ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Frou01 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:38 pm

viv197 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:24 pm
Is it possible to ask for a private ceremony (that we would pay for) even if I we have not received an invitation to book a ceremony yet?
No, as long as HO hasn’t printed and send the certificate your council cannot offer any kind of ceremony.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:44 pm

My council charges £206-235 for a 10 minute ceremony (for the case they have the certificate and clearly offer it which they did for some who were approved before lockdown) and I would refuse paying that as first we paid for a ceremony with the fee and second feels totally wrong. Nothing justifies these excessive fees and it shouldn’t be on our shoulders as nothing what is going on is our fault!

Malikg123
United Kingdom

Post by Malikg123 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:31 pm

can you please advise me after how many weeks you had a response from complaint department its my 3rd week i am still waiting to hear from them

uuee6543 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:15 pm
crazihypes wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:25 pm
viscous cycle indeed, I tried my best but Haringey council said head office is very strict on only conducting ceremonies when individuals have received their invitation letter. I've filed a complaint with home office online and will be filing one today with my council.
I got a reply to the complaint I’ve filed with the home office today. I won’t post the whole response here because it seems it’s a personalised one at least but essentially they said they won’t be ‘upholding my complaint’ because it’s not their fault and they are dealing with the coronavirus etc. They also said I just need to patiently wait for my ceremony letter. They suggested that if I want to complain further I can write to complaintsreview@homeoffice.gov.uk so that they review their response to my complaint, which will take a month... An absolute joke.

My council (Camden) is also not being very helpful and I keep having to explain to them that people received approval letters before invitations because of lockdown etc. And worst thing is I have spoken to the same guy a number of times now and each time he seems surprised by what I have to say.

Anubhav357
Newly Registered
India

Post by Anubhav357 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:03 pm

I think we should all contact the BBC via Have your say

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10725415

There was a news piece they did about delays in getting passports; and it seems since then passports have been getting approved quicker than expected. Of course, passports are something that affected a lot more people; around half a million or so (as it includes renewals too).

I reckon there must be at least 100,000 people whose citizenship ceremonies might have been affected this year. (Being conservative; over 175,000 applied for citizenship in 2019 and not all get approved).

I think it's worth getting some sort of media coverage and investigation into how many people (even if the number is not in millions; but people lives are affected) are affected this year and how much money we have paid these services and the kind of treatment, we receive; and in the last leg of our journey to citizenship.

We pay thousands to get a work visa/student visa first/pay thousands upfront in international student fees to universities. Some even pay lawyers fees which is at least a couple of grand.

Then we pay two to three grand for ILR standard or priority service.

Then for the citizenship application, we paid over a thousand pounds.

HO has earned anywhere between two thousand at least to ten thousand per person over the entirety; of the journey from people who get to British citizenship stage.

The least they could do was to have some sort of online tracking system to begin with; and manage people's expectations in some way. Leaving thousands of people in limbo is no service at all. Of course, HO is now getting hundreds of emails every day and their staff can't keep up with the workload. Why some sort of digital solution not been implemented since March; clearly the councils either not being communicated with well or doing digital ceremonies is too much of a learning curve for them. Also, if approval letters could be emailed; why not email citizenship letters too. It's befalling noone in HO has bothered to come up with a clever solution till now; and there seems to no sense or urgency almost. A very nonchalant attitude.

A news channel ought to investigate this.

We might be on the verge of second wave soon, then there will be Christmas; then people/HO staff will be on holidays again/Councils would close for holidays; we need to something collective as soon as possible. Let's all contact the BBC

Tirinti
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Tirinti » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:38 pm

beaujam90 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:15 pm
Why couldn't the HO accept a signed written oath by email such as :

"I, [name], swear by Almighty God that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors according to law.
" Pledge: "I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms.

Written in [ Place/date] Signed, Approved and consented by [name] application number xxxx
See attached audio/video recording: [bla bla bla. 8) ...]
Sent to [xxxxxxx @ Council ]
The ceremony is not an old tradition. they introduced it just 16 years ago. Before people were taking the oath with solicitor. Maybe they should introduce this again.

Runner12345
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Runner12345 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:09 am

For the EU citizens, it might be worth to contact the 3 Million project.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:57 am

Tirinti wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:38 pm
[...]
The ceremony is not an old tradition. they introduced it just 16 years ago. Before people were taking the oath with solicitor. Maybe they should introduce this again.
Not sure that was the case - a colleague of mine who applied in the 90s told me the solicitor just sent the certificate through the post, no oath.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:43 pm

Runner12345 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:09 am
For the EU citizens, it might be worth to contact the 3 Million project.
I second that. Their campaigns and commitment are fantastic.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:36 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:57 am
Not sure that was the case - a colleague of mine who applied in the 90s told me the solicitor just sent the certificate through the post, no oath.
Was your colleague a citizen of a Commonwealth Realm that also has the Queen as Head of State(Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc)?

Before 2004, citizens from those countries were exempt from swearing an Oath of Allegiance to the Queen, because they already owed her allegiance through their citizenship of one of her other Commonwealth Realms.

Tony Blair had initiated many significant changes to the naturalisation/registration protocols circa 2004, such as oaths being taken in front of the local council (to highlight and reenforce the link between the new citizen and the local area) and introducing a requirement for even citizens of the Commonwealth Realms to take the Oath of Allegiance when becoming British citizens.
Tirinti wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:13 pm
Even settled status is unsure as the no deal Brexit is more probable and aster no deal they can cancel settled scheme and deport all of us.
Settled Status is provided for as a part of the Withdrawal Agreement which has already been signed and ratified by both sides (the UK and the EU). Even if there is no Deal, the Withdrawal Agreement will remain in force under international law. So Settled Status will not be going away.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:42 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:36 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:57 am
Was your colleague a citizen of a Commonwealth Realm that also has the Queen as Head of State(Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc)?

Before 2004, citizens from those countries were exempt from swearing an Oath of Allegiance to the Queen, because they already owed her allegiance through their citizenship of one of her other Commonwealth Realms.

Tony Blair had initiated many significant changes to the naturalisation/registration protocols circa 2004, such as oaths being taken in front of the local council (to highlight and reenforce the link between the new citizen and the local area) and introducing a requirement for even citizens of the Commonwealth Realms to take the Oath of Allegiance when becoming British citizens.
Tirinti wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:13 pm
Even settled status is unsure as the no deal Brexit is more probable and aster no deal they can cancel settled scheme and deport all of us.
Settled Status is provided for as a part of the Withdrawal Agreement which has already been signed and ratified by both sides (the UK and the EU). Even if there is no Deal, the Withdrawal Agreement will remain in force under international law. So Settled Status will not be going away.
Thanks @secret.simon - colleague was from Poland - I remember she was amazed I had to attend a ceremony with oath and anthem - no longer in touch as our employers sent us different ways.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

viv197
Newly Registered
France

Post by viv197 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:11 pm

Thank you for sharing the BBC link, I have contacted them. Please do the same so it can gain traction.

Best of luck all!

Soo123
Pakistan

Post by Soo123 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:15 am

Hi All
Is anyone here who got his approval in July via email and received his invitation letter?

Also anyone from Hillingdon borough ? The borough is doing the ceremony but haven’t got any new batch since March

U Aziz
Pakistan

Post by U Aziz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:48 am

Soo123 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:15 am
Hi All
Is anyone here who got his approval in July via email and received his invitation letter?

Also anyone from Hillingdon borough ? The borough is doing the ceremony but haven’t got any new batch since March
Hi Soo123,

I’ve got approval on 22nd June, still waiting for the invitation letter! I think Hillingdon did get some certificates for March/April when I spoke to them last time.

uuee6543
United Kingdom

Post by uuee6543 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:28 am

Malikg123 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:31 pm
can you please advise me after how many weeks you had a response from complaint department its my 3rd week i am still waiting to hear from them
It took around 4 weeks I think. They need to respond to your complaint within 20 working days which basically means within a month, give or take.

Wahidwadid
United Kingdom

Post by Wahidwadid » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:07 pm

viv197 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:11 pm
Thank you for sharing the BBC link, I have contacted them. Please do the same so it can gain traction.

Best of luck all!
I made a complain to bbc about our situation, Everyone should take the step so it might be a topic on there news.

U Aziz
Pakistan

Post by U Aziz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:49 pm

Wahidwadid wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:07 pm
viv197 wrote:

Best of luck all!
I made a complain to bbc about our situation, Everyone should take the step so it might be a topic on there news.
Hi Wahid,
Could you please share the complaint you’ve made to BBC?
I was wondering if we all go with the same text about the situation this might help!
Thanks

Wahidwadid
United Kingdom

Post by Wahidwadid » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:35 pm

U Aziz wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:49 pm
Wahidwadid wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:07 pm
viv197 wrote:

Best of luck all!
Hi Wahid,
Could you please share the complaint you’ve made to BBC?
I was wondering if we all go with the same text about the situation this might help!
Thanks
Hi U aziz,I complain them yesterday and didn't save any copy, I did throw the link that viv197 post, If we all do the same at the same time I hope they can help but they need to see how meny ppl mentally suffering to get the journey done,Then it will be in there hand to publishing,If we don't get our invitation soon it will be disaster coz the Christmas not very far and the min time they working on brexit.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:40 pm

I think I would contact The Guardian or The Independent as they rather report on those issues.

There are lots of articles about EU citizens for example reporting about various issues about Settled Status, physical proof of Settled Status and other issues.

Many EU citizens have applied this year to meet the deadline of the transition period not to use their Settled Status ever, but likely need to do so now as ceremonies taking forever.

Here’s the link to contact The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/community/2 ... us-a-story

Raihanul
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Raihanul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:42 am

Guys, next week will mark my 12th week since approval. What's the chance I get my invitation next week.

Newham Council
Appplied February
Approved mid June
Contacted HO email, no reply for 3 weeks

Soo123
Pakistan

Post by Soo123 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 am

Thanks U Aziz

I will call them on Wednesday they are doing the ceremonies I hope we all get our certificates soon.

Let me know once you get your invitation letter and I’ll let you know if I get anythhng

All the best

Runner12345
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Runner12345 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:00 am

Raihanul wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:42 am
Guys, next week will mark my 12th week since approval. What's the chance I get my invitation next week.

Newham Council
Appplied February
Approved mid June
Contacted HO email, no reply for 3 weeks
I have the same timeline. I think the HO counts 8-12 weeks from when they started resending certificates to councils not from when you got approved. This also explains why someone mentioned we should wait until 31 October, which would be 3 months from 1 August. I have given up hope to get my letter any time soon.

apostrophe
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by apostrophe » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:16 am

I wish the Home Office updated their website and included any info as to when people can expect their certificates. You guys have mentioned 8-12 weeks, but starting from when - is it even official info? Where can one read about this on any offcial site? Wouldn't updating the HO's webpage be easier than receiving hundreds of calls from people and telling them the same thing over and over again? I hope I soon receive my invitation and this madness comes to a long-awaited end.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:20 am

I have the feeling there’s no such thing then a 12 week rule at all.
Just reading about someone being approved 10 days ago and has their ceremony this week.

Besides I know people who wait since 14, 16 weeks and also by contacting they still aren’t offered ceremonies.

apostrophe
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by apostrophe » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:23 am

Frou01 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:20 am
I have the feeling there’s no such thing then a 12 week rule at all.
Just reading about someone being approved 10 days ago and has their ceremony this week.

Besides I know people who wait since 14, 16 weeks and also by contacting they still aren’t offered ceremonies.
Well, it's my week 15 since the approval, and still (unfortunately) counting!

preetham2103
Newly Registered
India

Post by preetham2103 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 am

[quote=preetham2103 post_id=1923907 time=1597412607 user_id=98959]
We are in a slightly complicated situation. My wife's citizenship was approved in Feb but the HO made a mistake by sending the ceremony letter to a wrong council (I live in Essex, they sent to Birmingham). I was able to redirect it to Essex and it took 4 weeks and the ceremony was set on 1st April. 2 days before that it got cancelled due to COVID. 2 weeks ago, got an email from Essex saying we are recommencing the ceremonies BUT our 6 month letter extension got expired because the initial letter was issued in Feb. Now they don't know what to do next.
To add to the complication, my wife's Indian passport expired in April and we can't renew it because high commission is not accepting renewals right now. So she currently has no passport and no idea what to do next?
Has anyone had such an experience & any guidance on how to proceed please?
[/quote]

I have an update with my case. I wrote to my MP explaining the situation and he influenced to get an extension on our certificate & a citizenship ceremony booked for tomorrow. So if there's anyone in a similar situation, I suggest writing to HO, your local council AND your local MP.