ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ex73
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by ex73 » Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:29 am

ex73 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:12 pm
Absolutely delighted to have received my congrats email today. Thanks to all who have shared their journeys.

I didn’t receive an address check email- the confirmation email stated that my certificate has been posted to the address on my application. I phoned the office as I have just moved house and they advised that the certificate was only printed today and that someone would contact me via email in the next few days to confirm my new address.

My timeline:
Application submitted: 03/08/2023
Tracking showed documents delivered: 14/08/2023
DFA confirmed receipt of docs: 17/08/2023
Congrats email: 15/08/2024

Just following on from the above, I received an email from FBR requesting info to update my address on 20/08/24.

I had to send back via email proof of address (I had just moved house so downloaded a statement from my online banking). I got the same “This mailbox is for outbound clarification queries from the FBR Entitlement Unit ONLY.” message back then no response.

My certificate was then delivered via registered post on 28/08/24.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:09 am

meself2 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:58 pm
Gmh90s wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:19 pm
Hello all,

First time posting I just wanted to mention how grateful I am for all the informed information and updates this forum provides. I will share my current situation and a couple of follow up questions if anybody can help.

I live in England and was applying through my mother's father who was born in Co. Mayo.

Application received confirmation: 20/09/2023
Congratulations email: 23/08/2024

I never received a request for additional documents nor did I receive an email for confirmation of address.

My Congratulations email stated that my certificate has been printed and is in the post. Does anybody have an idea of timescale in terms of receiving the physical certificate?

Also, when applying for my passport do I need to send the original passport photos I sent with my fbr application or send new photos?

Any information would be greatly appreciated and if anybody has any questions I will try my best to answer although in hindsight I feel my application process was surprisingly straight forward compared to some so I might not have had to jump through as many hoops.

Thanks
timescale varies, but a few weeks certainly; you're sending a new photo for passport
When you fill out the passport application online you will need to upload a DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPH. You will print out 3 pages: Cover page with instructions of what documents to send, an Identity Verification Form which will have your digital photo image(witnessed like FBR) & a 3rd page containing an address label w/ barcode of application number.

When filling out passport application you will also need information on FBR certificate:

Foreign Births Register Certificate number: is top right.
Foreign Births Register issuance date: the date on the certificate.
Foreign Births Register entry number: the number with the 0000 at the start (but you don't need to enter
the 0s)
jgclancy

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:52 am

ex73 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:29 am
ex73 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:12 pm
Absolutely delighted to have received my congrats email today. Thanks to all who have shared their journeys.

I didn’t receive an address check email- the confirmation email stated that my certificate has been posted to the address on my application. I phoned the office as I have just moved house and they advised that the certificate was only printed today and that someone would contact me via email in the next few days to confirm my new address.

My timeline:
Application submitted: 03/08/2023
Tracking showed documents delivered: 14/08/2023
DFA confirmed receipt of docs: 17/08/2023
Congrats email: 15/08/2024

Just following on from the above, I received an email from FBR requesting info to update my address on 20/08/24.

I had to send back via email proof of address (I had just moved house so downloaded a statement from my online banking). I got the same “This mailbox is for outbound clarification queries from the FBR Entitlement Unit ONLY.” message back then no response.

My certificate was then delivered via registered post on 28/08/24.
Good info that everyone can benefit from Thank you

eastern1977
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by eastern1977 » Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:39 pm

Hachimaru wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:47 pm
eastern1977 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:09 pm
Does anyone know of a contact number to enquire on how an application is progressing?

It is over 2 years since I applied. Sent in additional documents requested, but not heard anything since.
Regretably it would point towards the docs you sent not being received as a speculative guess

Another no is
The contact number for urgent Foreign Birth Registration queries is +353 1 568 3331

Good luck
But if that was the case, they would have contacted me to refuse my application and they would have returned the documents I submitted when I made the application in 2022.

CA2IE
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by CA2IE » Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:02 am

I applied also in 2022, and have only heard from INIS twice. 1st time was 6 months after my application was submitted to advise that they had received my application, and the 2nd time was February 2024, 18 months after I submitted my application requesting a refreshed Police report from my home country. Nothing else, and this week marks 2 years since I applied. I remain hopeful, but am frustrated I must admit at the process timeline and sore lack of communication. Don't give up hope!

RudyT
Newly Registered
England

Post by RudyT » Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:48 am

Hi Everyone.

I’ll be receiving my FBR certificate soon, I was just looking at the passport application process in the meantime.

The form states that I need to provide an original passport from my country of origin. Does anyone know if this can be notarised instead? Or do I just have to wait until I have a few months where I don’t need to be travelling?

irishboi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by irishboi » Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:56 pm

I am now an Irish citizen! 🎆

Timeline (DD/MM/YYYY):
Applied online: 04/09/2023
Confirmation email: 22/10/2023
Address confirmation/supply another scan of passport (by email): 24/07/2024
Scan of passport emailed to DFA: 27/07/24
Congratulations email: 04/09/2024

So from first applying to receiving congrats email took approximately 1 year.

Documents are now in the post along with Citizenship certificate. Passport application looks like 4-6 weeks max according to these forums.

Very pleased with everything.

irishboi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by irishboi » Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:13 pm

RudyT wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:48 am
Hi Everyone.

I’ll be receiving my FBR certificate soon, I was just looking at the passport application process in the meantime.

The form states that I need to provide an original passport from my country of origin. Does anyone know if this can be notarised instead? Or do I just have to wait until I have a few months where I don’t need to be travelling?
I just had a read and it looks like for FBR first time applications, you must not book any travel - for the reason of you having to send your original passport. It cannot be notarised.

That's annoying as for tax reasons I must limit my time in the UK - and it takes 20 days (perhaps longer) to receive everything back.

Perhaps instead I'll fly to Isle of Man using my drivers license 😂

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:52 pm

For first time passport applicants using FBR:

If you are a First Time Applicant and hold a Foreign Birth Registration Certificate, please submit the following original documents. These will be returned to you.

Identity verification form.
Original FBR Certificate or a certified colour copy (certified by a solicitor or notary public).

Full original civil birth certificate (version that includes the name(s) of the parent(s)).
Original Civil marriage or Civil Partnership certificate (if applying for a passport in your married name).
Proof of address such as original government correspondence such as letter from the local government health services, local social welfare services or other local government services. These must be accompanied by a translation into English or Irish. Where you do not have government correspondence, original utility bills, or bank statements may be considered.
Proof of name such as original government correspondence such as letter from the local government health services, local social welfare services or other local government services. These must be accompanied by a translation into English or Irish. Where you do not have government correspondence, original utility bills, or bank statements may be considered.
You must submit one document as proof of name and one document as proof of address. It cannot be the same document.

Photographic identification.
copy of front and back of Public Services Card, or
original passport from another country, or
original National ID card from another country, or
certified copy of Driving Licence from another country,* or
certified copy of Irish Driving Licence*

*Copies must be certified by a Garda, Solicitor, Notary or the Issuing Authority

My advice is to use a certified colour copy of FBR certificate & a color copy of passport (if you have one) & a color copy of your Driver License --NOTARIZE them all!

jgclancy

irishboi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by irishboi » Wed Sep 04, 2024 4:39 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:52 pm

If you are a First Time Applicant and hold a Foreign Birth Registration Certificate, please submit the following original documents. These will be returned to you.

Original FBR Certificate or a certified colour copy (certified by a solicitor or notary public).

Full original civil birth certificate (version that includes the name(s) of the parent(s)).
Original Civil marriage or Civil Partnership certificate (if applying for a passport in your married name).
Proof of address such as original government correspondence such as letter from the local government health services, local social welfare services or other local government services. These must be accompanied by a translation into English or Irish. Where you do not have government correspondence, original utility bills, or bank statements may be considered.
Proof of name such as original government correspondence such as letter from the local government health services, local social welfare services or other local government services. These must be accompanied by a translation into English or Irish. Where you do not have government correspondence, original utility bills, or bank statements may be considered.
You must submit one document as proof of name and one document as proof of address. It cannot be the same document.

*Copies must be certified by a Garda, Solicitor, Notary or the Issuing Authority

My advice is to use a certified colour copy of FBR certificate & a color copy of passport (if you have one) & a color copy of your Driver License --NOTARIZE them all!

jgclancy
Are you certain about that? On IE Citizen Information website (https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/t ... -passport/), it explicitly states:

If you became an Irish citizen through the foreign birth register process – you should also include:

Your foreign birth registration certificate
Your foreign passport

It doesn't look like a certified copy would be accepted, and this rule is specific to first time applicants whose citizenship is via the FBR.

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 4:55 pm

Has anyone else had issues with obtaining certificates from the GRO in the UK? The HSE in Dublin were extremely efficient and delivered all the certificates I needed for my Irish paternal grandfather in good time, sometimes with limited information. The GRO, conversely, are really dragging their heels, and piecemealing my late father's certificates at a snail's pace.

Most frustrating not even being able to file yet!

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:17 pm

cbetofop wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:37 pm

An added complication arose, in that my grandmother's name on her marriage certificate was different to that on her now revised birth certificate and death certificate with the addition of a 'middle name'. I managed to contact the actual church where the wedding was solemnised and confirmed that the addition was her 'confirmation' name in the catholic Church. Another fairly common practice in the early 20th Century. I forwarded the response to the INIS with a covering letter stating my application number and original date of posting/receipt.
And they called you on that? And here's me thinking that all my ducks are nicely in a row here! Same issue. My birth certificate has my dad's extra middle name on it, whereas it's not on any of his other certificates (birth, death, marriage). I'm sincerely hoping that a covering letter explaining that - and a healthy dose of common sense on the part of the FBR folks - will suffice here, because God only knows how the hell I'm supposed to find any record of his confirmation. Not the first clue as to where or when that took place.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:41 pm

irishboi wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 4:39 pm
jgclancy wrote:

jgclancy
Are you certain about that? On IE Citizen Information website (https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/t ... -passport/), it explicitly states:

If you became an Irish citizen through the foreign birth register process – you should also include:

Your foreign passport

It doesn't look like a certified copy would be accepted, and this rule is specific to first time applicants whose citizenship is via the FBR.
Don't go by that website--My copy & paste is straight from the dfa.ie passport site

jgclancy

irishboi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by irishboi » Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:06 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:41 pm
irishboi wrote:
jgclancy wrote:
----

jgclancy

Your foreign passport

Don't go by that website--My copy & paste is straight from the dfa.ie passport site

jgclancy
Ah, I think you are correct then as on that website it explains for first time FBR applications:

So a certified copy of my driver's licence will be enough. I can keep my UK passport with me.

Cheers!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:11 pm

irishboi wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:06 pm
jgclancy wrote:
irishboi wrote:
jgclancy wrote:
----

jgclancy

Your foreign passport

jgclancy
Ah, I think you are correct then as on that website it explains for first time FBR applications:

So a certified copy of my driver's licence will be enough. I can keep my UK passport with me.

Cheers!
I would send a notarized copy of your driver license AND your passport. More is better & in my never humble opinion-always get things notarized. Why?-because notarization makes it an approved government document. If they reject it they are accusing you of fraud. Which they don't wanna do ;)

jgclancy

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:11 pm

irishboi wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:06 pm
jgclancy wrote:
irishboi wrote:
jgclancy wrote:
----

jgclancy

Your foreign passport

jgclancy

Cheers!
I would send a notarized copy of your driver license AND your passport. More is better & in my never humble opinion-always get things notarized. Why?-because notarization makes it an approved government document. If they reject it they are accusing you of fraud. Which they don't wanna do ;)

jgclancy

eastern1977
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by eastern1977 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:00 pm

irishboi wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:00 pm
Good news for those who applied September 2023 - they're now being processed!

Timeline (DD/MM/YYYY):
Applied online: 04/09/2023
Confirmation email: 22/10/2023

I received an email from the DFA on 24/07/2024 asking for:
1. To ensure documents are dispatched to correct address, confirm my postal address (presumably, the "address verification" stage).
2. Passport photo ID was not certified by the witness, supply a scan of this by email.

The certified passport photocopy was emailed on 27/07/24.

I am yet to hear back. I presume there are no other documents to supply since they did not ask for any. So it looks like once they are happy with the passport scan, I'll receive the congratulations email, and all of the original documents will be posted to me.

After that it's just waiting for the certificate to then apply for my passport.

My estimate is the "congrats email" will be in another 2-3 weeks. Certificate sent around October time. Passport Nov/Dec time.
I applied in June 2022.

They requested further documents in April 2023 which I sent.

I’ve heard nothing since.

Finding it very frustrating.

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:14 pm

Right then - update. It seems my first post in weeks from earlier today, bitching about the GRO, has had the desired effect - the last of the certificates arrived in the mail today.

So I now have:

Irish grandfather’s birth, death, & marriage cerificates. All relevant dates and first, last, & middle names uniform across all three certificates.

His son’s (my father’s) birth, death, and marriage certificates. All relevant dates uniform across all three certificates. First and middle name on birth and marriage certificates, first name only on death certificate.

My birth and marriage certificates. Birth certificate showing both parents’ full names, with addition of my father’s catholic confirmation middle name, which is not shown on any of his 3 certificates. I wasn’t at all worried about that until a few hours ago when I read that another poster had that flagged, but you know what? There’s nothing I can do about it, so I’m just going to explain it in my covering letter, and hope common sense prevails.

Three proofs of address:

Tax bill
Credit card statement
Internet service bill

All the utilities are in the wife’s name - they’re not gonna think a lack of a utility bill is weird are they?

Color photocopy of my US passport (witness to certify).

Four EU sized photos (witness to certify two of them).

OK, so am I missing anything here??? Because I am totally ready to get this show on the road!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:19 pm

[/quote]

I applied in June 2022.

They requested further documents in April 2023 which I sent.

I’ve heard nothing since.

Finding it very frustrating.
[/quote]

I would email them and ask your status.

Use this email: fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie

In subject line put ? for application # ( put your application number)

Just list the dates for when they received documents and any further dates and ask for any progress

They may answer & they may not but worth a shot. Might get them to take a look at very least

jgclancy

CityKev
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by CityKev » Thu Sep 05, 2024 5:27 pm

Re sending your current country passport when applying for an Irish passport when on the FBR or a notarised copy.

My son was registered on the FBR just over a year ago and he sent a notarised copy of his UK passport. This wasn't accepted so he had to send the original. He got it back within a week but that might have been just luck.

irishboi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by irishboi » Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:27 pm

CityKev wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 5:27 pm
Re sending your current country passport when applying for an Irish passport when on the FBR or a notarised copy.

My son was registered on the FBR just over a year ago and he sent a notarised copy of his UK passport. This wasn't accepted so he had to send the original. He got it back within a week but that might have been just luck.
Thanks for the heads up, that is useful.

The issue for me is for tax reasons I cannot stay in the UK for 20 days (or longer) waiting for my UK pp to be returned. I could fly to the IoM using my DL, and wait it out there, but I would rather not do that.

I've researched other sources including Reddit where those going through first time passport application via a successful FBR did indeed use a notarised version of their UK passport, and it was accepted. These were recent forums as well, so nothing seems to have changed.

Granted the below sources are Reddit, but equally, I don't see what someone would get out of lying/trolling on such an innocuous subject.

Did a solicitor notarise your son's passport copy and was it in colour? A black and white copy would not be acceptable. I wonder if there was an issue with the copy itself or the person who notarised or both?

Weblinks removed by Moderator

CityKev
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by CityKev » Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:01 pm

irishboi wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:27 pm
CityKev wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, that is useful.

The issue for me is for tax reasons I cannot stay in the UK for 20 days (or longer) waiting for my UK pp to be returned. I could fly to the IoM using my DL, and wait it out there, but I would rather not do that.

I've researched other sources including Reddit where those going through first time passport application via a successful FBR did indeed use a notarised version of their UK passport, and it was accepted. These were recent forums as well, so nothing seems to have changed.

Granted the below sources are Reddit, but equally, I don't see what someone would get out of lying/trolling on such an innocuous subject.

Did a solicitor notarise your son's passport copy and was it in colour? A black and white copy would not be acceptable. I wonder if there was an issue with the copy itself or the person who notarised or both?

Weblinks removed by Moderator
It was a full colour copy and we had it notarised by the Post Office. They are an official notary and everything we submitted for his FBR application was also notarised by the PO and all were accepted. It's probably pot luck whether the team dealing with your application will accept a notarised copy or demand your actual passport.

irishboi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by irishboi » Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:08 am

CityKev wrote:
It was a full colour copy and we had it notarised by the Post Office. They are an official notary and everything we submitted for his FBR application was also notarised by the PO and all were accepted. It's probably pot luck whether the team dealing with your application will accept a notarised copy or demand your actual passport.
[/quote]

Perhaps that's why it was rejected then. Irish immigration state that for ID documents they must be "certified by a solicitor or notary public", which the Post Office would not be either of those, while for other documents it would be fine.

I guess they wanted to contact the notary, but no contact details were available?

It looks like from my research a notarised passport is acceptable, and I will be using my usual solicitor.

I will update these boards with the outcome.

Thanks again for your tips and advice, I do appreciate it.

cbetofop
Newly Registered
Seychelles

Post by cbetofop » Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:22 pm

Daymo34 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:17 pm
cbetofop wrote:

An added complication arose, in that my grandmother's name on her marriage certificate was different to that on her now revised birth certificate and death certificate with the addition of a 'middle name'. I managed to contact the actual church where the wedding was solemnised and confirmed that the addition was her 'confirmation' name in the catholic Church. Another fairly common practice in the early 20th Century. I forwarded the response to the INIS with a covering letter stating my application number and original date of posting/receipt.
And they called you on that? And here's me thinking that all my ducks are nicely in a row here! Same issue. My birth certificate has my dad's extra middle name on it, whereas it's not on any of his other certificates (birth, death, marriage). I'm sincerely hoping that a covering letter explaining that - and a healthy dose of common sense on the part of the FBR folks - will suffice here, because God only knows how the hell I'm supposed to find any record of his confirmation. Not the first clue as to where or when that took place.
There are a number of posts on here from 13th November 2023 also discussing this anomaly.
Those posters seem to agree that such things as variances in 'middle' names are quite common and that the DFA/INIS are used to dealing with them, provided the first and last names tally.

I'm sweating a bit, because I spoke with the DFA two weeks ago (regarding them being unable to locate my long-form birth certificate - which was then located) and I received the 'address confirmation' e-mail the next day..............and nothing since; but looking on here, there are variances in the wait between address check and congratulations.

The address check requested a reply but it did seem to be to one of these 'cannot accept replies' e-mail inboxes.....so I hope they have in fact received it!

I'll post updates if there are any more queries by the DFA - especially regarding the 'middle name' issue.

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:09 pm

cbetofop wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:22 pm
Daymo34 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:17 pm
cbetofop wrote:

There are a number of posts on here from 13th November 2023 also discussing this anomaly.
Those posters seem to agree that such things as variances in 'middle' names are quite common and that the DFA/INIS are used to dealing with them, provided the first and last names tally.

I'm sweating a bit, because I spoke with the DFA two weeks ago (regarding them being unable to locate my long-form birth certificate - which was then located) and I received the 'address confirmation' e-mail the next day..............and nothing since; but looking on here, there are variances in the wait between address check and congratulations.

The address check requested a reply but it did seem to be to one of these 'cannot accept replies' e-mail inboxes.....so I hope they have in fact received it!

I'll post updates if there are any more queries by the DFA - especially regarding the 'middle name' issue.
Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about it. I added a paragraph in the cover letter pointing it out and explaining why it's there. As people here have previously mentioned, it's something they're accustomed to, so I'm not anticipating it being any kind of issue.