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:56 pm

Hi

Thank you for sharing i called that number 3 weeks ago ,i think they have no intension provide any info over the phone.
They just tell you do keep waking.
We are literally waiting for my baby to get his FBR so we can return home.

Urgency for them is pregnancy or baby who cant get a foreign citizenship.

Cheers
Hachimaru wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:53 pm
Hachimaru wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:48 pm
teranos wrote:
jackmckechnie wrote:
Hi all

Thanks, Jack

sorry the contact us form is not fbr--apologies

JCP2001
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JCP2001 » Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:10 pm

Hi, is it normal to get the address check email and then nothing for weeks?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:47 pm

JCP2001 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:10 pm
Yes. They are still trying to catch up .
jgclancy

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:48 pm

JCP2001 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:10 pm
Have a look on the spreadsheet initial glances looks like 2-3 weeks with an outlier on 2 and 1/2 months

JCP2001
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JCP2001 » Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:51 pm

Thanks, where can I see the spreadsheet?

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Wed Aug 21, 2024 3:06 pm

JCP2001 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:51 pm
I think thers a link to the almighty spreadsheet on p 240
its doesnt copy/ paste well

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:32 pm

JCP2001 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:51 pm
On the previous page if you look back just a little bit, I posted it for another person who asked.

CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:22 am
GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:57 pm
The document is in this person signature in this post if you click the 'up' arrow for goingbackbacktoeire user or click link below for the post.

viewtopic.php?t=277641&start=7325#p2143848
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Htex
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Htex » Fri Aug 23, 2024 1:45 am

jgclancy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:01 pm
I have directly helped about 50 people with their paperwork for applying to get on the Irish Foreign Birth Registration through descent from grandparents. Many others with advice online.

My advice always tells people that "More is Better" and notarize everything they can. Why? It keeps them from requesting more documents & stops them from rejecting documents and/or witnesses. Once a document is notarized it is considered a government document. They are less likely to question such a document and if they do then they are basically saying you have committed a crime. Something they'd rather not do.

So here are a few bits of advice to make sure everything you do gets approved the first time. The people I have helped directly have never had a witness rejection or follow up for additional documents. All went through on the first pass with no questions or requests. Be thorough & go the extra mile.

For FBR just make sure you have a good, VALID witness. A garda/police officer is the best it seems to me. Any witness will do from the list. Make sure to add any extra proof that the witness is qualified. I once used an accountant. He included a letter explaining his qualifications, how he knew the applicant & that he was not related to the applicant. On top of that I had him include a copy of his college accountancy degree. Not needed but---> More is Better

Photographs----4 EU sized photographs - 2 are signed, dated, stamped (if no stamp use card or letter headed sheet with brief statement) by a VALID witness. Also, add the application number (it's says that in Section E on the application itself).

2 Proofs of address- again--More is Better--send 3 if you can. Get them notarized if you can. Notarized is better. Write application number on them.

Your ID & parents ID (if not deceased) - make nice color copies. Add certifying statement by witness(es). Have VALID witness(es) sign & date. Again---get them notarized , if possible. A different witness than the applicants can certify their ID since they might live far away.

Birth, marriage & death certificates. All need to be LONG FORM issued by the government. NO PHOTOCOPIES.
Only government issued are considered "originals" .

If there is any slight discrepancy in a name or a date include an explanatory letter. And yep--get it notarized if you can. They are used to variances in dates and /or names. One applicants grandfather who had come to USA finally returned to Ireland and found out he was 2 years older than he thought & had been listing on all his documents.

Yes--you have to send your, your parents & your grandparents marriage certificates. If applicable simply means If married. They use marriage to connect you to your parents along with the birth certificate.
Yes, some people have had FBR approved without one but many more get asked to provide it and then it's another 3-9 months until approval.
Also, if there is a divorce and remarriage they may ask for those certificates too. Include anything you can! My mother remarried and then passed away. Her death certificate had her 2nd marriage surname. So yes, I included proof of her 2nd marriage as well to prove her name change.

Application number on OUTSIDE of SHIPPING package. Write it big on both sides Application Number 00000*****

Make a copy of everything you send. Everything.

Make sure you have a third person (not any witness or applicant--a different individual) go through the checklist to be sure nothing is overlooked. I am NEVER the last person to check that the applicant has included everything.

When you send the packet make sure it has a tracking number no matter which carrier you choose.

I put everything in different manila envelopes.
One with grandparents BMD documents - outside has grandparents name / the application number & lists all documents
One with parents BMD documents. -outside has parent name / the application number and lists al documents
One with applicants BMD documents/ photographs in small envelope /each proof of address / application -list all on outside

Other documents. I have occasionally added are copies of Irish Censuses ( all 4 pages not just the Household page) if grandparent is on it. Not needed but---More is Better . I once added a Scottish Census because the grandparents had married in Ireland but moved to Scotland. Daughter was born just afterwards in Scotland. Her Scottish birth record mentioned her parents marriage in Ireland as well. The census helped tie the whole storyline together,
And yes---I had the applicant get it notarized with a declarative statement that it was a true copy.

A copy of a baptismal certificate can be included. Not needed but adds to truth of birth certificate.

A newspaper clipping of a BMD can be included. Not needed but ..you know....More is Better

Hope this helps - be thorough, include ALL certificates & documents from the checklist.

Remember, they are trying to be sure the applicant is who they say they are & that they can prove lineage to the grandparent born in Ireland.

The people processing your FBR are varied with different levels of experience. Anything that helps them decide your application is legitimate & correct
will facilitate a positive decision.

Technically, nothing needs to be notarized. They ask for a witness to just certify things. I can't tell you how many people get witnesses & documents rejected but it is not uncommon.
I get things notarized whenever I can which seems to be better in my never so humble opinion. If you don't that's okay too. In USA getting things notarized is rather easy.

Also, the term "personally known" for the witness does not mean they have to be your friend or any time period. They just have to believe you are who you say you are.

Sometimes a notary says they won't notarize an ID. Explain to them they are not notarizing the ID but that they are notarizing the statement the witness adds. Not the ID itself. Again, notarizing is not necessary. Just the Valid witness certifying is what they ask you to provide.

Good Luck---jgclancy
Hi jgclancy,

I have been scouring the web with the hope of finding an authority that may be able to guide me towards resolving my recently denied FBR registration and I would greatly appreciate any direct councel you may be able to offer, or third party resources you may be able to provide.

My mother's father was born in Co. Tyrone in 1895. His birth was recorded with the local parish and I have copies of his birth certificate. Sometime between 1911 (he was recorded in both the 1901 and 1911 Irish cencsuses) and 1926 (when he appeared in the English census) he changed his last name from his father's surname to his mother's maiden name. I have conducted an extensive genealogical assessment and charted his entire family lineage from (now) Northern Ireland to my home town in Northern England, including his marriage certificate to my grandmother, his signing of my mother's birth certificate, and his death certificate - all which align with his date of birth with his birth certificate. Moreover, in his 1926 English census declaration he identified the same hometown in Co. Tyrone that is on his birth certificate and testified his age in years and months consistent with his birth records.

My mother was one of nine Roman Catholic offspring to my grandfather and in speaking with several of them they have consistently affirmed that the reason he moved from Ireland to the UK and changed his name was at the urging of his patents to avoid the Irish draft of WW1. For this reason it is believed he purposefully avoided making any attempt to record his name change, formally, which wasn't even a legal requirement at the time.

The Irish government has denied my application on the grounds that I can't provide a legal document that demonstrates a documented name change from his father's surname to his mother's upon emmigrating. I have searched all legal publications with the hopes of finding necessary proof of his name change but to no avail.

Additionally - and while I realize it may not be entertained as a credible element of proof, I had my DNA sequenced and it not only demonstrated binary lineage between Ireland and England, but connected me to first cousins on my grandfather's side who were born and raised in my grandfather's home county and are familiar with the broad family lineage on account of their grandfather was the younger brother of my grandfather.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed to demonstrate to the Irish government that my clain is wholly legitimate. I've written to the Irish government twice since my letter of rejection but have yet to receive a response.

Any guidance or counsel you may be able to offer would be truly appreciated.

Best,

SB

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:32 pm

Hi jgclancy,

I have been scouring the web with the hope of finding an authority that may be able to guide me towards resolving my recently denied FBR registration and I would greatly appreciate any direct councel you may be able to offer, or third party resources you may be able to provide.

My mother's father was born in Co. Tyrone in 1895. His birth was recorded with the local parish and I have copies of his birth certificate. Sometime between 1911 (he was recorded in both the 1901 and 1911 Irish cencsuses) and 1926 (when he appeared in the English census) he changed his last name from his father's surname to his mother's maiden name. I have conducted an extensive genealogical assessment and charted his entire family lineage from (now) Northern Ireland to my home town in Northern England, including his marriage certificate to my grandmother, his signing of my mother's birth certificate, and his death certificate - all which align with his date of birth with his birth certificate. Moreover, in his 1926 English census declaration he identified the same hometown in Co. Tyrone that is on his birth certificate and testified his age in years and months consistent with his birth records.

My mother was one of nine Roman Catholic offspring to my grandfather and in speaking with several of them they have consistently affirmed that the reason he moved from Ireland to the UK and changed his name was at the urging of his patents to avoid the Irish draft of WW1. For this reason it is believed he purposefully avoided making any attempt to record his name change, formally, which wasn't even a legal requirement at the time.

The Irish government has denied my application on the grounds that I can't provide a legal document that demonstrates a documented name change from his father's surname to his mother's upon emmigrating. I have searched all legal publications with the hopes of finding necessary proof of his name change but to no avail.

Additionally - and while I realize it may not be entertained as a credible element of proof, I had my DNA sequenced and it not only demonstrated binary lineage between Ireland and England, but connected me to first cousins on my grandfather's side who were born and raised in my grandfather's home county and are familiar with the broad family lineage on account of their grandfather was the younger brother of my grandfather.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed to demonstrate to the Irish government that my clain is wholly legitimate. I've written to the Irish government twice since my letter of rejection but have yet to receive a response.

Any guidance or counsel you may be able to offer would be truly appreciated.

Best,

SB
[/quote]

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:52 pm

Hi HTex,
Sorry last post was blank. Editing timed out I guess.

Anyway, your best move is to get a lawyer and get sworn affidavits from you & other relatives about the name change and lack of any documentation. You can then appeal the decision. It's a difficult one and they can be rather rigid since the chain of descent is uncertain in their view. Similar situation happens with people having birth certificates with no first name on certificate or missing a parent name.
jgclancy

Htex
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Htex » Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:20 pm

jgclancy,

Thank you so much for the advice and guidance, I really appreciate it.

If it is of any interest to you, since I sent my first correspondence I received a follow-up email from the Irish government (the original case officer), informing me that she had escalated my inquiry to a senior examiner. It may be little more than lip service, but I'll take any movement on the case at this point.

That said, I took your advice and reached out to a couple of Irish law firms that represented specialization un such matters. I'll hold that option should the direct review prove fruitless and we move to an appeal.

If I may ask, do you have any recommendations for attorneys who you feel are suitably qualified to pursue such a case?

Thank you again. Kind regards,

Simon

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:21 pm

Htex wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:20 pm
jgclancy,

If it is of any interest to you, since I sent my first correspondence I received a follow-up email from the Irish government (the original case officer), informing me that she had escalated my inquiry to a senior examiner. It may be little more than lip service, but I'll take any movement on the case at this point.

That said, I took your advice and reached out to a couple of Irish law firms that represented specialization un such matters. I'll hold that option should the direct review prove fruitless and we move to an appeal.

If I may ask, do you have any recommendations for attorneys who you feel are suitably qualified to pursue such a case?

Simon
Members are not permitted to post the names and details of attorneys or adivsors on the forum. Any such detail will be removed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:53 am

Htex wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:20 pm
jgclancy,

Simon
Referring you to specific people is not allowed in this forum. You can use any lawyer to have an affidavit made to submit. Try an immigration lawyer.
jgclancy

Gmh90s
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Gmh90s » Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:19 pm

Hello all,

First time posting I just wanted to mention how grateful I am for all the informed information and updates this forum provides. I will share my current situation and a couple of follow up questions if anybody can help.

I live in England and was applying through my mother's father who was born in Co. Mayo.

Application received confirmation: 20/09/2023
Congratulations email: 23/08/2024

I never received a request for additional documents nor did I receive an email for confirmation of address.

My Congratulations email stated that my certificate has been printed and is in the post. Does anybody have an idea of timescale in terms of receiving the physical certificate?

Also, when applying for my passport do I need to send the original passport photos I sent with my fbr application or send new photos?

Any information would be greatly appreciated and if anybody has any questions I will try my best to answer although in hindsight I feel my application process was surprisingly straight forward compared to some so I might not have had to jump through as many hoops.

Thanks

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:58 pm

Gmh90s wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:19 pm
Hello all,

First time posting I just wanted to mention how grateful I am for all the informed information and updates this forum provides. I will share my current situation and a couple of follow up questions if anybody can help.

I live in England and was applying through my mother's father who was born in Co. Mayo.

I never received a request for additional documents nor did I receive an email for confirmation of address.

My Congratulations email stated that my certificate has been printed and is in the post. Does anybody have an idea of timescale in terms of receiving the physical certificate?

Also, when applying for my passport do I need to send the original passport photos I sent with my fbr application or send new photos?

Any information would be greatly appreciated and if anybody has any questions I will try my best to answer although in hindsight I feel my application process was surprisingly straight forward compared to some so I might not have had to jump through as many hoops.

Thanks
timescale varies, but a few weeks certainly; you're sending a new photo for passport
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Gmh90s
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Gmh90s » Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:27 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:58 pm
Gmh90s wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:19 pm
Hello all,

Thanks
timescale varies, but a few weeks certainly; you're sending a new photo for passport

Thank you for the clarification
Much appreciated

cbetofop
Newly Registered
Seychelles

Post by cbetofop » Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:59 pm

Just a quick post about the importance of documentation; including your application number on EVERYTHING and getting PROOF OF POSTAGE / CERTIFIED DELIVERY.

I received an e-mail from the DFE, Foreign Births Registration stating that they could not process my application as they required a long form birth certificate (showing parents names).

I posted the long form certificate 2 weeks AFTER my initial application as I was awaiting a certified copy from the UK GRO; but luckily, included my Application No. and obtained a certificate of posting....and scanned all the documents before sending.

I contacted the DFE by phone and a very helpful lady was able to confirm that they DID have the certificate from the information I was able to give her; and I was able to email the scans of everything to her as confirmation.

It highlights though, that even if clearly marked and confirmed as posted, the DFE Offices will not necessarily recognise different envelopes that pertain to the same application and automatically merge them - probably best to check.