ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maternity Allowance

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

BOLANLAY
Newly Registered

Maternity Allowance

Post by BOLANLAY » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:02 pm

I have a pending application at the home office. I am currently pregnant and want to send an application to the jobcentre to claim my maternity allowance.
My question is will this in anyway affect my visa application.will the home office go back to crosscheck what benefits an applicant is currently claiming.if they find out that I am pregnant will it ruin my chances of getting the visa?

I am currently on PSW visa applying for a tier 4 visa to pursue a phd degree.

Thanks

quantum1
Member of Standing

Re: Maternity Allowance

Post by quantum1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:46 pm

BOLANLAY wrote:I have a pending application at the home office. I am currently pregnant and want to send an application to the jobcentre to claim my maternity allowance.
My question is will this in anyway affect my visa application.will the home office go back to crosscheck what benefits an applicant is currently claiming.if they find out that I am pregnant will it ruin my chances of getting the visa?

Thanks
http://www2.essex.ac.uk/stdsup/welfare/pregnancy.shtm

Maternity allowance is not considered public funds, so this should not count against you for your visa. However, since you are pregnant I am not sure if you will be able to satisfy the attendance requirements once a visa has been granted, and your studies have commenced.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Maternity Allowance

Post by Greenie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:48 pm

BOLANLAY wrote:I have a pending application at the home office. I am currently pregnant and want to send an application to the jobcentre to claim my maternity allowance.

Thanks
when is your baby due? have you been working?

BOLANLAY
Newly Registered

Post by BOLANLAY » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Baby is due in july,course starts in may.I hope to be able to get some study days off in July.

Yes I have been working for close to two years so I qualify for maternity allowance.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Do you qualify for SMP .... Statutory Maternity Pay?
John

BOLANLAY
Newly Registered

Post by BOLANLAY » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 pm

No i dont qualify as i only recently just changed jobs.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:56 pm

OK, so Maternity Allowance it is. No problem in you claiming that, nor using your Maternity Exemption Card to get free NHS prescriptions and free NHS dentistry.
John