ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 General - Visa Extension (Queries)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kushal18
Newly Registered

Tier 1 General - Visa Extension (Queries)

Post by kushal18 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Hello fellow forum members,

I had been granted leave to remain by going for the SEGS scheme in 2007, then the Tier 1 PSW in 2008 and applied for Tier 1 General successfully in March 2009.

I am in the process of finding out what are the supporting documents/evidence I will require to extend my Tier 1 General Visa.

I originally applied for my Tier 1 General visa in March 2009 - and had been granted permission to stay until May 2012.

Question 1: Qualifications

At that time, under the rules applicable, I was able to claim points for my B.Eng (Hons.) Software Engineering degree. However, looking at the updated rules and regulations on UKBA's website has left me confused as to whether I could still claim point for my Bachelor's Degree.

I refer to the following excerpt from UKBA's website (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... fications/)

HSMP extension applications

A very small number of people in the UK under Tier 1 (General) or the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme may have a qualification which has previously been assessed to be of a higher level than shown by the points-based calculator. These people may claim the higher points score, in line with the previous assessment. Appendix A of the Immigration Rules, which you can find on the right side of this page, contains more details.

If you are not sure what points you were previously awarded, you should email us atwpcustomers@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk.

In these cases, we will refer to our records. We will only be able to award a higher points score in very limited circumstances that meet all of the following requirements:

you are currently in the UK under Tier 1 (General) or the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme;
you are relying on the same qualification for which we previously awarded points in this area;
the earlier assessment of the qualification confirmed that it was equivalent to a higher level of qualification than is now shown by the points-based calculator; and
there is no evidence that you used deception to obtain the earlier decision.

I would be really grateful if you could confirm whether I have grounds to claim points for my Bachelor's Degree.

Question 2: Age

Also, the same issue also applies to the points I am allowed to claim for 'Age'. When I initially applied for Tier 1 General, I was 25 and claimed the maximum 20 points possible. Since now I am applying for extension of the same visa, am I still eligible to claim the 20 points as per the following text from UKBA's website (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ility/age/)?

The table below shows the points that you will score if you currently have permission to stay in the UK as:

a Tier 1 (General) migrant under the Immigration Rules in place before 6 April 2010;
a highly skilled migrant;
a writer, composer or artist; or
a self-employed lawyer.

Age on your application date for your first permission to enter or stay Points
Under 28 years 20
28 or 29 years 10
30 or 31 years 5
32 years or over 0

As you can see if specifies the age as 'Age on your application date for your first permission to enter or stay' so would I still be able to claim the maximum 20 points?

Question 3: Biometric Test

I have seen on UKBA's website that there is now the need for Biometric Test for anyone applying for a visa for a duration longer than 6 months. So far, I have only seen this on the Tier 2 section of the website. Can you please clarify whether I will also require a Biometric Test for my Tier 1 General visa extension? I will be applying in person at the PEO.

Question 4: Previous Earnings

Finally, and please forgive this lengthy post, I would also like clarification/further information on the earnings I can claim. I have been in Full Time permanent employment until August 2011 and since I started working as a contractor, registering myself as Managing Director of my Public Limited Company.

From the info on UKBA's website, it is very clear as to what evidence I need to provide for the permanent part of my earnings for the first 6 months. However, for the earnings accrued during the next 6 months as a Contractor, I am not sure what documents I will need to produce. Can you please let me know which documents I need to produce so I can give proper notice to my accountant to produce such documents for me as required?

Many thanks :]

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 am

I will keep this simple.

Q1 - I had the same situation (I extended 4 weeks ago or so at PEO), with BE degree, initially granted leave as T1 in Mar 09 - Mar 12. I had HSMP approval letter. You will be awarded the same points as you were with your initial T1 application. You must have gotten the points awarded letter with your HSMP application. You can claim those exact points, I did

Q2 - Use your age as of your May 09 application, I did

Q3 Yes, you will be asked for Biometric at PEO office after your case is been considered.

Q4 - You will need to submit the payslips, bank statements and P45 from your permanent employment that ended in Aug 2011.

Good Luck
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

kushal18
Newly Registered

Post by kushal18 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:23 am

Cheers for taking the time to reply :)

Much appreciated!

kushal18
Newly Registered

Post by kushal18 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:36 pm

*bump*

raxs1983 (or anyone for this matter)

I have the letter from the Home Office with the points that was awarded to me in 2009. However, this letter is dated May 2009 (the date when my current visa started) although I applied before the 31st of March 2009.

I was able to claim 30 points for my Bachelor's Degree - can I use this letter to claim the Bachelor's points again? Seeing as I don't have any other proof that my application was made before 31st of March 2009.

Just the fact that I wouldn't have been awarded any points for the Bachelor's degree if the application was made after the 31st of March should be enough of an argument no?

Thanks in advance :]